Start by marking “Passage of Tears” as Want to Read:
Passage of Tears

Passage of Tears

liked it 3.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  22 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Djibouti, a hot, impoverished little country on the Horn of Africa, is a place of great strategic importance, for off its coast lies a crucial passage for the world’s oil. In this novel by Abdourahman A. Waberi, Djibril, a young Djiboutian voluntarily exiled in Montreal, returns to his native land to prepare a report for an American economic intelligence firm. Meanwhile, a ...more
Published February 15th 2012 by Seagull Books (first published August 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Passage of Tears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passage of Tears

Ronald Morton
Feb 24, 2016 Ronald Morton rated it liked it
I found this overall to be disappointing.

I thought, at a minimum, that I'd get a decent picture of Djibouti - it's pretty uncommon to come across a book set in Djibouti by a Djibouti-born author. But I never actually felt like I was reading about a place. It was as if the book could be set anywhere, with Djiboutian signposts and city names scotch taped to the walls. It just never felt real. So, one of the main reasons I read this book didn't really go anywhere, but maybe I just was looking for t
Damien Travel
Dec 20, 2015 Damien Travel rated it it was amazing
I read the book as I was coming back to Djibouti for the first time almost 20 years after having lived there for two years. The book offered me a striking parallel. Djibril, born and raised in Djibouti, made his life in Canada and the US. After a long absence, he comes back to his childhood country for an intelligence mission. He gradually leaves his mission’s tracks and is confronted with echoes and wounds from his childhood.
Like him, I was returning briefly to one of my youth’s cherished pla
David Smith
Jun 07, 2012 David Smith rated it it was ok
I was expecting too much from this book and it did not meet expectations. Nonetheless, there aren't many books by novelists from Djibouti floating around so no regrets. I have a second novel by Waberi on the shelf, so he'll get another chance in the not-too-distant future.
Rolando Duran
Bab el-Mandel - la puerta de las lágrimas - es el estrecho que separa la Península Arábiga de África y que conecta el mar Rojo con el Golfo de Aden, en el Océano Índico. Se dice que el nombre viene de una leyenda árabe sobre el gran terremoto que separó África y Asia. Djibouti, un país muy pequeño pero de un valor geopolítico inmenso, para el control de esa angosta puerta de mar.

Esta novela me ha hecho pasar por muchos sitios que conocí, en este país misterioso, caliente y acogedor. Llena de po
Alice
Jan 01, 2015 Alice rated it did not like it
I just plain didn't like this book. I can't really say why - but I started skipping whole passages, and realized that if I didn't care at all about how it ended by page 150,I never would - so why bother finishing?
Joseph
Oct 14, 2012 Joseph rated it really liked it
Technically brilliant, with only a few clunkers likely attributable to the translation. Not sure what the Angel of History would make of it, though.
Ruth
Apr 11, 2012 Ruth rated it liked it
A high 3. Brief, transporting, mysterious but with a predictable twist. The ending was perfect.
Cassandra
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Ishita
Ishita marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Mhine Gean
Mhine Gean marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Rashana Prasad
Rashana Prasad marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Anna
Anna added it
Feb 15, 2016
Tawny
Tawny marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Connor
Connor rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2016
Erin Mikulec
Erin Mikulec marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Amanda Wahlmeier
Amanda Wahlmeier marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Aisha
Aisha marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Adam Di Filippe
Adam Di Filippe rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Rami Tannous
Rami Tannous marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Yasir Husain
Yasir Husain marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Phindile
Phindile marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Mayuri
Mayuri rated it it was ok
Sep 03, 2015
Jayan Parameswaran
Jayan Parameswaran rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2015
Dennis
Dennis rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016