Matecumbe

Matecumbe

2.77 of 5 stars 2.77  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Pulitzer Prize-winning author James A. Michener was in his sixties when he began traveling frequently to the Florida Keys. One result of those visits was the novel Matecumbe, named after two of the islands that comprise the town of Islamorada, located approximately half way between Miami and Key West.

Never before published, Matecumbe features many of the hallmarks of Miche...more
Published September 9th 2007 by University Press of Florida

Kathy
Feb 23, 2014 Kathy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathy by: Margaritaville Travel
This book was on a suggested reading list for a Miami/Florida Keys tour I am embarking upon today, so I read 90% of it on the plane. The plane ride was only 3 hours long, so that is the first clue that it is not like the other Michener books I have enjoyed which would have taken much longer to read. It has been many years since I've read Michener, but being a geologist and a fan of historical sagas, I enjoyed Hawaii, Caribbean, Texas. If any of them contained romance-novel dialogue like Matecumb...more
Karen
I have just about every work that Michener wrote. I love them all. But, Matecumbe was not pleasant to read. True, it did not have earth-shattering events or intriguing mysteries to solve, which are Michener hallmarks, but it just had very "forced" writing--sometime it was hard to tell if it was conversation or reflective comments. The person who was given this manuscript by Michener, Joe Avenick, was a ghostwriter for Michener for several years. He claims that Michener wrote Matecumbe to be a "s...more
Ron
A little too predictable of a dual love story. The best part was at the "afterward" by Joe Avenick discussing about how no publisher wanted to publish the book, as well as his ghost writing experience with Michener. I did not get all of the hidden meanings. It might make a good "chick flick"
Carol Skarbek
Not worth reading.
Helena
Sep 10, 2008 Helena rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Helena by: Saw a review in Southern Living
Shelves: fiction, florida
I thought this would have a more Keys-y feel to it, but it was much more about the (not very interesting) characters than it was about the Keys. It was okay, but the author's habit of presenting so much of the characters' thoughts as internal dialogue--complete with quotation marks--was distracting and kept the story from flowing as well as it could have. Overall, though, it was an okay read.
Gary
Great love story written years ago. A major departure from Micheners typical novel, part love story, part autobiography. Made me feel like I was reading a Nicholas Sparks book.

Great afterword about how no publisher wanted to touch it, writen by the person he gave it to as a gift.
Curt Blair
If Michener wrote this awful novella, he should have burned it. My suspicion is that his ghost writer, to whom Michener gave the writes to this work, made substantial alterations between the time Michener died and the book was published.
Penny
Slightly disappointing, a little contrived in places, the sexy bits were a little uncomfortable to read as it seemed they were a little difficult to write! I really missed the historical detail associated with Michener!
Kimi
Terrible dialogue, predictable plot, suffocatingly autobiographical point of view. I loved Michener's monster novels as a young adult, mostly for their history and regional perspective. None of that is here.
Robin (RBBR)
Oct 29, 2011 Robin (RBBR) marked it as eventually
Michener's last novel, published posthumously 10 years after his passing in its unedited form.
Estee Shoesmyth
Estee Shoesmyth marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Lana
Lana added it
Jun 21, 2014
Ezchess
Ezchess marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Grace Veniero
Grace Veniero marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Janet Berlin
Janet Berlin marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Lin
Lin marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Ian Pubman
Ian Pubman marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Dano
Dano marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Michele Ekstrom
Michele Ekstrom marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Kellie
Kellie marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
James Albert Michener is best known for his sweeping multi-generation historical fiction sagas, usually focusing on and titled after a particular geographical region. His first novel, Tales of the South Pacific , which inspired the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific, won the 1948 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

Toward the end of his life, he created the Journey Prize, awarded annually for th...more
More about James A. Michener...
Hawaii The Source Centennial The Covenant Chesapeake