Start by marking “Lobsters Scream When You Boil Them: And 100 Other Myths About Food and Cooking . . . Plus 25 Recipes to Get It Right Every Time” as Want to Read:

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Is the five-second rule for real? Will eating carrots improve your eyesight? Is your cookware a health hazard? Do spicy foods cool you down?

Has your grandmother been lying to you all these years?

No, no, no, no, and . . . probably. In this entertaining and informative reference guide, award-winning cookbook authors Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough take on more than one
Published (first published July 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Lobsters Scream When You Boil Them, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lobsters Scream When You Boil Them

Birgit
Time to fess up. I am not much of a cook. I may be capable of making delicious pasta with a nice salad, but that's about it. Yet I'm still not too old to maybe learn a thing or two, so when I had the chance to read Lobsters Scream When You Boil Them I took it.
Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough have once again stirred up a book in their kitchen, this time with an emphasis on all kinds of myths about food and cooking. No matter whether you're a seasoned cook, or more like myself, you will probabl
Karen
You can throw out that box of Arm & Hammer in your refrigerator.

I’m not much of a cook – but I love trivia. This hilarious and informative book by award-winning food writers Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough offers a ton of food-related trivia as they examine 101 common myths about food and cooking and either debunk or clarify them. And they do it with such an entertaining writing style that I went back and re-read it as soon as I finished just so I could laugh again.

I’d already figured o
Rebecca Schweitzer
A quick, simple and funny read debunking 101 myths about food and cooking.

Some of the myths were obvious and oft proven wrong--like the five second rule and the notion that French women don't get fat. Others were a bit surprising. Apparently, you can refreeze meat (under certain circumstances).

Ultimately, the authors sought to give us all permission to have a bit more fun with food, to stop being afraid of the kitchen and to ignoring at that stuff snobby foodies say about the difference betwee
Brandy
OK, so I am not the type to sit and read a cookbook nor a book about food. The snazzy title of this book caught my eye so I decided to skim a few pages. Wow, was I amazed. Not only is this book funny as "Heck" I really found out some interesting things that I never knew before. I've recently resorted to the make-your-own-food-from-scratch thing since I decided to eatr healthier and save a few dollars. (I will admit, I am getting good at this whole Suzie Home Maker thing and now I have knowledge ...more
Sjcapanna
This book was recommended on the Weight Watchers website. In it, the authors, two chefs, debunk 101 commonly-held cooking myths. For example, "Baking soda absorbs refrigerator odors," and, "You should fill empty holes in a muffin tin with water." Many of the chapters include recipes that relate to the particular food myth being discussed.

The book was interesting, and a really nice change of pace for me. The chapters were short and stand-alone, so it was a good book to read in small chunks. Howe
Hairil
A nice book laced with some witty and semi-sarcastic notes. A good read for those who wish to know about common food myths/tales; some of which are answered with the aid of scientific explanations, others from plain logic.
Emily
I was very unimpressed with this book and it's lack of data for each "myth" it debunked. I felt like many sections had only a partial truth and important information was left out. I also felt like this book should have been a pamphlet as just a few of their sections were helpful but they added in 90% filler myths that aren't even common myths out there.

Linda
This book debunks myths we have all have heard through the generations. The authors give some scientific reasons for why certain things can or can't be true. This made me smile, occasionally laugh while being informative at the same time. The recipes sound tasty and healthy. A fun and easy read.
Denise
Fun food facts! Oiling the water doesn't keep the pasta from sticking! You CAN lift the lid when cooking rice! And the authors will tell you why, almost to the point of TMI. But a fun book if you want food and science facts together.
Nell
Harold McGee has nothing to fear from this wisecracking duo. Though I did learn a few interesting tidbits, the smart-alecky tone got old, fast. We think of cooking as an art, but science is its underpinning.
Cynthia
Fun, short segments, clear explanations. What put it up from 3 stars to 4 was really the recipes! The only thing I didn't like was the occasionally annoying banter, very conversational.
Diane
Fun facts about the world of cooking! Most I knew, but it was fun to read where the myths came from and why. Good for anyone who likes to cook.
Tina
didn't try any of the recipes but enjoyed laughing about some of the stories about food.......author backed the myths up with scientific evidence
Alysia
Out of the 100 myths, most were old news. There was a few bits of new information but nothing earth-shattering. This book was disappointing...
Shannon
I thought the myth-debunking was pretty entertaining.

The bawdy comments, not so much.
Jenni
I was surprised at how informative this book was. I'll never use a cold saute pan again.
Isabel
this is a great book full of all kinds of 'food myths'. i loved it.
Natasha Small
Very insightful & intelligent read.
Jen
Jen added it
Jul 05, 2015
Katie
Katie added it
Jun 20, 2015
Malcolm Tessensohn
Malcolm Tessensohn marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
May 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Ultimate Ice Cream Book: Over 500 Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, Drinks, And More Real Food Has Curves: How to Get Off Processed Food, Lose Weight, and Love What You Eat Knits Men Want The Great American Slow Cooker Book: 500 Easy Recipes for Every Day and Every Size Machine Is It Still Cheating if I Don't Get Caught?