Start by marking “Some Dogs Do” as Want to Read:
Some Dogs Do

Some Dogs Do

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  88 reviews
In the inimitable world of the creator of the bestselling Hug and Where's My Teddy?, some dogs do fly--and little pups everywhere are encouraged to dream big. Full color.
Published September 15th 2003 by Candlewick Press (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Some Dogs Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Dogs Do

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner
Voices & Sounds - Best Read Alouds for Young Children
107th out of 387 books — 423 voters
A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronIf I Should Die Before My Dog -- by Joe ConnollyThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinMarley and Me by John GroganThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Dog Lovers
225th out of 361 books — 418 voters

More lists with this book...

Cathy
'When Sid set off for School one day, a happy feeling came his way.' A happy feeling comes my way too every time I read this story. This beautifully illustrated book 'Some Dogs Do' tells the story of Sid as he literally soars with happiness. However he looses his ability to fly when he looses self belief. 'Miss Mare the teacher shook her head. 'Now Sid you shouldn't lie she said'..dogs don't fly - it can't be done.' Thankfully an understanding Dad is on hand to help.

This charming book begs to be
Big Book Little Book
This is a heart-warming story of a little dog named Sid who from sheer happiness manages to fly to school one day. Once there no-one will believe him and his happiness quickly disappears. Back at home his Dad shows a loving concern for his sons’ unhappiness, which is quickly dispersed when a secret is revealed!

The story is very entertaining, with a fun bouncy rhyme and repetition to enthrall and engage the participation of your audience.

My son always follows the story, repeating crucial points
Jawaher Mirza
One day Sid the dog discovers he can fly and he excitedly tells everyone at school. He is met with ridicule by his friends and reprimand by his teacher. When asked to prove it, Sid tries hard but he cannot fly anymore. Unhappy and deflated he slowly walks back home after school. At home his parents, realising something was amiss, let him in on a “secret”- some dogs do fly!

Cleverly written in rhyme, it is a simple story with a very strong message- always believing in ourselves and never giving up
Gemma
Some Dogs Do is a lovely rhyming story where Sid discovers he can fly. Deflated from his friends belief that he is lying about his flying experience Sid is cheered up when his Dad shares his secret. It is a story which childrens imagion can be encouraged as well as set in contexts which children can also relate to.Jez Alborough writes and creates the illustrations for this book. Illustrations are inviting, colourful and expressive all of which will encourage children to return to this book time ...more
Brittany Long
This cute little story is full of fun rhymes and an inspirational message to continue to believe in yourself even when no one else does. This book would be great as a read aloud before a poetry lesson or a lesson that explores fiction vs. nonfiction. A large group activity for the fiction/nonfiction lesson would be to create a chart and have the students list what dogs can realistically do and what they would not be capable of doing.
Laura Cope
One day, on his way to school, a young dog called Sid has a sudden, overwhelming surge of happiness. Such a surge, in fact, that he begins to feel his feet lifting off the ground, and before he knows it, he's floating through the air! When Sid gets to school, he can't wait to tell all of his friends about his adventure, only to find that when he tells them, they just laugh at him, telling him that dogs don't fly. Sid goes home feeling very, blue, but when he tells his dad what happened, he is ve ...more
Heidi
My favorite thing in this book is the illustrations. The dogs are so cute! And I really like the ending. The rhyming helps the story flow along. And if the children liked the cows flying, then I think they'll love the dogs flying.

3/31/10 & 4/1/10 The children in both preschool groups enjoyed this book. Even with few words to a page, the book still takes some time to get through. They loved looking at the pictures, and I think the way the rhyming was used it held their attention. Neither grou
Leo
Some Dogs Do is a book written and illustrated by Jez Aldborough about a dog called Sid who discovers he can fly. Amazed and excited about his discovery, he runs to school to inform his friends, but is mocked and derided by them and told by his teacher ‘dogs don’t fly!’ When he is unable to display the feat in front of them all, he is left feeling sad and depressed, and returns home to sit alone in his garden. He is joined by his dad who asks him what is wrong and Sid explains what happened at s ...more
Noreen Butt
Sid is a dog and when he sets off to school; he is so happy that he finds himself flying. When he gets to school, he tells all the other dogs that he flew to school. They all laugh at him. Even his teacher says “you shouldn’t lie.” So she explains to him that dogs, walk, jump and run only and not fly. So he tries to fly again outside the school with others watching him, but no such luck, he falls on his face. Sid walks home upset. His dad reveals a secret to him and shows him that he can fly. So ...more
Russell
Not quite iambic pentameter, but the poetic rhyming of the story pulls you in to the plight of Sid. (view spoiler)
Tiffany Pitts
Sid knew all dogs could walk, jump and run. But dogs don't fly. Or can they? Sid is a dog full of hope, motivation and persistence. He believes he can accomplish something that most do not think he can. In the face of disbelief, teasing and taunting, Sid is determined to prove that miracles can and do happen.

The author used rhyming as a writing craft that allows readers to easily engage in the story. This craft was used well because the rhymes fit seamlessly and allowed the story to move forwar
Angela Moorer
While I was reading this book, I heard the voices of so many children that have insane things happen to them. And although they know their stories may sound farfetched, they just want to be believed. As a teacher, we'll hear all types of crazy stuff and it's not for us to judge the validity of the things we are told. I like that this book is written in a simple rhyme that all students can understand. This text is very relatable and can be used to help students understand the fact of weird happen ...more
Rebecca Andrews

The story is about a dog called Sid. On his walk to school one day, when a happy feeling comes across him and he starts to fly! When he arrives at school he tells his friends and teacher; however he's accused of lying. This leaves Sid feeling sad, but when his Dad shares a secret with him later that night, Sid realises he is not alone after all.

This book teaches us to believe in ourselves and not to let people bring you down. It shows that anything is possible and to stand strong behind what you
Library Quine
A fun rhyming story of a young dog who flies to school, where nobody believes that he did. His dad believes him though, because ... Well, you'll have to read the book to find out why! It's a great opportunity to discuss what is real and what is not, and to talk about imagination and the power of positive thinking.
Awards: Baby Book of the MonthBaby & You

2006 Beehive Book Award Children’s Literature Association of Utah

Gold Star Norfolk Libraries Children’s Book Award

Red House Children’s Book
Amanda
Cute story and DS seemed to enjoy it (not "read it again" enjoy it, but smile at the end enjoy it). It's a little silly and no attempt to explain why Sid was able to fly, which I think could've been easy to make as in: he was floating on air because he was happy, etc. Sometimes it seems we don't give kids enough credit for their understanding. They understand and can grow to understand plenty if we give them the opportunity, I think. Anyway, the rhyme and story are nice enough, but this is one t ...more
Mar 02, 2014 Sarah added it
Stories & Songs: Dogs
Sharon
May 02, 2013 Sharon added it
Sid the dog is overcome with excitement when he realises he can fly. He tells all his friends at school but nobody believes him, not ever his teacher. Sid sadly fails to prove it and is left feeling embarrassed in front of all his class. When Sid returns home feeling crushed, his father tells him the greatest secret of all, that some dogs do fly! Suitable for circle time in nursery and Reception and for independent reading in year1. Lovely illustrations and the book also has a supporting CD-Rom. ...more
Renae Williams
I like the creative use of pictures and text this author uses in this book. We all love reading books that feature cute dogs, but this book has a greater meaning behind it. It shows that anything is possible and to stand behind what you beleive in. I would use this book when teaching about fiction and nonfiction or real/unreal. Also you could use it to start off a creative writing prompt "If you could fly where would you go?..."Who would you tell?" etc.
Steph
I love this book. I think I read it at a particularly tender time. I was trying to make friends in a new city and receiving some cold shoulders because of my religion. I felt like people wouldn't even try to get to know me because they thought that Mormons were ridiculous. I really related to Sid, who learned to believe in himself even when others didn't.

(and don't get all teary for me. . . soon after that I met Angie, the best and truest of friends.)
Christy
One day, when Sid is walking to school, he suddenly gets a happy feeling. In fact, he feels so happy that his paws lift off the ground, and he floats right up to the sky! He can’t wait to tell his friends at school, but of course they don’t believe him. "Don’t be daft," scoffs Ben. "You’re a dog, and dogs don’t fly." Even Sid’s teacher shakes her head at him. Now Sid is one unhappy little pup. Can anything ever get him flying high again?

Believe in yourself.
Ealthafer
Some Dogs Do is a simple read that is quite inspiring. This book teaches to believe in yourself and don't let people bring you down. The illustrations in this book are very cute and also neat in the way the illustrator places the pictures. The illustrator splits multiple pictures up and puts them on one page to show time elapsing. This book would also be good to teach the craft of rhyming.
Mary
This is the story of a dog who can fly and how he is made fun of because others believe that it isn’t possible. When he gets home, his father shows him that he can fly, too, and they fly together. Sometimes, other people try to put you down because something is different or they don’t understand it, but when you have people around you who care, all is well in the world.
Michael
I'm almost afraid to give this a high rating, because my daughter has been telling me she can secretly fly ever since she read this book about the dogs that can secretly fly. But I suppose it's no harm to confuse imagination with reality at 3 years old. Or is the author trying to make a metaphor for dreams?? Anyway, it sure would be nice to have a secret like this!
Betty Kim
The dog flew to the school, but his friend did not believe him. However, he found out that his father also can fly and find his confidence and fly with his father. in real life there is no flying dogs. Therefore, students can learn about imagination that we can think of even though it cannot happen in real life.
Mimo
Sep 08, 2007 Mimo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Preschoolers and their adults
Shelves: easy-kids
I love Jez Alborough's books and just came across this one for the first time. Sid is a young pup who discovers he can fly. Trouble is, no one believes him. Rhyming text ("but I did, I did said Sid" is a common refrain) and large colorful pictures make me suspect that this will be a great one for storytimes.
Nicole
We just pulled this off the shelf at the library. It's a nice rhyming story about a dog who believes he can fly. The illustrations are bright and cheerful and the story encourages you to believe in yourself. The one drawback is that it wasn't completely clear how the dog could fly, though it was implied.
Amy Olson
This book can be used for code breaking- understanding what you are reading. Rhyming words are another concentration in this book; incorporating this book into a mini lesson is simple. Students can write down their rhyming word and then they have to find their partner that is in the same word family.
Sarah Kasper
"Some Dogs Do" is a good book to add to your library for 1st or 2nd graders. They should be able to read this book independently. As a read-aloud, you could ask your students to raise their hands every time they hear two words that rhyme since there are many rhyming words throughout the story.
Jen
Sid is walking to school one day when a happy feeling comes across him and he starts to fly! When he shares this information at school with his friends, he's accused of lying. When Dad shares a secret with him later that night, Sid realizes he isn't so alone after all. Great illustrations!
Jessica Lee
It's a heart warming story about the bond between a father and a son. Well, because I am an English teacher (English as Second Language), I will also say it's an excellent book to introduce the concept of 'substitution' (e.g. 'do' and 'don't') as a cohesive device to young children.
  • More Bears!
  • The Book That Eats People
  • Help Me, Mr. Mutt!: Expert Answers for Dogs with People Problems
  • Duck Soup
  • Hooray For Fish!
Jez Alborough is the author-illustrator of the picture-book charmer HUG, his first book about Bobo. He has also created many other celebrated books for children, including SOME DOGS DO — a story about a dog who can fly — and the best-selling Eddie and the Bear books: WHERE'S MY TEDDY?, IT'S THE BEAR!, and MY FRIEND BEAR. Of TALL, he says, "Bobo experiences feeling small as well as feeling tall, bu ...more
More about Jez Alborough...
Where's My Teddy? Hug Duck in the Truck It's the Bear! Fix It Duck