Start by marking “Baking by Flavor” as Want to Read:
Baking by Flavor

Baking by Flavor

Flavor is the essence of fine baking, the source of wonderful tastes and aromas that tempt the palate and delight the senses. In Baking by Flavor, Lisa Yockelson shares flavor-boosting secrets that can make virtually any recipe burst with new vigor and freshness. She reveals concepts and techniques for using 18 basic ingredients, including chocolate, vanilla, apricot, and ...more
Published March 5th 2002 by John Wiley & Sons (first published February 20th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Baking by Flavor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baking by Flavor

Sunni
Sep 26, 2007 Sunni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookingandbaking
I don't know if this really counts as "read" but I have perused it at length since receiving it on Monday as a birthday present and it is truly lovely. Unlike other cookbooks which are arranged by food type, this book is arranged by flavor - so yes, there are whole chapters on lemon, chocolate, ginger, coffee, and more. Who knew "buttercrunch" was a flavor in its own right? It is in this book!

If you like cookbooks and/or baking and/or luscious descriptions of sugary delights, you'll love this bo
Christina
Nov 04, 2011 Christina rated it it was amazing
Fabulous book with delicious recipes! I agree, some of her recipes are fussy--do you really need just two tablespoons of cream in a whole big pound cake? But you can omit little things like that without affecting the result. I love the organization of this book--each chapter is based on a flavor, and has many recipes featuring that flavor. So if you're in a cinnamon kind of mood, you can make cinnamon rolls or cinnamon coffee cake or cinnamon cookies, etc. Her instructions are thorough and I fin ...more
Robin
Feb 15, 2011 Robin rated it liked it
I have to give it only 3 stars because I find her recipes very fussy. They taste great but do you need one cup plus one teaspoon of flour? I've actually changed some of her quantities and haven't seen a difference in taste.
Jeni
Mar 04, 2008 Jeni rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
My husband and I frequent this book! When we want to make something good, we turn to Yokelson. She is not for the faint of heart, everything is from scratch, but well worth the effort.
Mrs.
Mrs. rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2009
Marleene
Marleene rated it liked it
May 01, 2011
Raellyn
Raellyn rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2008
Aquit
Aquit rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2011
Monique
Monique rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2017
Lilia
Lilia rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2012
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2008
Dineen
Dineen rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2012
Grandma
Grandma rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2010
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2011
Yossie Teitz
Yossie Teitz rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2007
Merry N
Merry N rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2008
Rita
Rita rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2014
Serena Goldstein
Serena Goldstein rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2011
Arthur
Arthur rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2011
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Sophia
Sophia rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2010
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2012
Jo
Jo rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2009
Lesley Nolan
Lesley Nolan rated it did not like it
Sep 12, 2016
Abe Achkinazi
Abe Achkinazi rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2014
Melina
Melina rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2009
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016