Start by marking “Magic Time” as Want to Read:
Magic Time

Magic Time

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  88 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Mike Houle is a college all-star second baseman in his junior year when he turns down a fourth-round draft pick offer from the Montreal Expos. He'll finish his business degree and try his luck again next year. But Mike's final year in college sees his performance take a downward slide, and his big league dreams are going the way of his stats. When Mike's agent offers him a ...more
Published June 15th 1999 by Doubleday Canada (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Magic Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Time

B 7Stockman
Nov 23, 2015 B 7Stockman rated it really liked it
W. P Kinsella Conveys strength and hope throughout this book. There is a lot of inequality going on that changes throughout the book. When dad says, "Look at that, Mike, I look like a gorilla in a tuxedo. What do you suppose your mom ever saw in me?" (15) while they were all sitting around the table in the kitchen getting ready to eat, the reader sees that there is a lot of bad things happening in that time period, and through the voices of the characters you can tell that they all have high hop ...more
H
May 16, 2009 H rated it it was ok
A short baseball fable for adults - I picked this up because I wanted something light, silly, and easy to read. It is an agreeable little book set in a wholesome world that seems roughly parallel to ours in time, but miles away in the innocence and sweetness of life (with a few swear words). It is a world where a small Iowa town can support a baseball team of talented players who have a habit of choking in the clutch. The players are brought in to keep the town viable with new blood, marry its l ...more
Terry
Mar 02, 2014 Terry rated it really liked it
I really love wp Kinsella way of telling a story! This is a great read to any baseball fan!
Pa
Jun 12, 2009 Pa rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in baseball and in small town life
OK for a quick read. The tale of a very talented second baseman who aspires to get into the bigs, but who tends to choke at crunch time. He is invited to play for a small time Cornbelt League team in a small town in Iowa.
The story flows well and has a bit of humor. Certainly nothing deep, but an entertaining read with an interesting plot (by the author of the book on which the movie Field of Dreams is based).
Marvin
Aug 07, 2009 Marvin rated it it was ok
Shelves: midwest
I think Kinsella phoned this one in, stringing together some baseball stories (one of which I'd read in a collection) into a larger story about an idyllic, small Iowa town that lures talented ball players with a tendency to choke to play & live where ther are no pressures. Not very challenging, but Kinsella's baseball stories are always entertaining for a baseball fan, much like a Paul Bunyan tall tale.
Greg
Jun 17, 2012 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2012
Kinsella cannibalized some of his short stories for use in this full novel. I'm usually not of fan of that, but he did it pretty well, weaving everything into a complete story. I'm a little conflicted about the outcome of the story, but it was still enjoyable.
Tim Dunn
Aug 03, 2011 Tim Dunn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kinsella is a great author that can really bring a story to life, this book is no exception. If you like baseball, or more importanly folksy baseball stories, this is a must read.
Garth Bishop
Aug 28, 2014 Garth Bishop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a review, but I definitely wish there was a Great Mound I could move to. I feel like I'd fit right in.
Jim
Oct 09, 2007 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Baseball in the Twilight Zone. Kinsella is a great writer. Basically a long short story, well told.
Krista
Feb 11, 2012 Krista rated it really liked it
Feel good baseball!
Jonathan Gallo
Jonathan Gallo marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Kayne McGee
Kayne McGee marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Vince Del Gavio
Vince Del Gavio rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Jonathan Wind
Jonathan Wind rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Mike Maher
Mike Maher rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Jake
Jake rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
MC
MC rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
dale fournier
dale fournier rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Dell Fuller
Dell Fuller rated it liked it
May 06, 2015
Cary
Cary marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
William Patrick Kinsella, OC, OBC is a Canadian novelist and short story writer. His work has often concerned baseball and Canada's First Nations and other Canadian issues.

William Patrick Kinsella was born to John Matthew Kinsella and Olive Kinsella in Edmonton, Alberta. Kinsella was raised until he was 10 years-old at a homestead near Darwell, Alberta, 60 km west of the city, home-schooled by his
More about W.P. Kinsella...