Start by marking “L.A. Woman” as Want to Read:
L.A. Woman

L.A. Woman

"L.A. Woman" by Cathy Yardley is the story of Sarah Walker, a girl who has done something that is not all that uncommon...moved to a new city for a guy who wasn't worth it. She moves to L.A. and changes her whole life in anticipation of marriage to her business-minded fiance, Benjamin. After continual stalling on Ben's part to join her, Sarah eventually snaps and dumps him ...more
Published June 1st 2002 by Harlequin Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about L.A. Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L.A. Woman

Dawn
Nov 12, 2008 Dawn rated it liked it
Hmmm, let's see, what did I learn from this book?

Hmmm, I think I learned that the club scene in L.A. is highly overrated as is the mediocre main character, Sarah, with few endearing qualities.

This story was predictable and I found none of the characters likeable or relateable.

Overall, I was glad to finally slog my way through this book to its end and move on to the next book on my shelf.
Charity
Jun 13, 2007 Charity rated it it was ok
A little boring and predictable. I was glad to finish it and move on to something else.
Emily
Apr 03, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, reviewed
Sarah is trying to find her place in the world. She moves to LA to set up house for her fiance, Benjamin, who is suppose to join her and support her so she can find what she wants to do. When things don't go as planned Sarah finds herself, single, jobless, and still direction less. With new and old friends around her all with opinions about Sarah's life and what she should do next.

This was a great coming of age type story. With the character making changes and decisions about her life through i
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
With a little hesitation, I pick up chick lit because I have to be in the mood for light and fluffy. Although this quintessential chick lit, it had heart and soul that made it more than just a girlie read. A story centered around a girl who makes the decision to "follow" or rather move to a new city - L.A., where her long-term fiance is said to follow. Will he ever move and will they ever get married? The ultimate questions.

As a girl who has decided to move with a boy, it takes some courage, gut
Emma
Jan 18, 2012 Emma rated it did not like it
A typical chick-lit story, girls makes big changes/sacrifices for a boyfriend, boyfriend proves himself unworthy, girl dumps boy and then spends most of the rest of the book kissing frogs trying to find the Prince. While 'L.A Woman' didn't follow this pattern exactly, it's pretty close. In moving to L.A Sarah hopes to give her relationship a chance but when it doesn't work she reinvents herself with help from the big city and her flatmate. In the process she starts to lose who she things she is, ...more
Stephanie Caines
Mar 24, 2011 Stephanie Caines rated it it was ok
Deborah
May 17, 2009 Deborah rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Sarah moves to LA with plans on living with her boyfriend Benjamin (who was suppose to follow her to LA shortly). He ends staying at his current job for a while longer. Then he does move to LA but doesn't want to live with Sarah. Sarah, stuck with an expensive two bedroom apartment, searches for a roommate. Martika moves in a takes Sarah under her wing. She teaches Sarah how to party, dress, apply makeup, have a sex life...
Hortensia
Jun 13, 2015 Hortensia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
¿Qué decir de esta novela? Quizá lo mejor será no decir nada.
No es mala del todo, pero realmente tampoco me gustó. El estilo de la escritora está bien, es ameno; pero la historia... por Dios, qué pereza con el protagónico femenino y los antihéroes ¡horribles! y un final tan cortado que parece inconcluso.
Desperdicio de lectura.
February Four
Feb 14, 2015 February Four rated it really liked it
I didn't think I would like this book as much as I did... but I do. I loved the ending and the characters, and it really was a fun read.
rainyfeathers
Dec 31, 2011 rainyfeathers rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
This book is horribly dated. I read it when it first came out back in 2002. In a way it is a piece of nostalgia.

Light read about being young and not having direction.
Lenore
Oct 11, 2012 Lenore rated it really liked it
This book was soooo fun! FYI-there is a little bit of sex and some cursing. A pleasant surprise for sure.:)
Rodney Marable
Jun 28, 2008 Rodney Marable rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people flying to Europe on vacation.
I bought this at the airport expecting crap but was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book.
Melissa
Sep 18, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
Sarah moves to LA, takes a wild roommate, tries to find herself. Everyone learns a little and grows by the end.
Nicole
May 15, 2013 Nicole rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit, 2013
Everybody in this book is terrible. Everybody. It wasn't poorly written though, which is why I went with two stars instead of the one that the story deserved.
Rose
Sep 15, 2014 Rose rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
Pathetic characters. Heroine completely lacking in self esteem, spunk, or basic values. I actually threw this in the garbage after I read it, and I NEVER do that.
Kyla
Kyla rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2011
Jai
Jai rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2016
Le'Lah
Le'Lah rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Kaci
Kaci rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2013
Christy
Christy rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2013
Raras Asti
Raras Asti rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2012
Mandy
Mandy rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2012
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2008
ثيئثم تخغ
ثيئثم تخغ rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2014
Marcia
Marcia rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2013
Virginie
Virginie rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2017
Jill Burns
Jill Burns rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2010
Julie
Julie rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2013
Brittany Dills
Brittany Dills rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2008
  • Dating Without Novocaine
  • Loose Screws
  • Hand-Me-Down
  • Mean Season
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink (Numbered Paperback))
  • Looking for Mr. Goodfrog
  • Starting from Square Two
  • Making Minty Malone
  • Babyface
  • This Is Chick-lit
  • My Life Uncovered
  • Catching Alice
  • Lucy's Launderette
  • The Key (Rachel Benjamin, #3)
  • A Clean Slate
  • Girl Most Likely to
  • The Single Wife
  • Roommates
A few random facts about me:

I am a fiction addict.

I love J.D. Robb/Nora Roberts, Jim Butcher, J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood, Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter, Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series, Stephen King, Jennifer Crusie, Marian Keyes, J.K. Rowling, and a slew of other authors.

I have been known to stay up all night to finish a new novel. I don't so much read as devour.

I am an out of
More about Cathy Yardley...