Start by marking “Psychward” as Want to Read:
Psychward

Psychward

The memoir of an aspiring psychiatrist's year as an intern in a psych ward reveals the harrowing truth of life behind closed doors in a mental institution.
Mass Market Paperback, 251 pages
Published June 1992 by Berkley (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Psychward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psychward

Shane Cormier
Nov 15, 2011 Shane Cormier rated it it was amazing
I red this book in high school for psychology class back in 1992. I remember I couldnt put the damn thing down it was so exciting. My favorite part was how that guy came up missing, along with beds food and other things, and then while the doctors were discussing something, he is listening in and decides to come out the ceiling and give them ideas. I just loved this book and I think it is time to get another copy and read it again. Sorry for the spoiler :)
Raechal
Oct 09, 2011 Raechal rated it really liked it
Everyone who wants to become a therapist, a psychiatrist or a psychologist should read this book before they begin their careers, and then again when they feel they are losing their love of the profession, because it will bring you back.

I also think anyone who has a therapist, psychiatrist or psychologist in their life should read this book to understand what makes us tick, what makes us sad at the end of the day, and how are jobs are so different from the rest of the world.
Mary
Jan 04, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys non-fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
Psychward is the true story of the first years in psychiatry of Stephen B. Seager, M. D. It covers the sometimes funny, sweet and horrific stories of the patients of the psychward where Dr. Seager worked for a year. I thought it was a very easy read and give it an A+!
Cat.
Jul 05, 2015 Cat. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, biography
Read this in one afternoon/evening. The writing really brings people to life, although I'm not sure I'm ever going to be able to deal with someone truly psychotic, not knowing that they can kill someone using a folding chair for God's sake!
Kelly
Sep 26, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it
This was a great book. I read it in college and searched high and low until I found it again. This was an interesting book!
Zakjb
Zakjb rated it it was ok
Sep 28, 2013
Danny
Danny rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Lauren Cottrell
Lauren Cottrell rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Madison
Madison rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2008
Reading List 2014
Reading List 2014 rated it did not like it
Aug 03, 2012
Nathan Ulanowski
Nathan Ulanowski rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2016
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2010
Prattle On, Boyo
Prattle On, Boyo rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2010
Goda
Goda rated it it was ok
Jul 30, 2012
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2014
Breanna
Breanna rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Brenda Scullion
Brenda Scullion rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2009
Sandy Haynam
Sandy Haynam rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2014
Nova Paholek
Nova Paholek rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2015
Peter U Hansen Jr
Peter U Hansen Jr rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
QueenKiss
QueenKiss rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Steve Bowman
Steve Bowman rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2014
Brooke
Brooke rated it really liked it
May 15, 2013
Stephen Seager
Jun 18, 2014 Stephen Seager rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hilda Crossley
Hilda Crossley rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
H.
H. rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Stephen Seager was born in Ogden, Utah, descended from Mormon pioneers. He grew up in Daly City, California, a San Francisco suburb. Seager graduated from University of California at Davis and received his MD degree from Hahnemann Medical College in Philadelphia. He worked as an Emergency Room physician for ten years which inspired his first two books, and then returned to residency training for ...more
More about Stephen B. Seager...