Start by marking “The Big Enchilada: Campaign Adventures with the Cockeyed Optimists from Texas Who Won the Biggest Prize in Politics” as Want to Read:

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Six years ago he owned a baseball team. Now he's the leader of the free world. "The Big Enchilada" is a comic anthem to the wild and improbable crusade that propelled George W. Bush into the White House and to the close-knit group of Texans who made it happen, written by "the Bush campaign's Renaissance man" "(Time" magazine). Writer and political strategist Stuart Stevens ...more
Published August 14th 2001 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about The Big Enchilada, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Enchilada

If you have read George Stephanopoulos' book All Too Human and liked it then you will probably like this book too. I liked Stephanopoulos' book better, because he went into finer detail about the campaign process. The Big Enchilada is a good review of how George W. Bush and his media team helped shape their message, but does not really go into the dance that is played with the news media. Stephanopoulos' book goes into great detail on how that dance is played and is a very interesting read. Whil ...more
So why don't the republicans put Stuart Stevens on their own version of The Daily Show? Even though I'm opposed to just about everything they stood for in this campaign, i just about peed my pants with laughter and have to tip my hat the novelty of this book and insight from a killer campaign... I had thought we had all the comedians on our side of the aisle?
found it for cheap at a library sale. it was good to compare the 2000 campaign with the current one and notice the striking similarities. the narrative is episodic and gives some insight into W's character and the campaign.
Very interesting personable writing style. However the content is not a surprisingly one sided and highly bias account of the 2000 election. I might consider reading his non-political books.
"Times are great--vote for change"

The message that a whole bunch of goofballs actually got to work and got W. elected. Great campaign book.
Donald Forster
Donald Forster marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Timothy marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Madi Estes
Madi Estes marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Patrick marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Ted Morgan
Ted Morgan marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Todd marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
Kristy marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2013
Darren marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2012
Mike marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2012
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2012
An American travel writer, political consultant and Daily Beast columnist. He is the cofounder of Washington, DC-based political media consultancy Stevens & Schriefer Group. He served as a top strategist for Mitt Romney's 2012 presidential campaign.
More about Stuart Stevens...
Malaria Dreams: An African Adventure Night Train to Turkistan: Modern Adventures Along China's Ancient Silk Road Feeding Frenzy The Last Season: A Father, a Son, and a Lifetime of College Football Scorched Earth: A Political Love Story