Start by marking “Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)

Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  406 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The sequel to Nekropolis

Meet Matt Richter. Private eye. Zombie.

His mean streets are the city of the dead, the shadowy realm known as Nekropolis. In book one of the series, Richter battled werewolves, vampire lords and gigantic silverfish!

That was nothing to the trouble waiting for him on Nekropolis’ Dead Streets…

“Fans of science fiction, fantasy, and horror, fans of noir
Published June 9th 2011 by Angry Robot (first published August 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Streets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Streets

Rabindranauth
Matt Richter’s back, all of him. Including his head. For now, at least.

Matt’s deep in it this time. Someone cut his head off, stole his body and used it to steal Osseal, a powerful necormantic artifact belonging to Lord Edrigu, Matt’s master and the Lord of the Dead. Framed, found guilty and sentenced to Tenebrus, the prison of Nekropolis, Matt is about to come face to face with some of his old acquaintances, people that would love to get a chance to put their various appendages on Richter. Not
David
4 Stars

Two great things happen in this installment.

First, it doesn't fall victim to the sequel effect, that horrible filler novel that is just there to help juxtapose the beginning and end volumes of a trilogy.

Second, it expands upon outstanding world building and great characterization that was introduced in the first novel.

This book shows an awesome world that has a different take on the various aspects always thrown around in fantasy novels. From vampires, to lycanthropes, technology and mag
Nikki
This book didn't start out so well, what with the repetition of descriptions almost verbatim from the first book and the short stories, but it's still pretty more-ish, like the first book. I read reviews of this when I was part-way through, for some reason, and had to laugh when someone said they wished Devona wasn't a character so it could get back to being a book like the rest of the "dick genre". Pretty apt way to put it, considering most private detectives have and are dicks, and even the on ...more
Alex Klimkewicz
Shortly after finishing Nekropolis I moved on to this sequel and quickly devoured it. Although this book had less copy editing errors -- though still many were present -- the text felt a little more repetitive and unoriginal. Also Waggoner has the annoying habit of making the narrative move forward solely through character dialogue. Sometimes zombie P.I. Matt Richter and his now girlfriend half-vampire Devona felt more like talking heads (which Richter actually was for a portion of the novel) th ...more
Jessica
I love this series (though I prefer the spelling Necropolis that the original novella used). The stories are entertaining and the world is very unique and interesting. The easter eggs were a pleasant surprise. I'm not often a fan of books that repeat basic information given about the characters in previous books so frequently, but I tend to look the other way for this series because I enjoy it so much. It's something fairly unique in a world saturated with vampires, werewolves, zombies, and othe ...more
Aaron
This is the second book in Tim Waggoner’s Nekropolis series. The story’s protagonist is Matt Richter, a private investigator living in the dark city of Nekropolis, a netherworldly metropolis that the majority of the world’s supernatural denizens immigrated to once it became clear that Humanity was overpowering them by sheer numbers. Richter would probably have a hard time fitting in, living day to day and keeping gainful employment if he wasn’t a zombie. You love detective stories? You love zomb ...more
Noor Jahangir
Do you find any of the following scary?

1. Vampires
2. Werewolves
3. Ghosts
4. Zombies
5. Monsters
6. Demons

If the answer to any of the above is yes, then wait till you get a load of the mean streets of Nekroplis. If you are planning on spending your halloween there then make sure you pack a 9mm with silver bullets dipped in holy water and a pocket full of magical charms; because this city break is going to be unlike any you've experienced before.

Dead Street's is Tim Waggoner's sequel to Nekroplis, ba
Yvensong
3 1/2 stars

First off, I hope that the paper versions of this novel are better edited than the Kindle version was. The editing and the layout just got worse and worse during the course of this novel, really detracting from an enjoyable story.

This was better written than the first, though there were a few continuity issues that bothered me. It felt as though the author hadn't remembered a few essential things that happened in the first, or decided to completely ignore them because he couldn't thin
Ami

Matthew Richter - zombie detective at Necropolis -- was not having a good night. He was attacked, his head was cut off from his body. After he was able to reattach his head, Matt found out that someone used his body to steal an artifact (Osseal -- a bone flute that enabled the owner to command the dead) from Lord of the Dead, Edrigu. Framed, Matt was found guilty and sent to Tenebrus (the jail of Necropolis). Luckily, Matt's girlfriend, half-Bloodborn Devona Kanti and her security team
Tarl
Ok, first off, the writing in this book is better than Waggoner's first. Far fewer run on sentences, which made me really happy. Second of all, I enjoyed the Easter eggs throughout this novel. From references to Lovecraft, Rocky Horror, to the Grudge (I laughed out loud at that one), and so on, he hides them well, and I enjoyed how they were implemented.

The storyline is good, though it does feel rushed from location to location to location. Not once do the main characters stay put for longer th
Lisa
While I normally am quite picky about my reading, Tim Waggoner has spread a series here that rivals the Dresden Files for my love. Matthew is a complex character, dead or alive, and one that I have grown very fond of in a very short time. His observations are, while not always correct, helpful in figuring it out yourself, and while there are always twists and turns, the book was thoroughly enjoyable, and immense fun. His character makes him realistic, and his past make him three-dimensional.
I pl
Nathan Johnson
I'm getting a bit sick of Matt constantly bringing up the subject of his dead wiener.
Thorn
This is a second book in a series about a zombie detective living in a fair facsimile of Halloweentown. The horror, while horrific in places, is too everyday to haunt your dreams. The noir mystery is mysterious, and its resolution is logical. Matt Richter snarks and deadpans both through the danger to his life (undeath?) and his relationship with his half-vampire girlfriend. The other denizens of Nekropolis are as weird and wonderful as ever.

In short, if you like your mysteries zany and tongue-i
Clay Rylee
As much as I enjoyed Dead Streets and wanted to give it five stars, I am forced to give it three stars instead due to some glaring errors when it comes to inconsistancies from the first book to the second. I will say this though, despite or rather inspite of those errors, I still thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recomend it, especially if you enjoyed the first novel... Just realize this novel has its flaws.
Richard Gaywood
Terrible. Less cute world-building than the first book; even more clanging, clunky dialog; some better jokes, but also one joke recycled word-for-word from Nekropolis. Littered with typos and continuity errors, both between the books and within this one (e.g. One creature is described as a floating skull, then later someone jumps onto "the creature's back").

Avoid. I didn't finish it.
Suge
I liked this one more than I liked the first book in this series. There were some parts that kind of lagged and made the story drag on but those parts quickly resolved and the story picked up. I especially like the end, where it seems that our zombie detective begins to understand his place in Lord Edrigu's kingdom. I can't wait to read the third installment of this story.
Robert 'Rev. Bob'
Solid sequel to the original, and the heaps of pop-culture references are very entertaining. I never would've expected to see shoutouts to H.P. Lovecraft, Young Frankenstein, Rocky Horror, and Dr. Goldfoot (!) in the same book, let alone on the same page...
Sean Cummings
Dead Streets is a fantastic read! Rodent Cosa Nostra, flesh tech, reassembled cadavers running amok and a prison break all rolled into one fast paced, kick ass book! Oh, and there's even romance of the dead kind. I'll pick up the third in the series next!
V.
Once again, my dumb ass stayed up way too late just to finish a book, so I'll write my fangirly review later. Promise. And trust me, with a book (and a series) this good, it shall be all kinds of fangirly.
Jo
The second adventure of Matt Richter, zombie P.I. and resident of another dimension. This time he gets caught up with Frankenstein's monster and a whole load of trouble. Great fun and thoroughly enjoyable.
Daniel
The second of the Matt Richtor novels. A fun light read with great atmosphere and the continuing evolution of the relationship between Matt and Devona. A guilty pleasure
Liam
A solid sequel to Nekropolis. These books are a lot of fun. About what I'd expect from a zombie PI who's book spawned from the author's rpg campaign.
Sandy
I enjoyed the story but the book could benefit from better editing. How does a floating skull suddenly have a back for someone to jump on?
SATIN SUE
i couldnt really get into this book, it was really slow and the people in it wernt really good....
PocketBlonde
Second in the serues about a zombie PI Nd his half- vampire Girlfriend.
Kimmyh
Was just as much fun to read as the first book in the series.
Phil
Loving this series. Fast paced and interesting characterization.
Kathryn
Just as wonderful as the first one! Tim Waggoner is FANTASTIC!!!
Tim Thraeryn
Another fun, horrific detective tale. Easy reading.
Zane White
As delicious as the first one.
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • Back In Black (Black Knight Chronicles, #2)
  • King Maker (Knights of Breton Court #1)
  • For Heaven's Eyes Only (Secret Histories, #5)
  • Dead Mann Walking (Hessius Mann #1)
  • Dead Matter (Simon Canderous, #3)
  • Blood Blade (Skinners, # 1)
  • The Road to Bedlam (Courts of the Feyre, #2)
  • Managing Death (Death Works Trilogy #2)
  • Hellforged (Deadtown, #2)
  • The Invoker (Lawson the Fixer #2)
  • Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!
  • Amortals
  • Redlaw
  • Jailbait Zombie (Felix Gomez, #4)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • ReVamped (Void City, #2)
  • The Skinwalker Conspiracies (Dead Eye #2)
Tim Waggoner has published over thirty novels and three short story collections, and his articles on writing have appeared in Writer’s Digest and Writers’ Journal, among others. He teaches creative writing at Sinclair Community College and in Seton Hill University’s Master of Fine Arts in Writing Popular Fiction program. Visit him on the web at www.timwaggoner.com.
More about Tim Waggoner...
Necropolis (Matt Richter #1) Carved in Flesh (Supernatural, #12) Thieves of Blood (Eberron: The Blade of the Flame, #1) Dark War (Matt Richter #3) Temple of the Dragonslayer (Dragonlance: The New Adventures, #1)