Start by marking “Healing at the Speed of Sound: How What We Hear Transforms Our Brains and Our Lives” as Want to Read:

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  129 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
At this very moment, you are surrounded by sound. Pause for a minute and try to listen to it all: the chatter of a passing conversation, the gentle whoosh of air vents, noise from a nearby street, someone turning the pages of a book, birds chirping in the trees.

We rarely pay attention to everything we hear, but every noise in our environment has the ability to change our m
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published September 29th 2011 by Brilliance Audio (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Healing at the Speed of Sound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing at the Speed of Sound

Richard Derus
This worthy book's yawny review has been revised and can now be found at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud.
Marival
Sep 29, 2011 Marival rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
An excellent book, easy to read, enjoyable, and full of examples and solutions from the everyday life to start being conscious and improve the sound environment in which we live.
Have you ever asked yourself how sound, volume, frequencies and even silence can impact your ear or your life? How they can heal and enhance your life? This book provides the perfect explanation of how sound (and music) influences our mood, the way we live, our performance, our health and of course our hearing system. An
Jacqui
Sep 27, 2011 Jacqui rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! From the first page I was hooked. So much incredible information to be gleaned. It really made me re-think how sound affects my life on a daily basis, and how sound can heal. The right sounds/music can really change your life, from your workout, to the environment at work, to your health and even your relationship. There are some great chapters on sound and education, something I was really interested in. After reading this book, I find my self making more conscious choices of what typ ...more
Carol K.
Nov 04, 2011 Carol K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this excellent book on Goodreads and have found many useful ideas to use. This book was very well written with the goals and objectives of the book defined at the beginning,and lots of resources listed at the end. The statements were backed up with scientific studies, investigations, surveys, and were not just theories, showing the reality of the sound/mind/body connection. I wonder if anything like this has been done with animals, for their healing and well-being?
Rose
Feb 27, 2012 Rose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Audiophiles!
Recommended to Rose by: NetGalley, Penguin Group
"Healing at the Speed of Sound" is a great examination of the impact of sound on a person's life - whether taken in the context of our moods, our work, or our overall development in life. The work examines the impact of sound in multiple facets of a person's life, and gives a bit of expansion on the science behind sound, individual accounts of people who have been impacted by it, and helpful tips on how to maximize (or in the case of noise, minimize) its role.

I liked how detailed this guide was
Jeff
Oct 19, 2011 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, let me disclose that I received a copy of this book for free in a goodreads first reads contest. I want to be clear from the start

This is a good book that covers the relationship of sound to the mind and body. The links are good - some good music and entertaining video.

The reason I didn't rate this book higher is that much of the content seems, well, obvious. I think that when you are writing a book such as this, it is difficult to maintain the best level of talking to the reader. You do
Lisa
Nov 02, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-researched and informative book on music and sound therapy's latest uses and examples of its practice. The interactive version was a bit buggy, but that could also be my now-old ipad! The audio clips by the authors repeated a lot of the info in the book - and that's a good thing! With so much information, I loved having it said in a slightly different way -- learning visually and audibly.
Anne
Jul 18, 2014 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. There were sections of it that didn't really apply to my life, but were interesting to read about. I am interested to investigate the connected web site and peruse the related information. The book has made me think about listening to music more actively and not out of habit. On a meditative end, I think I will investigate Gregorian chants, a mantra with personal significance and drumming as a means of relaxation (chapter 7, link 64)
I am also interested in listening t
Skye
Nov 28, 2011 Skye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read and some good information and ideas, but nothing I hadn't read before. I was hoping that this book would be a little denser, but I still liked it and will recommend it to others.
Timmy Smith
Oct 04, 2011 Timmy Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read each chapter of this book randomly. It makes sense. I suddenly became aware of how I could actually impact my outlook on life by immersing myself with healthy sound and silence.
Kasey
Feb 19, 2015 Kasey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm happy to be done with this book!
So let me hit you with the reasons you should read the book first.
1) This book is pretty much a wonderful plug for music therapy and how people can benefit from music therapy
2) This book will give you some pretty good ideas about certain things
3) If you have children or are pregnant this book will give you great pointers about developing your musical child
4) I was very happy with the conversational level of the language in this book. It was very easy to re
Larry Mynatt
Both authors are friends.
Debbie
Sep 05, 2012 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
"Healing at the Speed of Sound" is a scientific look at how music and noise (and silence) effect our emotions, our health, and even our ability to learn. They talked about managing noise, protecting your hearing, and using the music you like to influence your day (on waking up, for exercise, traveling to and from work, at work, in the evening, and before bed). The advice was pretty basic, and the "soundtrack for your day" is very much based on what you like. So you notice what songs effect you i ...more
Ginger
Oct 02, 2011 Ginger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Healing At The Speed Of Sound - authors: Alex Doman & Don Campbell

I haven’t finished reading this book yet but am so enjoying it that I wanted to put some initial impressions down on paper. I’ll re-review after I have completely finished reading it the first time.

“I would teach children music, physics, and philosophy, but most importantly music, for in the patterns of music and all the arts are the keys of learning .” – Plato. In Healing At The Speed Of Sound this quote begins Chapter 4, w
Marival
Sep 29, 2011 Marival rated it it was amazing
Bryan
Mar 26, 2014 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read with lasting benefits "if you apply what you learn." What did I learn? Humming for 15 minutes a day reduces sinus problems--not a bad thing to know during allergy season.

Lots of specific tips/study results document the healing power of music that can be used with any age group, in family settings, and in conjunction with specific medical problems.

The concept of shaping our sound environment each day is explored with lots of practical examples.
Cynthia Fry
Jun 19, 2014 Cynthia Fry rated it really liked it
I loved the subject matter and learned quite a few things. One of the annoyances in the audio format was the link footnotes. They often did not provide the website link, only the text about what the link was (eg this video of a dance troop in Boston). I wish music psychology was in this stage when I was going to school.
Carol
Jul 12, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is very informative about the effect of music and sound on the body and mind how it effect everything in your life with out you even knowing it. I enjoyed it on a audio cd highly recomend this it can make a big diffrent in your lfe
Mandy Doman
Oct 05, 2011 Mandy Doman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Healing at the Speed of Sound

I have always loved the idea of using music & sound in creative and practical ways and I know what a powerful impact it can have in our life. The authors get that each person is unique in what works for them, so they offer ideas to teach us how to customize our own sound environment.

They have opened my eyes (and my ears) to the methods available to improve brain function through sound so we can live a healthy and productive life. I enjoyed all the extras too: Li
Em
Feb 16, 2012 Em rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I won this book for free from Goodreads First Reads.
I am going ti agree with some of the reviewers on here and say that while this book has very good information, it is put so bluntly that it makes it hard to read. All the sentences are so straight. It is just information.
I like when they talk about other people's stories with music, though. Although they were real stories, that was probably the most creative thing about this book.
And, also as some reviewers have said, the information is not re
Patricia Herlevi
Jul 05, 2012 Patricia Herlevi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed "Healing at the Speed of Sound" more than "The Mozart Effect". While Don Campbell introduced numerous studies on the healing power of sound/music in both books, the newer titles provides more flowing text. It also brings studies with brain, nervous system, music used in healing environments etc up to date. This book introducing a topic that fascinates me to no end. If you are interested in healing yourself and others with music, then I highly recommend this book. But if you would rathe ...more
Terryann
Dec 01, 2011 Terryann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i was completely sucked in by the information presented in this book as well as the informative links, downloads, videos and audio-casts on the website which were tied in. this is an accessable and readable non-fic wich really got me buzzing. the author takes you through the human life span from birth do alzheimer's and relates to you how sound, music, tone and rhythm develop the brain, heal the body and spiritualize the mind. i'm super excited to do some more research and am even tossing around ...more
Cyndi
The concept in this book is that people can become more conscious about improving our "sound nutrition" and thereby improve our daily lives. Music and sounds can be chosen deliberately to energize, regulate moods, create household harmony, improve thinking, facilitate relaxation, and more. Conversely, the sound pollution that is so prevalent almost everywhere can have multiple adverse effects on well-being. Even though I already know these things intuitively, this book provides a welcome reminde ...more
Doris Raines
This. Is. Another. Book. Iam. Adding. To. My. Collection.
Mel
Jul 11, 2015 Mel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was interesting, but not captivating. I liked that they had a website which plays some of the music they reference.
Nancy Peske
Mar 20, 2013 Nancy Peske rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We don't often think of our soundscapes but this book does an incredible job of awakening us to the power of music and sound to alter our physical, emotional, and mental experience. If you can't get the interactive version with live links for your tablet or eReader, be sure to check out the links anyway--it really does help you appreciate the points the authors make. I increased my use of music and sound to enhance my life after reading this book.
Shaina
Oct 04, 2011 Shaina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alex and Don have made me aware of the importance of sound in my life, including the need for silent breaks from the everyday noise around me. I have now created a "soundtrack for my life," which I use to start my day, improve my mood, help me focus at work, and energize me during a workout. I recommend this engaging book to everyone because most people I know don't realize how sound, noise and music affect their mood, productivity and health.
Josh
Dec 27, 2013 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sound matters: Choose your environment wisely. Select music with intention. Decide how to listen to that selection.

Well written book and with many endnotes. (I have not yet listened through the accompanying web site and links/references from throughout the book.)
Chris
Oct 25, 2011 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I give this three stars instead of more only because so much of it seems obvious when you think about it. But the format including weblinks and examples of the music or sounds under discussion is wonderful. You get to experience the book with more than just your visual sense.
Priscilla
Feb 06, 2013 Priscilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great guide on how different sounds can effect your mind, body, and spirit on all levels. How different sounds can either make you more ill or more healthy starting from the molecule level of life to the more material/physical level of life.
  • Your Playlist Can Change Your Life: 10 Proven Ways Your Favorite Music Can Revolutionize Your Health, Memory, Organization, Alertness, and More
  • Nerve: Poise Under Pressure, Serenity Under Stress, and the Brave New Science of Fear and Cool
  • The 11 Karmic Spaces: Choosing Freedom from the Patterns That Bind You
  • Cavemen, Monks, and Slow Food: A History of Eating Well
  • The Woman Who Changed Her Brain: And Other Inspiring Stories of Pioneering Brain Transformation
  • Gay: A New Path Forward
  • Living Like Ed: One Man's Guide to Living an Environmentally Friendly Life
  • Situations Matter: Understanding How Context Transforms Your World
  • Epiphany: True Stories of Sudden Insight to Inspire, Encourage, and Transform
  • Connectome: How the Brain's Wiring Makes Us Who We Are
  • Think Smart: A Neuroscientist's Prescription for Improving Your Brain's Performance
  • The Sense of Being Stared At: And Other Unexplained Powers of the Human Mind