Start by marking “Bill Hicks: Agent of Evolution” as Want to Read:
Bill Hicks: Agent of Evolution

Bill Hicks: Agent of Evolution

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  362 ratings  ·  20 reviews

Written by Bill Hick's lifelong friend, producer, and co-creator, Kevin Booth offers the inside story into the man who was only along for the ride for a tragically short time, yet left an indelible mark on comedy enthusiasts and freethinkers everywhere.

Bill Hicks: Agent of Evolution offers a rare fly-on-the-wall insight into the life of one of Britain's most loved US comed

Published June 24th 2010 by HarperCollins Entertainment (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bill Hicks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bill Hicks

Jinsie
The story of an uncompromisingly human soul... Kevin Booth was Hicks' best friend and collaborator throughout his life, so this is the most authoritative, personal and insightful biography you could hope to read. Some of the anecdotes and awakening philosophies relayed here resonated with me at a particularly tumultuous and stimulant-addled stage of my life; it was as if I had found my first soulmate.
R
The best Bill book, by far. Talk about how biased it is, talk about how harsh Kevin is, but it's the real story, and not just reprinted jokes from the past that are already on the CDs you own anyway. The color pictures were kept intact for the MMP. Come to the ranch, friends.
Valarie
It shouldn't be much of a shock that the late comedian Bill Hicks--who died of pancreatic cancer--was kind of a jerk, but he was a brilliant jerk and the people who were closest to him loved him dearly. This book is a wonderful homage to a man who made us laugh and think.
Erin
Nov 08, 2009 Erin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Got the UK version. Flipping through and reading bits at random. Not done, yet.
J.C.
I read this book hoping to learn a little more about the best comic not named Pryor or Carlin that the documentary about his life didn't tell me. Unfortunately, this book was a bit all over the place and felt really rushed to production and not at all flushed out like a proper biography should be. Because of that I have to say that I can't really recommend this book to people who know nothing or almost nothing about Bill Hicks. If you are a fan and have the money to order an out of print copy of ...more
Stephen
This one was interesting - kind of an oral history of Hicks' life. As you might expect for a patchwork of so many contributors, the writing is pretty uneven, but it does give a fascinating account of life of life in and around Austin during the stand-up comedy boom of the 80s. Although the different witnesses frequently paint contradictory, and quite possibly unreliable, pictures, you end up with a compelling portrait of Hicks - flawed and restless, but endearingly ingenuous even when being into ...more
Robert D.
An amazing book about an even more amazing individual. Can't put into words how awesome Bill Hicks is and this book gives you a good viewpoint on his life and career.
Lauren
A fantastic book giving a real insight into the life of Bill Hicks. Much better than previously read American Scream as this is written by his best friend so you really get a feel for Bill Hicks the person not just Bill Hicks the comedian. Really interesting read whilst also showing some interesting pictures! A definate for anyone!
Jason
Even though my favorite comedian has passed away and lesser comedians try to imitate. His material is as relevant today as it was 14 years ago. He will "squeegee your third eye."
Steve Mitchell
This is an excellent biography of one of the greatest stand up comedians of the twentieth century. This book is a must read for any fan of Bill Hicks.
David Hewitt
Mar 27, 2008 David Hewitt is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Bill Hicks is one of my favorite comedians, lets see if the book on his life and times is up to snuff shall we?
Neil
A more concise bio of BH than American Scream. Both books are, in their own way pretty much invaluable.
Tyson
Aug 07, 2007 Tyson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you
the definitive biography of the late Prophet Rev. Bill Hicks, written by his closest friends
Richard
Flawed and too many self absorbed views but fascinating also
schadenfreudian
I wish Bill were still alive. This book reminded me why.
Shetlerjo
excellent oral history by his friends.
Rand
Bill Hicks - Enough said!
Lucy Aughney
Fawning and dull.
Harman Bhamra
Jul 07, 2009 Harman Bhamra is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
its bill hicks.
Preston
Preston marked it as to-read
Jon M
Jon M marked it as to-read
Jillian Wilkinson
Jillian Wilkinson marked it as to-read
Braxton Hendricks II
Braxton Hendricks II marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Lazman
Lazman marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Rhodri
Rhodri marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
  • How I Escaped My Certain Fate
  • Nick Drake: The Biography
  • Paul Robeson
  • Red Lobster, White Trash, & the Blue Lagoon: Joe Queenan's America
  • Ladies and Gentlemen, Lenny Bruce!!
  • A Bit More Fry & Laurie