Start by marking “Died in the Wool (Roderick Alleyn Series)” as Want to Read:
Died in the Wool (Roderick Alleyn Series)

Died in the Wool (Roderick Alleyn #13)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,004 ratings  ·  66 reviews

One summer evening in 1942, Flossie Rubrick, goes to her husband's wool shed to rehearse a patriotic speech - and disappears. Three weeks later she turns up at an auction, packed inside one of her own bales of wool and very, very dead

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1995 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Died in the Wool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Died in the Wool

Craig Sisterson
Died in the Wool is one of four Alleyn tales Marsh set in her native New Zealand, and is made even more interesting as it was actually published during the Second World War, and incorporates aspects, issues, and perspectives on the war climate into the murder mystery plotline. Being written before Marsh would have even known when or how the war would end, some of the settings and characterisations can give insights into New Zealand at that time that no recently written historical novel, no matte ...more
Victoria Miller
Has the most insidious manner of hiding the body of any mystery I've ever read.
Hope
Dark & intense Alleyn mystery, set in Marsh's native New Zealand during WWII. Alleyn, working for British intelligence in wartime, is asked to investigate the gruesome death of a female MP, whose body was found pressed into a bale of wool from her remote sheep farm. Was she killed because she was investigating potential spies or because of something more prosaic?

The setting here is evocative and the plot effective and creepy. Marsh is really underrated, which I suspect is because Alleyn is
Sorcha
World War II rages on, and Inspector Alleyn continues as the Special Branch’s eyes and ears in New Zealand. While his primary brief is spy-catching, he’s also happy to help with old-fashioned policing. Flossie Rubrick, an influential Member of Parliament and the wife of a sheep farmer, is murdered. Had she made political enemies? Had a mysterious legacy prompted her death? Or could the shadowy world of international espionage have intruded on this quiet farm?

I listened to this as an audiobook in
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in July 1998.

A second wartime Alleyn mystery set in New Zealand (following on from Colour Scheme). The idea that Alleyn was in New Zealand as a counter-intelligence officer rather than a homicide department police officer means that some reason needs to be given for him to investigate a murder. In this case, the security implication is a possible link with an engineering design project under way at a remote sheep-station.

Florence Rubrick was an MP and the wif
Ali
On a summer evening in 1942 in New Zealand a formidable woman MP Florence (Flossie) Rubrick walks through the grounds of her home on a famous sheep farm, to the wool shed to practise her forthcoming speech. No one sees her again. Three weeks later she turns up at a wool auction, gruesomely packed tightly into a bale of wool.
A year later, Flossie’s husband’s nephew Fabian Losse asks Roderick Alleyn - who is in New Zealand to undertake investigations for the government – to look again at the case.
Judith
I read this first many years ago. Maybe fifty? Yikes. I remembered how the body was discovered, in a bale of wool. I remembered that Roderick Alleyn was the Scotland Yard detective who went to New Zealand to investigate. The rest I did not remember. Only that I liked it, as I tend to like all Marsh's mysteries.

Alleyn is called in somewhat unofficially by the owner of property where a woman was killed. The local police force had worked on the case a year ago and had not been able to solve it. Aft
rabbitprincess
Mar 03, 2012 rabbitprincess rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marsh fans, perhaps Marsh newbies, spinners
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: Julia
If you're an enthusiast of the fibre arts, particularly spinning, and also enjoy mysteries, this book is a good way to combine the two interests. Set in New Zealand during the Second World War, the plot is a "cold case" of sorts, or at best lukewarm. New Zealand MP Florence "Flossie" Rubrick, whose husband owns a wool operation called Mount Moon, goes into the wool shed to practise a speech, and is never seen alive again. She is found three weeks later at an auction, packed inside a bale of Moun ...more
Kiera Healy
I liked this one, which was a pleasant deviation from the increasingly standard formula of Marsh's novels. Typically, there is a lengthy build-up, a murder at the halfway point, and the dramatic appearance of Alleyn in the final act. Here, though, we are dealing with murder in retrospect: Alleyn is there from the start, piecing together the mystery by interviewing all the inhabitants of the dead woman's sheep station (as I believe our Antipodean friends call them).

It's a nice change, and the dev
Carol
It’s reminiscent of an English country manor mystery, although it takes place on a sheep farm. Florence Rubrick, a member of parliament and the owner of the sheep farm is found murdered after missing for three weeks, encased in a bale of her own wool. Roderick Alleyn, Marsh’s series detective, is called in by a family member to investigate after the local police have gotten nowhere in over a year. Apparently Roderick is a distant relation to the dead woman. Also, he is doing War duty in England ...more
Mmyoung
A great improvement on her previous book (Colour Scheme). Marsh was still constrained by the reality of writing a murder mystery in the middle of a war and her need (perhaps thrust upon her by her publishers) to make Alleyn appear in the book. The logic of the book collapses under any serious scrutiny. SPOILER -- as Alleyn's explanation at the end of the book makes clear there were only two people who were ever, serious likely candidates as spies, the authorities knew that, the "secret" at risk ...more
Deb
I've never read any Ngaio Marsh before although I remember my mom reading this author. I found this through an on-line book group on Ravelry and decided to give her books a try.

It's just after World War II, and New Zealand woman, Florence Rubrick has been brutally murdered and her body hidden in a wool bale. Inspector Allyn has been sent out from England to help solve this cold case as there is a suspicion that her death is part of an on-going espionage investigation. I found this novel to be s
Brett
Marsh does another classic whodunit with a small family group, many motives, & much opportunity, this time in wartime New Zealand. Somewhat annoying Member of Parliament Florence Rubrick is found after being missing for three weeks - found pressed into a bale of wool produced by her sheep station. Motives abound, with family members & ranch employees alike who had good reason to dislike her, but the impetus to solve it really comes months after the fact: was the death tied to hints of es ...more
Harriet
Wonderful book. It doesn't matter how many clues the author leaves, I always fail to spot the motive and murderer. With her eye for detail, she effortlessly allows the reader to enter into the world of the 1930s. Inspector Alleyn is an attractive character and as the books progress, it is very enjoyable to find out more about his background, family and wife. I'm steadily reading my way through all in the series and I'm not looking forward to the moment when I have finished them. They are interes ...more
Cindy Rollins
Part murder mystery, part spy novel written during WWII so that you can really feel the tension and fear of spies and fifth columnists.

Though Marsh was a New Zealander, her detective Roderick Alleyn was pure Brit. Even so this is one of a handful of her stories to actually take place in NZ.

Katherine Thomas
Re-reading some of the old Golden Age of Mystery classics like Ngaio Marsh makes a nice change from all the really gritty and depressing new stuff. This one is set in New Zealand in WWII and is interesting for the historical stuff too.
Surreysmum
Catherine
I usually like her mysteries, but this one just wore me out. The entire book is dialog, which isn't too different from her usual style, but I only finished it because I hate not finishing a book. Especially by someone I usually really enjoy reading.
Marsh always does a lovely job of informing the reader about the sights, sounds, and process of whatever setting. This time it's Australia near the close of WWII, on a sheep ranch. Very psychological story.
Katie Hilton
This is an interesting mix of murder mystery with some spy intrigue thrown in, as it is set in New Zealand during WWII. Chief Inspector Alleyn sorts out the suspects in the murder of a New Zealand politician. A very good read.
Kirsti
Pleasant. There's better character development here than there is in Agatha Christie's books, but the puzzle wasn't nearly as good. New Zealand wartime setting and Rashomon-like points of view kept this interesting. Was the murder victim a kindhearted feminist, a plodding busybody, or a self-obsessed shrew?

I'm trying to find a replacement for Christie because at some point I will have read all her novels. This is the second Ngaio Marsh I've tried, and neither book has impressed me. Do you have a
Jemera Rone
Pretty good, although the paperback copy I read almost crumbled in my hands. This takes a Scotland Yard detective to New Zealand during WW2 in an attempt to ferret out a spy.
Mary Helene
The descriptions of New Zealand were stunning. I could almost smell the air. Some charts or diagrams of the wool shearing process itself would have been a wonderful addition.
Sunsettowers

While an unusual novel for Marsh in that it is both a murder mystery and a spy story, Died in the Wool has all the wonderful typical components of Marsh's work-a secluded estate, a cast of complex characters, twists and turns, and the fantastic Inspector Alleyn.

Alleyn has been called to the scene of the crime a year after the murder occurred. It is wartime, and while Alleyn is obstentiously there to seek out the spy in their midst, he is also there to figure out who stuffed and pressed a woman's
Great mystery that I was so sure I knew who the murderer was only to be wrong. And then it seemed so obvious when laid out before the reader. Sigh. Maybe sometime I'll nail it perfectly.
Doina
I didn't care at all for her last book, so I was definitely pleased to see that her plot was a bit better in this one. Yes, it's another spy novel, and the spy angle is definitely overplayed. But the mystery was interesting and the spy angle didn't detract too much from it. And in this installment, Alleyn goes back to normal, or as normal as he can get considering he is away from home, tracking down spies, and trying to solve an 18 month old murder without his trusted sidekick. I'm just hoping t ...more
Kaethe
I just didn't care very much, although I can see the comparison to Christie

Dottie West
Another very good book by Miss Marsh, a talent as bright as ever.
JackieB
This was OK, but it was a talking book and I found the narrator distracting. He used very breathy, falsetto voices for the women and that bothered me. Other times when I've lstened to audio books narrated by men, they've raised the pitch of their voice a little bit when reading words spoken by women characters, but not as much as this one did and i think i prefer that approach. It distracted me so much I can't work out how much I enjoyed the plot etc of the book itself. I think if I'd read this ...more
Barrette Plett
May 24, 2013 Barrette Plett rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Barrette by: Whodunit? Mystery Bookstore
The first half of the book really drags. The second half is a can't put down page turner. I'm going to try another Ngaio Marsh book before writing her off, but I'm not sure I want to go through this experience again -- slogging through 100 pages because I wanted to "give it a chance" and then losing sleep because I couldn't put it down for the last 100 pages... ;)

In the end, it's a clever, tricky, surprising mystery, with much misdirection and an interesting (and surprising) "reveal" at the end.
  • Pilgrim's Rest (Miss Silver, #10)
  • Dancers in Mourning (Albert Campion Mystery #9)
  • The Documents in the Case
Dame Ngaio Marsh, born Edith Ngaio Marsh, was a New Zealand crime writer and theatre director. There is some uncertainty over her birth date as her father neglected to register her birth until 1900, but she was born in the city of Christchurch, New Zealand.

Of all the "Great Ladies" of the English mystery's golden age, including Margery Allingham, Agatha Christie, and Dorothy L. Sayers, Ngaio Marsh
More about Ngaio Marsh...

Roderick Alleyn (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • A Man Lay Dead (Roderick Alleyn, #1)
  • Enter a Murderer (Roderick Alleyn, #2)
  • The Nursing Home Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #3)
  • Death in Ecstasy (Roderick Alleyn, #4)
  • Vintage Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #5)
  • Artists in Crime (Roderick Alleyn, #6)
  • Death in a White Tie (Roderick Alleyn, #7)
  • Overture to Death (Roderick Alleyn, #8)
  • Death at the Bar (Roderick Alleyn, #9)
  • Death of a Peer (Roderick Alleyn, #10)
A Man Lay Dead (Roderick Alleyn, #1) Death in a White Tie (Roderick Alleyn, #7) Death of a Peer (Roderick Alleyn, #10) Artists in Crime (Roderick Alleyn, #6) Clutch of Constables (Roderick Alleyn, #25)