Start by marking “The Return of the Vampire (Vampire's Promise, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Return of the Vampire (Vampire's Promise, #2)

The Return of the Vampire (Vampire's Promise #2)

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  432 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Devnee makes a bargain with the vampire to gain beauty and brains...at the expense of her friends.
Mass Market Paperback, 166 pages
Published 1991 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Return of the Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Return of the Vampire

Tail of the Devil by Danielle DeVorVampire Origins - Project Ichorous by Riley BanksLuna Aeturnus by Simon OkillPapap's Teeth by Danielle DeVorAncient Blood by Brian Patrick McKinley
Vampires and Other Supernaturals
84th out of 97 books — 91 voters
Trick or Treat by Richie Tankersley CusickThe Hitchhiker by R.L. StineFunhouse by Diane HohDream Date by Sinclair SmithThe Silent Scream by Diane Hoh
Best Point Horror Books
38th out of 105 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Viktoria Jean
Oct 28, 2007 Viktoria Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the slayer
Author:
Links:
Characters:
Devnee, Aryssa, Victoria, vampire, Devnee's mother, Trey, William, Karen

My Response to the Book:
Be Yourself. That’s what I feel the moral of this book should be. This book revolves around a girl, Devnee, and the vampire who takes away her shadow to live in her and to implant evil, dark thoughts in
Kate
Feb 19, 2009 Kate rated it liked it
Another similar to The Cheerleader: popular girl meets vampire...
Allison
May 16, 2014 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of my all time favorites with her. This book started pretty good. I loved having able to feel like oh no what is going to happen next. I really want to find the first and third book of this. I can't find it cause we don't have it in our literary. When I finished I got attached to Caroline b cooney. I now read her books, but this book is one of my all time favorite books ever!
Lugosifan
Dec 22, 2014 Lugosifan rated it it was amazing
I read the 1st and 3rd books in the series but have never gotten my hands on the 2nd one, until now. It feels so GOOD to have read yet another whole trilogy, even if the books are all just mass paperbacks from the 90s. ;)
Laurie D'ghent
Creepy...in a good way
Patrick Ellard
Jul 18, 2012 Patrick Ellard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: point-horror
Solid sequel to the forst book in Cooney's vampire trilogy The Cheerleader, Return of the Vampire is much the as the original but with a different lead character and a different type of wish. The main character in this is a little less sympathetic than in the original which akes for good reading but again it's too Americanised and more suited to females because of it;s subject matter. Still though the Vampire of the story is again wonderfully described and suitably frightening and deserves a rea ...more
Jessie
Jul 25, 2016 Jessie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa
There was a time I was really into Caroline B. Cooney's novels. That time seems to have passed as I was not able to get into Evil Returns whatsoever. Maybe middle schoolers would enjoy it.
Lisa
Aug 19, 2011 Lisa rated it did not like it
Very underdeveloped! The plot was very basic and 2 dimensional. The characters were very shallow and underdeveloped. You don't really get to know any of the characters except for the main character Devnee. I probably would have enjoyed this book more if I were 10 years younger.
Patricia
again. good book. though i don't get how the series connects. i mean, the characters change from one book to the next. there are only minor details that are similar. it's a bit confusing but i liked this book a lot
Kim
Mar 19, 2011 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was basically the same as the first book in the series, except that apparently this girl actually has a family and that is what eventually pulls her through.
Robyn Drummond
That vampire really creeps me out. Kinda wish I knew what happened after though. Not just with Devnee. But with the previous girl.
Stacie
This is essentially the same plot as The Cheerleader with different characters and not nearly as good.
Victoria
Mar 15, 2009 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Victoria by: Me
Awesome! Caroline could've put more action with the vampire in it but overall good.
Arlene Allen
Oct 05, 2012 Arlene Allen rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adults
And yes, vampires existed in teen literature before Twilight.
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
This whole series was pretty good.
Kayla
Apr 03, 2008 Kayla added it
greatness, awesomeness
Jessica
May 23, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it
it was a good book!
Starry Up
Starry Up rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Kayleigh
Kayleigh marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Mrs Borden
Mrs Borden rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Laura Molloy
Laura Molloy rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Brenda Koustrup
Brenda Koustrup marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Kat
Kat rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Hunter
Hunter marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Caelesta
Caelesta rated it it was ok
Jun 29, 2016
Shauna Sheridan
Shauna Sheridan marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
  • Funhouse (Point Horror, #9)
  • Vampire
  • The Diary
  • Party Line
  • Blood Spell (Vampire's Love, #2)
  • The Yearbook
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Ripper
Caroline Cooney knew in sixth grade that she wanted to be a writer when "the best teacher I ever had in my life" made writing her main focus. "He used to rip off covers from The New Yorker and pass them around and make us write a short story on whichever cover we got. I started writing then and never stopped!"
When her children were young, Caroline started writing books for young people -- with rem
More about Caroline B. Cooney...

Vampire's Promise (3 books)
  • The Cheerleader (Point Horror, #18)
  • Fatal Bargain (Vampire's Promise, #3)

“I actually thought you would be kind," said the vampire.
"Go away!" screamed Devnee.
He did not answer.
"I didn't have to be kind," Devnee told him. "Victoria was kind for me."
He laughed.
"No one can be kind for you, my dear," said the vampire. "But I don't mind, of course. I have you now. There's no escape, my dear. You and I, Devnee Fountain, are a team.”
2 likes
“It was darker in the tower than any place Devnee had ever been. The dark had textures, some velvet, some satin. The dark shifted positions.

The dark continued to breathe. The breath of the tower lifted her clothing like the flaps of a tent, and sounded in her ears like falling snow.

It's the wind coming through the double shutters, Devnee told herself.

But how could the wind come through? There were glass windows between the inside and outside shutters.

Or were there?

The windows weren't just holes in the wall, were they?

What if there was no glass? What if things crawled through those open louvers, crept into the room, blew in with the cold that fingered her hair? What creatures of the night could slither through those slats?

She had not realized how wonderful glass was, how it protected you and kept you inside.

She knew something was out there.”
1 likes