Start by marking “Living Beyond Your Feelings: Controlling Emotions So They Don't Control You” as Want to Read:
Living Beyond Your Feelings: Controlling Emotions So They Don't Control You

Living Beyond Your Feelings: Controlling Emotions So They Don't Control You

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  1,014 ratings  ·  92 reviews
The average person has 70,000 thoughts every day, and many of those thoughts trigger a corresponding emotion. No wonder so many of us often feel like we're controlled by our emotions. Our lives would be much improved if we controlled them.

In LIVING BEYOND YOUR FEELINGS, Joyce Meyer examines the gamut of feelings that human beings experience. She discusses the way that the
Published September 6th 2011 by FaithWords (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Living Beyond Your Feelings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Beyond Your Feelings

The World At Large by Adam E. MehaffeyThe Dust by Jonathan LynchBe The Best You Can Be by Michael BThe Last Lecture by Randy PauschThree Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
Most inspiring Nonfiction
207th out of 329 books — 363 voters
The Courage to Heal by Ellen BassThe Courage to Heal Workbook by Laura   DavisAllies in Healing by Laura DavisGoodnight and Thanks for the Vodka by HarpieTrauma and Recovery by Judith Lewis Herman
Resources for Survivors
76th out of 102 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathleen (Kat) Smith
A constant struggle of mine is controlling my feelings. You know, the times when you wish you could just get away from all that life throws at you? We have on average about 70,000 thoughts every day, each one triggering a different emotion. No wonder why it’s such a struggle! I feel like I am, the majority of the time, controlled by my emotions and I wasn’t sure what to do with all the negativity I felt was surrounding me. In Joyce Meyer’s “Living Beyond Your Feelings” I found solace in her empo ...more
Sharon
As science learns more about how our thoughts affect our feelings, books like this one become more important for the average person. While big Pharma wants us to take medications that don't necessarily help and can be very costly, learning how to manage the thought:feeling connection is something that can be done for free.

In this book, Joyce Meyer gives recommendations on how to do just that. She talks about the science behind the thought:feeling connection, and how to reach for a better feeling
Empress5150
I've read a lot of self-help books over the years but I don't remember reading one quite like this; likely because it's the first I've read written by a Bible teacher. I think this was an excellent choice for my "first time!"

I like Meyer's style; straight forward and no nonsense, with a good balance of (wry) humor, personal revelation and old fashioned "stop feeling sorry for yourself and get a move on, you can do it!" It's obvious Meyer is first and foremost a teacher; I did feel at times as th
Tina
Is your day determined by how you feel when you wake up in the morning? In Joyce Meyer’s new book, she encourages people to not let feelings determine if it will be a good day or a bad day. Talking about how you feel increases the intensity of those feelings. Very simply, speak negative things and you’ll feel worse. Talk positively and you’ll feel better. Although it’s okay to talk with others about our concerns, nothing good comes from constantly complaining.

Meyer also warns people against allo
Melba Deoleo
This Joyce Meyer book focuses on helping its readers learn how to control their emotions and not letting them control you, the title of the book pretty much says it all. She discusses things like personality types and she uses lots of personal stories about things that she has overcome, which helps encourage the reader that they can also overcome whatever obstacle they face. She uses the strategy of voice very well in her book, I felt like her voice is heard throughout and it is clear, powerful ...more
Stephanie
So this is what is happening to me lately...My feelings are making me crazy and I am falling away from the good side of life.
This book has pointed me back to the direction of good. I will try ( do more than try) to keep others from infulencing my emotions and decisions.

Thank you Joyce for putting it on paper and helping me understand.
Drake
i don't want or need any book or religion that encourages people not to feel and makes emotions, positive and negative, a BAD thing......if you're religious this book would probalby be useful to u.....but i'm not a robot.
Heather
Great Book, it was really a good book to read to make myself feel better
Alicia
I like this simple and straight-forward book addressing emotions and how to effectively deal with them so that they are not a disruption to your life. Joyce Meyer consistent provides logical conclusions and sound advice for controlling yourself instead of being controlled by yourself. In this particular outing she focuses on how address and move beyond limiting emotions, without denying or ignoring them in your life.

Joyce Meyer illustrates her points with real-life stories from her life and othe
Cindy
From New York Times bestselling author, Joyce Meyer, comes another fabulous and useful read. In this book Joyce breaks down feelings, step by step, in explaining where they come from and how they can affect us.
In part one, she discusses emotions, where they come from, why we are emotional beings, how we get stuck, and behaviors. She identifies the four main personality types and how they influence us.
In part two of the book, she talks about anger,guilt,resentment,depression, and other emotions t
Gail Welborn

“Living Beyond your Feelings,” by bestselling Christian teacher and author Joyce Meyer is for anyone who struggles with controlling emotions, such as fear, anger or failure. Joyce teaches readers to examine, manage and control their emotions instead of their emotions controlling them. She writes “If you are ready to master your emotions, this book is for you.”

She begins with a quote by Jonatan Martensson, who says, “Feelings are much like waves, we can’t stop them from coming, but we can choose
Janet
This is one of the best books that I have never read. I believe that everyone can benefit from what she talks about since everyone has emotions and some sort of past emotional hurt. She is an honest woman and is able to present her point directly and sufficiently. The work that is to be done comes from within and if you are interested in healing and improving yourself, this is definitely the right book for you.
Cathy
I loved this book! If you are an emotional person and you let your emotions control your actions then this book is for you. Joyce gives good examples about how controlling your feelings is so beneficial in life overall. And she talks about the medical perspective of letting your emotions take over your whole being. It's a good read for sure.
Lorna
Although I was not completely in-tune with the author's writing/sharing style, I really appreciated the message of this book. The closing lines are a good summary: "God's desire is that you enjoy the life He has provided for you, and that is impossible to do unless you learn how to control your feelings instead of letting them control you. With God's help, you can do it!" This book offers practical advice on how we can learn to reign in, but not ignore our emotions. For someone who tends to be ...more
laura jeffer
Loved this book

I loved reading this book. I highly recommend reading it.
It's like reading instructions to your heart written by God himself. Great job!
Alicia
I read this book as part of a Bible study. At times it seemed to simplistic, however she does write that she doesn't expect us to change our lives just by reading a book. I got more out of sharing feelings and stories with the other ladies in the group. Sometimes one of them had a different idea about what the author meant about something and that helped me think about differently. My favorite chapters were Handling Loss, Anger, Why is it so Hard to Forgive, How Emotions Affect Our Health, Stres ...more
Khodani Sivhidzho
May 14, 2015 Khodani Sivhidzho rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone out there
it is a nice book to read. it teaches you how to control you emotion, how do you overcome bad/difficult situations, also include where you come from..
Sylvia
What I liked most about this book is the recommendations offered to overcome the various topics. A lot of the same information is in Battlefield of the Mind.
Katrin
Real good book and gave good examples. The only one thing it did miss how to forgive someone that was passed on.
J00nyer
Amazing book, nice to have it readily available whenever I need to apply the work to my daily life.
Kelley Cole
Great book! I personally got a lot out of it!
I already knew and try to use alot of the strategies and thought processes this book offers. But it was great to read about it all and re-familarize myself with it. And most importantly to let go and remind myself that although I can't change the past or how I feel, but that I can choose the way act about it. I love how Joyce always gets to the point and makes things simple to understand. Many books seem to give good details-but they rarely ever put things simply so that you GET IT without havei ...more
Lauren Sampson
I have loved every Joyce Meyers book that I've ever read. Practical, encouraging and convicting all at once! Battlefield Of The Mind is still my favorite one of hers though.
Lisa
I hated for the book to end. It was filled with excellent points that made me stop and think, yeah I do that or feel that way sometimes. Great self help book.
Carla Still
Another excellent book by Joyce Meyer on how to manage our feelings and emotions. Feelings affect our thoughts and our health. She explains how our thoughts and feelings can follow our actions. We don't have to wait and see what we feel like doing. We can learn to be Spirit-controlled and not let our emotions control us. Sometimes we have to have talks with ourselves as we parent the emotions. As always, she supplies Scripture. This is definitely another book to review ever so often.
Cherish
Brilliant all the way through.
Chelsea DeVries
This book really opened my eyes to the fact that I really need help managing my emotions and not only that, it showed me how to manage them emotion by emotion.
Melissa Michelle
Amazing! This book has transformed my life for the better! It was a great read and I would recommend to anyone!
Meatsrus
I enjoyed her thought provoking references about our feelings and the Bible. Sharing from her own experiences helped me to understand my own mistakes in handling my feelings.

Feelings are such a large part of who we have evolved to become. However, they should not be the final word. Turning to God's Word will fulfill our lives and not permitting our feelings to run our lives. Feelings are necessary, but, they should not overtake us.

Chris
I love hearing Joyce Meyer speak and reading books she has written. A survivor of childhood sexual abuse by her father, Joyce writes about the power replacing negative reactions with pro-actions, the influence of our thoughts on emotions, and the healing power of forgiveness and God's love. She a number of personal experiences about her recovery and shows the reader how to become happier and experience greater peace of mind.
  • Every Day a Friday: How to Be Happier 7 Days a Week
  • You Are Made for More!: How to Become All You Were Created to Be
  • What Is He Thinking??: What Guys Want Us to Know About Dating, Love, and Marriage
  • The Ultimate Conversation
  • Mended: Pieces of a Life Made Whole
  • Beyond Heaven's Door
  • Saying It Well: Touching Others with Your Words
  • God Girl: Becoming the Woman You're Meant to Be
  • The Sacred Year: Mapping the Soulscape of Spiritual Practice -- How Contemplating Apples, Living in a Cave, and Befriending a Dying Woman Revived My Life
  • God's Power to Change Your Life
  • One in a Million: Journey to Your Promised Land
  • 17 Lies That Are Holding You Back and the Truth That Will Set You Free
  • Encountering Heaven and the Afterlife
  • I Never Thought I'd See the Day!: Culture at the Crossroads
  • Love Your Life: Living Happy, Healthy, and Whole
  • God on the Streets of Gotham: What the Big Screen Batman Can Teach Us about God and Ourselves
  • Everything: What You Give and What You Gain to Become Like Jesus
  • The Storm Inside: Trade the Chaos of How You Feel for the Truth of Who You Are
JOYCE MEYER is one of the world's leading practical Bible teachers. A #1 New York Times bestselling author, she has written more than seventy inspirational books, including The Confident Woman, Look Great, Feel Great, and the entire Battlefield of the Mind family of books. She has also released thousands of audio teachings as well as a complete video library. Joyce's Enjoying Everyday Life radio a ...more
More about Joyce Meyer...
Battlefield Of The Mind: Winning The Battle In Your Mind Me and My Big Mouth!: Your Answer is Right Under Your Nose The Confident Woman: Start Today Living Boldly and Without Fear Approval Addiction: Overcoming Your Need to Please Everyone The Penny

“I learned that what happened to me did not have to define who I was. My past could not control my future unless I allowed it to.” 32 likes
“Our feelings are unreliable and cannot be trusted to convey truth.” 23 likes