Start by marking “The Complete Poems and Plays of T.S. Eliot” as Want to Read:
The Complete Poems and Plays of T.S. Eliot

The Complete Poems and Plays of T.S. Eliot

Poet, dramatist, critic & editor, T.S. Eliot (1888-1965) was a defining figure of 20th-century poetry. This edition of The Complete Poems & Plays, published for the 1st time in paper, includes all of his verse & work for stage, from Prufrock & Other Observations ('17) to Four Quartets ('43), & includes such literary landmarks as The Waste Land, Old Poss ...more
Published by Faber and Faber (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Poems and Plays of T.S. Eliot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Poems and Plays of T.S. Eliot

--Portrait of a Lady
--Preludes
--Rhapsody on a Windy Night
--Morning at the Window
--The 'Boston Evening Transcript'
--Aunt Helen

--The Hippopotamus
--Dans le Restaurant
--Whispers of Immor
Ely (Tea & Titles)
I enjoyed The Waste Land even more the third time around. I did enjoy his poems a lot more than his plays.
Jan 25, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I still have the edition I pilfered from my high school library. After I was the only one to check it out for about a year, I decided I would just keep it. And I have loved it ever since. Eliot is titillating and sharp, also poignant and worldly. He was my first poetic love.
Jun 17, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
We named our kid after the guy. What did you think I was going to rate it?
Robert
Aug 19, 2008 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama, poetry
Probably the only poet I have read the entire collected works of. (Verse work he chose to publish in his lifetime, that is.) Having not been prolific, Eliot achieved an extraordinarily high average standard.
I do not profess to "understand" some of Eliot's more notoriously obscure poems, however, I love them for the sound they make.
Nicholas
Aug 15, 2016 Nicholas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
T.S. Eliot wrote glorious modernist poetry. I highly recommend the Faber and Faber hardcover edition which includes every poem and play he wrote. "The Wasteland" will leave you purged while "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cat's" will fill you with mirth. I savored every minute as I read each poem.
Joseph Exley
Lovers of poetry..if you havent read this..DO!!
Christopher Rush
...only to find, it's not "complete" any more. I've been carrying this treasure around for at least over a decade now, and I finally got around to reading it. I just grabbed it and read it fairly quickly. I got through most of the poems in about three days then got slowed down a smidge by the plays. As you know, I'm possibly the greatest Eliot fan alive today, but I got to tell you, his famous poems are probably his best poems. There aren't really a lot of forgotten gems in this collection, thou ...more
Joshua Neil
Jan 12, 2017 Joshua Neil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TS Eliot, arguably the greatest poet that ever lived, was not particularly prolific: this collection of poems and plays, encompassing his whole life's work, runs to around 596 pages, the majority of which is taken up by his plays.
The main reason to read this book, then, is contained in the first quarter of its length: the early poems, such as Prufrock, The Waste Land and Gerontion, are among the most incredible and awe-inspiring pieces of writing ever set down, and each required careful and de
Alex
Jan 07, 2017 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A time honoured favorite
Marion
Mar 10, 2014 Marion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Actually I only read most of the poems, not the plays. I wanted to read the Song of Simeon which is why I had requested the book from the library. Quite a dark view of life in a lot of them (except for the cats of course)... Eliot was accused of being an anti-Semite for the Song of Simeon, and I could see that the ending might be taken that way. Simeon was the elder in the story of Jesus being presented as a baby in the temple. I thought it was an interesting musing on Eliot's part of what Simeo ...more
i!
Cleared my rating because I don't see much point in giving an author's entire corpus something as insulting and nonsensical as a "star-rating". It's bad enough for individual books.

That being said, this, the Faber&Faber edition, is the copy to get. It includes everything that's left out of other collections that are presented as the complete works of Eliot.
K.A. Meade
Sep 13, 2012 K.A. Meade rated it it was amazing
In my opinion T.S. Eliot was in his time (and remains) the last major poet of the English language and possibly also the last major poet of Western civilisation. Although not without flaws, he yet remains an inspired master of his art.
Daniel Petrides
All the poems in the previous edition plus old possum's cats and the four plays m. Probably the best book of modern English language poetry anyone could own.
Lily
Sep 02, 2014 Lily rated it really liked it
A long time member of my book shelves. To be pulled down and one or another of Eliot's plays relished once again -- or perhaps, sadly, for the first time.
Hansi
Hansi rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2017
Alexander Atmore
Alexander Atmore rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2015
Sherrill Scott
Sherrill Scott rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Gianne Leoncio
Gianne Leoncio rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2016
Philip Kelley
Philip Kelley rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2015
William L. McDowell
William L. McDowell rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
tonolmo
tonolmo rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2017
Peter Flamm
Peter Flamm rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
R
R rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Amalanathan Gopinath
Amalanathan Gopinath rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2016
Claudia Hernandez
Claudia Hernandez rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2012
J. Alfred Prufrock
J. Alfred Prufrock rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2016
Michael Rosenbaum
Michael Rosenbaum rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2015
David Tuvell
David Tuvell rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2015
Ren
Ren rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2011
  • Collected Poems: 1945-1990 R.S.Thomas: Collected Poems : R S Thomas
  • Emily Dickinson Everyman's Poetry
  • Selected Poems, 1966-1987
  • The Metaphysical Poets
  • Selected Poetry (Poetry Library)
  • Collected Poems
  • Design for Living
  • Poetic Meter and Poetic Form
  • Complete Poems
  • Poetical Works: Tennyson
Thomas Stearns Eliot was a poet, dramatist and literary critic. He received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1948 "for his outstanding, pioneer contribution to present-day poetry." He wrote the poems The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, The Waste Land, The Hollow Men, Ash Wednesday, and Four Quartets; the plays Murder in the Cathedral and The Cocktail Party; and the essay Tradition and the Individ ...more
More about T.S. Eliot...

Between the essence
And the descent,
Falls the Shadow.”
29 likes
“Why should men love the Church? Why should they love her laws?
She tells them of Life and Death, and of all that they would forget.
She is tender where they would be hard, and hard where they like to be soft.
She tells them of Evil and Sin, and other unpleasant facts.
They constantly try to escape
From the darkness outside and within
By dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good.
But the man that is will shadow
The man that pretends to be.”
10 likes