Start by marking “Dave Barry's Bad Habits: A 100% Fact-Free Book” as Want to Read:
Dave Barry's Bad Habits: A 100% Fact-Free Book

Dave Barry's Bad Habits: A 100% Fact-Free Book

If you're not already acquainted--nay, infatuated--with the works of the man who the New York Times calls "the funniest man in America," you can get cracking right now with this all-time favorite collection of Dave Barry's humor columns. Dave Barry's Bad Habits won't rot your teeth, cause your insurance premiums to go up, or make your kids go cross-eyed if they sit too clo ...more
Published September 15th 1993 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Barry's Bad Habits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Barry's Bad Habits

Kaitlin
Oct 02, 2012 Kaitlin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
This book isn't outdated - it's awesome. Yes, I'm too young to be a Dave Barry fan, but fan I am. I read a book of his when I was a kid and will never grow out of him. True, most of these articles were written in 1982, the year my older brother was born, but so what? Barry's criticisms are still valid, and his perspective on life certainly is as well. And to say I laughed at nearly every one of these articles would not be an exaggeration.

I feel with Barry like I'm visiting with a friend. I under
Ed
Apr 30, 2011 Ed rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Humor fans
Not the best of the Dave Barry offerings, partially because it is a little bit dated. Nevertheless it is a very satisfying read. There were times I laughed out loud and many times I chuckled so the exercise of reading this book was worthwhile.

This is a collection of his newspaper columns, loosely organized under a number of topics like "Household Perils", "Government Follies", "Taxation Without Reservation", "Media is a mess-up," "Low Finance", etc. My favorite was "Health Habits" as he poked fu
Alan
Dec 20, 2013 Alan rated it it was amazing
My brother gave me a copy of "Bad Habits" some time ago, and I started reading it before I fell asleep each night, but almost every time I cracked the book open I'd start reading and then laughing...as much to myself as possible, because my wife was trying to sleep. But I'd laugh, the bed would shake and she'd roll over and ask "What in the world is going on!?" It's Dave Barry. Being an adult she'd roll her eyes at me, tell me to cut it out, and then ask me to turn off the reading light and go t ...more
Corielle
Nov 02, 2016 Corielle rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Sometimes you just need a little junk food for your brain -- what my dad calls "popcorn books" -- and Dave Barry is always a good source for that kind of nonsense. You can read a few pages, set it down, and come back to it whenever.

I've reviewed Dave Barry collections here before, and there's nothing really new to say. This one's a collection of articles, no more than a couple pages each, published in 1993. He groups them by general categories: healthy habits, home maintenance, etc. The humor ho
Kimberly Seibert
I picked this book up at a Library book sale based off of the cavemen illustration and the words "bad habits." Regardless of this book being published in 1985 Dave Barry's wit can still be related to politics and views today. His sarcastic approach in his "100% fact free book" was thought provoking in the sense that our government repeats itself in it's mistakes. In this book Dave Barry talks about certain topics that are easy to relate to and laugh along with. But then there were some reference ...more
Cassie
Oct 09, 2012 Cassie rated it it was ok
This book is a collection of humor articles from the 80s. not much of it is relevant anymore, but it was still pretty funny.

I think the reason I didn't care much for this book is that I read it all at once. I would have enjoyed it much more if I had read the articles separately over a longer period of time, like they were originally intended to be read.
Will Caverly
Oct 09, 2014 Will Caverly rated it it was amazing
Sat on the back of my toilet tank for years, to the point where I've basically memorized it. I still laugh out loud reading this today.

My sense of humor was greatly influenced by this sarcastic, hilarious series of columns. It still reads well.
Terry
Jul 16, 2012 Terry rated it liked it
Shelves: novel
Hilarious book filled with short anecdotes about everyday life. His articles originally appeared in newspaper columns, so many of them are related to current events. His imagination is what makes his humor. Truth about things like politics is often funny.
Anuradha Murphy
I skimmed through this book. It is full of the expected Dave
Barry brand of humor, and, as the title says, it's completely fact-free. It was good to read between doses of other disturbing books (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo).
Scott Sevener
Jan 16, 2013 Scott Sevener rated it it was amazing
This is the book that first introduced me to Dave Barry when I was in middle school - loved it and aspired to be just like Dave, flashy humor columnist lifestyle and all...
Julie
Jan 17, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
Typical Dave Barry. I would probably give it a 3.5, but since it made me laugh out loud a few times, I will give it a 4.
Julia
Jan 15, 2009 Julia rated it really liked it
lol, this guy is so funny!! i wish he was back in the newspaper!
Kimber
Apr 11, 2008 Kimber rated it really liked it
I used two articles in here for a humourous interp in high school. I think Dave Barry is very funny.
Maurean
Apr 28, 2011 Maurean rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
entertaining; typical Barry. Some bits a bit dated, but overall, still good for a few chuckles.
sleeping panda
Nov 24, 2015 sleeping panda rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy
I read this between chapters of Donald Trump's new book Crippled America. Both were fact free, entertaining, quick reads.
Kevin Keating
Apr 28, 2015 Kevin Keating rated it really liked it
This was a hilarious book, written in like 1982. So it's better if you're older like moi. Lots of old columns.
John
Aug 01, 2009 John rated it really liked it
very, very funny. Not deep, but very funny.
Jonathan Plowman
Mar 22, 2016 Jonathan Plowman rated it it was amazing
Oldies (early '80s columns) but some very goodies from Dave Barry
Rajendra  prabhu k
Nov 17, 2012 Rajendra prabhu k rated it it was amazing
dave barry 4 king of the universe
Valerie
Jul 18, 2008 Valerie rated it it was amazing
I paid less than $2 for this book, proving that you can so buy that kind of fun.
Marylu Sanok
Mar 31, 2012 Marylu Sanok rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
A typical Dave Barry book. It is amusing and even good, but I found it uneven.
Sutherland
Mar 23, 2013 Sutherland rated it liked it
Shelves: lit
If Steven Colbert were writing for a paper 30 years ago...
Blake Petit
Jun 06, 2009 Blake Petit rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
This is by no means the best of Dave Barry's books, but it does hold a special place for me, as it is the first of his books I ever read.
Charley Duschen
Apr 13, 2016 Charley Duschen rated it liked it
Usual Dave Barry humor. made me laugh out loud many times.
Deb
Jul 26, 2009 Deb rated it liked it
This one made me laugh out loud here & there - and I'm not making this up.
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Jammies
Jammies rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2007
Jason , etc.
Jason , etc. rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2008
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2011
Teresa Bechtel
Teresa Bechtel rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2014
  • The Bride of Anguished English: A Bonanza of Bloopers, Blunders, Botches, and Boo-Boos
  • The Good Samaritan Strikes Again
  • Ranting Again
  • The definitive biography of P.D.Q. Bach (1807-1742)?
  • Don't Stand too close to a Naked Man
  • When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home
  • Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook
  • Interior Desecrations: Hideous Homes from the Horrible '70s
  • If I Ever Get Back to Georgia, I'm Gonna Nail My Feet to the Ground
  • Time Flies
  • How to Be a Villain: Evil Laughs, Secret Lairs, Master Plans, and More!!!
  • Scrum Bums: A Get Fuzzy Collection
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...