Start by marking “No Language But a Cry” as Want to Read:
No Language But a Cry

No Language But a Cry

True story of Dr. D'Ambrosio's struggle to help a battered child who has never spoken a word because of the physical abuse inflicted by her parents.
Paperback, Laurel-Leaf Library, 320 pages
Published October 15th 1971 by Laurel (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about No Language But a Cry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Language But a Cry

Sue
Nov 01, 2011 Sue rated it liked it
This book was written in 1970. I remember hearing about it way back then but I never read it until now. The child, Laura, who is the subject of this book, suffered beatings and being burned alive in a frying pan at the hands of her parents while she was a baby. So hard to comprehend how anyone can hurt a sweet baby. Laura spent the next 11 years existing first in a hospital then in an institution for troubled girls, never speaking or interacting with anyone and being written off as hopeless. Dr. ...more
Elaine
Feb 05, 2009 Elaine rated it it was amazing
This book captured my attention from the very first chapter to the very last, I read it in the sixth grade. For me to read was very unusual because I never found a book that interested me enough to read past the first chapter.

It was a very heart wrenching story that I'll never forget, I wondered in amazement how a mother could be so cruel that she would harm her own child & do something so terrible that would forever change the life of this innocent victim. This was such a traumatic experie
Rebecca McNutt
Aug 10, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
This book was incredibly sad throughout, but it was very well-written and filled with hope for a girl's future.
Hafid
Oct 04, 2012 Hafid rated it it was amazing
Laura bent ṣġira ɛašet ḥyat ntaɛ mɛanya, ḍulm w ḥogra. Ɛanet f had el-denya qedd ma yɛani el-ɛessekri f el-ḥerb. El-ferq binathum huwa belli el-ɛessekri ɛla balu win rah w weš rahu mestennih.

Laura, ki kanet ġurnyana, mulat ɛamin, daruha waldiha fi meqla't zit ḥamya (sxuna). El-twaġ elli xrej men hadak el-fumm f hadik el-saɛa hewwel rwaḥ w ṭerreš el-wednin elli ma bġawš yssemɛu men qbel.

Waldin Laura kanu nas sukarjiya ɛendhum mašakil nefsiya tɛermet ḥetta wellaw mɛa el-weqt b ḥal el-wḥuš mɛa bent
Hafid
Mar 26, 2013 Hafid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Sandra Strange
Gripping and inspiring tribute to human survival--this memoir of a psychologist tells the story of a girl as an infant fried in a frying pan by abusive parents. Her trauma has left her to grow up not speaking, barely able to get around, raised by kind nuns in an orphanage. The nuns appeal to the psychologist to help the girl--and this book is his account of the girl's triumph over circumstances that should have kept her a victim, but instead make her an inspiring example. VERY positive.
Emily
Aug 13, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing
Kept me hooked from beginning to end. Beautifully written. Some of the psychologist's methods are outdated by today's treatment standards, however, he is still able to help a severely abused young girl living in a group home run by nuns.
Martha
Feb 17, 2008 Martha rated it it was amazing
Marye McIntyre
Nov 26, 2016 Marye McIntyre rated it it was amazing
It's a life changer on the dynamics of the old adage of the man feeling sorry for himself for having no shoes until he met up with the man who had no feet! Have read this book several times through the years!
Elaine Fisher
Feb 05, 2015 Elaine Fisher rated it really liked it
Laura is a child who was abused horribly as an infant and has been placed in an Institution with other seemingly abandoned children. At the age of twelve she still has yet to speak a word, and even though her case seems to be hopeless, the nuns of whom she is a charge, refuse to give up their faith in her.
A doctor who happens to be a psychiatrist is taken on a tour of the Institution by a friend of his, a social worker. After visiting all the children he decided that he wanted to work with Lau
Beverley
Jan 08, 2016 Beverley rated it it was amazing
I read this book as a preteen, then again several times as an adult. Its been many years since I read the book, yet it stays with me. It was my first encounter with horrific childhood abuse and what I pulled from the book was that there is hope. Hope that one can rise above the darkness of the past, if there is appropriate support and intervention. It also showed me that power of the human spirit as the young girl refused to let life defeat her and came through with such a solid loving spirit as ...more
Deborah
Oct 30, 2014 Deborah rated it really liked it
This 1970 book is a case study of an analyst working with a young girl who had been burned in a frying pan by her parents when she was about one year old. Both parents were mentally ill, and she ended up living in an institution in New York run by Catholic nuns. The analyst gets "volunteered" to at least visit the institution, and becomes fascinated by the case of this young mute girl, Laura. The story follows her therapy, recovery, and the faith, perseverance, and wiliness of the nuns in ...more
Catherine
Aug 05, 2015 Catherine rated it really liked it
While reading this, I though about how much has changed in the world since Laura was treated. A doctor smoking while treating his patient - one that is terrified of fire and matches really surprised me. This book shows the power we have to help our fellow human beings.

I loved the faith of the nuns and of D'Ambrosio. They never gave up.

While treatment for mental illnesses has gotten better, we still have a way to go.
Paige
Jan 25, 2011 Paige rated it really liked it
When I started this true story, it was sad to read about all that had happened to this little child so early in life. How could someone do this to another human being? As I read, there there was so much success and happiness and discovery that took place that you couldn't help but to be Laura's cheerleader and hope it would all turn out ok.
Jan
Jan 29, 2012 Jan rated it it was amazing
I was given this book in paperback form many years ago (like back in the 60's) from someone as a joke because of the similarity to my husband's name. It was a powerful book that has stayed with me all these years and involves child abuse in its worse form. I had nightmares for a few years after reading it and again after I had my children. The human capacity to hurt and maim are boundless.
Janine
May 17, 2011 Janine rated it really liked it
Read this in high school -- believe it or not, it was assigned reading in my class (1988). I've held onto the book all these years, but I haven't re-read it until now. All I can say is that I can't believe I wouldn't have remembered how gruesome the abuse is that this young girl suffered (It's a true account). Maybe because I am now a parent? I'm on chapter 6, I think.
Jodi
Aug 15, 2016 Jodi rated it it was amazing
When I started reading this, I thought it might be boring. But it was far from boring. I read it when I was in grade 7 or 8, and still remember how horrified I was by the idea of a parent trying to fry their baby in a frying pan... The story of the little girl's survival and psychological healing is really amazing.
Rebecca
Feb 22, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Words cannot describe how amazing this book is. It is a true story of a young girl who has endured horrific abuse from her parents and is written by the psychiatrist who treats her. This book is a truly riveting reading experience. I first read this book ten years ago and it has continued to be one of my favorites.
Sheila  Summerhays
Mar 17, 2011 Sheila Summerhays rated it it was amazing
I just read this for the third time. It was great all three times. I set my sights on caring for others each time I read it. It's a non-fiction story of a seriously abused child that returns to living as a result of caring people, most significantly the author.
Eastside
Dec 20, 2015 Eastside rated it it was amazing
Inspiration of what can be done with the human spirit if you never give up and admit defeat. What a great life story. Only far too bad there aren't more happy endings like this. It would be worth it.
Amy Rae
I read this thing a million years ago (okay, in high school), and I've been trying to figure out for years what the hell the title of it was. Now I have. So that's something, I guess.
Deanna
Jul 27, 2008 Deanna rated it it was amazing
Til this day, the book that I remember having the most profound impact on my ability to give a darn about other people.
Fishface
Jan 23, 2016 Fishface rated it liked it
Interesting portrait of life in a children's long-term mental hospital, and the author's experience working with a girl so traumatized she hadn't spoken in years at the time he met her.
Kate
Apr 13, 2011 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: 1993-to-1997
I can't remember when I read this, but the cover is very familiar, and the subject matter is something I would have read around this time.
Dray
Jan 29, 2012 Dray rated it really liked it
This made me cry in my Contemporary Lit class as a junior in high school. It was embarrassing.
But hey, the book is moving.
Didi
Didi rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2011
Erin Peat
Erin Peat rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2014
Maggie Mulryan
Maggie Mulryan rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Eileen
Eileen rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2011
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2011
  • A Circle of Children
  • P.S. Your Not Listening
  • Genie: A Scientific Tragedy
  • In the Shadow of the Moons: My Life in the Reverend Sun Myung Moon's Family
  • Karen
  • Strange Son
  • Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?
  • Turning Stones: My Days and Nights with Children at Risk
  • I Remember Running: The Year I Got Everything I Ever Wanted - and ALS
  • Children with Emerald Eyes: Histories of Extraordinary Boys and Girls
  • The Singing Creek Where the Willows Grow
  • The Road Not Taken: A History of Radical Social Work in the United States
  • On Their Own: What Happens to Kids When They Age Out of the Foster Care System
  • Unfaithful Angels: How Social Work Has Abandoned its Mission