Start by marking “Lily Mine” as Want to Read:
Lily Mine

Lily Mine

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  812 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
When Lily wends her way down the country lane to Lilyvale Manor, she hopes the coincidence of names bodes well, for she is in dire straits. She's been disowned by her London family and finds herself desperately in need of a job.

Lord Ashbourne is equally at ends, his fiance having jilted him for a commoner and run off to the Continent. Her powerful society family is determi
Nook, 1st, 165 pages
Published June 30th 2011 by Scarlet Rose Press

To ask other readers questions about Lily Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lily Mine

ൠSinful
I read a lot of romance. Historical isn't typically my thang at all. It's the rare book that stands up and captures my interest, setting itself apart as something unique and intriguing.

Lily Mine by Annabel Joseph does just that.

Lily disgraced her family and had been cast out. She'd run out of money and strength to walk when she saw a sign. Literally. A sign.... for Lilyvale Manor.
Okay. If I was out of money, had walked farther than my legs were actually capable of carrying me and I saw a sign
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Oct 19, 2013 Kagama-the Literaturevixen rated it did not like it
After reading Disciplining the Duchess and actually finding it good despite the...ermm well ya know. I thought I would give another one of the authors books a chance.

But it was pretty much a mess.Maybe DtD had some slight weakness in its historical scenario aspect but the relationship between the H and h made up for it.

But this one actually wants to sell me the idea of a woman applying for a typical male occupation (in the regency era nevertheless) as its no big deal.

Suspension of belief failed
Isabel
Apr 13, 2013 Isabel rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of historical erotic romances, and this one was a very good surprise. It has my favorite topics in erotic books: kinky sex, BDSM and love... The spankings and the kinky sex were very hot and exciting. James leads Lily for his erotic world, educating her in BDSM in a sweet and tender way. I really enjoy this book...
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Megan
Oct 26, 2011 Megan rated it liked it
After spending years assisting her father as a gardener, Lily is kicked out of her home and away from her family for having the misfortune of being raped by the son of her family's employer. She trudges through the countryside, alone and desperate, searching for gardening work, until she's drawn by the name Lilyvale Manor. Its owner, Lord Ashbourne, is the one left gobsmacked, however, because it turns out this humble young woman looking for work bears more than a striking resemblance to his wif ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I'm not a huge fan of historical erotic romances. This one is by an author I do like, Ms. Joseph. I think this is my favourite book of hers that I have read so far to date. I really liked BOTH characters. Lily was so sweet and innocent. She worked against all odds and never really gave up. I liked that about her. She wasn't super strong or even super intelligent. She did have perseverance which I admire.

James is nice and dreamy, just how I like my historical heroes. He's much sweeter than I ant
Cyn Mistress Kitty
I really liked this BDSM historical story.
The hero was a little bit of a sadist but for the most part, he was a very kind, caring man.
This couple was perfect together however, this story was unrealistic and far fetched. I was able to overlook that and enjoy the book.
Meliana
Lily Kendall diusir oleh ayahnya karena telah membuat aib bagi keluarga dan membuat ayahnya kehilangan pekerjaan sebagai gardener. Lily pun pergi menyusuri jalan dan sampai ke Lilyvale dan berharap dia bisa memperoleh pekerjaan sebagai gardener dengan pengetahuan yang dia miliki. Tak disangka dia diantar langsung menemui Lord pemilik tanah dan diterima bekerja di sana dengan gaji yang cukup tinggi.
Lord Ashbourne begitu kaget ketika melihat gadis yang begitu mirip dengan istrinya yang kabur, Lil
Monique
Jul 18, 2011 Monique rated it really liked it
Annabel Joseph’s latest novel, Lily Mine is a historical fantasy that takes place in England during the mid 1820’s. Twenty-one year old, Lily Kendall has just been disowned by her father for an indiscretion that has caused him to lose his job. Lily makes her way from London to the English countryside to seek employment as a gardener. Her dream is to one day have her own greenhouse and flower shop. After turning down several offers of housekeeping work she is directed deeper into the countryside ...more
LoveRomance
Jul 15, 2011 LoveRomance rated it liked it
Shelves: erotica, historical
Annabel Joseph is an "auto-buy" author for me. My favorite book of hers is Comfort Object, a very hot D/s contemporary romance. If that is what you are expecting when you start reading Lily Mine, you will be disappointed or confused. Joseph's newest release is first and foremost a sweet historical romance. Yes, the character Lily is naturally submissive and quickly learns to enjoy mild bondage and discipline, but that is all very secondary to the primary story about two lost souls finding each o ...more
Kate
Nov 25, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
It should be said that I typically do not read within the genre. However, the idea of a Regency erotic romance fit in nicely with my recent movie marathons. Lily Mine is very romantic and sweet with some kink. I read this book in three sittings -- the last half in one night. Way past my bedtime.

Lily herself is charming, naive about sexuality and upper class behavior while being experienced in working in a garden (from her father's business). The garden business is what ultimately brings her to J
Milena Benini
Jun 22, 2012 Milena Benini rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, historicals
I've put this on my historicals shelf even though, in all honesty, it shouldn't sit there. I've read quite a few wallpaper-historicals in my time, but this isn't even wallpaper; it's stick-a-piece-of-scotch-tape-over-that-giant-hole-in-the-wall-and-hope-nobody-notices-historical, but that's too long for a shelf name. Not even dress descriptions give an idea of the period, the modes of thinking, behaviour and address are so off-mark my daughter would have got more stuff right just by accident, an ...more
Emily
Aug 09, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Raised as a gardeners daughter, Lily was thrown out of her family when the families son took liberties she had not wished upon herself but had no choice in the matter. Finding herself on the road to Lilyvale Manor, Lily is hoping to find a position as a gardener with goals in mind to live her life proudly instead of a less desirable path.

Lord Ashbourne is not sure what to think of the woman before him, her uncanny resemblance to the woman who was supposed to be his wife disturbs him, but their i
Sue Lyndon
This is one of the best books I've read in a while. After reading it, I immediately bought a few more titles by this author, that's how much I liked it. Lily Mine held my interest from the first page to the very last. I've never read a historical romance with BDSM in it before, and I must say, I really liked how it was portrayed in such a loving way. Lily and James are thrown together into convienent but challenging circumstances and must fight the immediate attraction they feel towards one anot ...more
Writer
Apr 19, 2013 Writer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
BDSM in the early 1800'S ? hmm...you'll be surprised!, March 27, 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase

This review is from: Lily Mine: A Historical Fantasy (Kindle Edition)
I have read quite a lot of historical books, as a matter of fact that's how I got started and got hooked in reading historical romance and Gothic novels written by such as great authors as the likes of Mary Stewart, Victoria Holt, Daphne Du Maurier just to name a few and they all vary in story plots and are equally great. But this, this
Chanse Lowell
Sep 24, 2013 Chanse Lowell rated it really liked it
I'm torn between giving this one 3 or 4 stars. I'm going to go with 4 because I really love Annabel Joseph's writing style. The story line was good, but the dialogue was pretty flat through most of this. I guess my biggest issue was I kept comparing it to Disciplining the Duchess, which I was so obsessed with, I couldn't stop thinking about and talking about for a few days.

I will say though that it was great that she didn't just write the same characters in a different story. James couldn't have
Min
Jun 01, 2012 Min rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
LOL. this book was so bad it made me laugh. the author couldn't even keep track of whether or not the H was abandoned by his fiancee or his wife. first, the woman ran away weeks BEFORE the actual wedding. then, there was an actual marriage that got annulled (which seems to imply the secret is no longer a secret). she's referred to as "Lady Ashbourne" by the servants and there are constant reminders that she might return at any minute to take her place as his wife. and if she did run away before ...more
Dar
Jul 01, 2013 Dar rated it really liked it
I'm torn between 3 and 4 stars, so I'll go with 3.5 and round up to 4, because while I liked the book, I didn't really like it, but I more than just liked it
The story was interesting enough, poor, disgraced and disowned gardeners daughter resembles Earl's runaway wife, so so poses as her to stop the disgrace of his name and wife's younger daughter. They enter into it innocently enough, but, this is an erotic book, so bedroom activities commence. I admit, I went off to read another book in the mi
Nikki
Jun 29, 2016 Nikki added it
Well that escalated quickly. The story starts out normal then a few chapters in bam change. It was like a different author came in and took over. The btsm didn't really fit in this story. The characters felt like they wanted to be more but where less then what the author would let them be. I did like the answer for why the heroine looked like another woman. The heroine's reaction to trama didn't make any sort of sense to me.
SimplyyFrankie
Oct 13, 2013 SimplyyFrankie rated it did not like it
Character development is practically nonexistent, and the plot is very rushed. The writing is really, really bad, and as hard as I tried to overlook it, it overshadows the story. I suspect this was the author's first foray into writing, because the writing in Disciplining the Duchess isn't nearly as bad. Here's an example from page 121 of the book:

"The problem is that…" Chew, chew, chew. She waited anxiously to hear what the problem was. He finally swallowed and looked at her with gravity. "The
Michelle
Feb 01, 2014 Michelle rated it did not like it
I had original labeled this a DNF and stopped at roughly 37% but after being undecided on what to read next! I trudged through it. I just could never click with the characters or story. The sex scenes were steamy but even that didn't save the book for me. This was my 3rd attempt at an Annabel Joseph book. I don't think I will read any more of her historical romances.
Monica
I didn't realize this was a BDSM book until I got into it. BDSM is overdone right now and NOT something I think should be tolerated in real life. However it was very light BDSM and the author is a good writer so this gets a 3.5.
Marsha Wright
Nov 05, 2014 Marsha Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you, Annabel Joseph!

This was Great story, some twists and turns, but overall good reading. Not very familiar with punishment sex, but there are all kinds of fetishes in the world. Learn something new everyday.
Angela
Feb 22, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it
I was surprised, pleasantly so. You see, I had read Mercy and on some level I liked the story. However, I am not one for the name calling and harshness of the relationship left me wanting. I understand it is what those characters needed and wanted for their relationship it just kinda made me cringe a little.

So you see when I picked up Lily Mine I was unexpectedly surprised by the gentleness of this relationship. This story, Lily Mine was simply beautiful. The development of the relationship was
Lee
Nov 18, 2011 Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
[3.5 STARS]

The idea of the storyline is intriguing, but:
1) The length of the story is too short. There's not enough room to lead one event to the next. And definitely not enough room for any character development.

2) I had a hard time imaging the two characters, Lily and James, to fall in love since there were too much explaining instead of showing. I couldn't get into their characters and appreciate what could have been there.

3) The intimacies between Lily and James just didn't do it for me. To
IkeaGoddess
Jul 19, 2015 IkeaGoddess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, spanking
Interesting story with a twist I didn't expect. But the best was the romance and the quite explicit sex scenes with lots of spanking and bondage. Definitely my cup of tea.
BITE ME
Mar 09, 2012 BITE ME rated it it was amazing
OMG I LOVE THIS BOOK IN EVERY WAY

LILY IS RUIND BY HER FORMER EMPLOYER SON I

WHEN HER FATHER IS FIRED FOR HIS DAUGHTER SUPPOSEDLY LET HIM HAVE HER AT HIS WILL HER FATHER IS DESECRATED SO HE THROWS HER OUT AND DES ONES HER SO SHE HEADS OFF TO THE COUNTRY SIDE OF LONDON TO FIND A JOB SHE SOON FINDS HER SELF IN LILYFIELD I THINK IT WAS CALD THAT IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN ANY WAY SHE DOSENT NOW THAT WHEN SHE ARIVES THERE LOOKING FOR WORK AS A GARDENER OF SORTS HER HOLE WORL CHANGES FOR THE GOOD THIS IS A M
Kimberly Michelle
Jul 16, 2014 Kimberly Michelle rated it it was amazing
loved it!
Keri
Oct 29, 2011 Keri rated it really liked it
I really appreciate when the hero and heroine admit their feelings for each other without all the posturing and denial drama. This couple met, grew fond of each other, became friends and then were able to admit their attraction for each other. I like that. They didn't lie and when asked a question they gave real answers. THANK YOU! This book wasn't too long but it developed nicely and boy can Ms. Joseph write a hot scene! Every book I've read by this author has been great.
The "ton" 1 4 Apr 06, 2016 08:45PM
  • Pleasing the Colonel
  • Shana's Guardian
  • So Sensitive (Hard to Get, #1)
  • Into His Keeping
  • Black Silk (Rodesson's Daughters, #2)
  • Love Revealed (The Market #1)
  • Nothing Denied (Albright Sisters, #3)
  • Badcock
  • The King's Pleasure
  • A Measured Risk (Regency Risks, #1)
  • Iron Dominance (Steamwork Chronicles, #1)
  • The Unrequited Dom
  • Thornhill's Dilemma
  • Guardian Domination
  • The Dom of My Dreams
  • The New Girl (Fantasy Heights, #2)
  • Her Rogue Knight
  • Owning Arabella
Annabel Joseph is a NYT and USA Today bestselling BDSM erotic romance author. She writes mainly contemporary romance, although she has been known to dabble in the medieval and Regency eras. She is recognized for writing emotionally intense BDSM storylines, and strives to create characters that seem real--even flawed--so readers are better able to relate to them.

Annabel publishes with Ellora's Cav
More about Annabel Joseph...

“They stopped and bowed their heads close together as the revelers ate and danced and celebrated around the glow of the fire. Darkness was falling over Lilyvale, the pink horizon a glorious and unusual marvel.

Lily and James hardly noticed, lost as they were in the preciousness of the moment. "Lily mine," James whispered. "We're finally home.”
1 likes