Start by marking “Thief! (The Queen's Thief, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Thief! (The Queen's Thief, #0.5)

Thief! (The Queen's Thief #o.5)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  810 ratings  ·  58 reviews
A short story about a younger Eugenides from the magazine Disney Adventures.
Published August 2000 by Disney Adventures Magazine

To ask other readers questions about Thief!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thief!

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne JonesCrown Duel by Sherwood SmithThe Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen TurnerGraceling by Kristin CashoreThe Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
Recommendations for Megan Whalen Turner Fans
18th out of 107 books — 107 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott LynchThe Thief by Megan Whalen TurnerThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienArtemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Thieves
113th out of 438 books — 882 voters

More lists with this book...

Jillian -always aspiring-
Jan 07, 2012 Jillian -always aspiring- rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers who have loved the Queen's Thief series (and its hero, Eugenides)
I've never written a proper review for any of the Queen's Thief books I have read (even though I love them so, however much portions of the story make my heart ache), but seeing and reading this short story inspired me a bit to give some of my impressions of this story and the main character, Eugenides. (Note: Here there be SPOILERS for the novels themselves, so read with caution if you have yet to read said novels for yourself.)

It's strange that I would come across this short story because, yea
Honour
Megan Whalen Turner made this short story available online for us to read. Go HERE to read little Gen's story before he became The Queen's Thief.

If you haven't read The Queen's Thief series then treat this illustrated short story as a major spoiler (MAJOR), and avoid reading it if you can till you've at least finished the first book (The Thief).
The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1) by Megan Whalen Turner

If you have read the series (or at least The Thief), then you'll understand the undertone and sweetness of this story very well.

On it's own this story m
Stephanie
Cute.
I'll read anything by Megan Whalen Turner.
Monica!
Squee! How did I not know there was a little Eugenides short story floating around teh interwebs??

Adorable and quick, we get to meet Eugenides pre-mom's-death, see how he developed his penchant for stealing women's earrings and dedicating them to his god, watch his interactions with his horde of cousins (this part is sort of heartwrenching, actually, since most readers know that (view spoiler)
Anila
Oh, Gen, you just never change, do you?
This is a very cute little short story - it doesn't add a lot to the actual books but Gen is just so much fun as a character that it's worth a read anyhow. Thanks to Megan Whalen Turner for putting it up online.
Joy
There are some books you wish would just shut up already, but there are some little pieces of writing you wish would just go on and on. This was one of them.

Reading about Eugenides all over again as a little kid just had that SQUEE factor, because isn't it lovely to revisit a series where everything is all nice and innocent and there are no more wars and no more politics and no more hatred? Reading about him now, knowing what he goes through later, is undoubtedly kinda sad, but at the same time
Anggia Retno
You can find the story here http://meganwhalenturner.org/DisneyAd...

This is a snapshot about little Gen, that in the future will become Thief of Eddis
Alisha
This series is hands down one of my absolute favorites. I have been through a few sets of paperback copies because I read them so often they fall apart.
Olgia
Best Short Story ever. :)
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Liked this well enough - Nice to see Gen as a child, before he becomes a fascinating, yet annoying, semi-adult. However, this story won't make much sense without having read at least the first book. And it is actually a huge spoiler for the end of the first book, so that's pretty disappointing.

Luckily, people wouldn't be reading this short story now without having read the first book, so there's that.
Suz
A great short story about Gen before he becomes the Queen's Thief with wonderful illustrations! Thanks to the author for providing this to us for free! http://meganwhalenturner.org/DisneyAd...
Jennie
A charming short story that takes place well before The Thief, and confirms my belief that Eugenides is my fictional boyfriend forever. It contains spoilers for The Thief, so don't pick it up until after you've read the first book in the series.
Spandana
It took 8 pages for young Gen to completely charm me. And the writing- so enjoyable. Looking forward to reading this series. :D
Kitty
Maybe if it wasn't a children's story... I don't think kids need stories that romanticize stealing.
Eva Ebert
It's a nice little story, giving us a slice of Gen's life as a child and if you've never read any of the books it will serve as a fine little introduction to the universe. It's an enjoyable read, but it's not what I would call essential.
Emily
Jan 10, 2014 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of The Thief
First off, like other reviewers, I wouldn't read this short story about Gen (free online) until after you've read the first book in the series, The Thief -- otherwise you risk spoiling some of the surprises that come next. As a stand alone story, it's a fun little race with an impish little boy as he sharpens his thieving skills on the backs of his cousins. As background to Gen's life, it's a bit more illuminating to get this glimpse into the series' protagonist.
Vicky
What a lovely short story!
Punk
YA Fantasy. A prequel to the Queen's Thief series. Gen's ten and causing trouble with his cousins. I read this after The King of Attolia, and it made an otherwise simple story quite bittersweet, which is a nice trick. Chad Cameron's illustrations are charming, as well.

The story's available at Turner's website for free, but unfortunately it's in jpg format, scanned from a magazine, and won't be accessible for all readers.
Jessica
I love the thief series and this little glimpse into Eugenides life before becoming the Queen's Thief was fun. The only other mention of his family outside his cousins was in the Queen of Attolia when Gen looks at his watch and someone asks him if his brother made it for him. I hope if Megan Turner ever writes more about Eugenides, we can learn what happened to his brother (and other siblings?) because, gosh, I just love him.
Cheryl Hager
I just read The Thief, and mentioned in my review that I could not figure out Gen's age by the details. This prequel, written four years after says he 10 yo. I don't get that. He sounds 10 here, but not in The Thief. How much time has actually passed between the events in this one and that one??
skein
Wee Gen! Adorable story, and just a tiny bit tricksy.
It's hard to keep in mind how very young Eugenides is. He is 10 in this story, and the following three (or four) books take place only a few years apart from each other -- so he is, perhaps -- ten -- thirteen -- sixteen -- twenty: a very young thief. A very young man.

When this story takes place, his mother is still alive.
Debbie
It feels weird giving a 4 star to a short story, but there ya have it. :) This was a cute, short read that left me wanting to hear more about Gen's childhood. It was only a few pages long and can be found here: http://meganwhalenturner.org/DisneyAd.... Maybe the author will go back and write a full length prequel? I would definitely read it!
Sam
This is a nice short story revolving around Gen, the hero of Megan Whalen Turner’s Thief series, as a child. It outlines his aspirations and slightly spoils the plot of the first book, the Thief, though the reader wouldn't know it until midway through the book.

As others have suggested, I would read The Thief first, and follow up with this prequel.
Heather
This was a cute short story "prequel" to the first book in the series. Just a snipet from the life of the thief as a child. It will only take a few minutes to read. But if you are a fan of the Queen's Thief series, you will probably enjoy this. You can read it by following the link below.

Amy
An excellent little story add on to one of my favourite series 'The Queen's Thief'. It's as brilliantly written as her longer novels and the only disappointment is that there aren't more stories of little Gen. If you've read this series make sure you read this. If you haven't read this series, read it so you can read this.
Nikki
Thief! is a look into Gen's life as a child. Gen isn't really any different than you would think at the age of 10 after reading The Thief. Gen is still entertaining, even at 10, and I enjoyed the introduction to his brother. The story should not be read prior to The Thief as I believe it holds some spoilers.
Llana
Sep 01, 2013 Llana marked it as to-read
The cover looks hideous,this looks like something I'd read to someone I babysit but GEN! So yeah I'll be reading this because this series has brought me so much joy at being able to recapture the joy of reading when I wasn't a jaded bibliophile.
Emily
Having read most of the other Queens Thief books, this gives me a joy to be back when Gen was younger, completely unaware what would come to him later. You can definitely see the older Gen in the younger, except with a bit more innocence perhaps...
Kristine
In my effort to read every word ever written by Megan Whalen Turner, I ran into this short story Disney Magazine article.

Cute. Makes me miss Gen.

K.zsi
Don't read it first, start with The Thief...really it would spoil the book (not much just a bit).
It was a good read...a bit short, but it IS a short story...anyway it was good to read a bit more about Gen, till the next book comes out.
Fans of Eugenides: Thief! 4 12 Oct 08, 2013 05:22PM
  • Ferragost (Lumatere Chronicles, #2.5)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • Seraphina: The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • The Princess of Cortova (The Silver Bowl, #3)
  • The Sunbird (The Lion Hunters, #3)
  • Career Day (Jasper Dent, #0.5)
  • The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories, Volume Two: Outer Space, Inner Lands (The Unreal and the Real, #2)
  • A Stranger to Command
  • Tomorrow and Tomorrow (All Our Yesterdays, #1.5)
  • Thrice Sworn (Winterling, #0.5)
  • The Time-Traveling Fashionista and Cleopatra, Queen of the Nile
  • The Legend of the King (The Squire's Tales, #10)
  • Renegade Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #2)
  • The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)
  • Magic Below Stairs
  • Solstice Day Gifts (The Emperor's Edge, #7.5)
  • The Lost Conspiracy
  • Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2)
For those of you who have to write reports for school, I will say that I was born in 1965 and I have siblings, all of them older, which makes me the baby of the family. We had a pet cat when I was growing up. He died a long time ago, but I think he is living his next life with the author of Tithe, Holly Black. I have seen pictures and her White Cat appears too similar for mere coincidence. I moved ...more
More about Megan Whalen Turner...

The Queen's Thief (6 books)
  • The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1)
  • The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • A Conspiracy of Kings (The Queen's Thief, #4)
  • Untitled (The Queen's Thief, #5)
  • Untitled (The Queen's Thief, #6)
The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1) The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3) The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2) A Conspiracy of Kings (The Queen's Thief, #4) Instead of Three Wishes: Magical Short Stories