Start by marking “Yeah. No. Totally.” as Want to Read:
Yeah. No. Totally.

Yeah. No. Totally.

A searing portrait of a generation on the brink, Yeah. No. Totally. delivers the bad news. With a voice at once angry, soulful, fearless, and anarchistic, Lisa Wells pulls no punches. From the self-conscious nights at the bar to the shores of a river that no longer exists, from the internet message boards to the motel rooms after the show, Wells has seen herself, and she ...more
Paperback, First, 127 pages
Published June 21st 2011 by Perfect Day Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Yeah. No. Totally., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yeah. No. Totally.

Megan C
Apr 07, 2012 Megan C rated it really liked it
I picked this up in a bookshop in New York because the it has the material I like in covers—those really smooth ones that make that lovely sound when you wipe your hand across it. I'm a sucker for those covers. I try not to bend the spine in them, and usually I don't care (generally because I like my books to look worn with love).

I bought it because the author was from Portland, Oregon, and I love all things Oregon being an Oregonian myself.

I've lately become one of those people that doesn't buy
Jaclyn Jean
Jun 21, 2012 Jaclyn Jean rated it really liked it
Sharp insights by an astute observer of her generation. Moving personal histories in well-crafted and unlabored prose. Wells is a serious writer not short on charm and wit. I laughed. I cried. I rolled my eyes at younger versions of myself. I called my Dad.
G Sage
Jul 20, 2011 G Sage rated it it was amazing
Am loving Lisa Wells' book, "yeah.no.totally." Humorously irreverent, poetic, and a sort of commentary on the disjunctive lives of Portland's artist elite née hipsters. You should pick it up for sure. ♥ This!
Blake Nelson
Oct 30, 2011 Blake Nelson rated it it was amazing
Loved.
Philip Gordon
Feb 02, 2015 Philip Gordon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, canlit
I wasn't sure how to feel about this book until I reached the end of it. The content of the essays which proceed the short story taking up about half the book's length vacillate wildly in form, content, and quality, to the point where I was initially regretful I had purchased this collection at all. The opening essay on music culture was one I read hot off the heels of A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan, and it didn't even come close to standing with the same strength—moving forward, t ...more
Kevin
A promising and highly energetic collection of what you might call "creative non-fiction" in the John D'Agata school of thought. Wells in not afraid of lampooning her own scene and her own generation and that's the best thing about her voice. Some of her crystal clear vision becomes murky in the final (longest) story, The Body Autumnal, but up until that point, she's pretty impressive. Well worth checking out.
Tj
Aug 15, 2011 Tj rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Her opening piece on being young in Portland? Really good. Maybe it's because I'm young and live in Portland. But I liked it a lot.

Actually all the pieces are really good. She covers a lot of disparate topics, and I really enjoyed each one individually, but I wish that there were more. The collection feels a little light.
Joe
Feb 28, 2012 Joe rated it really liked it
Great read...well paced, witty creative pieces of non-fiction. I enjoyed it, but I got the feeling some readers would be turned off by Wells' irreverent hip voice. She can come off as being too cool for school. However, I happen to be very hip and am also too cool for school most days...so I really enjoyed this. I've loved everything Perfect Day Publishing has put out thus far. Great stuff.
Eli Hopkins
Jul 11, 2011 Eli Hopkins rated it really liked it
Lisa Wells' effortless deployment of topical humor is only the tip of the iceberg in this resounding debut of essays and fiction, under which lies the solid foundation of critical thinking that contemporary culture is too frequently bereft.
Brittany Wilmes
Nov 10, 2011 Brittany Wilmes rated it it was ok
Waaaay too cool for me. I heard this author speak at a panel recently and thought, as I'm a Portlander in my 20s, I would dig this book. Wrong. I couldn't finish the last story - something about the cynicism, the hard edges, made it really tough for me to appreciate this book.
LeeFrances
Oct 31, 2011 LeeFrances rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I liked the prose style and her snarky voice ringing throughout the essays, but my favorite by far was the last fiction piece, the Body Autumnal. I love any writing that leads to me to dive head first into my own craziness.
Thomas
May 31, 2015 Thomas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir-autobio
Creative writings on Portland, melancholy, and the strum und drang of Generation Y. I thought this was going to be insufferable, especially when I got to the "I-heard-Eliot-Smith-before-anybody-else" bit, but actually it's a wonderful book.
JoshBuck
JoshBuck rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Jaimee
Jaimee rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Lady T
Lady T rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2011
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Tobias
Tobias rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2011
Michael Heald
Michael Heald rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2011
Olivia
Olivia rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2012
Edith Leal
Edith Leal rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2015
John Isaacson
John Isaacson rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2011
Aaron Gilbreath
Aaron Gilbreath rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2016
Emerald Stacy
Emerald Stacy rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2014
Shannon Perri
Shannon Perri rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Anne Marie
Anne Marie rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Diana Salier
Diana Salier rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2012
Jac
Jac rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2014
Alec
Alec rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Tatiana
Tatiana rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2014