Start by marking “Arthur Rackham: A Life with Illustration” as Want to Read:
Arthur Rackham: A Life with Illustration

Arthur Rackham: A Life with Illustration

The definitive and sumptuous biography of the one of the world's most collectible illustrators contains a richly detailed account of his life along with beautifully enchanting pictures.

Examining the work of the illustrator Arthur Rackham, this monograph traces his achievements throughout his illustrious career. Rackham's illustrations for such works as Alice in Wonderland,
Published December 1st 2010 by Pavilion (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Arthur Rackham, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur Rackham

Orsolya
Arthur Rackham’s name may be one you are unfamiliar with but his work have certainly invaded your eyes on many occasions. From “Alice in Wonderland” to “Peter Pan” and “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” to the Brothers Grimm; Rackham’s work is charming, whimsical, but also grotesque and fantastical. James Hamilton goes beyond the images to the man himself in “Arthur Rackham: A Life with Illustration”.

Mixing powerful writing with suitable praise, Hamilton truly opens up the life of Arthur Rackham. Begi
Hannah
Feb 11, 2013 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, 2013-reads
For as long as I can remember, I've loved Arthur Rackham's illustrations. To me, he defined the world of faerie, in all its sometimes grotesque, otherworldly beauty.

Very interesting book covering Rackham's life, complete with tons of his illustrations and watercolors.

An amazing artist.
John Shelley
Jun 06, 2009 John Shelley rated it really liked it
This book has to be the most sumptious and thorough work on Rackham yet. Hamilton painstakingly relates the details of Rackham's life, with enlightening glimpses into the artist's youth, as well as the years following success. Hamilton places a great emphasis on the business side of Rackham's career, running through the adjenda of his life interspersed with contemporary reviews of his books and anecdotes of family life. So thorough is the accounting that the author even includes a fascinating ap ...more
Jaimie
May 22, 2012 Jaimie rated it it was amazing
I cannot imagine a more lush and complete chronicle of Rackham's life and art than this book. Hamilton carefully pairs the events of Rackham's life with his artistic developments, so that the narrative reads more like an artistic exploration than a biography - a positive effect in my opinion. At points, the text loops back on itself to re-discuss previous themes, but Hamilton does so in a way which ties the book neatly together rather than seeming repetitive. And then there's the illustrations. ...more
Katy
Nov 09, 2013 Katy rated it really liked it
I was a tad iffy about this book at first, mainly due to the fact I have seen so many book on Arthur Rackham before I wondered what could possibly be added to the already substantial collection. Turns out I was wrong for whatever doubt I had, if you are going to research this illustrator or just own one book about his work I would recommend only this book.

The printing of the book i cannot fault each image is beautifully presented and while I could have taken to some of the images being slightly
Elizabeth S
Oct 23, 2009 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it
Shelves: n-history, c-adult, n-nf, n-bio
5 stars for the art: This book contains a marvelous collection of Rackham's art. For this alone, the book is worth 5 stars.

3 stars for the text: The text is a detailed study of Rackham's life. It was very interesting, but perhaps too detailed for me. For example, frequently there are lists of "well-known" people, and I didn't recognize even one of them. I guess I don't know enough about the art world. :) I still enjoyed the book!
Julia Hendon
Dec 23, 2015 Julia Hendon rated it really liked it
The real delight are all the color illustrations of Rackham's work which will struck a chord with many from their childhood reading. Rackham seems to have lived a quiet life and this biography doesn't give much insight into his emotions. But this may be due to lack of sources.
Robert Seitz
Jul 21, 2013 Robert Seitz rated it really liked it
Despite coming from a different reality with fewer distractions, I could count on one hand artists I have met who worked as hard and. continuously as Rackham. It shows. His sympathy for the underdog and his private way of life are just as unsurprising.
Varmint
Oct 22, 2007 Varmint rated it liked it
hamilton gives a richly detailed account of the artists life. ultimately i didn't care. i began to view the text as wasting space that could have been used for the illustrations.

it is a good way to see a range of rackhams work. many obscure drawings.
Alan Culler
Jan 05, 2008 Alan Culler rated it it was amazing
Once again, Thanks Patience & Steve.
Diane Lynn
Sep 05, 2014 Diane Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
A very good book on Arthur Rackham's life complete with tons of his illustrations. The expressions on the faces of the animals he has drawn are amazing.
Sarah Harkness
Dec 13, 2011 Sarah Harkness rated it liked it
Shelves: nelly
borrowed from Barnsley Library - I probably skim read the second half....
Jane
Feb 01, 2016 Jane rated it it was amazing
Just a beautiful, interesting book. Initially a library book loan, now a purchase because I can't put it down and dipping into Rackham's world.
Phoenix
Phoenix rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2011
Elizabeth Dupond
Elizabeth Dupond rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2015
Maeve
Maeve rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2014
Nicole Oliver
Nicole Oliver rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2015
Inkyfinger
Inkyfinger rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2012
My Inner Shelf
My Inner Shelf rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2008
Allan
Allan rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2011
Chris Anderson
Chris Anderson rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Nicky
Nicky rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2011
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
AJ
AJ rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2012
Jane Hannah
Jane Hannah rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Leilani Anderson
Leilani Anderson rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2015
McKenzie
McKenzie rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
Alessandra
Alessandra rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2012
Francesca
Francesca rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
  • Spectrum 18: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art
  • J.W. Waterhouse
  • John Singer Sargent
  • Strange and Secret Peoples: Fairies and Victorian Consciousness
  • Steampunk: An Illustrated History of Fantastical Fiction, Fanciful Film and Other Victorian Visions
  • Latin for Gardeners: Over 3,000 Plant Names Explained and Explored