Start by marking “Thief! (The Queen's Thief, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Thief! (The Queen's Thief, #0.5)

Thief! (The Queen's Thief #o.5)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  954 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
A short story about a younger Eugenides from the magazine Disney Adventures.
Published August 2000 by Disney Adventures Magazine

To ask other readers questions about Thief!, please sign up.

Stephy You don't have to read The Thief first, it's fine as a stand alone. In the beginning of this short story there is a blurb for people who are not…moreYou don't have to read The Thief first, it's fine as a stand alone. In the beginning of this short story there is a blurb for people who are not familiar with the world The Thief is set in.(less)
Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne JonesCrown Duel by Sherwood SmithThe Blue Sword by Robin McKinleyThe Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen TurnerFinnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta
Recommendations for Megan Whalen Turner Fans
21st out of 111 books — 139 voters
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott LynchThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Thief by Megan Whalen TurnerArtemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Thieves
136th out of 504 books — 1,124 voters

More lists with this book...

Jillian -always aspiring-
Jan 07, 2012 Jillian -always aspiring- rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers who have loved the Queen's Thief series (and its hero, Eugenides)
I've never written a proper review for any of the Queen's Thief books I have read (even though I love them so, however much portions of the story make my heart ache), but seeing and reading this short story inspired me a bit to give some of my impressions of this story and the main character, Eugenides. (Note: Here there be SPOILERS for the novels themselves, so read with caution if you have yet to read said novels for yourself.)

It's strange that I would come across this short story because, yea
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.5 stars. Review originally published at www.fantasyliterature.com.

Readers who (like me) are fond of Megan Whalen Turner’s THE QUEEN’S THIEF fantasy series, and who mourn the length of time between publication of her novels, can ease their pain just a little with the short story “Thief!,” originally published in August 2000 in Disney Adventures Magazine and now posted on her website here. "Thief!" is a prequel to The Thief, the first book in this series. It’s a brief adventure in the life of yo
Chatty P (previously Honour)
Megan Whalen Turner made this short story available online for us to read. Go HERE to read little Gen's story before he became The Queen's Thief.

If you haven't read The Queen's Thief series then treat this illustrated short story as a major spoiler (MAJOR), and avoid reading it if you can till you've at least finished the first book (The Thief).
The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1) by Megan Whalen Turner

If you have read the series (or at least The Thief), then you'll understand the undertone and sweetness of this story very well.

On it's own this story m
Stephanie
Cute.
I'll read anything by Megan Whalen Turner.
Jubilation Lee
Squee! How did I not know there was a little Eugenides short story floating around teh interwebs??

Adorable and quick, we get to meet Eugenides pre-mom's-death, see how he developed his penchant for stealing women's earrings and dedicating them to his god, watch his interactions with his horde of cousins (this part is sort of heartwrenching, actually, since most readers know that (view spoiler)
Kogiopsis
Jan 08, 2012 Kogiopsis rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Oh, Gen, you just never change, do you?
This is a very cute little short story - it doesn't add a lot to the actual books but Gen is just so much fun as a character that it's worth a read anyhow. Thanks to Megan Whalen Turner for putting it up online.
Elevetha
BABY GEN.

I believe that is enough said.
Joy
There are some books you wish would just shut up already, but there are some little pieces of writing you wish would just go on and on. This was one of them.

Reading about Eugenides all over again as a little kid just had that SQUEE factor, because isn't it lovely to revisit a series where everything is all nice and innocent and there are no more wars and no more politics and no more hatred? Reading about him now, knowing what he goes through later, is undoubtedly kinda sad, but at the same time
Ameera Talal
Dec 18, 2015 Ameera Talal rated it really liked it
A quick delightful insight into the world of Gen as a child, who's as witty and determined as we came to know him in The Thief.
Thea Zhu
May 24, 2015 Thea Zhu rated it really liked it
Nice little short story about young Gen, back then when he was still chased and bullied by his cousins but already shown traces of his qualities as a future thief. It also involves his older brother Stenides who as far as I can remember hasn't showed up in the other books yet.

It took a bit to get used to the illustration that accompanied the short story (by Chad Chameron, not the author Turner). The characters in the "The Queen's Thief" have always been somewhat ageless to me which is perfect f
Anggia Retno
Jan 03, 2012 Anggia Retno rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ebook, english
You can find the story here http://meganwhalenturner.org/DisneyAd...

This is a snapshot about little Gen, that in the future will become Thief of Eddis
Alisha
Dec 12, 2012 Alisha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
This series is hands down one of my absolute favorites. I have been through a few sets of paperback copies because I read them so often they fall apart.
Olgia
Nov 18, 2013 Olgia rated it it was amazing
Best Short Story ever. :)
Suz
Dec 26, 2014 Suz rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-july-dec
A great short story about Gen before he becomes the Queen's Thief with wonderful illustrations! Thanks to the author for providing this to us for free! http://meganwhalenturner.org/DisneyAd...
Jennie
Jan 27, 2014 Jennie rated it really liked it
A charming short story that takes place well before The Thief, and confirms my belief that Eugenides is my fictional boyfriend forever. It contains spoilers for The Thief, so don't pick it up until after you've read the first book in the series.
Spandana
Jul 12, 2014 Spandana rated it really liked it
It took 8 pages for young Gen to completely charm me. And the writing- so enjoyable. Looking forward to reading this series. :D
Emma
Aug 27, 2015 Emma rated it it was amazing
There is really no such thing as too much Eugenides in one's life. God I love these characters and t his world.
Kathleen Kirby Vallejo
Feb 05, 2016 Kathleen Kirby Vallejo rated it really liked it
Cute little story about a much younger Gen and the thievery he was up to even at a young age.
Kitty
Aug 17, 2014 Kitty rated it it was ok
Maybe if it wasn't a children's story... I don't think kids need stories that romanticize stealing.
Eva Ebert
Oct 06, 2014 Eva Ebert rated it really liked it
It's a nice little story, giving us a slice of Gen's life as a child and if you've never read any of the books it will serve as a fine little introduction to the universe. It's an enjoyable read, but it's not what I would call essential.
Katy
May 19, 2015 Katy added it
Shelves: read-2015
Short fiction. Available online.
Emily
Jan 10, 2014 Emily rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of The Thief
First off, like other reviewers, I wouldn't read this short story about Gen (free online) until after you've read the first book in the series, The Thief -- otherwise you risk spoiling some of the surprises that come next. As a stand alone story, it's a fun little race with an impish little boy as he sharpens his thieving skills on the backs of his cousins. As background to Gen's life, it's a bit more illuminating to get this glimpse into the series' protagonist.
Maja
Aug 15, 2015 Maja rated it liked it
A cute and short little story
Anne
Jun 27, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it
Really short
Vicky
Nov 05, 2014 Vicky rated it really liked it
What a lovely short story!
Morgan DuVal
Oct 18, 2015 Morgan DuVal rated it it was amazing
LOVE.
Punk
Mar 30, 2013 Punk rated it really liked it
YA Fantasy. A prequel to the Queen's Thief series. Gen's ten and causing trouble with his cousins. I read this after The King of Attolia, and it made an otherwise simple story quite bittersweet, which is a nice trick. Chad Cameron's illustrations are charming, as well.

The story's available at Turner's website for free, but unfortunately it's in jpg format, scanned from a magazine, and won't be accessible for all readers.
Juny
Dec 02, 2015 Juny rated it it was amazing
Well lets just say that if your obsessed with the series, like I am, then you should defiantly read this short story. Gen is 10 in here and you get a glimpse of his cousins but more we see his brother whom he actually likes :) I had no idea where to get this short story, but I have finally found a way, it's on Megan Whalen Turner's page.
I suggest reading it. I suggest not reading it before you've read the Thief and all the other wonderful books because it's a SPOILER!
Fans of Eugenides: Thief! 4 14 Oct 08, 2013 05:22PM
  • Ferragost (Lumatere Chronicles, #2.5)
  • The Lion Hunter (The Lion Hunters, #4)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • The Princess of Cortova (The Silver Bowl, #3)
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • Thrice Sworn (Winterling, #0.5)
  • A Stranger to Command
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • Whodunit?: Utterly Baffling Detective Stories
  • A Bean, a Stalk and a Boy Named Jack
  • The Magic World
  • Solstice Day Gifts (The Emperor's Edge, #7.5)
  • Gotham Academy #2
  • Praying For Rain (The Lotus War, #0.5)
  • Sam Samurai (Time Warp Trio, #10)
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • The Path of the She Wolf (Forestwife Saga, #3)
  • Bambert's Book of Missing Stories
For those of you who have to write reports for school, I will say that I was born in 1965 and I have siblings, all of them older, which makes me the baby of the family. We had a pet cat when I was growing up. He died a long time ago, but I think he is living his next life with the author of Tithe, Holly Black. I have seen pictures and her White Cat appears too similar for mere coincidence. I moved ...more
More about Megan Whalen Turner...

The Queen's Thief (6 books)
  • The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1)
  • The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • A Conspiracy of Kings (The Queen's Thief, #4)
  • Untitled (The Queen's Thief, #5)
  • Untitled (The Queen's Thief, #6)