Start by marking “Girls in Tears” as Want to Read:
Girls in Tears

Girls in Tears (Girls #4)

3.55  ·  Rating Details ·  4,807 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
Ellie, Magda and Nadine are back - but they're not very happy! Ellie's glorious romance with Russell is teetering on the rocks. Magda's lost her pet and is desperately upset (though the others didn't even know she still had a hamster!). And Nadine is fed up with the other two lecturing her about the dangers of meeting someone on the Internet. She thinks her e-mail boyfrien ...more
Published October 11th 2007 by Random House (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Girls in Tears, please sign up.

Navya Panicker I think it teaches you a valuable lesson to value your relationship and never forget that they are there for you.
leoni Cartwright I think it Is suitable for 11 and over because it's good for a 'preteen' to read books like this because it educates them in many ways. Such as doing…moreI think it Is suitable for 11 and over because it's good for a 'preteen' to read books like this because it educates them in many ways. Such as doing what's right or wrong for when you are older or teaching them 'who is the right boy me????'

I think this is a really good question. I hope I answered it well(less)

Jo Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

What an utter load of tripe. Adheres to all the stereotypes of teenaged girls without saying anything about it. Fucking fuck. Full review to follow.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
AKaur
Feb 23, 2011 AKaur rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls that like to know more about teenage life
Recommended to AKaur by: Liabary
I loved this book. It really explained how Teenage girls feel. And all their problems!
I think its a really good way to explain to young girls that good looking and having a boy friend isn't everything! I also like how Jacqueline Wilson put down the feelings of Isabelle and how she thinks her life is horrible.
I really recommend this book!
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
This was probably the weakest out of the four books, just because it felt like the title and format of 'Girls Cry When...' was leading the story too much. And, as good as it is to portray teenagers being happy in relationships, I certainly don't like how the boys are characterised as only interested in sex. It's all very 'you know you want to' and pleaded for it even after the girl says no. If the book was written now rather than 2002, things would probably be different.
Kyla
Oct 21, 2014 Kyla rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Review Preface: I'm the MOM who got suspicious when the 11 year old started hiding this book.
Here's Mom's review:
This is trash, it has ZERO literary value. It bundles an amazing number of "WORSTS" for middle school and high school girls into a very small book written in 5th grade language. This book was made avail to my 11 yr old daughter.
The Star of the book is dating a boy 2 yrs older Russell who constantly pushes her for sex. While she says "no" there's no exploration of this or reward/punish
Siobhan
Wilson is great at making realistic characters that you can quickly come to term with, giving realistic reactions to events.

Her books are great at getting children to really think about actions and their consequences, really opening the eyes of children to the world. Some of her books are sensitive reads yet they are all great at sending life messages to children.

I feel as though Wilson books are a must in the lives of young children, a way of opening their eyes to the real world in the right wa
Mia  Bakhthiar
It's a difficult book to enjoy, personally.
Erica
Apr 14, 2012 Erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Younger girls
Shelves: childhood
When I was younger, I read all of Jacqueline's books and all books of this series were my favorite ones! As I got older though, I didn't appreciate her books as much but I still love the creativity and thought behind each one of them and I will remember them as a big part of my childhood.

Because the language is pretty easy, her books were the first ones I ever read in English. I still today recommend her books to younger girls I know, and I hope that they will find the same joy as I did while r
Liz
Dec 07, 2014 Liz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
actually 0 stars for the ending. i hated it so very much. russell is sex crazed, disgusting, jealous and rude and she's still thinking about getting back together with him? what kind of message is that? ugh i certainly don't remember this series to end in such a horrible way. i'm so disappointed, Jacqueline Wilson was my childhood hero but this? i hated all the characters towards the end. the first two books were enjoyable but the last two utter crap.
♥Miyuki♥ Goco
i was way back in migh school..when i first seen this show..back..then im hooked to all her writing's,,this book is just the bestest..which a teenage girl like me can really relate..it shows,,more on friendship..handling and dealing with boys,,teenage complications..and a whole lot more of drama..i love the characters and story..i love it..until now!i just love the story to death! <3
Shahrun
Jul 25, 2015 Shahrun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about friendship, relationships and the dangers of meeting people online aimed at teenagers. I like the way Jacqueline Wilson simplifies a tricky subject into something her audience (children/teens) can digest and understand. Her books arent supposed to be an encyclopaedia on the subject, but hopefully enough to get kids thinking!
Aiko
Jan 11, 2016 Aiko rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't quite like it at first but then I actually cried somewhere in the middle...
Adeola
Dec 05, 2008 Adeola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was the fourth book in the saga and was really good, i liked the last one rather than this one.
Elizabeth
Feb 16, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
These Girl in... books are my favourites from Jacqueline Wilson. Interesting story with well developed characters. Simple yet compelling.
Janet
Dec 30, 2012 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would be a good book for teenagers about adolescent angst. It deals with lots of the family, girlfriend and boyfriend issues so common but troubling for young teenagers.
Helan Muzuri
I really like this book!!!! It's one of my favourits.
Solomiiai
The name of the book is Girls in Tears, and the author is Jacqueline Wilson. The genre of this book is sort of Autobiography. The author is a woman and she is writing about a teenage age of a girl, and I personally think every women is qualified to write about this specific topic. I think it is suppose to be written in a humorous way, the publisher is CORGI BOOK and the years is 2003. It was first published in Great Britain. The book is promised to deliver all the feeling that a teen goes throug ...more
bakanekonomama
Mar 05, 2014 bakanekonomama rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't like it at all.

Malas sekali baca kisah tiga sahabat yang kali ini terlalu dibumbui dengan percintaan dan drama itu. -___-

Mengerikan lihat dunia ini, ketika anak usia 13 tahun udah pacaran dengan gaya kayak gitu. Iya, saya tau ini di UK, tapi tetap saja serem bacanya. Cium-ciuman, peluk-pelukan, dan yg lain-lain (untung ga sampe ke situ, cuma tetep aja ngeri bacanya). Mana pake ada acara selingkuh-selingkuhan, minum-minuman keras. OMG! 13 tahun bbookk!!!!

Makanya saya nggak suka sama kisah y
Eunag
Annabel
Apr 17, 2013 Annabel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Dame Jacqueline Wilson (a very deserved title!) is, in my opinion, the best contemporary children's writer. She writes perfectly, in content, theme, style and accessibility for children from aged 6 to 13 (ish - of course this varies among children). She writes flawlessly for children, I could not find a single fault.

She is never patronizing and introduces young people to important life issues such as love, poverty, friendship, adolescence, separated parents, illnesses and so much more, in a mann
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
Jul 09, 2014 Emily (Mrs B's Books) rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Over 11's
This book is about three best friends who are coping with boyfriends, jealousy and growing up.

Ellie and her friends deal with an internet boyfriend who seems too good to be true, cheating, and best friends that betray them when alcohol and the death of pets are involved.

We also see that even though you may not be best friends with someone at the moment you will aways get together with them to help save your other friends along the way.

The book is good for those over 11, but as an adult I just fo
Indi
'Girls in Tears' by Jacqueline Wilson

These books are just too easy to read! The girls may be roughly the same age as me yet there completely different. I don't know if that's a personality thing or just these characters. Like I've said for the other three books, the plot is for older kids but the writing for young children.

I must admit I love the relationship between Ellie and Russell. I loved the major conflict as well. It was just so interesting and well thought out.

The only thing that I didn
Rachel Brand
Mar 14, 2009 Rachel Brand rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: Tamsin
I think I'd grown out of these books by the time the fourth one was published, so I didn't appreciate as much as I might have a few years earlier. In a way, it felt like Wilson was pushing the story further than it could really go so the events in this book felt a bit forced. I remember thinking "Really, haven't they been through enough?" Particularly with Nadine, who never had any good luck when it came to guys. I suppose Wilson just saw an opportunity to talk about the dangers of internet dati ...more
Penny
Jun 06, 2009 Penny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Girls in tears
Ellie's glorious romance with Russell is teetering on the rocks. Magda's lost her pet and is desperately upset (through the others didn't even know she still had a hamster) And nadine is fed up with the other two lecturing her about the dangers of meeting someone on the Internet - she thinks an e mail boyfriend is wonderful. Buckets of tears are wept and hundreds of tissues sniffled into. Can the girls' friendship survive these testing times?"
Nóri Somogyi
May 16, 2012 Nóri Somogyi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ellen
Oct 04, 2012 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book itself is very well written. It's 1st person point of view, which brings us a better understanding of the character. I've always liked Jacqueline Wilson's books, but this one was very sad. I loved the descriptive details but I don't like to read about someone being depressed. Some how I just couldn't put the book aside. If you're someone who likes a lot of humor, you might not want to read this...
Emma
Jan 31, 2010 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to give this book at 4 stars, mainly because this book-series was my ultimate favourite when I was in my early teens. Back then, I felt like they were some of the few books that actually got how being that age was like. It's a good and funny book and the characters are well-written and realistic.
Marta
Jul 28, 2008 Marta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love the girl serirs of Jacqueline Wilson's books. I really like Jacqueline Wilson and I think that I have nearly read all of her books. Girls in tears is about the 3 girls who lose boyfriends and cry, and cry, and cry...etc. etc. I will not tell you any more. Read it if you want. I will still think that Jacqueline Wilson's books are the BEST. (at least for now):P
Juliet
Jul 22, 2012 Juliet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this entire book series when I was younger, so I'll always consider them to be special. I don't think I'd be able to stop cringing if I re-read them now, though, as it's typical of Jacqueline Wilson's style: unrealistic verging on impossible, not particularly well-written but enjoyable all the same.
Siobhan Johnson
Aug 10, 2015 Siobhan Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book it really explained how teenage girls really feel and all their problems. I think it's a really good way to explain to young girls that good looking and having a boyfriend isn't everything. I also like how Jacqueline Wilson put down the feelings of Isabelle and how she thinks her life is horrible.
Alannah Clarke
I always thought that this was a great last book to the Girls series. Looking back now I thought this book dealt with some really important issues that every girl faces. I remember being really upset at seeing Ellie and Russell's relationship and poor Magda losing her hamster because I knew what it felt like.

To be honest I wish I could go back in time and re-read all these books again.
  • The Exiles in Love (The Exiles, #3)
  • Dates, Double Dates and Big, Big Trouble (Ally's World, #2)
  • Sunset Song (A Scots Quair, #1)
  • Flying High (Angels Unlimited, #3)
  • Lucky Star
  • The Cruel Sea
  • Reach for the Stars (Fame School, #1)
  • The Sleepover Club at Frankie's (The Sleepover Club, #1)
  • Thin Ice
  • Escape From Warsaw
  • Hacker
Jacqueline Wilson was born in Bath in 1945, but spent most of her childhood in Kingston-on-Thames. She always wanted to be a writer and wrote her first ‘novel’ when she was nine, filling in countless Woolworths’ exercise books as she grew up. As a teenager she started work for a magazine publishing company and then went on to work as a journalist on Jackie magazine (which she was told was named af ...more
More about Jacqueline Wilson...

Girls (4 books)
  • Girls in Love (Girls, #1)
  • Girls Under Pressure (Girls, #2)
  • Girls Out Late (Girls, #3)