Start by marking “Confessions Of An Actor” as Want to Read:
Confessions Of An Actor

Confessions Of An Actor

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Laurence Olivier was a true legend. No classical actor had ever been such a dazzling star. No star had been such a magnificent actor. In this marvellous autobiography Laurence Olivier tells his own story: his brilliant career as actor, director, film-maker and producer; his role as husband to three women including Vivien Leigh and Joan Plowright; and his many friendships - ...more
Paperback
Published November 3rd 1994 by Orion (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions Of An Actor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions Of An Actor

Joy H.
Added 9/29/13.

This book was very readable because Olivier seems to be talking directly to the reader. It was interesting getting his perspective of the theater world. He mentions the many classic plays he acted in, so many of which I had never even heard of. His interactions with the theater world and the film world made interesting reading. Of course there were people I had heard of but there were also many names that were new to me.

He tells about the period in his life when he suffered from "s
Alexander Arsov
Laurence Olivier

Confessions of an Actor

Weidenfeld & Nicholson, Hardback, [1982].

8vo. xii+305 pp. Appendices, Chronology, Index [pp. 262-305]. 48 pages with black-and-white photographs.

Contents

Part Three
11. Sea Changes
12. The Start of
Joe
"We had never before been made to face the extent to which our lives together had been supported and bolstered up by the companionship of our friends and the glitter of our position."

The heart of this book is the rise and fall of the marriage of Laurence and Vivien Leigh. From Leigh's falling out of love, manic depression, nervous breakdowns, and ultimately to shock treatment.

He's worked beside so many Hollywood legends; made me wish he could shed more light on them than simply the word "lov
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1984:]. Olivier's autobiography is full of satisfying detail and even more satisfying name-dropping. Instead of adopting the usual self-justificatory tone, he inverts it to one of deep humility - a rather self-conscious humility, at that: no doubt the consequence of growing up a minister's son. If there is one habit he has that really irks me, it's that of adding "ie" on to everyone's name - "Ralphie," "Willie Walton," "Noelie." The two real standouts from thais rule ar ...more
Nicci
This book does not give much away about his 'preferences' because it is an autobiography so for potential PR reasons some things may not have been written about and understandably so. I read this book more to learn about his side of stories of him working with Marilyn in my all time favourite Marilyn Monroe film The Prince and the Showgirl and to get a more detailed description of vivien leigh's struggle with her mental health. This book was very interesting. More detail on his time with these l ...more
Bichejo
El libro está bien. He echado de menos algo más de concreción en las fechas.

La edición española (Torres de papel) es terrible.
Crystal
Liz
This book was enlightening to me. I had for some reason always assumed that Laurence Olivier was more like the characters he acted in his movies and plays -- dark, brooding, moody types. But it turns out he was quite the opposite. He enjoyed playing pranks and trying to get his fellow actors to laugh in the middle of a play. His writing also shows a sense of humor.
Anastasia
It's far from being the best autobiography ever - at times it felt like a listing of the stage plays he was in; but there's also some interesting information in it, so I'd recommend it to Laurence Olivier-fans nonetheless.
Jessica Barkl
Uhhhh....this book is Fabulous, with a capital "F". For all of you out there who love a trashy novel about someone real: this is your hot ticket. Loved it!
M.C.
Some extremely minor details clouded the revelations that varied in significance but also revealed the author/actor's great intelligence.
Emily
I read this mainly to get Olivier's perspective on Vivien Leigh. It was good though, for being autobiographical.
Sara
This book made Olivier feel like an old friend. I appreciated his emotional honesty and intimacy in the writing.
Mary
Very sweet autobiography that is also insightful about one of the greatest actors ever acting methods.
J. D.
An entertaining and enlightening view of a great actor's life. I found the self-deprecating humor soothing.
Charlotte Smith
Stunningly written, witty and thought provoking.
Juanita
A little bit pedantic, but still interesting.
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Nic
Nic marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Annchen
Annchen marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Elise
Elise added it
Nov 03, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
  • Lana: The Lady the Legend the Truth
  • Swanson on Swanson
  • The Big Picture: Who Killed Hollywood? and Other Essays
  • Doris Day: Her Own Story
  • Evenings with Cary Grant: Recollections in His Own Words and by Those Who Knew Him Best
  • Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit
  • Blessings in Disguise
  • Don't Shoot, It's Only Me: Bob Hope's Comedy History of the United States
  • Bogart: In Search of My Father
  • The Making of The African Queen, or: How I went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall and Huston and almost lost my mind
  • The Wendy Williams Experience
  • This 'n That
  • Pimps, Hos, Playa Hatas, and All the Rest of My Hollywood Friends
  • Haywire
  • Vivian Leigh
  • Still Talking
  • Marlene Dietrich by Her Daughter
  • A Life of Barbara Stanwyck: Steel-True 1907-1940
On Acting Confessioni di un peccatore 23 Favorite Psalms: King James Version The Bible: 36 Biblical Stories & Psalms [With "Guide to the Bible"-80 Pages] 36 Stories: 23 Psalms