Start by marking “Another Song about the King” as Want to Read:
Another Song about the King

Another Song about the King

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In this stunning novel, a mother's desperate desire to be somebody, fueled by the memory of a date she once had with Elvis, provokes an intense rivalry with her daughter.

Silvie Page, determined to escape the control and frustrations of her mother, has started her own life--she's moved to New York, gotten a job in publishing, met a wonderful man. Still, her entangled and c
Published March 7th 2000 by Random House Trade (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Another Song about the King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Song about the King

Mick Glasgow
This book is written by my sister Kathryn! It artfully fictionalizes some parts of life I am very familiar with....Check it out!
Toni
This book started out and ended up strong. In between, not so much. I really don't think the author had good guidance from her editor about how to handle the material. I'm as much a sucker as anyone for a crazy Southern mother story and the whole dying mother-unresolved daughter tension, but it just didn't hang together right in this case. Mark on in the bad choice category. I slogged my way through because of the time I'd invested in it. Not a recommendation.
Ms. B
Silvie and her mother who once dated Elvis, have never seen eye to eye. Instead of calling her, "Mom," she calls her, "Mimi." Silvie, now 26, has moved from Michigan to Manhattan and is starting to find her own place in the world when she receives a call from her "Mimi." "Mimi" is dying of cancer at 46. Can Silvie and her mother reconcile their differences in this touching story about losing a parent when you are not much older than a child yourself?
Kim Whitley-Gaynor
I loved this book, but it was painful to read, not because the writing was terrible. Quite the opposite! The writing was terrific. It's just that the story reminded me SO MUCH of a very narcissistic female figure in my life.

Highly recommended.
Page
A moving account of a mother-daughter relationship by a very descriptive and perceptive writer. She happens to be my daughter so my comments may be discounted accordingly.
Weezy805
a story about a mother and daughter and the mother loving Elvis and her daughter needing attention from her mother and not getting it.
Mel Brutger
Mel Brutger marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Emma-leigh
Emma-leigh marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Kim Khaty
Kim Khaty marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Grettel
Grettel marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
Stevi
Stevi marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2012
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

“The leaving happened slowly, gradually, as these things do, and before we knew it, we were lost to each other, as if a magician had whisked a cloth off the table, leaving the dishes there, jolted. And when we looked back it was all a blur, time on fast forward, hurtling to an inevitable conclusion.” 7 likes