Start by marking “Arthur Rackham: A Life with Illustration” as Want to Read:
Arthur Rackham: A Life with Illustration

Arthur Rackham: A Life with Illustration

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  195 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The definitive and sumptuous biography of the one of the world's most collectible illustrators contains a richly detailed account of his life along with beautifully enchanting pictures.

Examining the work of the illustrator Arthur Rackham, this monograph traces his achievements throughout his illustrious career. Rackham's illustrations for such works as Alice in Wonderland,
Published December 1st 2010 by Pavilion (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Arthur Rackham, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur Rackham

Orsolya
Arthur Rackham’s name may be one you are unfamiliar with but his work have certainly invaded your eyes on many occasions. From “Alice in Wonderland” to “Peter Pan” and “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” to the Brothers Grimm; Rackham’s work is charming, whimsical, but also grotesque and fantastical. James Hamilton goes beyond the images to the man himself in “Arthur Rackham: A Life with Illustration”.

Mixing powerful writing with suitable praise, Hamilton truly opens up the life of Arthur Rackham. Begi
Hannah
Feb 11, 2013 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, 2013-reads
For as long as I can remember, I've loved Arthur Rackham's illustrations. To me, he defined the world of faerie, in all its sometimes grotesque, otherworldly beauty.

Very interesting book covering Rackham's life, complete with tons of his illustrations and watercolors.

An amazing artist.
John Shelley
Jun 07, 2009 John Shelley rated it really liked it
This book has to be the most sumptious and thorough work on Rackham yet. Hamilton painstakingly relates the details of Rackham's life, with enlightening glimpses into the artist's youth, as well as the years following success. Hamilton places a great emphasis on the business side of Rackham's career, running through the adjenda of his life interspersed with contemporary reviews of his books and anecdotes of family life. So thorough is the accounting that the author even includes a fascinating ap ...more
Jaimie
Dec 27, 2013 Jaimie rated it it was amazing
I cannot imagine a more lush and complete chronicle of Rackham's life and art than this book. Hamilton carefully pairs the events of Rackham's life with his artistic developments, so that the narrative reads more like an artistic exploration than a biography - a positive effect in my opinion. At points, the text loops back on itself to re-discuss previous themes, but Hamilton does so in a way which ties the book neatly together rather than seeming repetitive. And then there's the illustrations. ...more
Katy
Nov 09, 2013 Katy rated it really liked it
I was a tad iffy about this book at first, mainly due to the fact I have seen so many book on Arthur Rackham before I wondered what could possibly be added to the already substantial collection. Turns out I was wrong for whatever doubt I had, if you are going to research this illustrator or just own one book about his work I would recommend only this book.

The printing of the book i cannot fault each image is beautifully presented and while I could have taken to some of the images being slightly
Julia Hendon
Dec 31, 2015 Julia Hendon rated it really liked it
The real delight are all the color illustrations of Rackham's work which will struck a chord with many from their childhood reading. Rackham seems to have lived a quiet life and this biography doesn't give much insight into his emotions. But this may be due to lack of sources.
GingerDoll
Feb 01, 2016 GingerDoll rated it it was amazing
Just a beautiful, interesting book. Initially a library book loan, now a purchase because I can't put it down and dipping into Rackham's world.
Diane Lynn
Sep 11, 2014 Diane Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
A very good book on Arthur Rackham's life complete with tons of his illustrations. The expressions on the faces of the animals he has drawn are amazing.
Wetdryvac Wetdryvac
Jun 22, 2015 Wetdryvac Wetdryvac rated it really liked it
Quite enjoyable.
Elizabeth S
Mar 18, 2015 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it
Shelves: n-history, c-adult, n-nf, n-bio
5 stars for the art: This book contains a marvelous collection of Rackham's art. For this alone, the book is worth 5 stars.

3 stars for the text: The text is a detailed study of Rackham's life. It was very interesting, but perhaps too detailed for me. For example, frequently there are lists of "well-known" people, and I didn't recognize even one of them. I guess I don't know enough about the art world. :) I still enjoyed the book!
Robert Seitz
Jul 25, 2013 Robert Seitz rated it really liked it
Despite coming from a different reality with fewer distractions, I could count on one hand artists I have met who worked as hard and. continuously as Rackham. It shows. His sympathy for the underdog and his private way of life are just as unsurprising.
Varmint
Oct 22, 2007 Varmint rated it liked it
hamilton gives a richly detailed account of the artists life. ultimately i didn't care. i began to view the text as wasting space that could have been used for the illustrations.

it is a good way to see a range of rackhams work. many obscure drawings.
Sarah Harkness
Dec 21, 2011 Sarah Harkness rated it liked it
Shelves: nelly
borrowed from Barnsley Library - I probably skim read the second half....
Tig
Jan 04, 2011 Tig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating insight into the life of an amazing artist.
Alan Culler
Jan 05, 2008 Alan Culler rated it it was amazing
Once again, Thanks Patience & Steve.
B.
B. marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Isabel Valfigueira
Isabel Valfigueira marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Mary Taylor
Mary Taylor marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Amine
Amine marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Marjan
Marjan marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Rolayne
Rolayne marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Molly Neely
Molly Neely rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
Samah Elshamy
Samah Elshamy rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
Samah Elshamy
Samah Elshamy marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Jenny Barton
Jenny Barton marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
  • Barefoot Gen, Volume Seven: Bones into Dust
  • Women Artists and the Surrealist Movement
  • Spectrum 18: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art
  • Chrysalis: Maria Sibylla Merian and the Secrets of Metamorphosis
  • Steampunk: An Illustrated History of Fantastical Fiction, Fanciful Film and Other Victorian Visions
  • Latin for Gardeners: Over 3,000 Plant Names Explained and Explored