The Great Brain Does it Again (Great Brain #7)

The Great Brain Does it Again (The Great Brain #7)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,636 ratings  ·  26 reviews
"As entertaining as ever...readers will fall happily under The Great Brain's spell."--School Library Journal.
Published August 15th 1976 by Yearling (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Brain Does it Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Brain Does it Again

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Best Kids Books Ever
491st out of 609 books — 390 voters
Lady Crenshaw's Christmas by Heidi AshworthA Treasury of Royal Scandals by Michael Farquharدایی جان ناپلئون by ایرج پزشکزادA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonFinally by Wendy Mass
Funniest Books Ever Writtten
31st out of 64 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Rick Stuckwisch
This is probably my least favorite book in the series. There are some sweet and thoughtful parts to it, and it's not bad, but overall the tone is not as fun and lighthearted as the rest of the books. It seems more cynical, and Tom comes across more mean-spirited than he has previously. Makes me wonder what was happening in the lives of the Fitzgerald brothers at the point when this one was written. It was likely getting close to the end of John's life, and perhaps Tom had already died. In any ev...more
Dominick
This was hard to rate. It's an odd, interesting book. One tends to assume that this sort of series thing is going to be fairly light and generic, and I haven't read any of the earlier volumes so didn't much know what to expect. Furthermore, I usually find Mercer Mayer's art--though lovely and polished--a tad too saccharine.

However, this book is generally much better-written than the format might suggest. Fitzgerald uses a more complex vocabulary and style than one might expect. The book is still...more
Jennifer Oldroyd
Ahh-the last of the seven "Great Brain" books. Such a satisfying feeling to finish a series.
These books are not great children's literature, but are classics nonetheless. I loved reading these to my children!

My children's ratings:

10-year-old boy: 4 stars.
"It's so funny how he swindles everyone all the time and they all keep falling for it. It's a really funny book. Kids would like it."

8-year-old girl: 5 stars.
"I think the great brain is really really smart. I liked the books a lot."
Joe
The Great Brain books are a fun series set in the late 1800s about a boy who uses his brain to trick and swindle other kids as well as solve mysteries the adults can't. Great nostalgia.
Joshua H.
This book is incredibly entertaining, I loved how funny it was, I'd definitely recommend it, you'll laugh out loud from it, a great quick read
Tracy"loose"
oh the great brain
Melanie
T. D. Fitzgerald has to come up with fair ways to earn money these days, although they still seem to be a swindle. We have enjoyed this series very much and are ready to plow into the last book.
Jack Cheng
Kind of wondering why I'm still reading these. As with #6, Tom has "reformed" which means that it's the same old thing with a more cynical point of view. The capers are also kind of lame. Tom tries to get a fat kid to lose weight! The fat kid does not lose weight!

I'm curious to read the last in this series because it was finished after Fitzgerald's death.
Tyler
This one was okay. In book four Tom is in Salt Lake city and the new setting made the series fresh and exciting. The books since then are back in Adenville and it feels sort of like they are just parodying the earlier books in some ways. Still funny, just not as great since I've been reading all the other books before them.
Robb Christopherson
This is a series that I read as a kid and loved them. I am reading them with my kids now. They are fun and based in a Mormon town. If you're looking for literary quality, you should check elsewhere; they are well-written, just not the highest of quality. The stories, however, are very fun!
Katie
Although these books are probably 3rd grade level, I can never read them without laughing! They're very cute, and if you know anybody with elementary school kids who need a good book, I'd recommend any of the books in the series!
Ebookwormy
A great book for boys!

After being introduced to The Great Brain by a teacher reading it in class, I read this entire series a few times as a middle schooler. The stories are wonderfully funny.

Anthony Ventrello
Although this is the "official" last book in the series, it is one of the best. After finishing it makes you wish there was more to come.
Mary Ann
This is the last book, and they were delightful to read. It was so great to revisit Adenville for a while and forget about my modern-day troubles.
Mattaca Warnick
Dec 27, 2007 Mattaca Warnick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids, mormons, gamblers, and geniuses
I recently rediscovered this series from when I was a kid. They still hold up 20 years later. One of my favorite children's authors.
Tina King
I loved this entire series and, now that I've remembered it, I'm going to get it for my son. I think he'll love them, too.
Story Revolution
As entertaining as ever...readers will fall happily under The Great Brain's spell.--School Library Journal.
Jill
Other than "effect" being used where it ought to have been "affect," it was just as good as all the others.
David Robins
More great old stories about the Fitzgerald boys in small town Utah in the 1890s.
Gwenda
These Great Brain books are so much fun to read during summer vacation!
Adam
I don't remember exactly what happens in this book, but its good!
Amie
Read all these as a kid and loved them!
Sarah Sammis
Fun series. Great illustrations.
Chipp
see The Great Brain
Cws
JAR4-Fit
  • Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5)
  • Go Jump in the Pool! (MacDonald Hall, #2)
  • Tucker's Countryside
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm
  • Henry Reed, Inc.
  • The Mad Scientists' Club (Mad Scientists' Club, #1)
  • Henry and the Clubhouse (Henry, #5)
  • Traveling Shoes (Shoes, #11)
  • The Mystery of the Nervous Lion (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #16)
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown (All-of-a-Kind Family, #2)
OFFICIAL WEBSITE REFERENCED REPORTS:
John Dennis Fitzgerald was born in Price, Utah, on February 3, 1906, to Thomas and Minnie Melsen Fitzgerald. His father had a pharmacy degree but engaged in a number of business ventures and served on the Price Town Council for four years. John graduated from Carbon High School and at the age of eighteen and left Utah to pursue a career as a jazz drummer. He wo...more
More about John D. Fitzgerald...
The Great Brain (Great Brain #1) More Adventures of the Great Brain (Great Brain #2) The Great Brain at the Academy (Great Brain #4) Me and My Little Brain (Great Brain #3) The Great Brain Reforms (Great Brain #5)