Start by marking “Another Song about the King” as Want to Read:
Another Song about the King

Another Song about the King

In this stunning novel, a mother's desperate desire to be somebody, fueled by the memory of a date she once had with Elvis, provokes an intense rivalry with her daughter.

Silvie Page, determined to escape the control and frustrations of her mother, has started her own life--she's moved to New York, gotten a job in publishing, met a wonderful man. Still, her entangled and c
Published March 7th 2000 by Random House Trade (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Another Song about the King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Song about the King

Suzanne
Apr 06, 2015 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read for any mother or daughter. One you will remember for a long time!
I love the way this author uses such descriptive phrases and alliterative so to enhance the story!
A great story of the relationship between a mother and daughter. No matter how weird or different a mother might seem during her daughter's upbringing, there is almost always an underlying story that will be appreciated as each of them mature.
I love this author's writing style, and will definitely look for more from her!
Mick Glasgow
Apr 15, 2009 Mick Glasgow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is written by my sister Kathryn! It artfully fictionalizes some parts of life I am very familiar with....Check it out!
Ms. B
Aug 09, 2011 Ms. B rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, broads, 2011
Silvie and her mother who once dated Elvis, have never seen eye to eye. Instead of calling her, "Mom," she calls her, "Mimi." Silvie, now 26, has moved from Michigan to Manhattan and is starting to find her own place in the world when she receives a call from her "Mimi." "Mimi" is dying of cancer at 46. Can Silvie and her mother reconcile their differences in this touching story about losing a parent when you are not much older than a child yourself?
Kim Whitley-Gaynor
Jul 01, 2012 Kim Whitley-Gaynor rated it really liked it
I loved this book, but it was painful to read, not because the writing was terrible. Quite the opposite! The writing was terrific. It's just that the story reminded me SO MUCH of a very narcissistic female figure in my life.

Highly recommended.
Weezy805
Jul 29, 2011 Weezy805 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a story about a mother and daughter and the mother loving Elvis and her daughter needing attention from her mother and not getting it.
Toni
Nov 28, 2009 Toni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book started out and ended up strong. In between, not so much. I really don't think the author had good guidance from her editor about how to handle the material. I'm as much a sucker as anyone for a crazy Southern mother story and the whole dying mother-unresolved daughter tension, but it just didn't hang together right in this case. Mark on in the bad choice category. I slogged my way through because of the time I'd invested in it. Not a recommendation.
Michelle
Jul 02, 2012 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay book.
Page
A moving account of a mother-daughter relationship by a very descriptive and perceptive writer. She happens to be my daughter so my comments may be discounted accordingly.
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2012
Dani at Novelfly
Dani at Novelfly rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Latedrops
Latedrops rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2013
Deb Salamon
Deb Salamon rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2013
Jannette Allen
Jannette Allen rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2015
BookGirlTravels  Cara
BookGirlTravels Cara rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Susan Norcross
Susan Norcross rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2013
Temma Boss
Temma Boss rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2015
Patriciafoltz
Patriciafoltz rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it did not like it
Apr 11, 2010
Jana
Jana rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2010
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2007
Shelley
Shelley rated it it was ok
Jun 11, 2016
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2011
Niki
Niki rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2013
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
May 19, 2012
Karen White
Mar 19, 2012 Karen White rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2009
Glenda Burchett
Glenda Burchett rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2010
Jody
Jody rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2009
Sunshine
Sunshine rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2012

“The leaving happened slowly, gradually, as these things do, and before we knew it, we were lost to each other, as if a magician had whisked a cloth off the table, leaving the dishes there, jolted. And when we looked back it was all a blur, time on fast forward, hurtling to an inevitable conclusion.” 8 likes