Start by marking “The King's Dragon” as Want to Read:
The King's Dragon

The King's Dragon

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The King's Dragon is based on a character who wouldn't leave me alone; a damaged man who has no business being a hero, but is. For the longest time, I didn't know what to do with him, until I put him in this world. The setting comes from a Fantasy series I plan to write. The first book is all mapped out-- to the extent this seat-of-the-pants writer can plan anything in adv ...more
Published July 12th 2011 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The King's Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King's Dragon

Melindeeloo
A brave intelligent woman, a dangerous scarred warrior, a shrewd king, and magic of another kind. The King's Dragon was the best kind of short story. Jewel makes effective use of the scant space to draw the world, make her characters 'live' and to tell a complete story while making me wish for more of both the characters and this fantasy world. (this short was also available for free to members on the heroesand heartbreakers website)
Brenda (b)
This short story was quick but it offered a look into a world that I'd love to know more about. The characters were intriguing, held my interest and made me want to know more. I'll definitely be looking at more of the author's work.
Estara
Apr 19, 2012 Estara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fants of fantasy with a romantic subplot
This is a fragment of a possible fantasy story by Carolyn Jewel, first posted free at Heroes and Heartbreakers. I liked it even then well enough to make my own .epub out of it (via dotepub firefox plugin) - when it was made available for buying I bought it to show my appreciation.

The 26 pages we get are the core of getting hero and heroine irreversibly connected - before they have not met, but been aware of each other. A lot of the pages are filled with worldbuilding, so the reader understands w
Cheri
27 pages. It ended just as it was getting good. Honestly if I had known it was only 27 pages I never would have read it... I hate finding a story that I know is going to be tasty, and just as I get my teeth into it, it ends... I end up frustrated and grumpy. :)
Shelley
Would love to read more of Atul and Mair, and see more of their world!
Mara
Apr 17, 2012 Mara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mara by: BamaGal
Shelves: fantasy
Ms Jewel reminds me of Grace Draven. They are among the very few authors (I read) who succeed in writing meaningful, lovely shorts that are a pleasure to read and make you wish to have more.

Authors who are able to give you insight in a story/characters with a few touches of their brush.

I really hope she'll write the fantasy series she has promised in the blurb :)

Thanks Nyasa for the loan.

Jp
I liked the book but it was too short and the ending quite disappointing as it just ended without ending the story. No relationship development or anything else - just a wedding and that's pretty much it, but it also was quite nice. Too bad the author didn't develop the story more.
S.N. McKibben
Left me with wanting more! Loved the haunted but proud hero and the fearless heroine. Really wanted more of the story!
Karen
I love love loved this... my only complaint was its length! ;) When do we get MORE of the story?
Lizzielvr
Although this left me a bit frustrated, only because I wanted to read more, it's a good novella...
Mhollie
I wish this could be made into a series. The story & concept has sooo much potential!
Cary
Cary marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Brian
Brian added it
Oct 26, 2014
Amy Klima
Amy Klima marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Nancy Jones
Nancy Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Red
Red marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Mireya
Mireya added it
Dec 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Carolyn Jewel was born on a moonless night. That darkness was seared into her soul and she became an award winning and USA Today bestselling author of historical and paranormal romance. She has a very dusty car and a Master’s degree in English that proves useful at the oddest times. An avid fan of fine chocolate, finer heroines, Bollywood films, and heroism in all forms, she has two cats and a dog ...more
More about Carolyn Jewel...
Scandal Lord Ruin My Wicked Enemy (My Immortals #1) My Forbidden Desire (My Immortals #2) Not Wicked Enough (Reforming the Scoundrels, #1)