Start by marking “Idaho Pride” as Want to Read:
Idaho Pride

Idaho Pride

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  30 reviews
After an attempt to diffuse an explosive situation, Lee Hunter and Jeremy Sheridan end up taking the heat for the conflict and become friends. While researching a tragic local story for Jeremy's magazine, Idaho Pride, Lee agrees to mentor Luis, a troubled young intern. But Jeremy has a problem of his own: a jealous ex-lover who threatens not only Jeremy and Lee's new roman ...more
Published April 28th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Idaho Pride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Idaho Pride

Idaho Pride peaked my interest after Val gave it such a strong positive review. The novella lives up to its hype as a good, solid story with interesting characters and a strong plot driven story. Yet the characterization is not sacrificed for this and the end result is a very appealing, engrossing, and well written story.

There is much more going on in the story than the brief blurb mentions. Lee and Jeremy seem like total opposites when they meet during a fight between their friends. Their mutu
This book turned me into a grinning giggling fool...I LOVED IT.

Oh man what lovely story this was...Lee is a sports writer, he is attracted to men and has sex with them, but he IS NOT gay. He meets Jeremy the Editor of Idaho Pride magazine, a beautiful, gentle OUT and PROUD man...I loved Lee...what a gentle sweet good. I loved the ease with which he gave himseld to Jeremy, he KNEW he had found what he needed in him and just LET IT HAPPEN. They were something else those two.

Within all of
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
I read this a little while back but I had to give the story time to percolate.

Lee and Jeremy meet when Lee's hockey buddies start antagonizing a group of young gay men in a bistro. Jeremy is the creator of a new magazine that all of the young men write for. A fight breaks out between the two groups. Because they know the police are on their way, Lee tells his group to make a break for it and Jeremy tells his group to get out of there.

Lee and Jeremy end up doing community service together and so
Lee is NOT gay. He doesn't care for labels. If he should be labelled, he chooses the label to be "a sport writer". He admit honestly and openly that he sleeps with men, but he refuses to let that fact to define who he is. Jeremy, on the other hand, is out and proud. He used to be an activist back in San Francisco, helping gay and lesbian teens, and had a ten-years relationship with a politician.

It takes awhile for me to get into the story -- trying to figure out what journey will Ms. Black take
Heather C
Sweet, short read, that somehow took me over 24 hours to complete. A lot of heavy topics discussed in this one: gay labels, closets, and teen suicide. I probably could have loved it if it would have been longer. The characters were great but the story was just too short for them to be well developed and explored.

Anyway, its still a good story.
I am very excited to have Sarah Black back to write m/m romance, one of the finest writers I've read. And what a joy to read this short story. The writing is sharp and the story flows easily.

I don't think the book's blurb does the story justice. Idaho Pride is a story that deals with some heavy issues, such as gay teenage suicide, homophobia etc, but it does it in a humane, sincere and delightful way. Lee is a sports writer who hangs out with local hockey players, he sleeps with men but doesn't
Very good m/m romance about a sports writer who ends up in an altercation between some hockey players and staff members of the Idaho Pride newspaper - an altercation that changes the lives of many of the guys involved.
Truthfully, this is more like a 2 for me. I can appreciate the tough subject matter though so I bumped it up another star. My problem with this was the random writing. I never felt like any of it fit with the characters presented. One moment its sports talk, and Lee is not gay. Next thing you know he's describing porcelain skin, spun silk hair, melting chocolate body, pineapple pits, and ocean, salty cock. I mean where in the hell did any of that come from? Secondly, I'm supposed to just believe ...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I really liked this one. The words flowed easily and while it was a fast-paced read and never felt rushed.

I loved the characters. Jeremy was sweet and easy to fall in love with. He had determination and a desire to help the kids struggling with their identity and where they fit in the world. I found Lee's aversion to labels pretty funny. He denied that he was gay but easily announced that he was attracted to, and slept with, men. He said he'd never fall in love but then after a few days, he coul
Kaje Harper
This story is about the journey Lee Hunter takes over a short period in his life. He begins the story as a sports-writer who sleeps with men but has no interest in romance and dislikes the label "gay." Then he meets Jeremy, who is trying to mentor a group of young gay men by publishing a newspaper - the Idaho Pride. Some of Lee's athlete friends are less than sympathetic, and some of Jeremy's young guys are hot-headed too. In trying to smooth the waters between the groups, Lee finds himself thro ...more

Such effortless writing. This story has a fly-on-the-wall feel that makes me think of Friday Night Lights. (BEST tv show, ever -Damn, just realised that Coach Taylor could be right out of a Sarah Black story!) Idaho Pride has the same distilled, pared down... totally natural feel to it. The reader must fill in some of the quiet spaces themselves, make the connections and think about what the story is trying to say. I loved that about it.

Effortless writing. Wonderful characters, especial
I really liked this story. Very authentic voices for the characters and great dialogue. A lot of action in a short book - very concise and well written. Didn't feel like there was any fluff or filler. I can't wait to read more work from this author.

Valentina Heart
Jun 30, 2011 Valentina Heart rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Valentina by: MsMiz (Tina)
Shelves: glbt
3.5 stars.

I was struggling with rating this one. While I liked both characters as well as the story, there was just too little detail for me. The relationship ended up being much more serious than I got the impression during the story, and while their interactions were wonderful and often funny, there wasn't enough of them to make the couple seem more in love with each other.

The story itself is surprisingly deep and I loved the subject it revolved around. I also missed a lot of detail when it c
Oct 26, 2011 Yvonne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yvonne by: Nikyta
Shelves: m-m, q4-gb-2011-read
Good story with a nice writing style that I found enjoyable. I liked the nice and easy pacing of the romance between Lee and Jeremy plus the interesting side characters like the troubled young man, Luis. There was a lot packed into such a short story and not all of it got to be explored as fully as you'd want. Even though everything is neatly wrapped up by the end, it needed more story to get to that place. I'm surprised that a sequel was never done for this.
Nothing aggravates me more than feeling like I'm having an opinion shoved down my throat or like I'm being lectured in whatever fiction it is I happen to be reading. That being said, I enjoyed how Ms. Black tackled many realistic issues surrounding gay youth and men and interwove them in this beautifully written novella very effectively bringing them to light without slapping you in the face with them.
This was a short, wonderful read! Lee and Jeremy we very cute together. Even though this book was about some hard, sad events, it was written in a way that the most important aspect was love. I'm so glad that Luis was able to find a family with Lee and Jeremy. This story was moving and heartwarming.
4.5 Stars
I can't really put my finger on why I didn't like this one more than I did. I guess I just didn't connect with the characters as a couple very well, although I liked them both individually.
Unexspected. Very unexspected. I bought this some time ago on a whim because it was on sale during a publishers marketing action. And to be true - I kind of forgot about it. But - what a sweet and curious little gem. Both MC's are very likable and especially Lee's interpretation of life and himself is not that often seen in this genre. (view spoiler) ...more
Wendy Ann
Elizabeth H.
3.5 stars rounding down to 3.0 stars.

This novella read more like a short story to me. The writing was fine, sentence by sentence, but I felt the construction of the story was lacking. I never got comfortable with either character, and agree with other reviewers that Jeremy was the more difficult of the two to grasp.

The most interesting character for me was Luis, actually, the minor character in more ways than one, and it was his story that kept me reading. I also felt that the ending was rushe
ARe Cafe
Idaho Pride by Sarah Black may especially appeal to readers who love to look beyond the parameters of a hot man-to-man romance and get a bigger view of the unique way in which the gay man fits into his community. Protagonist Lee finds that he must adjust his comfortable life to make room for a romance with his new neighbor, a gay activist, but that’s only the beginning. He soon realizes that his understated attitude towards his own sexuality borders on denial, especially when he unexpectedly gai ...more
Lee is a sportswriter who believes he is not gay, he just likes to sleep with men, the more of a jock they are the better. Jeremy is publishing a new gay pride magazine and is mentoring a group of young gay interns. I really enjoyed this story, where Lee is attracted to Jeremy and discovers that there is more to sleeping with men than just sex.

While Lee is shown as a nice guy initially, he becomes protective towards Jeremy and the interns, and I liked him more and more as the story progressed.
This is another one of Sarah's books that I really like. The sports writer and the magazine editor; the jock and the "member of the french club" (as one of the Idaho Steelheads would say) meet during an altercation between their two factions. Once again she writes a good story without filling it up with page after page of meaningless sex scenes. She tells a story and she does it very well. I like her primary characters as well as the secondary ones. A very good story and I would recommend it.
Basically a sweet book with a message. The message didn't get overly preachy, fortunately. There were a few characters that were flat. The police chief was all good. Alfarr was all bad. The ending with the gun was a bit too much. I thought there should have been more reaction over it. Over all this was a very good and very readable book.
Very enjoyable story. Could have been longer. Gradual acceptance of being gay by one MC. Good teenager involvement with MC's. The Sheriff has a story to tell.
Kate wrote a great review.
A solid, warm-hearted romance--both well written and well edited.
Edina Rose
I felt in love with the characters. Sooo adorable!
I liked it very much but i found the ending too rushed
The more I read, the more I like Sarah Black. :)
  • Whitewater
  • The Prayer Waltz
  • Rinse and Repeat (Repeater, #1)
  • Miracle of the Bellskis (Bellskis, #2)
  • Gathering Storm
  • Great Restorations
  • Dash and Dingo: In Search of the Tasmanian Tiger
  • Vincent's Thanksgiving Date
  • Power Play
  • Admit One
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Life in Fusion (Summit City, #2)
  • Caught
  • Prove It
  • Lost Treasure
  • Going for Gold: M/M Olympic Anthology
  • Falling Off the Face of the Earth
  • Ravages
Sarah Black writes contemporary and historical gay romance and mystery.
More about Sarah Black...

“Stay with me. I think you might be the love of my life.” 6 likes