Z: Zombie Stories

Z: Zombie Stories

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  26 reviews
When the zombie apocalypse comes, it's not just those crusty old folks who will struggle against the undead, it's young people. What happens when you come of age during the zombie apocalypse?

Zombie Stories has the answer to that question.

Zombie Stories gathers together some of the hottest zombie fiction of the last two decades, from authors including Kelly Link, Jonathan...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Night Shade Books

TheBookSmugglers
Originally Reviewed on The Book Smugglers

Z: Zombie Stories is a collection of young adult zombie fiction, culled from assorted books and publications over the past two decades. All of the stories in this anthology (save the final entry from Thomas S. Roche) have been previously published - a fact that I completely missed when I started the book. Having read Rot and Ruin, imagine my surprise when I started Jonathan Maberry's "Family Business" only to find that it was the same (truncated, introduc...more
Amy L. Campbell
Note: Advance reader copy provided by Netgalley.

Not so much a collection of zombie stories (although there are zombies) as a collection about reanimated corpses of various kinds. There were a couple of very enjoyable stories, namely Family Business by Jonathan Mayberry and The Barrow Maid by Christine Morgan. A couple of stories focus more on the horrors of humanity than flesh-eating, these include The Skull-faced Boy, The Third Dead Body, and Seven Brains, Ten Minutes. There were a couple of we...more
Karissa
I got an advanced reading copy of this book through Netgalley(dot)com. This was an excellent collection of zombie stories. It started out really strong with some excellent stoires; most of the stories were well done and all-in-all it was an above average anthology of zombie stories. Most of these stories have appeared in other collections: the only story original to this collection is Deep Water Miracle by Thomas S. Roche.

The first four stories in the anthology were some of the strongest. Family...more
the golden witch.
This was a fun bunch of stories, but I was kind of disappointed. Some of the pieces used for this anthologies have been around for awhile, and I was kind of hoping for totally brand new stories from everyone all around. Don't get me wrong - I loved these entries (especially the beginning of "Rot & Ruin" by Jonathan Maberry.

What was definitely the strength of this anthology was the sheer amount of variation there were between the entries. Some were very emotionally touching, some were funny,...more
Cecelia
Back in September, when I discovered that Night Shade Books was releasing a young adult zombie anthology, I wondered what that would look like (and I told myself to hope for the best). After checking out the author lineup, I knew I’d find stories equally interesting, weird and well-written in this volume. And I did. I just didn’t quite bargain for the crazy, gross and not-right that came along with. But, after all, it’s zombies. You’ll say I shouldn’t have been surprised.

All of the entries in th...more
Audrey
Zombies have been hot for the last few years, and this anthology showcases some of the latest works featuring teens in zombie scenarios. Many of the stories tell tales of post-apocalyptic zombie-infested zones. That isn’t all there is though: there is a story about a living dead boy who is made that way through magic, the faithful servants of a dead king who rise again when called upon, and the psychological changes that undergo a person who is pretending to be a zombie. Usually horrifying, ofte...more
Chad Brown
My favorite story in this collection was "The Barrow Maid" by Christine Morgan. Not only does the author do an excellent job of incorporating the zombie motif into the world of the Vikings, but she also makes it read like a Norse saga especially through her use of alliteration. Too bad there aren't more stories like this out there.

Other noteworthy stories are "Family Business" by Jonathan Maberry (although ending is predictable), "Seven Brains, Ten Minutes" by Marie Atkins, and "The Third Dead...more
melissa
This was a bit disappointing. I was really hoping for a new story from Jonathan Maberry; however, what is included here is the first several chapters of Rot & Ruin.

This anthology was really hit or miss for me. The only real highlight was The Barrow Maid by Christine Morgan that was interesting tale involving zombie Vikings.

I couldn't finish You'll Never Walk Alone (writing style "back woods country bumpkin" was terribly annoying) and Deepwater Miracle (simply wasn't interested as soon as I s...more
Andrea Blythe
This anthology is a compilation "young adult" stories of the undead. There are many kinds of stories here -- some apocalyptic, some not. There are several stories about survivors against the horde, and several about young people who either by choice or accident join the horde (there's an interesting theme of community in such stories, of loneliness and the need to be part of a group, even if the group is the dead). And many varieties of story in between. Here are a few that stuck with me:

This is...more
Kara
Jun 10, 2012 Kara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys zombie stories!
This is a good collection of stories about zombies! All of them made me look at zombies in a new light! The main problem is: How many times can you keep reading about zombies? Well, if you like zombies like I do--a lot! Sadly, some of the stories are just "okay" and drag on a little bit. I also feel like the first story of the collection is the best of the book so some of the others are a little bit of a let down in comparison. Overall, interesting stories! I enjoyed reading it but I probably wo...more
Michelle Ehrich
I received a copy of this book from Goodreads for free through the first reads program.

Overall, I was not impressed by the stories in this book. It's not that any of them are bad, but there wasn't anything exceptional about them either. I also question whether at least one of them is YA appropriate.

The exception to this is Jonathan Maberry's "Family Business," which was a fantastic read. However, it is supposed to be the beginning of the first novel of a series, so I wish I had read that instea...more
Rachelle
This is a collection of 11 popular zombie stories from the past 20 years. I won it in a First Reads contest, right on this site! The stand-out story to me is Jonathan Maberry's "Family Business," in which 15-year old Benny Imura, living in a world of zombies and forced to get a job, learns about compassion, respect, and saying goodbye. It was unexpectedly moving and makes you think about zombies differently.
Sarah Wilson
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I didn't enjoy most of the stories. I liked "Family Business" by Jonathan Maberry best out of this collection. I would rate that story 3 stars. The rest of the stories I would give one or two stars. They weren't poorly written, they just weren't my thing.
TemperanceRiver
Won this in a Goodreads contest. With books like this, I tend to skip around but still end up reading the whole thing. I think my favorite was The Barrow Maid. It was so different from other zombie stories that it really drew me in. I recommend this book, it's entertaining and a very quick read.
Heather
There were only about three stories from the book that I enjoyed. Other ones were simply not for me, but all the authors are amazing. This was the first book that contained stories about zombies that I've read and it has opened my eyes to finding more books by some of these authors and more.
Kilgallen
Overall this was a good collection of zombie stories centered around younger characters. All the stories fit the parameters of the anthology well. I really liked "Family Business" by Jonathan Maberry and "Deepwater Miracle" by Thomas S. Roche. Well worth the read.
Kristy
Just received my copy through Goodreads First Reads, and I'm so excited! With authors like Catherynne Valente and Jonathan Maberry contributing, I know this is going to be excellent. I know it'll catch the eye of my middle-schoolers. Thanks so much!
Wt
Mar 11, 2012 Wt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: zombie apocalypse enthusiasts
Recommended to Wt by: Goodreads
Enjoyed some of the stories - others were a little hard to get through. Overall, this is a good anthology of zombie tales and you won't find a more diverse collection of undead stories! Read and be warned - the dead are not just mindless husks!
Jesse Kimmel-Freeman
while i understand the motivation behind including the story about the zombie hooker i don't think it was a good fit with the other stories. otherwise i loved this book. kept me looking over my shoulder for the zombie in the closet!
Anne
The first story, also the longest, was excellent!!! I highly recommend it. The others were all so-so. Many of them I started but didn't finish. None of them were memorable or all that enjoyable, to me.
Caridad cruz
i really enjoyed the majority of these stories, there were 1 or 2 that were not all that good, the book made up for it because almost all the stories were good!
Jeffrey Newman
Most of the stories were pretty good. The book made for a fast read. I would recommend this book for those who are just getting into the "Zombie" craze.
Jenny D.
The first story was the best...the Kelly Link story is great but I'd already read it. Finished this in a night!
Elizabeth
Full of great stories, the best being The Barrow Maid, a tale of Norse legend now with zombies and a beautiful heroine.
Richard
Really enjoyed this one. Had a few of my favorites and a lot I've never read before.
Eric Brown
Extremely strong collection of stories;
Joe Peterson
Joe Peterson marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Danelle
Danelle marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014