Start by marking “Bill Hicks: Agent of Evolution” as Want to Read:
Bill Hicks: Agent of Evolution

Bill Hicks: Agent of Evolution

Written by Bill Hick's lifelong friend, producer, and co-creator, Kevin Booth offers the inside story into the man who was only along for the ride for a tragically short time, yet left an indelible mark on comedy enthusiasts and freethinkers everywhere.

Bill Hicks: Agent of Evolution offers a rare fly-on-the-wall insight into the life of one of Britain's most loved US comed

Published June 24th 2010 by HarperCollins Entertainment (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bill Hicks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bill Hicks

Jinsie
Jan 15, 2010 Jinsie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of an uncompromisingly human soul... Kevin Booth was Hicks' best friend and collaborator throughout his life, so this is the most authoritative, personal and insightful biography you could hope to read. Some of the anecdotes and awakening philosophies relayed here resonated with me at a particularly tumultuous and stimulant-addled stage of my life; it was as if I had found my first soulmate.
Eve Dangerfield
Hard to read, very lengthy and a little repetitive, also as a huge fan of Bill Hicks' comedy it was difficult to digest the family disputes, drug abuse, drink driving and general butthole behaviour from someone I regarded as an agent for love, respect and change, not to mention razor sharp observational comedy. Kind of wish I didn't know half the things I know about Bill now. Ignorance was definately bliss.
rob
Sep 05, 2012 rob rated it it was amazing
The best Bill book, by far. Talk about how biased it is, talk about how harsh Kevin is, but it's the real story, and not just reprinted jokes from the past that are already on the CDs you own anyway. The color pictures were kept intact for the MMP. Come to the ranch, friends.
Valarie
Jun 20, 2008 Valarie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It shouldn't be much of a shock that the late comedian Bill Hicks--who died of pancreatic cancer--was kind of a jerk, but he was a brilliant jerk and the people who were closest to him loved him dearly. This book is a wonderful homage to a man who made us laugh and think.
Harriet
Mar 24, 2014 Harriet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really special. Despite the repetition and spelling errors.

"It's just a ride". I'm not making fun, that's what it is. I really appreciated the tone of the book. It was all so sincere, unflinching and poignant.

It'll stay with me for a long time.
Neil
Aug 24, 2013 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A more concise bio of BH than American Scream. Both books are, in their own way pretty much invaluable.
Erin
Nov 08, 2009 Erin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Got the UK version. Flipping through and reading bits at random. Not done, yet.
Xenothon Stelnicki
Great biography by insider and best friend; a unique angle on this insightful motherfucker. Read it in Costa Rica while staying at Luz en el Cielo, paradise.
J.C.
Apr 09, 2013 J.C. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book hoping to learn a little more about the best comic not named Pryor or Carlin that the documentary about his life didn't tell me. Unfortunately, this book was a bit all over the place and felt really rushed to production and not at all flushed out like a proper biography should be. Because of that I have to say that I can't really recommend this book to people who know nothing or almost nothing about Bill Hicks. If you are a fan and have the money to order an out of print copy of ...more
Stephen
Oct 26, 2009 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was interesting - kind of an oral history of Hicks' life. As you might expect for a patchwork of so many contributors, the writing is pretty uneven, but it does give a fascinating account of life of life in and around Austin during the stand-up comedy boom of the 80s. Although the different witnesses frequently paint contradictory, and quite possibly unreliable, pictures, you end up with a compelling portrait of Hicks - flawed and restless, but endearingly ingenuous even when being into ...more
Lauren
Sep 08, 2008 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic book giving a real insight into the life of Bill Hicks. Much better than previously read American Scream as this is written by his best friend so you really get a feel for Bill Hicks the person not just Bill Hicks the comedian. Really interesting read whilst also showing some interesting pictures! A definate for anyone!
Steve Mitchell
Jul 25, 2011 Steve Mitchell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent biography of one of the greatest stand up comedians of the twentieth century. This book is a must read for any fan of Bill Hicks.
Jason
Jun 15, 2007 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Even though my favorite comedian has passed away and lesser comedians try to imitate. His material is as relevant today as it was 14 years ago. He will "squeegee your third eye."
Ross Chambers
It was an interesting insight into Bills life and I really enjoyed some of the amusing stories but in parts I got a bit disinterested.
David Hewitt
Mar 27, 2008 David Hewitt is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Bill Hicks is one of my favorite comedians, lets see if the book on his life and times is up to snuff shall we?
Robert D.
Jun 14, 2014 Robert D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book about an even more amazing individual. Can't put into words how awesome Bill Hicks is and this book gives you a good viewpoint on his life and career.
Cassandra
Cassandra rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2012
Al
Al rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2012
Blacksock
Blacksock rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2013
Nico
Nico rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2012
HRD
HRD rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2012
Matthew Kleebauer
Matthew Kleebauer rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013
jane
jane rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2012
Martin Radoczi
Martin Radoczi rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Michele
Michele rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2012
Melissa Jones
Melissa Jones rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2009
Nicola Paccagnani
Nicola Paccagnani rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2015
Kylie
Kylie rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2011
Seigneur-
Seigneur- rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2013