Start by marking “Lobsters Scream When You Boil Them: And 100 Other Myths About Food and Cooking . . . Plus 25 Recipes to Get It Right Every Time” as Want to Read:

3.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Is the five-second rule for real? Will eating carrots improve your eyesight? Is your cookware a health hazard? Do spicy foods cool you down?

Has your grandmother been lying to you all these years?

No, no, no, no, and . . . probably. In this entertaining and informative reference guide, award-winning cookbook authors Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough take on more than one
Published (first published July 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Lobsters Scream When You Boil Them, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lobsters Scream When You Boil Them

Birgit
Sep 13, 2011 Birgit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time to fess up. I am not much of a cook. I may be capable of making delicious pasta with a nice salad, but that's about it. Yet I'm still not too old to maybe learn a thing or two, so when I had the chance to read Lobsters Scream When You Boil Them I took it.
Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough have once again stirred up a book in their kitchen, this time with an emphasis on all kinds of myths about food and cooking. No matter whether you're a seasoned cook, or more like myself, you will probabl
Karen
You can throw out that box of Arm & Hammer in your refrigerator.

I’m not much of a cook – but I love trivia. This hilarious and informative book by award-winning food writers Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough offers a ton of food-related trivia as they examine 101 common myths about food and cooking and either debunk or clarify them. And they do it with such an entertaining writing style that I went back and re-read it as soon as I finished just so I could laugh again.

I’d already figured o
Rebecca Schweitzer
Feb 04, 2012 Rebecca Schweitzer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
A quick, simple and funny read debunking 101 myths about food and cooking.

Some of the myths were obvious and oft proven wrong--like the five second rule and the notion that French women don't get fat. Others were a bit surprising. Apparently, you can refreeze meat (under certain circumstances).

Ultimately, the authors sought to give us all permission to have a bit more fun with food, to stop being afraid of the kitchen and to ignoring at that stuff snobby foodies say about the difference betwee
Brandy
Jul 18, 2011 Brandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, so I am not the type to sit and read a cookbook nor a book about food. The snazzy title of this book caught my eye so I decided to skim a few pages. Wow, was I amazed. Not only is this book funny as "Heck" I really found out some interesting things that I never knew before. I've recently resorted to the make-your-own-food-from-scratch thing since I decided to eatr healthier and save a few dollars. (I will admit, I am getting good at this whole Suzie Home Maker thing and now I have knowledge ...more
Sjcapanna
Sep 12, 2011 Sjcapanna rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
This book was recommended on the Weight Watchers website. In it, the authors, two chefs, debunk 101 commonly-held cooking myths. For example, "Baking soda absorbs refrigerator odors," and, "You should fill empty holes in a muffin tin with water." Many of the chapters include recipes that relate to the particular food myth being discussed.

The book was interesting, and a really nice change of pace for me. The chapters were short and stand-alone, so it was a good book to read in small chunks. Howe
Hairil
Jun 24, 2014 Hairil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice book laced with some witty and semi-sarcastic notes. A good read for those who wish to know about common food myths/tales; some of which are answered with the aid of scientific explanations, others from plain logic.
Emily
Dec 11, 2011 Emily rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I was very unimpressed with this book and it's lack of data for each "myth" it debunked. I felt like many sections had only a partial truth and important information was left out. I also felt like this book should have been a pamphlet as just a few of their sections were helpful but they added in 90% filler myths that aren't even common myths out there.

Linda
Apr 15, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book debunks myths we have all have heard through the generations. The authors give some scientific reasons for why certain things can or can't be true. This made me smile, occasionally laugh while being informative at the same time. The recipes sound tasty and healthy. A fun and easy read.
Denise
Aug 20, 2012 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun food facts! Oiling the water doesn't keep the pasta from sticking! You CAN lift the lid when cooking rice! And the authors will tell you why, almost to the point of TMI. But a fun book if you want food and science facts together.
Nell
Harold McGee has nothing to fear from this wisecracking duo. Though I did learn a few interesting tidbits, the smart-alecky tone got old, fast. We think of cooking as an art, but science is its underpinning.
Cynthia
Jan 23, 2012 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Fun, short segments, clear explanations. What put it up from 3 stars to 4 was really the recipes! The only thing I didn't like was the occasionally annoying banter, very conversational.
diane
Dec 01, 2012 diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun facts about the world of cooking! Most I knew, but it was fun to read where the myths came from and why. Good for anyone who likes to cook.
Tina
Feb 17, 2012 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
didn't try any of the recipes but enjoyed laughing about some of the stories about food.......author backed the myths up with scientific evidence
Alysia
Jun 20, 2012 Alysia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Out of the 100 myths, most were old news. There was a few bits of new information but nothing earth-shattering. This book was disappointing...
Shannon
Jun 22, 2012 Shannon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: polka-2012
I thought the myth-debunking was pretty entertaining.

The bawdy comments, not so much.
Jenni
Jan 10, 2012 Jenni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at how informative this book was. I'll never use a cold saute pan again.
Isabel
Jul 18, 2012 Isabel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a great book full of all kinds of 'food myths'. i loved it.
Natasha Small
Very insightful & intelligent read.
Shelly
Apr 23, 2013 Shelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book #27 for 2013
Terri FL
Terri FL marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
D
D marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Shin Shin
Shin Shin rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
Jhs4
Jhs4 rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Shanella
Shanella marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
Sparkle
Sparkle marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Jamie
Jamie added it
Feb 20, 2016
Tima
Tima marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough are QVC favorites with five sell-out appearances. They've appeared on everything from the Today show to corporate-sponsored events, making ice cream, gelati, sherberts, and sorbets. They're also experts on the desserts that pair with these frozen treats, having written bestselling brownie and cookie books and all-purpose cookbooks with desserts aplenty and count ...more
More about Bruce Weinstein...