Start by marking “Incriminating Evidence” as Want to Read:
Incriminating Evidence

Incriminating Evidence (Mike Daley Mystery #2)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,356 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
With his terrific first novel, Special Circumstances, Sheldon Siegel delivered legal fiction so exciting, it drew comparisons with the very top tier of courtroom thrillers. Now he has a new challenge for defense attorney Mike Daley--ex-priest, ex-husband, ex-public defender--and it’s a high-profile zinger: a case he doesn’t think he can win for a client he can’t stand.

It
Published July 30th 2002 by Bantam (first published July 31st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Incriminating Evidence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Incriminating Evidence

Linda
Apr 06, 2014 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-5-14
Wouldn't you love to be on a jury? Just once? (Once would be enough, I think). I do not know why I worry so about the jury. Could it be their importance is so short lived? I liked this author's main characters -- Mike and Rosie. They make a good team. By far, Nick the Dick is my favorite PI character. He stands proud at 4'11". He he eighty five years in age and two years in energy and charm. I see Danny Devito with a toupee when Nick enters the courtroom. This is where the fun starts. Nick
Thomas
Sep 20, 2015 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: us-legal
I enjoyed reading this legal mystery. I give it a solid 4 out 5 stars. It is book 2 in the Daley/Fernandez mystery series. The main characters that were introduced in book 1 return. Prentice Marshall Gates III, the newly elected District Attorney has been found with a dead body in a hotel room. The police arrest him for murder and have a great deal of incriminating evidence. Gates hires Michael Daley, even though he forced Daley out of their previous law firm for not producing enough money. He d ...more
Sheila Good
May 22, 2016 Sheila Good rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incriminating Evidence by Sheldon Siegel is a book I came across second-hand. I had no idea until reading it that it was the second book in a 7 part series. I love legal thrillers, and this one was no exception. I only wished I read the first book first. Having said that, however, it did not detract from the story at all. Murder, politics at its ugliest, and kinky sex - what more do you need to keep you mesmerized. Loved the voice, the characters were well developed, the plot thick and intriguin ...more
Dave
Apr 05, 2015 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as book 2 of a four-book box set. I liked the first book and gave it four stars. This second volume was so much like the first book that I have deducted one star. The plot was extremely similar; Mike & Rosie defend a client against murder charges and the client is one of Mike's former partners. The client denies he did it, and won't say a thing in his defense, but new damaging evidence keeps getting uncovered one piece at a time. Then at the very end, Mike manages to get his clie ...more
Stunatra
Jun 24, 2012 Stunatra rated it did not like it
Good premise, but executed poorly. I couldn't care about any of the characters, regardless of how much backstory the author provided, and it seemed endless, and thrown in for "depth." The story itself seemed like it was stretched out to novel size. If told in novella size, straight to the point, it could have been more compelling. It took 300 and some pages to get to the grit of the evidence--that's just ridiculous! I only read the first 100 pages consecutively and from then on I skimmed, and fo ...more
Ronald Keeler
Dec 29, 2015 Ronald Keeler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
There are lots of characters in this novel. If you read several books at the same time as I do (work, home, mobile device while in transit) you might want to highlight some names, particularly at the beginning. It can be difficult to find your place in the story after brief interruptions to your reading.

Just as a preview: Skipper is a nickname for the DA. He is charged with murder after being found in a hotel room with the dead body of Johnny, a gay drug dealer. Given that Skipper called the po
Alan Marston
Feb 06, 2016 Alan Marston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this second in the series courtroom drama, but did have a distinct sense of deja vue in that, as with the first in the series, Mike Daley is defending someone he knows very well. In fact it is the very person who tried to best him in the first book, but again it appears that all the evidence in a murder is stacked against him. It is a quick arrest, and again, as in the first book, the accused waives his right to delay the trial.
The characters are developed more in this second
Jim
Jan 31, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
The second novel in series featuring lawyer Mike Daley from author Sheldon Siegel, "Incriminating Evidence" is every bit as riveting, and entertaining as the first book from series. An outstanding plot that unwinds slowly enough to really pull you into the dark world of money and power. With power come most of the evils of the world that are tough to fight against. Mike Daley is begged to represent current San Francisco D.A. Prentice "Skipper" Gates who is charged with murder. Skipper is in the ...more
Patricia Poinsett
This is the second in a series. I rather enjoyed the first one. The main characters are a lawyer and his law partner/ex-wife. The two of them are very fond of one another. That was the good part. The action takes place in San Francisco so it is fun if you know the city and can picture where they are.

The story is so much like the first book that I almost quit reading about l/4 of the way through. In both books Mike and Rosie take on a difficult case with a difficult defendant. In both cases, the
Mike OConnor
Mar 26, 2010 Mike OConnor rated it liked it
A long book with just what the title implies. I went into it expecting the outcome provided. The characters were weak and the story tedious.
Alan Zabel
Jun 14, 2015 Alan Zabel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Incriminating Evidence" is a really good courtroom drama/mystery. Like many in this genre, it starts out slowly. But that is usually necessary for this type of story, to set the stage, so that by the time the trial begins, I feel that I am right there, intimately experiencing every detail. The real challenge in this book was learning an keeping straight a rather large cast of characters. But, it was worth the effort. The upside is that the story never became predictable. Although I tried, I did ...more
Jim Fromm
Apr 01, 2014 Jim Fromm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a pleasures. !

Thank you, Sheldon Siegel. I read about two I books a week. Legal thrillers are my favorite. "Incriminating Evidence" is the best book I have read in a very long time. The court room activity is a legal primer. Mike and Rosie's dysfunctional relationship is an all to true reflection of the complicated lives of most professionals of our generation. Great storyline that kept me guessing until the very end. Excellent character development. Please continue writing. I am a fan.
Jim
Jun 10, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced courtroom drama that keeps your interest. I read this right after reading his first book so it felt a bit repetitive at times as he uses a lot of the same plot devices he used in the first book (waiving time, defendant secrets, etc.). He also has a healthy cast of characters - many of whom seem to be around just to have a few more suspects - and at times I had to try to remember the role each one plays. But overall this is a fun read with just enough twists to keep you on the hook.
I a
Barbara Nutting
I thought it was a clone of Book 1 - I read them back to back so I really noticed all the sameness. I felt like Seigel had a formula and it was just fill in the blanks!! I counted 22 same themes and I'm sure there are more. I even had it all figured out early on. Many inconsistencies. You definitely have to read these IN ORDER- Book 2 would have spoiled Book 1 if you read it first. I am going to read Book 3 next just to see if it is more original. Very disappointed.
Ron
Jan 06, 2015 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sheldon Siegel's "Incriminating Evidence" is the second in the Mike Daley/Rosie Frenandez legal series set in San Francisco. This time the SF District Attorney is arrested for the murder of a male hooker at the City's Fairmont Hotel. What follows is an intriguing series of characters and events that take the reader from Nob Hill to skid row as Daley and Fernandez defend their client and attempt to find the real killer. I liked the story and I'm hooked on the series.
Michelle Hite
May 14, 2015 Michelle Hite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing,

The Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez books are hard to put down. A fictional legal series that throws in lots of curve balls along with a little romance. The book is well written and keeps the readers interest. The ending is unpredictable. Sheldon Siegel creates the characters so that you begin to feel as though you actually know them and want to keep reading to find out about them.
Tess
May 17, 2015 Tess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
The first half of the book went rather slowly for me. I don't know if was me or if it was the book, but I took weeks to get through the first 42 percent of the book (thank you Kindle for percentages!) but only 2 days to finish the last 38 percent.

Mike Daley is a criminal defense attorney. His partner is is ex-wife. The defendant in this book is none other than the District Attorney who we met in book 1. SKipper and Mike are former law partners, both left the firm at the start of book 1. When Ski
Kathryn McMudie
May 21, 2015 Kathryn McMudie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
The author, Sheldon Sidney, has similar writing styles, however I do like his books. I have never guessed the killer or killers. I have read 2. What I like is that the author writes the plot and also talks to you in third person to explain what lawyers do what they do in a courtroom. I like an education! Also he gives his opinions about his characters which are amusing. Mike and Rosie, characters in the series of the books are great together!
Sharon K. Woolsey
Incriminating Evidence

Sheldon Siegel is a consultant writer of legal thrillers. The suspense buildswitheach.

Sheldon Siegel is the consultant legal thriller writer.
The suspense builds, conclusions often speculated in the beginning prompt fact finding missions, and confronting witnesses in court. The twists are terrific. Recommended for legal thrillers like me.

Carole
Apr 15, 2015 Carole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Convoluted...

Almost needed an outline cheat sheet to keep track of characters and plot. Characters are compelling and the true bad guys don't show up until near the end. Good description of people drawn with faults and weaknesses that suck other people into problems. A few unbelievable spots but only a few. Basically a good read.
Julia Walker
Aug 01, 2016 Julia Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second in the series. The main two characters are realistic and interesting. The main lawyer seems to ahve some self confidence issues until he gets in front of a jury and then he exceeds expectations. You wonder if each book is going to be more difficult for him in terms of the cases he has to deal with.
Mhd
Jul 08, 2015 Mhd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sample sure starts well. There's something about these characters. Fast paced. // Finished the real book now. It bogged down a bit at about the 3/4 mark, but it was really enjoyable. Criminal defense lawyers with client who seldom tells the truth and has few if any redeeming characteristics. The ending was a tad unsatisfying and fairly complex: not just one real culprit and no complete justice. I'll read the next one.
Selina
Apr 13, 2016 Selina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Change the name of the defendant and the victim as well as the murder scene and you've basically got the same book as the first one. At points, the text seemed to be almost verbatim. Beyond that, it's an enjoyable book, as the first one was. Just leave some time in between reading them... enough to forget the details of the previous book.
Beth Granger
Mar 18, 2016 Beth Granger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging legal thriller

This is certainly worth a read -- especially if you enjoy Grisham's legal thrillers. Siegal's books give an informative portrayal of the legal system mixed with corruption found in San Francisco. Well- written and detailed.
Linda
May 05, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Couldn't put it down in anticipation of the next shoe to drop. Love that it is set in the California court system. Just enough insight into the law and courtroom procedures without being tedious. I plan on reading the rest of the series.
Pen
Aug 13, 2016 Pen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third I've read in the series; compelling storylines and I really like the main characters. BUT can someone please write a social work character who isn't an idiot or a crook? It really can't be that hard, there are thousands ofgrwat social workers to model!
Shirley Alvarez
Feb 21, 2015 Shirley Alvarez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incriminating evidence

I am so into this series! I never thought I would enjoy this type of book. Thanks to Kindle Unlimited I tried a new author. I now have all 7 and plan to them through. Hope ROSIE and Mike can make it.
Marla Madison
Jan 01, 2015 Marla Madison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed Siegel's first book in this series and moved right on to the second. Incriminating evidence is another exiting courtroom drama with a lot of similarities to the first in it's plot. Still a good read if you like courtroom drama and suspense.
Beverly Mccollum
Really think the rating is actually a 3.5. Enjoyed the second novel in the series. A fast -paced courtroom tale with the requisite number of twists and turns. I do like the flawed but compelling major characters. I'd recommend it.
Elva L Beacham
Apr 23, 2015 Elva L Beacham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winning saga of the Daley/Fernandez duo

Well written, fast paced novel of man's weak

attempts to justify his immorality and wrongdoing, coupled with power and wealth and a conviction of entitlement.

• Gunshot Road (Emily Tempest, #2)
  • Among Thieves (Scott Finn #3)
  • By Reason of Insanity (David Brunelle Legal Thriller Series Book 3)
  • A Sundog Moment
  • Blood Hina (Mas Arai, #4)
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • Corruption of Blood (Butch Karp, #6)
  • The Vault (Peter Diamond, #6)
  • False Dawn
  • Red Light (Merci Rayborn #2)
  • The Law of Second Chances
  • The Intruder
  • Running from the Devil (Emma Caldridge, #1)
  • No Time To Run (Michael Collins)
Sheldon Siegel (born July 14, 1958) is an American novelist and author best known for his works of modern legal drama.

Siegel was born on the south side of Chicago, Illinois. He attended New Trier High School in Winnetka, Illinois, and later went on to attend the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as an Accounting major. He graduated with a Juris Doctor from Boalt Hall at the University of
More about Sheldon Siegel...

Mike Daley Mystery (7 books)
  • Special Circumstances (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Legal Thriller Book 1)
  • Criminal Intent (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #3)
  • Final Verdict (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #4)
  • The Confession  (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #5)
  • Judgment Day (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #6)
  • Perfect Alibi (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #7)

“Unlike our well-heeled brethren in the high-rises that surround us, the attorneys in my firm, Fernandez and Daley, occupy cramped quarters around the corner from the Transbay bus terminal and next door to the Lucky Corner Number 2 Chinese restaurant. Our office is located on the second floor of a 1920s walk-up building at 553 Mission Street, on the only block of San Francisco’s South of Market area that has not yet been gentrified by the sprawl of downtown. Although we haven’t started remodeling yet, we recently took over the space from a defunct martial arts studio and moved upstairs from the basement. Our files sit in what used to be the men’s locker room. Our firm has grown by a whopping fifty percent in the last two years. We’re up to three lawyers.” 0 likes