Start by marking “As the Pig Turns (Agatha Raisin, #22)” as Want to Read:
As the Pig Turns (Agatha Raisin, #22)
read excerpt* *Different edition

As the Pig Turns (Agatha Raisin #22)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  2,127 ratings  ·  323 reviews

Winter Parva is a “picturesque” (touristy) Cotswold village with gift shops, a medieval market hall, and thatched cottages. After a disappointing Christmas season, the parish council has decided to hold a special event in January, complete with old-fashioned costumes, morris dancing, and a pig roast on the village green.

Always one for a good roasting, Agatha Raisin organi

Published October 11th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about As the Pig Turns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As the Pig Turns

Annette
What a terrible shame.What once was a brilliantly executed set of funny , believable and well written stories has finally come to an end.I say this because the last few novels in the series have just been utter rubbish .Sorry to those that still think they are brilliant but in my honest opinion they have lost all what made them good .

Ive read every single one of MC Beatons Agatha Raisin series and they have got progressively worse and this one is no exception.

A thrown together plot that lost its
Cynthia K
Although I am a big fan of British mysteries, I had not read any of the novels featuring Agatha Raisin. Jumping into the series at the 22nd installment colored my opinion of the book. I should note that the reason I am encountering this author/character for the first is that I won a copy of this book from a Goodreads giveaway.

It was a good story, but I was distracted by trying to keep up with the characters. In addition to the suspects and those people associated with the killers, I had to sort
Nancy
I am convinced that MC Beaton does not use a plotting outline when she sits down to writer her books in the Agatha Raisin series. Any book that begins with Mrs. Bloxby convinced that her husband is having an affair, an idea that is never revisited, and ends with the Bulgarian mafia, leaves the reader wondering if there is any pre-thought or just the ramblings of a bored writer.

The Agatha Raisin series is one that I revisit often since there is no deep thought needed to get through them. The same
Kwoomac
After reading the blurb on the back of the book, I thought I was going to just love this character: "Agatha (Raisin) is like Miss Marple with a drinking problem, a pack-a-day habit, and major man lust." The protagonist, Agatha Raisin, is a 50-something detective working in an English village. It turns out she's not as spunky as I was expecting and she's not really a terribly clever detective. (view spoiler) ...more
Mayda
Agatha Raisin is at it again in this newest installment of M. C. Beaton’s wonderful series. Poor Agatha never seems to be in the right place at the right time. Either she is miserable because she is alone and lonely, or she is literally falling over dead bodies in public places. Agatha is good soul at heart, even though she sometimes fails to do the right thing. But watching her get in and out of scrapes is half the fun of reading an Agatha Raisin mystery, and the other half is seeing if you can ...more
Claude
Quite enjoyable. However I'm wondering. Wasn't Simon an orphan in one of the previous installments? Well, in As The Pig Turns both his parents were suddenly alive again. Sloppy plotting?
Ellie
As The Pig Turns by M.C. Beaton is the 22nd entry in Beaton's Agatha Raisin series. I love Beaton, I love Agatha (curmudgeonly though she is) and I loved this book.

The pig turning on a spit turns out be a dead policeman, hated by all who knew him, including Agatha whom he had recently fine for taking her hands off the wheel of her car (parked) to blow her nose. The book has a great deal more plot than many of Beaton's books and I found it exciting and fun. I enjoyed all the members of Agatha's d
Kathy
I love love love the Agatha Raisin series by M.C. Beaton. There is no better way to while away an afternoon than with Agatha Raisin. Agatha is a loud, brash, overwhelming but endearing middle aged British woman who happens to constantly stumble across murders and mysteries. She lives in the quiet bucolic Cotswold area in a lovely cottage with her two pet cats...who really do love her. She has stumbled across and solved so many mysteries that she opened up her own detective agency.

Agatha thinks s
Nancy
I won As the Pig Turns in a goodreads giveaway and was excited about my introduction to a "New York Times Bestselling" mystery author. Maybe the that tag line raised my hopes too high.

This book is populated with plenty of "characters" and is fast paced with lots of twists and turns. Unfortunately the scenes felt thrown together and the story lacked the thread of truth that makes a work of fiction enjoyable. There was no character I could like or root for.

Perhaps this is a series that only wor
John Frankham
How could I have allowed myself to read another of these absurd books: badly written, poor characterization of caricatured stock personnel, lazy repetitive plots, unlikeable heroine. But I know I'll probably read another. Why?
Gregandemy
Won this on Goodread's first reads giveaways!

So not my kind of book. I don't really enjoy these chick-lit mysteries to begin with and this one fit right into that category. Crazy plot, unlikeable characters, little suspense. I found Agatha Raisin to be overbearing, rude, and boy-crazy which is an odd characteristic in an older professional woman. There are some characters in the book that I never did figure out how they were connected to her, other then they kept showing up at her house. Must be
Jenny L
Read them! All of them. All 23. They are simply fabulous! I love them and love Agatha Raisin. The stories are set in the English Cotswolds - which is where I'm from, so that makes them extra special, but I cannot recommend them highly enough. If you want to read about an opinionated, outspoken, headstrong single woman in her middle years with no money worries, but men worries and murder at every turn, then you too will love Agatha Raisin. Just make sure you buy more than one at a time, because y ...more
Gail
I won this book in a First Reads free giveaway. They sent such a lovely note with the book when I received it 2 days ago. First time I received a note with one of my wins. I really appreciated that. Thanks. They also recommended a website that I need to check out...www.agatharaisin.com Can't wait to read the book!
It was a good thing I got this book for free. I was very disappointed in it. It is nothing like the other mysteries I like to read. This book was really strange and uninteresting.
Kathy
Agatha Raisin continues to be one of my favorite cozy mystery lead characters. From her brash habit of saying just what she thinks and solving murders when the police are clueless to her unlucky obsessions with men who let her down, Agatha is a force that one would be wise to have in his/her corner. M.C. Beaton has kept this series fresh and entertaining throughout, and those of us who love Agatha can't wait to see what hot water she immerses herself into next.
MiniSagas
Wendy
I won this book on Goodreads giveaways. The best part about mystery books for me is trying to figure out who did it as the book goes along, but in this book they give you no clues as to who may have done it and why. I also found myself lost on fallowing the story at times. That is way I would have to say this is not one of my favorite mystery books. Maybe, since this is #22 in the series I need to start at number one.
Jessie
This was not the best Agatha Raisin book by far. At times it felt as if the author was "phoning it in." Many of the occurrances were just not plausible. There were too many subplots which add little or nothing to the series as a whole. The ending felt as if the author said "Oops! I'm on page 300. Better wrap this up!" There were unresolved loose ends. The last chapter feels like the first chapter of the next book.
Millie Taylor
This is the first Agatha Raisin book I have read. I usually like "cozy" books, but was very disappointed in M.C. Beaton's writing. I find Agatha a throughly unlikable person with no redeeming qualitites. Likewise, I did not find anything interesting about any of her staff or so-called friends. And there was little or no description of the police force. Will not read any more of her books.
Sallee
Agatha Raisin visits a nearby village to go to a pig roast. It was a foggy evening but Agatha noticed the "pig" had a tattoo with the name, Amy. She screams stop and they find out the "pig" is actually the mutilated body of a local policeman who had irritated lots of people for giving tickets for everything. He had given Agatha one for blowing her nose while stopped in a line of traffic because she took her hands off the wheel. His ex-wife asks Agatha to investigate. When she is murdered, thing ...more
Peggy
#22 in the Agatha Raisin series, one of the few books I can read in a day. Very light, but funny and somehow you have sympathy for Agatha in spite of her rudeness, and lack of growth and self-awareness. The plot of this one is a little convoluted, but all the familiar secondary characters are present and accounted for.
Entertaining light reading, enjoyable as always. Agatha Raisin is an awful bitch, but so likeable. However, I noticed several mistakes and discrepancies in this novel: I'm rather surprised Mrs Beaton/Cheyney's publisher didn't get them corrected before printing.
Una Tiers
More ghoulish than the series has been, As the Pig turns disappointed me. The plot was slow and indecisive. Still what little we saw of the regulars kept me reading to the end.
Dichotomy Girl
I either need to accept the fact that the characters in these books are never going to change or evolve, or I NEED TO STOP READING THEM!
Dagny
Probably actually 3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed it, but it seemed there were just too many unlikable side characters for my taste.
Kendra
Sep 23, 2011 Kendra marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just won this on Goodreads First Reads giveaways! My cup runneth over :)
Virginia
Definitely humorous and keeps you guessing
Paul Graham
I have really enjoyed the Agatha Raisin dramatizations, and so I turned to the books for a more full experience. However, I found this particular book to be lacking. The dynamic with Toni and Paul was simply odd...more awkwardly tossed into the plot than carefully considered. Toni's reactions to employees was an over dramatization, like a teenager not getting what she wanted. As well, the idea that so many Detective agencies could exist in the area was a bit of stretch. Overall, I thought it was ...more
Lisa
Another enjoyable visit from Agatha Raisin. I enjoy how Beaton writes these Raisin novels...similar themes but not a cookie-cutter series at all. Agatha is semi-predictable, in her own way, but then again, she throws the reader a curve every once in a while, as is her whim. This book seemed shorter than others, but still a lively story with subplots that come together in the end. Raisin is always living dangerously...and it seems to get to her in this book a bit. Understandably so,what with how ...more
An Odd1
Cotswold village detective agency owner Agatha Raisin threatens to kill Gary Beech, hated bully "so many wanted him dead" p52, first suspect when she spies Amy tattooed on his body stitched onto hog head roasting on spit at nearby community event. (Idea is creative, but visualizing corpse creepy, dropped my rating.) His ex-wife Amy, surgically beautified, hires Agatha(view spoiler). As when reading Agatha Christie, I prefer when the solution is based ...more
Vicky (Books, Biscuits, and Tea)
Original review: http://www.booksbiscuitsandtea.com/20...

The Agatha Raisin series was recommended to me by many of my bookish friends, so naturally, I had to find out what the hype was about. When I first read the synopsis, I was expecting something along the lines of a modern day Miss Marple or the female version of Sherlock Holmes, but that's where I was wrong. M.C. Beaton's series, in fact, is quite different from both Doyle's and Christie's novels. Did I still enjoy it? I would say yes.

To be
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter, #4)
  • Hasty Death
  • Gone West (Daisy Dalrymple, #20)
  • Naughty in Nice (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #5)
  • A Killer's Christmas in Wales (Penny Brannigan Mystery #3)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...
The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1) Death Of A Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1) The Vicious Vet: An Agatha Raisin Mystery (Agatha Raisin, #2) Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2) Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)

“Clever plastic surgery can restore an appearance of youth, but nothing changes the expression of age and experience in the eyes.” 17 likes