Start by marking “Matecumbe” as Want to Read:
Matecumbe

Matecumbe

Pulitzer Prize-winning author James A. Michener was in his sixties when he began traveling frequently to the Florida Keys. One result of those visits was the novel Matecumbe, named after two of the islands that comprise the town of Islamorada, located approximately half way between Miami and Key West.

Never before published, Matecumbe features many of the hallmarks of Mich
Published September 9th 2007 by University Press of Florida

Ron
Apr 13, 2012 Ron rated it it was ok
A little too predictable of a dual love story. The best part was at the "afterward" by Joe Avenick discussing about how no publisher wanted to publish the book, as well as his ghost writing experience with Michener. I did not get all of the hidden meanings. It might make a good "chick flick"
Carol Skarbek
Mar 02, 2011 Carol Skarbek rated it did not like it
Not worth reading.
Kathy
Jun 14, 2017 Kathy rated it it was ok
Barely ok. I was disappointed. The place info presented on the Keys was more or less accurate but was boringly inserted, the conversations were stilted, and the thoughts running through the characters' minds just did not ring true as self-talk. Too bad since a Michener on the Keys could have been fabulous (way too many legends and characters to go wrong). I have read others by him, such as The Novel, that are not typically historical fiction, and they were excellent, but Matecumbe just does not ...more
Kathy
Feb 23, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathy by: Margaritaville Travel
This book was on a suggested reading list for a Miami/Florida Keys tour I am embarking upon today, so I read 90% of it on the plane. The plane ride was only 3 hours long, so that is the first clue that it is not like the other Michener books I have enjoyed which would have taken much longer to read. It has been many years since I've read Michener, but being a geologist and a fan of historical sagas, I enjoyed Hawaii, Caribbean, Texas. If any of them contained romance-novel dialogue like Matecumb ...more
Pamela Rosenberg
Feb 13, 2017 Pamela Rosenberg rated it did not like it
It has been a while since I have read a James Michener book but I always thoroughly enjoyed his books that I had already read and I was anxious to read this one because it takes place in the Florida Keys. Unfortunately, this book was a total disappointment. From the first page, it felt like a Nancy Drew meets romance novel. This was NOT what I was looking for. Where is the history, the character development, and the suspense? I read it to the end thinking he would redeem himself, but sadly, it n ...more
Karen
Jun 18, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
I have just about every work that Michener wrote. I love them all. But, Matecumbe was not pleasant to read. True, it did not have earth-shattering events or intriguing mysteries to solve, which are Michener hallmarks, but it just had very "forced" writing--sometime it was hard to tell if it was conversation or reflective comments. The person who was given this manuscript by Michener, Joe Avenick, was a ghostwriter for Michener for several years. He claims that Michener wrote Matecumbe to be a "s ...more
Jtomassetti
Jan 13, 2016 Jtomassetti rated it it was ok
Shelves: florida
Read the end of the book first where it explains how this book was published after James Michener died. All in all I didn't really like it. It is a romance novel and not historical fiction. Too many descriptions of the clothes they are wearing or plan to wear. Nothing exciting happens. I tried to look for the symbolism as mentioned in the back of the book but i did not see anything significant. Readthis book only if you want to say you have read every Michener book.
Helena
Jul 23, 2008 Helena rated it liked it
Recommended to Helena by: Saw a review in Southern Living
Shelves: fiction, florida
I thought this would have a more Keys-y feel to it, but it was much more about the (not very interesting) characters than it was about the Keys. It was okay, but the author's habit of presenting so much of the characters' thoughts as internal dialogue--complete with quotation marks--was distracting and kept the story from flowing as well as it could have. Overall, though, it was an okay read.
Penny
Sep 30, 2013 Penny rated it liked it
Slightly disappointing, a little contrived in places, the sexy bits were a little uncomfortable to read as it seemed they were a little difficult to write! I really missed the historical detail associated with Michener!
Gary
Nov 20, 2009 Gary rated it it was amazing
Great love story written years ago. A major departure from Micheners typical novel, part love story, part autobiography. Made me feel like I was reading a Nicholas Sparks book.

Great afterword about how no publisher wanted to touch it, writen by the person he gave it to as a gift.
Curt Blair
Oct 29, 2013 Curt Blair rated it did not like it
If Michener wrote this awful novella, he should have burned it. My suspicion is that his ghost writer, to whom Michener gave the writes to this work, made substantial alterations between the time Michener died and the book was published.
Kimi
Feb 15, 2008 Kimi rated it did not like it
Terrible dialogue, predictable plot, suffocatingly autobiographical point of view. I loved Michener's monster novels as a young adult, mostly for their history and regional perspective. None of that is here.
Jeanette Warren
Feb 04, 2016 Jeanette Warren rated it it was amazing
This book was a surprise. Different than other Michener books, but I enjoyed it.
Robin
Oct 29, 2011 Robin marked it as to-read-do-not-have
Michener's last novel, published posthumously 10 years after his passing in its unedited form.
Julia Prater
Julia Prater rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2014
Nena
Nena rated it it was ok
Dec 01, 2012
Robert Vandiver
Robert Vandiver rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2011
Jerry W McGinnis
Jerry W McGinnis rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2014
Martine Bosmans
Martine Bosmans rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2013
Mark Salcedo
Mark Salcedo rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2013
Brandon Barrows
Brandon Barrows rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2014
Dan Walters
Dan Walters rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Jane
Jane rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2013
Cathy Lenox
Cathy Lenox rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2017
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2012
Trenna Squires
Trenna Squires rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Wendi
Wendi rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
James Albert Michener is best known for his sweeping multi-generation historical fiction sagas, usually focusing on and titled after a particular geographical region. His first novel, Tales of the South Pacific , which inspired the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific, won the 1948 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

Toward the end of his life, he created the Journey Prize, awarded annually for t
More about James A. Michener...