Dave Barry's Bad Habits: A 100% Fact-Free Book

Dave Barry's Bad Habits: A 100% Fact-Free Book

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  796 ratings  ·  20 reviews
If you're not already acquainted--nay, infatuated--with the works of the man who the New York Times calls "the funniest man in America," you can get cracking right now with this all-time favorite collection of Dave Barry's humor columns. Dave Barry's Bad Habits won't rot your teeth, cause your insurance premiums to go up, or make your kids go cross-eyed if they sit too clo...more
Published September 15th 1993 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Barry's Bad Habits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Barry's Bad Habits

Kaitlin
This book isn't outdated - it's awesome. Yes, I'm too young to be a Dave Barry fan, but fan I am. I read a book of his when I was a kid and will never grow out of him. True, most of these articles were written in 1982, the year my older brother was born, but so what? Barry's criticisms are still valid, and his perspective on life certainly is as well. And to say I laughed at nearly every one of these articles would not be an exaggeration.

I feel with Barry like I'm visiting with a friend. I under...more
Ed
Jun 05, 2011 Ed rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Humor fans
Not the best of the Dave Barry offerings, partially because it is a little bit dated. Nevertheless it is a very satisfying read. There were times I laughed out loud and many times I chuckled so the exercise of reading this book was worthwhile.

This is a collection of his newspaper columns, loosely organized under a number of topics like "Household Perils", "Government Follies", "Taxation Without Reservation", "Media is a mess-up," "Low Finance", etc. My favorite was "Health Habits" as he poked fu...more
Alan
My brother gave me a copy of "Bad Habits" some time ago, and I started reading it before I fell asleep each night, but almost every time I cracked the book open I'd start reading and then laughing...as much to myself as possible, because my wife was trying to sleep. But I'd laugh, the bed would shake and she'd roll over and ask "What in the world is going on!?" It's Dave Barry. Being an adult she'd roll her eyes at me, tell me to cut it out, and then ask me to turn off the reading light and go t...more
Cassie
This book is a collection of humor articles from the 80s. not much of it is relevant anymore, but it was still pretty funny.

I think the reason I didn't care much for this book is that I read it all at once. I would have enjoyed it much more if I had read the articles separately over a longer period of time, like they were originally intended to be read.
Terry
Jul 16, 2012 Terry rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: novel
Hilarious book filled with short anecdotes about everyday life. His articles originally appeared in newspaper columns, so many of them are related to current events. His imagination is what makes his humor. Truth about things like politics is often funny.
Anuradha Murphy
I skimmed through this book. It is full of the expected Dave
Barry brand of humor, and, as the title says, it's completely fact-free. It was good to read between doses of other disturbing books (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo).
Scott Sevener
This is the book that first introduced me to Dave Barry when I was in middle school - loved it and aspired to be just like Dave, flashy humor columnist lifestyle and all...
Blake Petit
This is by no means the best of Dave Barry's books, but it does hold a special place for me, as it is the first of his books I ever read.
Kimber
I used two articles in here for a humourous interp in high school. I think Dave Barry is very funny.
Maurean
entertaining; typical Barry. Some bits a bit dated, but overall, still good for a few chuckles.
Valerie
I paid less than $2 for this book, proving that you can so buy that kind of fun.
Deb
This one made me laugh out loud here & there - and I'm not making this up.
Helena Sorensen
Not Dave Barry's best, but still plenty of laughs. I love this guy.
Marylu Sanok
A typical Dave Barry book. It is amusing and even good, but I found it uneven.
Josh
You young folk may not realize this, but there was a time Dave Barry was funny.
Ruth
This book was pretty funny but being a topical book it is very dated.
Julia
lol, this guy is so funny!! i wish he was back in the newspaper!
Sutherland
If Steven Colbert were writing for a paper 30 years ago...
John
very, very funny. Not deep, but very funny.
Rajendra  prabhu k
dave barry 4 king of the universe
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Kiera Peacock
Kiera Peacock marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Deb
Deb added it
Jul 26, 2014
  • Real Ponies Don't Go Oink!
  • Ranting Again
  • Dirty Jokes and Beer: Stories of the Unrefined
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words, Vol. 2
  • Confucius Cat Says...
  • Interior Desecrations: Hideous Homes from the Horrible '70s
  • Journey to Cubeville (Dilbert, #12)
  • Tales Too Ticklish to Tell: Bloom County
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as...more
More about Dave Barry...
Peter and the Starcatchers (Peter and the Starcatchers, #1) Peter and the Shadow Thieves (Peter and the Starcatchers, #2) Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3) Big Trouble Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers, #4)