Ooh! What A Lovely Pair: Our Story

Ooh! What A Lovely Pair: Our Story

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  569 ratings  ·  36 reviews
An idiosyncratic collection of vivid observations, colourful reminiscence and charming digressions, Ant and Dec's book is packed with comical anecdotes, and will give millions of fans an insight into the genuine intimacy and refreshing sense of humour that the two TV icons share.
Published September 23rd 2009 by Michael Joseph Ltd (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Ooh! What A Lovely Pair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ooh! What A Lovely Pair

Melee
AHHHHH! I FREAKING LOVE ANT & DEC!

Now that that's out of my system...

Ant & Dec (formally known as Anthony McPartlin and Declan Donnelly) wrote this autobiography in 2009 to commemorate 20 years together in showbiz and friendship. (Yes, friendship. My mother's already asked twice, and no, they're not gay. :P)

I think what Dec said in an interview on This Morning sums up the core of their relationship pretty well: "...All of our success, and everything that's ever happened to us, has been...more
Sarah burrows
Feb 06, 2011 Sarah burrows rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ant and Dec lovers/fans :P
omg loved it soo much.
i couldnt wait to get my hands on this book and when i did i devowered it. i love ant and dec and have watched them since biker grove and smtv (i think it was called) with wonky donkey :)
i loved that the book had ant in one font and dec in a different type of font, giving both versions of the story before and after they had meet. i found it strange and funny that for how close friends they are now (even living on the same street, with about 1 house inbetween them :D) that w...more
What a fantastic book! It was funny, endearing, interesting and entertaining. I couldn't put it down. I had so many laugh out loud moments and was intrigued about their rise to fame. I cannot recommend this book enough. If you know who Ant & Dec are, you'll love it. A must.
Maria Teresa Zumbo
This book was exactly what I thought it would be.
It was funny, cheeky and entertaining.
I love the fact that it was written four handed, almost like a conversation between them. That from start to finish there’s not one point of the book that felt boring to me.
It was interesting to follow their steps from kids to wannabe pop stars, to TV presenters, but to me the most appealing part was to see them create a unique and rare friendship.
This is Ant and Dec, pure and simple. Every tale is filled wit...more
Angie Beckett
I'm not much of an autobiography reader normally, but, like most of the population of the UK, I love Ant and Dec so couldn't resist!
They've led a mostly happy life, so this is an uplifting read with lots of jokes (some a bit corny and dad-like, but that's part of their charm!) and you don't have to worry about it being hard to read, even the bad things that have happened to them they don't really go into too much, such as the death of Ants grandma or the break up of Decs relationship, they cove...more
Jessica
This is an absolutely fantastic autobiography of the hilarious and gorgeous geordie duo! If you love Ant and Dec, this is the only book you'll have to read on them, as once read, you know the boy's inside and out. It's definitely one of my most favourite books and would recommend it highly to Ant and Dec fans and anybody who loves a good laugh, as the stories they tell of their time together are very hilarious!
Paul Wardman
A really fun look at the career of one of Britain's most loved double acts.
The book reads like a conversation between the pair on tv, plenty of banter between the two as they reminisce and wind each other up the way good friends can. It took a little while to get used to who was writing which part but once it sank in I flew through the book.
I've read complaints that they don't slag off people they've not liked over the years. I just got the impression it isn't Ant & Dec's style and I have h...more
Lynsey
This book was pretty much what I expected. Its like watching Ant & Dec on TV in a weird way in that its all very friendly, chuckle worthy, wholesome family entertainment.

I wasn't particularly gripped by their life stories but it was an easy to read and fairly enjoyable tale. I also liked that they chose to assign them both their own font so that you could discern whether it was Ant or Dec that was supposedly writing each section of the book. This allowed them to mock chat to each other throu...more
Mark
An autobiography of a double-act, told by them both in such a way (italics and bold typeface) that makes perfect sense once you get used to it. I have to admit, I didn’t become aware of Ant & Dec until well after Byker Grove but associated them with “Get Ready To Rhumble” for longer than I perhaps should have. They come across well in this, though in playing up their “we’re normal blokes us and like to get drunk”, this tends to gloss over the effort they must have put in to get themselves wh...more
Nicole Whinnett
Im not usually a fan of biographys/autobiographys but this one caught my eye because of the fact I love ant and dec, I thought I would give it a go, and im so so soo glad I did! One of my favourites so far this year!
Rachel Emms
I am usually not one for autobiographies but being a fan of Ant & Dec I thought it would be a good read.

I was not disappointed. The book read as if they were in the room with you having a conversation. It was filled with jokes and didn't go into too much detail about the 'bad' things that have happened to them like Ant's grandma passing away or Dec's split from his long-term girlfriend.

It was a nice, uplifting, easy read about the careers and lives of two funny, well-known TV personalities....more
Rebecca
I did enjoy this but it took me a while to get into the swing of the writing, as they kept including jokes which probably would have worked as part of their TV sketches but came across as clunky in writing. I also found it a little irritating that some parts of the book which could have been critical of people, or slightly awkward to write about, were skimmed over and confined to half a chapter, when so much of the writing was aboue how much time they spent in the pub. I liked knowing more about...more
Katy
Actually, this was fairly irritating to read in big chunks, as it's written in first person by both of them and so all the parts by Ant are in italics, which gets pretty annoying for my eyes after a while. On the other hand, it was interesting to read! Obviously my brain has decided to retain innumerable facts about their lives anyway, but the parts about leaving Byker Grove, about their music tours in Japan and Indonesia and about Ant's wedding were new to me. Also there are adorable photos of...more
Mark
Well, this was an entertaining read. I am a more recent fan of Ant and Dec, mainly from seeing them on Britain's Got Talent and then on their Saturday Night gameshows so wasn't aware of everything they had done in the past leading up to that. At first I thought the style of the book would be off-putting (both of them writing it and constantly switching from one to the other in the text) but I soon got used to that. As on screen they come across as funny and friendly guys. All in all, another goo...more
I love Ant and Dec and have been around for their whole career. I remember watching Byker Grove and Geordie Racer (The show that Dec didn't manage to get on) and have been interested in their whole career. I thought the book was funny and well written. I had no problems with the style and with them writing together in alternate paragraphs. I thought it lost momentum towards the middle but the beginning and end were fantastic. It had genuine laugh out loud moments and I really enjoyed it.
Rachael Phillips
Disclaimer: I love a bit of Ant & Dec!

As I've already said, I love these two but I'm very fussy about my autobiographies (I love Robbie Williams but his was so boring I'd have proffered to watch paint dry) but this was so easy to read. A lot of the info most people (if like me you're around the same age as these two so would've grown up with them) would've know but they do tell a good story and it highlights just how hard they work.

Really enjoyed it.
Leah
Really enjoyed it. I was expecting it to be funnier - it's Ant and Dec, after all, but apart from that it was brilliant. I loved going back to when they very first met and how they became the double act they are today, it was very fascinating reading. To have been friends for so long and to not have had any major fights (the less said about the fight in the lift the better!) is amazing. Wonderful book from my two favourite TV presenters!
Tracey Tait
I liked it. It showed how true and close their friendship is, which is lovely to see. I laughed out loud quite a number of times. I felt they took up far too much time on the early days, ie, their singing and not enough on the latter part of their career. Personally I only really got to know them on TV and wanted to read more about that side but they were halfway through the book before they really got to that. All in all a good read though.
Noel
not too bad was really interesting they seem quite nice really
Angela
I love Ant & Dec and have done since the Byker Grove days - and even though I was technically to old for Saturday morning T.V I used to tune in for the banter with Cat Deeley. This is a funny, down to earth read - the boys from the North have done good ;-)and it's nice to know how it all started, their great friendship is lovely & shows in all they do xx
Eleni Pelaou
My fav autobiography by miles! Loved it!
Alison
I like the way Ant and Dec used different typefaces so you could tell who was speaking and it was very chatty and easy to read. It was interesting to read about their early lives and how they grew through their experiences. It was just a bit long. So, in the end, although I was enjoying what I was reading, I was glad to get to the end.
Steph Burgess
I had so much fun reading this book. Giggled most of the way through, I could hear their voices in my head, like they were reading to me! I'm a big fan of Ant and Dec, so it was great to learn mire about them and their history. Highly recommended, especially to other fans!
Louise
I really enjoyed this book. Although it was clearly marketed for the younger fans, I still found this funny at points. Ant and dec are lovely people you can tell and the show this by being bubbly in this book. Documenting everything in there life, this is almost perfect, if not for the odd corny jokes.
Kim
I found the second half of the book a lot more interesting than the first. I found a joint first narrative a little difficult to get used to- it made it flow more slowly for me.

It wasn't the best autobiograpy that I've read recently- but sill worth a read.
Book Addict Shaun
A very enjoyable and honest read. I liked the way the paragraphs were in bold and italics which meant it was easy to keep of track of who was talking! Some fantastic stories to be read here and some hilarious moments too, as to be expected from the best duo on TV.
Loz Martin
Found this book hard going at first, I'm too old to remember Byker Grove. But once I passed that part of the book I really enjoyed it. It made me laugh. Ant and Dec seem to be two very genuine, caring and funny men.
Olivia
This book was really, really funny. A biography of how the 'lovely pair' developed from 'wannabes' be a famous fair a comedian's.
Who doesn't laugh at their jokes??
Lyndsey
Oh the nostalgia of the Byker Grove days! Made me laugh out loud. The initially cheesy narrative method of 'he said, he said' actually worked well.
Donna
I love watching these two on the television.. but I just could not get into reading their book.
  • Look Who It Is!: My Story
  • At My Mother's Knee...: and other low joints
  • The Life of Lee
  • May I Have Your Attention, Please?: The Autobiography
  • Life And Laughing: My Story
  • Saturday Night Peter: Memoirs of a Stand-Up Comedian
  • Why Do I Say These Things?
  • Look Back In Hunger