Start by marking “Sylvia” as Want to Read:
Sylvia

Sylvia

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Librarian's Note: Alternate cover edition for ISBN 978-0822214960

Greg and Kate have moved to Manhattan after twenty-two years of child-raising in the suburbs. Greg's career as a financial trader is winding down, while Kate's career, as a public-school English teacher, is beginning to offer her more opportunities. Greg brings home a dog he found in the park or that has foun
Published January 1st 1996 by Dramatists Play Service, Incorporated (first published November 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Sylvia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sylvia

Pamela
Fun to read . . . Fun to watch!

This is a delightful fun romp . . . A unique theatrical satire about marriage and relationships, told and enacted out partially through Sylvia - the family's loveable, but obnoxious dog.

At OKCCC during the late 90s, I played the role of Kate's best friend, Phyllis - the lush. It was a hoot!
Gabrielle
page 11 --
KATE: What a name for a dog! Sylvia.
GREG: No, it fits. I looked it up. It means "She of the woods." (Sylvia is now scratching vigorously.)
KATE: She of the woods has fleas.

----------

Perfection. Truly, the Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? of talking animal plays. (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woof?!?)
G. Adams
A really clever script, that dips into some absurdist territory - I enjoyed it but wished it would have gone farther in that territory. Very affecting for dog-lovers -- somewhat annoyed at the denouement, it felt unnecessary and cheap.
Makayla
As someone who performed this as Sylvia, I can testify that this piece is brilliantly written and leaves many insights to be found throughout. I fell in love with the piece quickly and have yet to find a way to stop quoting it all the time.
William
Lots of fun throughout. The notion of dog as mistress -- well what dog owner hasn't been through that? The close is rather too cute and cheesy, given the actual darkness of the play.
Mel
Quick paced and honestly funny comedy. I'd love to see it performed.
Kate
Add this to my "would die to have the chance to act in" play list.
Joelle
OCU 2000
I played the wife.
Zelina
Zelina added it
Dec 17, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Dg240
Dg240 marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Jude
Jude added it
Aug 17, 2014
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Elliott Bennett
Elliott Bennett marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
  • Three Tall Women
  • The Dining Room
  • The Backstage Handbook: An Illustrated Almanac of Technical Information
  • Death and the Maiden

A. R. Gurney (Albert Ramsdell Gurney, Jr.) (born November 1, 1930) is an American playwright and novelist.[1] He is known for works including Love Letters, The Cocktail Hour, and The Dining Room. Gurney currently lives in both New York and Connecticut.

Born in Buffalo, New York, Gurney, a graduate of St. Paul's School (Concord, New Hampshire), attended Williams College and the Yale School of Drama,
More about A.R. Gurney...
The Dining Room Love Letters and Two Other Plays: The Golden Age, What I Did Last Summer Love Letters - Acting Edition The Cocktail Hour Another Antigone