Start by marking “L.A. Woman” as Want to Read:
L.A. Woman

L.A. Woman

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  385 ratings  ·  20 reviews
"L.A. Woman" by Cathy Yardley is the story of Sarah Walker, a girl who has done something that is not all that uncommon...moved to a new city for a guy who wasn't worth it. She moves to L.A. and changes her whole life in anticipation of marriage to her business-minded fiance, Benjamin. After continual stalling on Ben's part to join her, Sarah eventually snaps and dumps him...more
Published October 18th 2002 by Harlequin Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about L.A. Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L.A. Woman

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddCoraline by Neil GaimanLamb by Christopher MooreThe Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldMiddlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
Best Books of 2002
252nd out of 274 books — 99 voters
Slightly Single by Wendy MarkhamSee Jane Date by Melissa SenateMilkrun by Sarah MlynowskiScot On The Rocks by Brenda JanowitzSorcery and the Single Girl by Mindy Klasky
Best Red Dress Ink Books
39th out of 107 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Dawn
Hmmm, let's see, what did I learn from this book?

Hmmm, I think I learned that the club scene in L.A. is highly overrated as is the mediocre main character, Sarah, with few endearing qualities.

This story was predictable and I found none of the characters likeable or relateable.

Overall, I was glad to finally slog my way through this book to its end and move on to the next book on my shelf.
Charity
A little boring and predictable. I was glad to finish it and move on to something else.
Emily
Sarah is trying to find her place in the world. She moves to LA to set up house for her fiance, Benjamin, who is suppose to join her and support her so she can find what she wants to do. When things don't go as planned Sarah finds herself, single, jobless, and still direction less. With new and old friends around her all with opinions about Sarah's life and what she should do next.

This was a great coming of age type story. With the character making changes and decisions about her life through i...more
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
With a little hesitation, I pick up chick lit because I have to be in the mood for light and fluffy. Although this quintessential chick lit, it had heart and soul that made it more than just a girlie read. A story centered around a girl who makes the decision to "follow" or rather move to a new city - L.A., where her long-term fiance is said to follow. Will he ever move and will they ever get married? The ultimate questions.

As a girl who has decided to move with a boy, it takes some courage, gut...more
Emma
A typical chick-lit story, girls makes big changes/sacrifices for a boyfriend, boyfriend proves himself unworthy, girl dumps boy and then spends most of the rest of the book kissing frogs trying to find the Prince. While 'L.A Woman' didn't follow this pattern exactly, it's pretty close. In moving to L.A Sarah hopes to give her relationship a chance but when it doesn't work she reinvents herself with help from the big city and her flatmate. In the process she starts to lose who she things she is,...more
Rose
Pathetic characters. Heroine completely lacking in self esteem, spunk, or basic values. I actually threw this in the garbage after I read it, and I NEVER do that.
Melissa
Sarah moves to LA, takes a wild roommate, tries to find herself. Everyone learns a little and grows by the end.
Stephanie Caines
Deborah
Sarah moves to LA with plans on living with her boyfriend Benjamin (who was suppose to follow her to LA shortly). He ends staying at his current job for a while longer. Then he does move to LA but doesn't want to live with Sarah. Sarah, stuck with an expensive two bedroom apartment, searches for a roommate. Martika moves in a takes Sarah under her wing. She teaches Sarah how to party, dress, apply makeup, have a sex life...
rainyfeathers
This book is horribly dated. I read it when it first came out back in 2002. In a way it is a piece of nostalgia.

Light read about being young and not having direction.
Nicole
Everybody in this book is terrible. Everybody. It wasn't poorly written though, which is why I went with two stars instead of the one that the story deserved.
Lenore
This book was soooo fun! FYI-there is a little bit of sex and some cursing. A pleasant surprise for sure.:)
Rodney Marable
Jun 28, 2008 Rodney Marable rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people flying to Europe on vacation.
I bought this at the airport expecting crap but was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book.
Lindsay
$2 at Borders. Read on the plane. Predictable but entertaining. Some typos, which were distracting.
Sharal Hunter
Fast and enjoyable read with characters I found easy to relate to.
T.
Sep 28, 2009 T. marked it as to-read
I own this book and found it hard to get into the story.
Che_neffhotmail.com
I was so bored but continued to read through to the end
Kathryn
Paint by numbers chick lit, but a nice diversion I guess.
Devon
Quick read.
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Rebecca Collarin
Rebecca Collarin marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Tzivi
Tzivi marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Farah
Farah marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Trisha Hill
Trisha Hill marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Carly Tinkler
Carly Tinkler marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
  • Loose Screws
  • Dating Without Novocaine
  • Strapless
  • Mean Season (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Catching Alice
  • The Dominant Blonde
  • Seven Sunny Days
  • Starting from Square Two
  • Slave to Fashion
  • Summer in the Land of Skin (Red Dress Ink)
  • Confessions of an Ex-Girlfriend
  • The Breakup Club (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Roommates
  • Smart Vs. Pretty
A few random facts about me:

I am a fiction addict.

I love J.D. Robb/Nora Roberts, Jim Butcher, J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood, Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter, Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series, Stephen King, Jennifer Crusie, Marian Keyes, J.K. Rowling, and a slew of other authors.

I have been known to stay up all night to finish a new novel. I don't so much read as devour.

I am an out of...more
More about Cathy Yardley...
Enslave: Beauty Tames the Beast Crave: The Seduction of Snow White Rock Your Plot: A Simple System for Plotting Your Novel (Rock Your Writing, #1) Ravish: The Awakening of Sleeping Beauty Temping Is Hell (Necessary Evil, #1)