Start by marking “Who Took the Farmer's Hat?” as Want to Read:
Who Took the Farmer's Hat?

Who Took the Farmer's Hat?

The farmer had a hat, an old brown hat.
Oh, how her liked that old brown hat!

But then the wind came, and blew the hat away. And as fast as the farmer ran, the wind raced even faster. So the farmer went looking. Neither squirrel, nor Mouse, nor Duck, nor any of the other animals has seen the hat--though they had seen some pretty strange things. Would the farmer ever find his
Published July 15th 1988 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Who Took the Farmer's Hat?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Took the Farmer's Hat?

midnightfaerie
Jul 23, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
We got a themed box of books from the library about Farms and this was one of the books. A cute book about a farmer who loses his hat to the wind. Many animals see the hat but mistake it for other things. It finally ends up as a nest for a bird who lays eggs in it, and the farmer is too tender-hearted to take it back. Fun pictures with a sense a mischief, all my children enjoyed this one.
Vivian
Aug 25, 2016 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
If you're presenting this to a story time crowd, make sure you are familiar with the elements before you begin. Why? Because you just might decide to have the entire crowd trail along after you "looking for the farmer's hat". Which is just what we did in the first of this week's three story times. Why? We had a lot of very young children who needed help with focusing.

This story would also translate well to a FLANNEL BOARD presentation. You'll need a SQUIRREL, a MOUSE, a FLY, a GOAT, a DUCK, a re
Taylor Miller
Oct 09, 2016 Taylor Miller rated it really liked it
"Who Took the Farmer's Hat" is a fun read aloud book. With the silly story line, the kids will find humor and stay engaged throughout the book. The illustrations will be key when reading this book to see if the kids are truly staying engaged. While you are reading, you could ask the kids to put their finger on their nose, or something of that nature, if they see the missing hat and use that at the end to explain or ask questions about what really happened during the story.
Hayley Swanson
Dec 01, 2013 Hayley Swanson rated it liked it
The farmer loves his old hat, but it gets blown away by the wind, and now he can't find it! He asks the animals if they've seen it, and they have, but they mistook it for something else. Eventually the farmer finds his hat trapped in a tree, where a bird has made a nest out of it. Despite how he loves his hat, he realizes the bird needs it more, and buys himself a new one.

I read from this book in my early literacy class as we were doing an exercise on reading aloud. My pacing was evidently very
Slytano
Aug 15, 2013 Slytano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find it a bit disquieting when humans and animals speak freely to one another without the trace of surprise. This farmer just walks around asking animals if they have seen his hat. They all say, “no.” If I wrote this book, the farmer would at least scratch his head and mutter something along the lines of, “A talking goat? Hmmm…” Or, there might be a page where he visits an otolaryngologist and exclaims that he is “hearing things.”

But no. This farmer is so obsessed with his brown hat that he ig
Melanie
The farmer has an old brown hat. He loves this old brown hat. One day the wind takes it away and he cant' find it. He asks squirrel if he's seen his hat. Nope, but he has seen a old round bird with no wings. Then farmer asks mouse. Nope, but Mouse has seen an old round, brown mousehole that moved when Mouse tried to crawl in.

And so it goes, Farmer asks different animals if they've seen his hat. None have, but they've seen something else (which is always the hat seen as something else). In the en
Madison
Sep 03, 2016 Madison rated it really liked it
This little old farmer cannot find his hat. However, I loved how when he finally did, instead of getting upset he accepted the fact that someone else needed it more than he did. This book has a great story to it, yet I would like to see more graphic pictures. Other than that, this classic book is a great read.
Linda
My almost four year old granddaughter chose this at the library. The copyright is 1963, and the story fit her well. It's another book that repeats, and the anticipation/prediction aspect is the highlight of the book. The illustrations are simple drawings, look as if they've been done with colored pencils. The farmer had a favorite old brown hat, but one day the wind took it, and he went looking. Who he asks and what he discovers is the delight of the book, and the ending shows a kindness ...more
Lavinia
Mar 29, 2013 Lavinia rated it it was amazing
THe book was about a farmer and he lost his hat because the wind took it off his head and took it away. Then the squirrel saw the wind carrying it, and thought it was a bird with no wings. Then a mouse found it, and thought it was a hole, but then in blew away. Then a goat saw it and thought it was a pot, but then the bird took it away. Then the bird saw it and thought it was a nest, and used it as a real nest. Then the farmer got a new brown hat.

I liked this book a lot.
Sheniqua
A farmer has lost his favorite brown hat! He is on a quest to find it and begins asking all the animals have they seen it. In the end, the farmer finds that his hat has become a nest for Bird and her eggs and he buys himself another brown hat. This book contains wonderful illustrations and would be a great read aloud to discuss animals and their characteristics and habitats for second and third graders.
Sarah Adamson
This is quite a fun and gentle book for kids about a farmer who loses his old brown hat. He travels about the farm asking all the creatures if they have seen it. They haven't seen his hat but they have all seen something different that the farmer and maybe the kids can identify as the hat. Great exploration of how we all see the world differently for older kids. Fun for storytime I hope!
Mandy
Dec 26, 2012 Mandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The farmer's old brown hat gets carried off by the wind. He then asks the animals on the farm if they've seen it, but most haven't seen anything called "a hat."

A teacher could name other objects a farmer or zookeeper could have lost and have students name/list what they believe the animals would think it is.
Emily Levings
Aug 13, 2016 Emily Levings rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-t-l-2368
Nodset, J. & Siebel, F. (1963). Who Took the Farmer's Hat?. NY: Harper & Row.

This is a great book for children just starting to read, so this would be appropriate for ages 3-5. This book would help children start to read because the words aren't to difficult, but it would still help widen a child's vocabulary. I thought this was a very cute book, and I enjoyed reading it.
Rehema Payne
Jun 18, 2013 Rehema Payne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: helping
This book can be encouraging to kids to be confident in the way that they describe the world around them. Every child views the world differently like the animals in this book. I would use this book during a lesson plan about nature and how trees, leaves, etc can be viewed differently by different children.
Maria
Sep 09, 2010 Maria rated it it was amazing
We've read this so many times to the point we returned it and you asked me to request it again from the library! You like pointing out that what the animals describe is not true that it's really the farmer's hat. You also like when the farmer cups his hands around his mouth to yell out onto the pond so the duck can hear him. You like for me to imitate that when I read it.
David Ward
Who Took the Farmer’s Hat? by Joan L. Nodset (Harper Collins 1988)(Fiction - Children's). “The farmer had a hat – an old brown hat- and oh how he loved that old brown hat. But the wind took it, and away it went.” So begins an outstanding kid’s book. This was one that my oldest son Andrew memorized and could narrate when he was three. My rating: 10/10, finished 1998.
Robin
Mar 14, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it
Though none of the animals recalls seeing the farmer's hat, each has seen some different brown thing. The mouse recalls seeing a large round mouse hole, the squirrel saw a fat brown bird, and so on. Finally the farmer discovers his hat being used as a bird's nest . . . with an egg in it. So he gets a brown hat!
Miss Sarah
Jan 28, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hats, wind, farmers
the pictures are a little dated but a solid story about a farmer whose hat blows away and he asks each animal if they've seen it. Each animal has not seen the hat but has seen something that looks like it.
Kayla
Jun 18, 2013 Kayla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: birth-5-class
This book has great pictures and I like how the animals can talk to the farmer. They don't seem to know what a hat is but they all have a different answer as to what they thought the hat was. Very cute story and I can picture reading this to a class or as a bedtime story.
Alida
Jun 16, 2010 Alida rated it it was amazing
I believe that old children's books have very quaint and charming illustrations, and sometimes they are paired with messages that are worth keeping. This book emphasis' on adapting to mother nature instead of mother nature adapting to us is a message that I like to pass to future generations.
Hope
The farmer is going on a quest throughout the book to find his hat and meets animals. The sequencing of his journey allows students to recite each event, draw or them down in order.
Teacher can ask:
What happened next?
What animal did he meet next?
Amy Olson
Apr 01, 2011 Amy Olson rated it really liked it
Did you see my old brown hat? This book has a cute repetitive line where students can participate by reading and anticipating the line. A text to self connection for students can be have you ever lost something? How did you find it? This book can also prompt a writers workshop!
Monalisa Johnson-brown
The farmer lost his brown hat. The wind blew it away. He went around the farm asking the animals if they had seen his hat. He finally saw the bird who made a nest in his hat, the farmer decided to let the bird keep the hat and decided to buy a new one.
Debby Baumgartner
Farmer lost his old brown hat. He goes in search of his hat but each animal describes the hat in terms of what their world would see it as.
Ebony Hargett
Apr 08, 2011 Ebony Hargett rated it really liked it
This is a cute story for early elementary level students. I would use this book to teach sequencing for math or ordinal numbers. The illustrations are great for children and easy to understand.
Irina
Feb 12, 2016 Irina rated it liked it
This is a great book to read and to predict each event in the story. The students can try predicting where the hat will end up next and who actually took the hat.
Kristen
Feb 06, 2013 Kristen rated it really liked it
Definitely a fun story time book. After every page I'd ask the kids, "Is that (whatever the animal thought it was)?" They loved saying, "No! It's a hat!" And I love the ending. Just perfect.
Andy
Another cute Down on the Farm book, but with dated (1963) artwork. Might be good for storytime, but the book is small in size, probably hard for large groups to see.
Emily Augustus --Louisville KY
Mar 13, 2013 Emily Augustus --Louisville KY rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
My students love the different ways the animals use the hats. It's a goo book for farm theme to discuss various animals.
Deborah Harris
  • Mrs. Wishy-Washy
  • Hello, Day!
  • Eyes, Nose, Fingers, and Toes
  • The Clock Struck One: A Time-Telling Tale
  • Good-Night, Owl!
  • I Face the Wind