Start by marking “Arthur Rackham: A Life with Illustration” as Want to Read:
Arthur Rackham: A Life with Illustration

Arthur Rackham: A Life with Illustration

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The definitive and sumptuous biography of the one of the world's most collectible illustrators contains a richly detailed account of his life along with beautifully enchanting pictures.

Examining the work of the illustrator Arthur Rackham, this monograph traces his achievements throughout his illustrious career. Rackham's illustrations for such works as Alice in Wonderland,...more
Published December 1st 2010 by Pavilion (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Arthur Rackham, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur Rackham

Orsolya
Arthur Rackham’s name may be one you are unfamiliar with but his work have certainly invaded your eyes on many occasions. From “Alice in Wonderland” to “Peter Pan” and “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” to the Brothers Grimm; Rackham’s work is charming, whimsical, but also grotesque and fantastical. James Hamilton goes beyond the images to the man himself in “Arthur Rackham: A Life with Illustration”.

Mixing powerful writing with suitable praise, Hamilton truly opens up the life of Arthur Rackham. Begi...more
Hannah
For as long as I can remember, I've loved Arthur Rackham's illustrations. To me, he defined the world of faerie, in all its sometimes grotesque, otherworldly beauty.

Very interesting book covering Rackham's life, complete with tons of his illustrations and watercolors.

An amazing artist.
John Shelley
This book has to be the most sumptious and thorough work on Rackham yet. Hamilton painstakingly relates the details of Rackham's life, with enlightening glimpses into the artist's youth, as well as the years following success. Hamilton places a great emphasis on the business side of Rackham's career, running through the adjenda of his life interspersed with contemporary reviews of his books and anecdotes of family life. So thorough is the accounting that the author even includes a fascinating ap...more
Katy
I was a tad iffy about this book at first, mainly due to the fact I have seen so many book on Arthur Rackham before I wondered what could possibly be added to the already substantial collection. Turns out I was wrong for whatever doubt I had, if you are going to research this illustrator or just own one book about his work I would recommend only this book.

The printing of the book i cannot fault each image is beautifully presented and while I could have taken to some of the images being slightly...more
Jaimie
I cannot imagine a more lush and complete chronicle of Rackham's life and art than this book. Hamilton carefully pairs the events of Rackham's life with his artistic developments, so that the narrative reads more like an artistic exploration than a biography - a positive effect in my opinion. At points, the text loops back on itself to re-discuss previous themes, but Hamilton does so in a way which ties the book neatly together rather than seeming repetitive. And then there's the illustrations....more
Diane Lynn
A very good book on Arthur Rackham's life complete with tons of his illustrations. The expressions on the faces of the animals he has drawn are amazing.
Elizabeth S
5 stars for the art: This book contains a marvelous collection of Rackham's art. For this alone, the book is worth 5 stars.

3 stars for the text: The text is a detailed study of Rackham's life. It was very interesting, but perhaps too detailed for me. For example, frequently there are lists of "well-known" people, and I didn't recognize even one of them. I guess I don't know enough about the art world. :) I still enjoyed the book!
Robert Seitz
Despite coming from a different reality with fewer distractions, I could count on one hand artists I have met who worked as hard and. continuously as Rackham. It shows. His sympathy for the underdog and his private way of life are just as unsurprising.
Varmint
hamilton gives a richly detailed account of the artists life. ultimately i didn't care. i began to view the text as wasting space that could have been used for the illustrations.

it is a good way to see a range of rackhams work. many obscure drawings.
Sarah Harkness
borrowed from Barnsley Library - I probably skim read the second half....
Tig
A fascinating insight into the life of an amazing artist.
Alan Culler
Once again, Thanks Patience & Steve.
Gonçalo Serra
Gonçalo Serra marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Tweety
Tweety marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Natalee
Natalee marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Chas Coffman
Chas Coffman marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Andrea Cesari
Andrea Cesari marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Eric Aguirre
Eric Aguirre marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Mahya
Mahya marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
A Life of Discovery: Michael Faraday, Giant of the Scientific Revolution If God Were a Space Alien Turner William Heath Robinson Hughie O'Donoghue: Painting, Memory, Myth