Baking by Flavor

Baking by Flavor

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Lisa Yockelson's classic guide to baking—finally in paperbackFlavor is the essence of fine baking, the source of wonderful tastes and aromas that tempt the palate and delight the senses. In Baking by Flavor, Lisa Yockelson shares flavor-boosting secrets that can make virtually any recipe burst with new vigor and freshness. She reveals concepts and techniques for using 18 b...more
Published March 5th 2002 by John Wiley & Sons (first published February 20th 2002)

Sunni
I don't know if this really counts as "read" but I have perused it at length since receiving it on Monday as a birthday present and it is truly lovely. Unlike other cookbooks which are arranged by food type, this book is arranged by flavor - so yes, there are whole chapters on lemon, chocolate, ginger, coffee, and more. Who knew "buttercrunch" was a flavor in its own right? It is in this book!

If you like cookbooks and/or baking and/or luscious descriptions of sugary delights, you'll love this bo...more
Christina
Fabulous book with delicious recipes! I agree, some of her recipes are fussy--do you really need just two tablespoons of cream in a whole big pound cake? But you can omit little things like that without affecting the result. I love the organization of this book--each chapter is based on a flavor, and has many recipes featuring that flavor. So if you're in a cinnamon kind of mood, you can make cinnamon rolls or cinnamon coffee cake or cinnamon cookies, etc. Her instructions are thorough and I fin...more
Robin
I have to give it only 3 stars because I find her recipes very fussy. They taste great but do you need one cup plus one teaspoon of flour? I've actually changed some of her quantities and haven't seen a difference in taste.
Jeni
My husband and I frequent this book! When we want to make something good, we turn to Yokelson. She is not for the faint of heart, everything is from scratch, but well worth the effort.
Jennifer Dispenza
Jennifer Dispenza marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Jeanina
Jeanina marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Mohammad Taufique
Mohammad Taufique marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2013
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2013
Sreevidhya
Sreevidhya marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2013
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2012
Kc
Kc is currently reading it
Sep 29, 2012
Mary
Mary added it
Jul 22, 2012
Hessah
Hessah marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2012
Dayna
Dayna added it
Oct 18, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
ChocolateChocolate Baking Style: Art Craft Recipes Brownies and Blondies Baking for Gift-Giving Country Cakes: A Homestyle Treasury