Lord Byron: The Major Works

Lord Byron: The Major Works

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,828 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Byron is regarded today as the ultimate Romantic, whose name has entered the language to describe a man of brooding passion. Although his private life shocked his contemporaries his poetry was immensely popular and influential, especially in Europe. This comprehensive edition includes the complete texts of his two poetic masterpieces Childe Harold's Pilgrimage and Don Juan...more
Published September 28th 2000 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Lord Byron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord Byron

The Complete Poems by John KeatsSonnets from the Portuguese by Elizabeth Barrett BrowningSongs of Innocence and of Experience by William BlakeLord Byron by George Gordon ByronSelected Poetry by Percy Bysshe Shelley
The Romantic Poets
4th out of 110 books — 31 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
They Died too Young
18th out of 183 books — 51 voters

More lists with this book...

Candie
Lord Byron inspired me throughout my adolescence and quickly became on e of my favorite poets. I still treasure my oxford worlds' classics book that was a gift from my High School Senior English teacher, Mr. Sergent. He instilled my love for literature!
Marusa
I love his way of writing and the way he sees the world. I find myself in a lot of his poems and sometimes think, "He stole my idea!" =) My favorite one is Childe Harold's Pilgrimage - especially "Canto the second" part.
Tahseen
Beppo and The vision of judgement were definite favourites, but this is a volume to keep at hand to read again. I wonder why Byron was never mentioned at school.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Mar 09, 2014 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Romantic Poets
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Good Reading: 100 Significant Books
I have a friend who says she ranks Lord Byron above all the English Romantic poets--even above Keats. I can't agree, even though reading through this I understand why she would. She thinks Keats sometimes overwrought. I don't agree really. What can I say, he sings to me. The only poem of Keats I don't like is Edymion, his one epic poem, and one even Keats admitted was problematic. Even that has lines to relish: "A thing of beauty is a joy forever."

Not that there aren't some gorgeous verse of Byr...more
Alan
Byron has been my favorite Romantic poet--as he was during the Romantic period--since I have been able to read with ease (say, since grad school).
His "English Bard and Scotch Reviewers" sets the standard for English Satire since Jonson and Dryden. It is very funny at the expense of an intellectual elite much less doubtful than ours today. We need another Byron.
His "Don Juan" is without equal in English literature; maybe Ariosto's similar in Italian, though I think Byron more witty, finally.
Byr...more
Allwhitenoise
This book has been getting me laid for well over a decade, and will continue to help me get laid for many decades to come; and that's how you know it's a Classic immemorial.
katherine drake
He may have limped with a club-foot,
but his words danced.
Brett
Over 1000 pages of Byronic verse, drama, and letters. Byron has never been my favorite poet, but I dutifully trudged through this volume, the first Byron I have read since college. Byron is at his best when he's using his tongue-in-cheek ironic voice, and can sometimes be quite funny. But much of his works are just not that accessible to modern readers, especially Childe Harold, which is a bore. Certainly parts of Don Juan are still fun to read, but towards the end it begins to feel interminable...more
Sabah
I have mixed feelings about this, First it starts off great , In a way that makes you wonder how can a human being have such sense and portrayal, but as we go deeper , parts of it become somewhat boring , such as ODE TO NAPOLEON BUONAPARTE.
Parts of his poem's were definitely magic, and other parts were just not so good, As a Muslim I liked when some verses he mentioned Allah , Eblis , and Some Arabic words like : Ghoul and Afrit, Also the famous Hassan showed up in some places , which was really...more
Tina Dalton
I can't say I'm too crazy about Lord Byron--He's no Wordsworth.
Jake
Jul 10, 2009 Jake rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lord Byron fans, Romantic Literature geeks
Shelves: poetry
This is a great edition, boasting a large sampling of Lord Byron's work. As titled, the most significant works are included, but a host of smaller, lesser-known work are as well.

I especially appreciate the combination of scholarly endnotes, and Byron's own notes for works like Childe Harold's Pilgrimage.

This is one I am marking up and wearing out.
Matthew Bellamy
Byron has come to symbolize a lot in the public imagaination: the rebel, the casanova, the spoiled rich kid, the incestuous pervert, the care-free romantic, and the brooding Gothic genius. Yet in his work we find a very different personality shining through. Byron the sheer poet should not be missed.
Jen
Love Lord Byron... I still have one of my favorites memorized...

"She walks in beauty, like the night
of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright,
meet in her aspect and her eyes..."

Wm Jas Tychonievich
Byron was a master, endlessly witty, often insightful, and a magician with words. "Don Juan" is his best in terms of sheer verbal virtuosity, but "Cain" is the deepest and most haunting.
Amanda
Aug 22, 2008 Amanda marked it as to-read
I just named my fish after Lord Byron, and totally referenced a poem by his contemporary, Sir Walter Scott, that I thought Byron wrote. Whoops! I must read some as pitance.
Nancy
Probably should only have the Romantics if stranded on that deserted island with George Clooney...but regardless, it is my favorite era of poetry and a must have!
Chris S
There ought to be an 'abandoned' bookshelf option. Struggled through most of Childe Harold, but it was just so bloody boring. Couldn't face another 800 pages of this.
Lily Author
Wasn't as good as I hoped, but still worth reading to appreciate the history and evolution of gothic literature.
Grouphug
Don Juan is an amazing thing, its funny for something so old!
The rest of the poems are great, just awesome too.
Stephanie
Only upset that I haven't been able to get The Complete Works that used to be in my high school library
Casey
Jul 30, 2008 Casey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: poets, romantics
Romantic poetry is not exactly my thing but who can resist such works as "She Walks in Beauty"?
Michael Ledezma
Unrivaled power and intensity. Where Keats excelled in lyricism, Byron excels in virile exuberance.
Katherine Simmons
I feel his shorter works are much better, his epic poetry falls short compared to Milton's work.
Catherine
Spent a whole semester with this book. Byron certainly was an interesting guy.
Valerie
Working my way through Byron. I prefer Robert Browning, Tennyson and Kipling.
Amy Wolf
Loved his poetry when I was young. . .a major influence on the Brontes.
Jessica
I'm a Byron fanatic. You all know this. This is an excellent collection.
Mademoiselle Karma
A colletion of excellent works by an admirable Poet
RK Byers
he's at his best when he avoids the "epic" stuff.
V.S. Carnes
His doomed love... *sigh*
  • John Keats: The Major Works: Including Endymion, the Odes and Selected Letters
  • Poetry and Prose
  • The Major Works
  • Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions)
  • The Major Works (Oxford World's Classics)
  • Poetry and Designs: Authoritative Texts, Illuminations in Color and Monochrome, Related Prose, Criticism
  • Selected Poetry
  • The Complete Poems
  • John Milton: The Major Works (Oxford World's Classics)
  • Robert Browning's Poetry
George Gordon Byron (aka Lord Byron), later Noel, 6th Baron Byron of Rochdale FRS was a British poet and a leading figure in Romanticism. Amongst Byron's best-known works are the brief poems She Walks in Beauty, When We Two Parted, and So, we'll go no more a roving, in addition to the narrative poems Childe Harold's Pilgrimage and Don Juan. He is regarded as one of the greatest British poets and r...more
More about George Gordon Byron...
Selected Poems Don Juan Byron's Poetry Childe Harold's Pilgrimage Manfred: A Dramatic Poem