Start by marking “Everett Ruess: His Short Life, Mysterious Death, and Astonishing Afterlife” as Want to Read:
Everett Ruess: His Short Life, Mysterious Death, and Astonishing Afterlife

Everett Ruess: His Short Life, Mysterious Death, and Astonishing Afterlife

Everett Ruess was twenty years old when he vanished into the canyonlands of southern Utah, spawning the myth of a romantic desert wanderer that survives to this day. It was 1934, and Ruess was in the fifth year of a quest to record wilderness beauty in works of art whose value was recognized by such contemporary artists as Dorothea Lange, Ansel Adams, and Edward Weston. Fr ...more
Published August 29th 2011 by University of California Press (first published July 2nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Everett Ruess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everett Ruess

Jeff
May 15, 2015 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-west
I have completely mixed and strong feelings about this book. First, it is about one of my inspirations and a remarkable young man who is legendary in the Southwest. While much of the reporting is solid the author (now deceased) inserts himself into the story over and over again. It feels and reads unprofessionally and the opinions he offers detract from the tone and the veracity of the author. He decides, on his own, that Ruess was a bipolar homosexual and yet scolds other authors for their spec ...more
Steven Howes
Aug 19, 2015 Steven Howes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had not heard of Everett Ruess until a few years ago when I read David Roberts's book about him based on a recommendation in High Country News. Everett's story was riveting so I jumped at the chance to read more about his life and subsequent mythic status that developed around him following his disappearance in 1934. His remains have never been found.

While I found this book very interesting, it tended to be a bit darker than the previous one focusing more on his family and upbringing, his ment
Nichole
Quit halfway through, though I blame my own lack of fortitude. Couldn't reconnect with the subject's gentle, artistic nature after he stole a puppy, then beat it until it ran away. We all "contain multitudes," blah blah blah.
Steven
Aug 02, 2012 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good read about a young artist that vanished at a young age.
VeeAnn
Mar 28, 2012 VeeAnn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I gave up about half-way through this book. The writing style was okay and it wasn't that the book wasn't interesting. I just found myself getting more and more disgusted with the selfish nature of this young man and didn't really care that much.
Joey Usher
Jul 25, 2012 Joey Usher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting look into another wanderer that had the artistic ability to overcome the lonliness to some degree . . . I really liked how Fradkin interspersed Ruess' own words with his own to tell the story.
Therese
Really enjoyed this - such an intriguing, typically American story. Due out in September - starred review in Library Journal here: http://bit.ly/jU8yc6 (scroll down)
Compass
Compass marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Patti
Patti added it
Feb 25, 2016
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Jerry
Jerry rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Kim Ulmanis
Kim Ulmanis is currently reading it
Feb 19, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Sue Mills
Sue Mills rated it it was ok
May 28, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
annapolina
annapolina marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Jill Gatwood
Jill Gatwood rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Ryan Morris
Ryan Morris rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Janene
Janene marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Neverdust
Neverdust marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Allen Levine
Allen Levine rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Tori Ervin
Tori Ervin marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Crocmou173
Crocmou173 marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Wblues
Wblues rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Wrangler Gunter
Wrangler Gunter rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Philip L. Fradkin is an American environmentalist historian, journalist and author. Fradkin has authored books ranging from Alaska, California and Nevada, with topics ranging from water conservation, earthquakes, and nuclear weapons.

In 2005, Fradkin was given the Californiana Award by the Commonwealth Club of California.
More about Philip L. Fradkin...