Start by marking “Lord Byron: The Major Works” as Want to Read:
Lord Byron: The Major Works

Lord Byron: The Major Works

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  2,524 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Byron is regarded today as the ultimate Romantic, whose name has entered the language to describe a man of brooding passion. Although his private life shocked his contemporaries his poetry was immensely popular and influential, especially in Europe. This comprehensive edition includes the complete texts of his two poetic masterpieces Childe Harold's Pilgrimage and Don Juan ...more
Published September 28th 2000 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Lord Byron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord Byron

The Complete Poems by John KeatsSonnets from the Portuguese by Elizabeth Barrett BrowningThe Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor ColeridgeSongs of Innocence and of Experience by William BlakeLyrical Ballads by William Wordsworth
The Romantic Poets
6th out of 115 books — 36 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson1984 by George Orwell
They Died too Young
23rd out of 260 books — 73 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa (Harmonybites)
Mar 09, 2014 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Romantic Poets
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Good Reading: 100 Significant Books
I have a friend who says she ranks Lord Byron above all the English Romantic poets--even above Keats. I can't agree, even though reading through this I understand why she would. She thinks Keats sometimes overwrought. I don't agree really. What can I say, he sings to me. The only poem of Keats I don't like is Edymion, his one epic poem, and one even Keats admitted was problematic. Even that has lines to relish: "A thing of beauty is a joy forever."

Not that there aren't some gorgeous verse of Byr
Nov 15, 2008 Marusa rated it it was amazing
I love his way of writing and the way he sees the world. I find myself in a lot of his poems and sometimes think, "He stole my idea!" =) My favorite one is Childe Harold's Pilgrimage - especially "Canto the second" part.
Jan 19, 2009 Candie rated it it was amazing
Lord Byron inspired me throughout my adolescence and quickly became on e of my favorite poets. I still treasure my oxford worlds' classics book that was a gift from my High School Senior English teacher, Mr. Sergent. He instilled my love for literature!
Feb 15, 2013 Allwhitenoise rated it it was amazing
This book has been getting me laid for well over a decade, and will continue to help me get laid for many decades to come; and that's how you know it's a Classic immemorial.
katherine drake
Sep 05, 2012 katherine drake rated it really liked it
Shelves: dramatic-fiction
He may have limped with a club-foot,
but his words danced.
Dec 05, 2008 Tahseen rated it it was amazing
Beppo and The vision of judgement were definite favourites, but this is a volume to keep at hand to read again. I wonder why Byron was never mentioned at school.
Dec 28, 2014 Jani rated it liked it
In a way, Guybrush Threepwood introduced me to Lord Byron. Perhaps the connection is not that straightforward, but nevertheless the fact that Mr. Threepwood uses the word 'orange' to stop an otherwise endless cycle of pirate singing and a random comment on a later teacher's part that dear Lord managed to rhyme everything except orange (a difficult task in the early 19th century even if it has become easier later), lead me to buying this rather sizable volume of poetry. And they blame video games ...more
Jul 19, 2013 Alan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Byron has been my favorite Romantic poet--as he was during the Romantic period--since I have been able to read with ease (say, since grad school).
His "English Bard and Scotch Reviewers" sets the standard for English Satire since Jonson and Dryden. It is very funny at the expense of an intellectual elite much less doubtful than ours today. We need another Byron.
His "Don Juan" is without equal in English literature; maybe Ariosto's similar in Italian, though I think Byron more witty, finally.
May 02, 2010 Brett rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Over 1000 pages of Byronic verse, drama, and letters. Byron has never been my favorite poet, but I dutifully trudged through this volume, the first Byron I have read since college. Byron is at his best when he's using his tongue-in-cheek ironic voice, and can sometimes be quite funny. But much of his works are just not that accessible to modern readers, especially Childe Harold, which is a bore. Certainly parts of Don Juan are still fun to read, but towards the end it begins to feel interminable ...more
Ben Doeh
Feb 21, 2016 Ben Doeh rated it it was amazing
Arguably, the first modern celebrity and certainly the most famous literary man of his time. A few awe-inspiring lyrics and so many staggering full-length works and closet dramas mean he wasn't all reputation either.

Of the long poems, I definitely prefer the chatty, comic Byron of the later years (well 29-36, his death) to the early brooding intensity. That said, I've recently been browsing through 'Manfred', a work which combines utterly compelling nihilism with breathtaking perspectives on the
Jan 21, 2011 Sabah rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about this, First it starts off great , In a way that makes you wonder how can a human being have such sense and portrayal, but as we go deeper , parts of it become somewhat boring , such as ODE TO NAPOLEON BUONAPARTE.
Parts of his poem's were definitely magic, and other parts were just not so good, As a Muslim I liked when some verses he mentioned Allah , Eblis , and Some Arabic words like : Ghoul and Afrit, Also the famous Hassan showed up in some places , which was really
Matthew Bellamy
Sep 09, 2009 Matthew Bellamy rated it it was amazing
Byron has come to symbolize a lot in the public imagaination: the rebel, the casanova, the spoiled rich kid, the incestuous pervert, the care-free romantic, and the brooding Gothic genius. Yet in his work we find a very different personality shining through. Byron the sheer poet should not be missed.
Jul 10, 2009 Jake rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lord Byron fans, Romantic Literature geeks
Shelves: poetry
This is a great edition, boasting a large sampling of Lord Byron's work. As titled, the most significant works are included, but a host of smaller, lesser-known work are as well.

I especially appreciate the combination of scholarly endnotes, and Byron's own notes for works like Childe Harold's Pilgrimage.

This is one I am marking up and wearing out.
Apr 08, 2016 Ayushi rated it really liked it
Darkness is an absolute favorite of mine.

An excerpt:
The rivers, lakes and ocean all stood still,
And nothing stirr'd within their silent depths;
Ships sailorless lay rotting on the sea,
And their masts fell down piecemeal;
Sep 12, 2013 Jen rated it it was amazing
Love Lord Byron... I still have one of my favorites memorized...

"She walks in beauty, like the night
of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright,
meet in her aspect and her eyes..."

Jun 29, 2016 Erin rated it really liked it
Byron is one of those writers whose personality seeps into every word choice and placement of punctuation. Fortunately, he's Lord freaking Byron, so that makes his works a joy to read.
Wm Jas Tychonievich
Jul 11, 2008 Wm Jas Tychonievich rated it it was amazing
Byron was a master, endlessly witty, often insightful, and a magician with words. "Don Juan" is his best in terms of sheer verbal virtuosity, but "Cain" is the deepest and most haunting.
Apr 07, 2012 Grouphug rated it it was amazing
Don Juan is an amazing thing, its funny for something so old!
The rest of the poems are great, just awesome too.
Jul 30, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Only upset that I haven't been able to get The Complete Works that used to be in my high school library
Lily Author
Dec 05, 2009 Lily Author rated it really liked it
Wasn't as good as I hoped, but still worth reading to appreciate the history and evolution of gothic literature.
Chris S
May 01, 2010 Chris S rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-again, abort
There ought to be an 'abandoned' bookshelf option. Struggled through most of Childe Harold, but it was just so bloody boring. Couldn't face another 800 pages of this.
Aug 22, 2008 Amanda marked it as to-read
I just named my fish after Lord Byron, and totally referenced a poem by his contemporary, Sir Walter Scott, that I thought Byron wrote. Whoops! I must read some as pitance.
Mar 27, 2015 sologdin rated it liked it
Shelves: literary
Well, Byron's very popular. Sportos, motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads: they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.
M.I. Lastman
Jan 27, 2015 M.I. Lastman rated it really liked it
For me, Byron is the finest of the epic poets, although Coleridge can be wonderful in that form as well.
Janette rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2008
Chloe Sakurai †
Chloe Sakurai † rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Michael Ledezma
Jan 06, 2013 Michael Ledezma rated it it was amazing
Unrivaled power and intensity. Where Keats excelled in lyricism, Byron excels in virile exuberance.
M Berry
M Berry rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2012
Connie (Ava Catherine)
Connie (Ava Catherine) rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2012
Snippets That Ins...: What's the Point of Writing? 1 1 Jun 25, 2016 06:52AM
  • The Major Works: Including Endymion, the Odes and Selected Letters
  • Poetry and Designs: Authoritative Texts, Illuminations in Color and Monochrome, Related Prose, Criticism
  • Poems and Songs
  • Selected Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • A Shropshire Lad
George Gordon Byron (aka Lord Byron), later Noel, 6th Baron Byron of Rochdale FRS was a British poet and a leading figure in Romanticism. Amongst Byron's best-known works are the brief poems She Walks in Beauty, When We Two Parted, and So, we'll go no more a roving, in addition to the narrative poems Childe Harold's Pilgrimage and Don Juan. He is regarded as one of the greatest British poets and r ...more
More about George Gordon Byron...