The Year Everything Changed

The Year Everything Changed

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  452 ratings  ·  64 reviews
As Jessie Patrick Reed’s attorney, I’m writing to you on behalfof your father, Jessie Patrick Reed. I regret to inform you thatMr. Reed is dying. He has expressed a desire to see you . . .

Elizabeth, even though sustained by a loving family, has suffered the mostfrom her father’s seeming abandonment and for years has protected herselfwith a deep-seated anger that she hides...more
Published August 23rd 2011 by William Morrow Paperbacks

Michelle
The Year Everything Changed is an immensely readable, albeit predictable, story about family and love. Four women are thrown together at the behest of their biological father. Two never knew him; two were seemingly abandoned by him at young ages. All must adjust their expectations and opinions of him in order to seek closure, if closure is what they seek. No matter what their relationship to their biological father, all must adjust to the fact that they each have three "new" sisters.

There is not...more
Shaheena
I read this entire book last night. Something about it made me keep reading and although I agree some of it was predictable, it was written in a way that I just could not put it down and had some true surprises in it.

It seems every book I read lately is written in the manner of a prologue, epilogue and chapters from different people. This usually annoys me but something about the author's writing kept me very engaged. This must be a current trend in novels and although it has it's benefits, I'd...more
Gaby
I very much enjoyed The Year Everything Changed. It's a story about sisters who didn't know their father or that they even had sisters. The four sisters have very little in common. Their mothers, upbringing, and opportunities were vastly different. Each is sympathetic in their own way. Although I was particularly fond of Ginger - the beautiful girl who didn't know that she'd been adopted. The anger, resentment, hopefulness and friendship that develops among the sisters makes the story an absorbi...more
Sharon
A good book to read while relaxing on the deck on a beautiful day - rather predictable, but an easy, decent read.
(Lonestarlibrarian) Keddy Ann Outlaw
I've read so many of these books where sisters bond after a parent's death that perhaps I've grown a little jaded. In this case, the four sisters only learned each other existed shortly before their millionaire father, Jesse. dies. Most of them felt abandoned by their father and have hostile mindsets towards both him and their new half-sisters. Lucy, Jesse's lawyer, has always felt an unrequited love for the man. And so she makes a deal with him to record the story of his life to share with his...more
Tammy
April
A story of four women, four complete strangers, and the link that ties them all together: an estranged father. A father, in some cases, that wasn't known to exist until the presence of a mysterious letter sent by an attorney in Sacramento. The letter claimed the man to be their father, claimed he wanted to see them before he passed, claimed he was dying.

Jessie Reed admitted he made mistakes and wanted to do all he could to correct them before it was too late.

Elizabeth, Ginger, Rachel and Christi...more
Ami
Ridiculously cliche and trite, this book had my teeth on edge for half of the novel. The second half of the novel I spent recovering from whiplash as the author put us (and her characters) through a frantic and hurried pace. And yet, I felt compelled to finish the story, to know for sure how it would all end. (As if there were any doubts.)
I realize that the author's intent was to have a character that the audience believed to be beyond redemption and yet somehow redeem the fellow. However, in do...more
Ann Liford boehnke
A dying man with a past, four women all unknown to each other, each growing up believing an untruth about who they are, a lawyer who wants to give her client his last wish makes for a manipulative but interesting story.
Nancy Burke
Powered right through this book. It is about 4 women with the same father. The catch is that each never knew the others existed. When the father finds out he is dying, he makes a last ditch effort to try and set the record straight on why he left each of them and didn't try to see them again, and, ask forgiveness. The premise is a bit unbelievable, but still compelling and I found myself picking up the book every chance I had. You will alternately root for the dad, either or all of the women, ha...more
Holly
Liked the feel of this book...good characters and development of their relationship. Anxious to check out more by this author.
Toni
Read Michelle's review- it says everything I am thinking and says it better .
The book is predictable and I never seem to connect with the characters. They never become real for me.At times, they seem too contrived, as if they were created just to make the plot work and therefore did not evolve as some characters do. I like to feel that the characters are "living" the story as I share it with them. Saying all that, I had to finish it. That being said 24 hours after finishing it ,I could not reme...more
Patricia
A book that will capture your attention til the end. Check it out!
Laurie
Really enjoy Georgia's writing style
Cindy
When I started this book I was not sure of what the story was about. I had read the blurb on it and had read another book Georgia Bockoven. I started the book and once I got in could not put it down and did not believe the twists and turns. the story starts out about 4 women and their lives and how the come to meet and then become fast friends. I do not want togive the plot away, so I will say read the book and you will enjoy a book about friendships and what new friends can do for each other.
Jan
Very good choice for book club. I stayed up late to finish it! I really liked the characters, and it kept me interested.
Cfrench1
Although it was a bit predictable in places, it was an enjoyable light story, which was exactly what I was looking for.
Mary Anne
I really like this book about four sisters who had never met each other or even knew each other existed. They are pulled together by the terms of their father's will. It is interesting to see how their relationships grow and develop over the course of the book. It was also fascinating to see how their opinions of their father change. The book was very readable and a fairly quick read. Nothing real deep or thought provoking - just a good story.
Amy
I really enjoyed this one. If you enjoy Elin Hildebrand or Kristen Hannah, you're apt to like this, too. The characters are fleshed out nicely and rang true to me. The plot device was interesting and while predictable at times, the author managed to keep me invested in the sisters and their journey. Probably not going to change your life- but it will definitely make for enjoyable reading for a few days.
Alicia
It was okay. A little predictable toward the end. I enjoyed getting to know the four sisters and hearing the story. I couldn't put the book down for the first half but after the one of the sister's "plot/story lines" I almost wanted to just put it down and guess what happened. Christina's story felt a little fake and Rachel and Elizabeth's was incredibly predictable ( almost). Overall an enjoyable read.
Jas
I enjoyed the stories of Jesse and his girls.
Sally Goodwin
The character development was very slow. I had to get nearly half way before I connected. Once that happened, I enjoyed the story of the 4 sisters who didn't know they had sisters until their father died and brought them together. It was interesting how the family that wasn't became whole. Don't give up on it. The end is worth hanging in there for.
Marcelle
Easy read. Father about to die looks up 4 daughters. Each one didn't even know she had any sisters. Sounds trite but I liked how the sisters at first resisted the idea of having sisters and then learned how wonderful it can be. I also enjoyed how each daughter had feelings for her father that were changed by what they learned. Chick book.
Becky
Enjoyed this book, predictable at times. A good book for the beach. I did like to see that all the sisters really did have a lot in common. It also makes you look at the fact there when only one parent is involved in the rearing of their child....there is really only one story about their lives to the child.
Natalie
I would have given 4 stars as the premise and beginning of the novel were promising but there were some massive changes of heart with minimal explanation or reasoning. I liked the characters and there were some warm parts that made me smile or cry. Two racy scenes but not horrible. :-)
Anne
The book actually deserved 3.5 stars - just didn't quite make it to 4. I thought it was going to be a semi-mindless chick lit book but it was certainly deeper than that. Good character development for the most part and some interesting sub-plots for the main characters.
Rosemary Gamburg
Great story! Loved the way the author has woven the stories of each of the characters together and each relationship among the sisters was transformed through the knowledge gained about Jesse and his various relationships with them and their mothers. Great read!
Amber Jones
Really enjoyed this book. Kept getting the different girls and their mothers confused, but after looking back through the book I figured it out.

Glad it ended the way it did. I'll definitely pick up another book by Georgia Bockoven.
Robin Bailey
An interesting story that introduces four half-sisters to each other who didn't know the others existed. Warning: it wraps up nicely in the end...! A good intertwining between all the women, their lives and their dad's story.
  • Little Gale Gumbo
  • Here, Home, Hope
  • Grace
  • The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue
  • Little Black Dress
Georgia was a Army child, who after a successful career as a freelance photo journalist before she turned to fiction writing. Published since 1983, she is an award-winning author whose books have sold more than four million copies worldwide. Her romance novel, A Marriage of Convenience, became a CBS movie in October of 1998 starring Jane Seymour and James Brolin.

Married wich John Bockoven, she is...more
More about Georgia Bockoven...
The Beach House Another Summer Carly's Gift: A Novel Things Remembered: A Novel Return to the Beach House: A Beach House Novel