Start by marking “Finders Keepers (Exmoor Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Finders Keepers (Exmoor Trilogy, #3)

Finders Keepers (Exmoor Trilogy #3)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  661 ratings  ·  113 reviews
At the height of summer a dark shadow falls across Exmoor. Children are being stolen from cars. Each disappearance is marked only by a terse note - a brutal accusation. There are no explanations, no ransom demands... and no hope.

Published January 5th 2012 by Bantam Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Finders Keepers, please sign up.

A.J. Waines It does work as a standalone, but certain parts will leave you a bit mystified. Plus, I think the other two are better and you need to read them in…moreIt does work as a standalone, but certain parts will leave you a bit mystified. Plus, I think the other two are better and you need to read them in order, because Finders Keepers gives away some crucial information about Darkside (Blacklands is first). Rubbernecker (4th) is a stand alone and brilliant - the best, I'd say.(less)

Paul Bryant
Can we really believe in the crime and the criminal here? I don't want to spoilerate this review, but the plot is a fairly big Ask, here. Disbelief has to be suspended from big rusty meathooks (hint hint) dangling from the fleshroom of an abbatoir (nudge).

British crime writers have a major problem that Americans don't – a relative lack of horrendousity. In the past decades American horrors have been plentiful but British crims tend to play it low-key. So I was thinking – can a guy get to be as
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Bauer does it again , sheer genius. Firstly let me say that if you read her books or plan to, whilst not advertised as a trilogy, it would be best to read her first book Blacklands and then Darkside first, Bauer incorporates characters in this book from the previous two and if you read this one first it would have spoilers for the others.

This book started slower than her others I have read but super glad I hung on because from the halfway mark I could not put it down. Bauer has the knack of inco
Brenda
With the benefit of reading the previous two books, Blacklands and Darkside, I welcomed their history's impact on this third in the Exmoor trilogy. Individuals "damaged" as children experience life as adults with a bias. They see things through a filter that is not always true or realistic. With Stevie's experiences in the previous books, he believes Jonas to be a murderer. I was unprepared for this, as I liked both Stevie and Jonas. Even as Stevie's beliefs wavered, mine became more sure. I bel ...more
Sharon Bolton
"This fresh, brilliant scenery brought with it little pricks of guilt, like pins left in a new shirt.'

Children on Exmoor are disappearing from parked vehicles and, 'as if by slick, sick magic' being replaced by a note on the steering wheel. "You don't love him." The town of Shipcott is ill equipped to cope. Not two years previously, a brutal killer killed a number of the residents and was never caught. Now, as the summer burns on, Shipcott starts to feel like a town cursed.

Of all the new crime
Karen
Another excellent read from Bauer, this is book 3 in the trilogy, I wish had read book 2 first.
It can be read as a stand alone book. I did enjoy the twists, turns and suspense.
Janette Fleming
"No one in their right mind would choose to go on holiday to Exmoor after reading Belinda Bauer. Six children were buried on the moor in her award-winning debut novel, Blacklands. Eight vulnerable victims met their ends in its follow-up, Darkside. But the curse isn't over yet for the residents of Shipcott, the Somerset village where the author sets her thrillers: now their children are being stolen, taken from cars and replaced with a note: "You don't love her", or him, or them."

From one of my n
Luni
While it said this was a freestanding novel, the amounts of flasbacks to previous novels made it tiresome and I wished I'd started with them.
Speaking of tiresome, the personalities on the two main cops were as flat as the moor they work on. Most of the female characters served merely as background and a base for the guys' development.

After finishing I mainly feel frustrated, I want to learn more of the truth by reading the other books but the endings are already spoiled.
I read it in swedish an
Jennie Johansson
Thoroughly enjoyed it but realised very quickly that it was the 3rd book and should have read the others first! Will go back to the start...
Gemma
I haven't read the previous books by Belinda Bauer, and at times I felt I should have to understand some references to previous books. It was however perfectly fine as a standalone, but after reading Finders Keepers I don't feel a sense of urgency to read the other 2 books Bauer has written.

The story begins when a teenager is terrifyingly snatched from her father's car, with only a post it note left behind on the steering wheel. 'You don't love her.'

However young Jess Took is the first of many c
Mark
I enjoyed this book as simply an entertaining and well constructed story. It had me hooked and l took every opportunity to pick it up and continue my involvement. I like the range of characters the author has created and the Exmoor setting adds real atmosphere. This story further builds characters introduced in the author's prior books and I suspect that without having read those beforehand, it may have been harder to work out some of the motivations and history the characters brought into this ...more
Teresa
“Finders Keepers” is Belinda Bauer’s third novel and, like its predecessors, it is set in the tiny, picturesque village of Shipcott on Exmoor. It is the height of Summer and tourists usually swarm to this scenic location but children are going missing, stolen from cars and the local police force are out of their depth.

This is a gripping read, not for the faint-hearted, with lots of twists and turns to keep the reader guessing. I really enjoyed Belinda Bauer’s debut novel, Blacklands, and she has
Gary
The 3rd book in this series by Belinda Bauer. What an excellent series full of really strong characters that come to life through the outstanding narrative. I hope there is more to come from these characters as I have enjoyed these 3 books so much. I plan to read more of her work.
Helen
This completed the trilogy set on Exmoor featuring Steven Lamb, Jonas Holly and others. It's nice when familiar names crop up again in novels and you can piece together the appearance and dynamics of a small village.

This book starts off with a young girl being taken from a lorry with just a note left behind saying 'you don't love her'. Over a couple of weeks, 5 more children are snatched from parked cars and the local police, with no contact, clues or ransom notes, struggle to progress with the
Karen Clarke
Belinda Bauer is my new favourite writer of terrifyingly original psychological crime novels. This is the third of a trilogy that started with Blacklands, and is every bit as dark, unusual and compelling, as well as being fantastically well-written. Some of the twists throughout the series have made the hairs on my neck stand on end, because not everything is always as it seems regarding the character of Jonas Holly, and at times I found myself scared to switch off the light after reading!

Origi
Rachael Hewison
I read this novel as a standalone book and found that although it was easy to follow, I would definitely have benefitted from reading the first two as I felt that Bauer kept referring back to previous incidents for which I did not know the history. The fact that it was part of a trilogy should have been indicated by the publishers as I would have preferred to have read the previous two first.

I found it quite slow to start with and I wasn’t gripped until a third of the way through. It did become
Catherine Ryan Howard
It's impossible to say much about Bauer's books because doing so would give something away, but suffice to say that this is another solid thriller from one of my new favourite crime writers. Be warned: Bauer doesn't shy away from disturbing or sickening her readers, and I wouldn't read this unless I had read DARKSIDE, her previous release, first. (Because DARKSIDE is one of my favourite crime novels ever, and some details in FINDERS KEEPERS give its game away.)
Gayle
I don't know if it's because it took me longer to read this one that I felt it wasn't quite to the same standard as the other two novels I have read by Belinda Bauer. It was enjoyable although again a difficult subject (the kidnapping of children on Exmoor).
Bev Taylor
a missing child - no explanations - no ransom demands - no hope

h/e it does not stop at one and at each scene where the child is abducted a note is left u don't love him/her/them

policeman jonas holly faces a precarious journey into the warped mind of the kidnapper. but he is only just back on duty after the murder of his wife and his own stabbing and the d.i. in charge does not like entrusting him to the job

excellent portrayal of people and their relationships. but i was left unsatisfied by th
Linda  Branham Greenwell
The story begins when a young girl, Jessica, is abducted from her dad's car, and a not is left in the car that says "You don;t love her." Because of this a police team come into Exmoor to solve the crime. It is the same team that was there in Darkside. At the beginning of this book, Jonas Holly has still on leave since the death of his wife, but is returned to duty as the story unfolds. No one is sure that he is ready for duty. Then more children go missing.
Steven from the novel Blacklands also
A.J. Waines

Policeman Jonas Holly faces a precarious journey into the warped mind of the kidnapper if he's to stand any chance of catching him. But - still reeling from a personal tragedy - is Jonas really up to the task?

Because there's at least one person on Exmoor who thinks that,
Jo
Belinda Bauer is the Queen of psychological crime thrillers. She writes beautifully and I love the subtlety in her writing. This is the third in her Exmoor trilogy. The moor itself as well as the village of Shipcott become main characters in this superbly crafted novel. PC Jonas Holly is back at work, although his psychiatrist has her reservations about signing him off. Reynolds' new side-kick DC Elizabeth Rice provides us with a few laughs. I love the character of Stephen Lamb and he's develope ...more
Jane Hamilton
I really like this writer's work. Her books are so well written and a bit different with an attractive style that mixes in some dark laughs with a tense and tight story. I've hugely enjoyed several of her other books and this is in the same top class. A fast paced plot keeps you turning the pages while the characters and the writing keep you enthralled. There is a lovely sense of place in the descriptions of Exmoor and if you've read the first two books in this trilogy, seeing how the characters ...more
Jo Bennie
Dec 02, 2014 Jo Bennie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: b
Children are going missing from Exmoor, snatched from where they are left alone in vehicles with a single post it note: 'you don't love him'. Jonas Holly is returning to duty as a police officer after murder of his wife and his own near death at the hands of an unknown killer. Detective Inspector Reynolds and his DS Elizabeth Rice try to solve the puzzle against as they return to the bloody location and memories of Bauer's previous book Darkside.

There are two things I loved about this book. Baue
Stacey
“Always they wept with joy.

I found you. I found you. He repeated it without moving his lips - a song sung by his heart that made his flesh tremble with happiness.

Always it ended the same way. Lucy sobbing in his ear: 'You shouldn't have come looking for me, Jonas.'

And he would realize for the first time that her body was cold when it should be warm, and - even as that horror struck him - he would feel her turn into a slab of dead meat in his arms.

He would wake, still groping for her, his pillow
Kay
I enjoyed Bauer's previous thrillers - so much so that I forked out for the hardback instead of waiting for it to come into paperback. Unfortunately, I was left feeling a bit cheated - the subsidiary characters in this book were poorly developed stereotypes, I am sorry to say, and whilst the premise of children left in cars being kidnapped was interesting, I felt it had descended into farce by about half way through the book.

I had worked out what was going on after about the first third, and whi
Richard
Apr 02, 2013 Richard rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
The third in a series of books about the folk of Shipcott living on the edge of Exmoor. Each works well as a stand alone novel but wonderfully unite in a clever trilogy of books focusing on the lives of Steven Lamb and PC Jonas Holly. Belinda Bauer should be rightly proud of this series of work that gently picks at and then feverishly unravels the very fabric of society as seen in the lives of this gentle village community.
Here is a story of child abduction with a unique twist that reflects the
Kirsty
This is the third book by belinda Bauer, but I have only read the first and third in the series. Although there are cross over characters and mentions of the plot in the second book, there is enough back story explained here that it can be read as a stand alone novel.

I have to say that I did find the first third of the book to be quite slow, as I found that many characters were being introduced but little else was happening. The book does pick up pace and starts to weave the tense atmosphere th
Ursula
I guess I've only got myself to blame for not doing my research before I started reading 'Finders Keepers'. I was completely unaware that this is the third book in a series of thrillers set in Shipcott, a small Exmoor village that has a high appeal to psychopathic killers. While the histories of Jonas Holly, the village policeman who is grieving for his wife, and of the Lamb family, whose members have a knack for being in the right place at the right time to be abducted, are somewhat touched on, ...more
Barbara
FINDERS KEEPERS
Belinda Bauer
This is the third of a series set in a small town on the edge of Exmoor in southwest England. The protagonists are Jonas Holly, a small town policeman, and Steven, a seventeen year old with tons of baggage. As with most mystery series, it is best to read this series in order to better understand the actions of the characters.
Someone is stealing children. Has this small town been invaded by a serial pediphile? Nothing makes sense. There is no pattern to the disappearan
Beth
Finders Keepers is Belinda Bauer's third book, and the third with recurring characters, which is a feature I absolutely love. Not a straight character-led series, Belinda Bauer revolves her stories around one village on Exmoor, Shipcott, and several of the residents. Her writing is fast-paced but suspense-building, and the characters are wonderfully detailed and built up.

This particular book starts with the disappearance of a child, with a note left in her place stating "You don't love her". I'l
  • The Missing
  • Sankta Psyko
  • I de lugnaste vatten (Sandhamn, #1)
  • Still bleeding
  • Settled Blood (DCI Kate Daniels, #2)
  • The Coroner (Jenny Cooper, #1)
  • Mordet på Harriet Krohn
  • Birthdays for the Dead
  • Strange Bird
  • Seeking the Dead (Joe Plantagenet, #1)
  • Sandmannen (Joona Linna, #4)
  • Dead to Me (Scott & Bailey, #1)
  • Burial
  • Dead Scared (Lacey Flint, #2)
  • A Kingdom For The Brave
  • Carnival of Shadows
  • Catch Your Death
Belinda Bauer grew up in England and South Africa. She has worked as a journalist and screenwriter, and her script THE LOCKER ROOM earned her the Carl Foreman/Bafta Award for Young British Screenwriters, an award that was presented to her by Sidney Poitier. She was a runner-up in the Rhys Davies Short Story Competition for "Mysterious Ways," about a girl stranded on a desert island with 30,000 Bib ...more
More about Belinda Bauer...

Exmoor Trilogy (3 books)