Start by marking “Lost in the Amazon: The True Story of Five Men and Their Desperate Battle for Survival” as Want to Read:

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In 1995, Stephen Kirkpatrick joined a five-man expedition into the remote jungles of the Peruvian Amazon. Kirkpatrick's assignment was to document an area of the rainforest that had never before been photographed, nor by most accounts, ever explored by white men.

Within hours of their departure, an inaccurate map and a series of bad decisions leave the group hopelessly lost
Published July 1st 2005 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Lost in the Amazon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost in the Amazon

Amy
This is one of the worst books I have read in a long time. The only reason the author became lost is because of poor planning. The only reason he survived is because of his guide coming to fetch him, after he stupidly did not stay with the group. Not once...but twice. He attributes his survival God...I attribute to nothing more than blind luck.

The author goes on and on about God throughout the book. Of all the things God could call you to do...photographing the Amazon seems unlikely. The author
Ben Vogel
Holy crap. Literally.

The author interjects way too much personal religiosity into this book (without fair external indication that it is such a book) and the "dramatic" story of survival simply isn't that dramatic. The writing is amateurish.

There is nothing to recommend here. I don't know how this book came into my hands, but the one good thing is that it is out of my life and perhaps I can save someone else the trouble with this review.
Kevin
A nature photographer goes on an expedition into the Amazon, but the expedition gets lost and ends up on a grueling journey.

I'm somewhat conflicted on this book. I enjoyed the adventure aspect. They do a good job of immersing you into the hot, humid, buggy Amazon with all the wildlife and vegetation. Being lost in this environment makes for a great story, even if it is because of poor planning and decision making.

On the other hand, the author is not a likable person. He puts his photography need
Micaela
I have a serious issue with one thing in this book, and it may be silly, but it seriously bothered me the entire time. The map in the front cover was completely USELESS. Maybe they did that on purpose because they were lost, too, but it just infuriated me every time they mentioned a town or a river.
Krista
Ok, I admit that I am a bit like a "fantasy football" player criticizing the ability of the pro-ball player as he sits on the couch as I review this book. I cannot see myself even ATTEMPTING a trip like Steven Kirkpatrick endured. That being said, I spent many moments in disbelief, declaring loudly, "What was he thinking?" as he detailed mishaps such as forgetting to pack his cameras in a waterproof case, purposely not taking anti-malarial drugs, chugging down Amazon swamp water (without thought ...more
Jason
I really enjoy a good survival story. Those that take place in the tropics bring along with them a savage quality that most wouldn't expect to find in such a paradise. Complete with jungle rot, dysentery, malaria, cannibalistic tribes, and high heat and humidity these books always make me grateful for the cautious side of me that keeps me from embarking on such an adventure.

The twists and turns in this story were, at times, less dramatic than expected. And, at times, they really surprised me. I
Wayne
I can't begin to describe how much I hated this book. The title is misleading, the author is a weak pathetic individual, and it is just boring. This guy wouldn't last 8 hours if he found himself in a true battle for survival. The whole time I kept hoping the author would die, I think that is what god was actually telling him to do.
Gwen
True adventure by National Geographic photographer who became separated from his party right about the same time his maps proved to be useless, leaving him guide and guidebook-less in the middle of a most inhospitable jungle. Lots of travel books tell about places well enough but reading about simply surviving in a place no human would willingly go alone makes a page turner. Not to mention the habitat is among the most fascinating on earth from bugs to weather to villagers.
Rick
Very good story of a photo shoot in the Amazon gone bad. Kirkpatrick and his companions become lost, due to circumstances beyond their control, and are forced to deal with all the perils that the Amazon region can throw one's way. Not at all a difficult read. Just over 200 pages, I read it in less than a day. Worth the time spent.
Sandi
Loved this one. It had "Wow" moments for me and some of it brought me to tears. Great travelogue about four men and a photojournalist who go to the Amazon with just a drawn map to photograph a portion of the Amazon that had never been photographed before. With the Amazon constantly changing, you can just imagine their circumstances.
Amy
If you can put up with the Christian bias in this book, it is a great story. Makes me quite thankful and grateful for the every day blessings we have.
Diana
Great book- easy reading- such adventures and great writing. Wish there were more pictures but the author's film was destroyed by the rainforest!
Kristen
I loved this book! It made me want to be a photographer and explore the Amazon without getting lost..
Vicki
Wildlife phtographer Stephen gets lost in the Amazon with his companions-a true story of unfortunate events.
Sly
dreadfully frightening account! page-turner.
Keith Lovell
I don't want to comment on this book. thank you
Lauren C
Lauren C marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Laurie Toews
Laurie Toews marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Tanya Delleman
Tanya Delleman marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Wilder Mississippi In Wilderness Song To Catch the Wind: A Photographer's Journey Among the Animals The Naturalist's Journal: A Book for Records, Notes and Observations