Start by marking “Some Dogs Do” as Want to Read:
Some Dogs Do

Some Dogs Do

In the inimitable world of Jez Alborough, some dogs do fly - and little pups everywhere are encouraged to dream big.

Do dogs fly?
Is it true?

Published September 15th 2003 by Candlewick Press (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Some Dogs Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Dogs Do

Cathy
Sep 09, 2011 Cathy rated it it was amazing
'When Sid set off for School one day, a happy feeling came his way.' A happy feeling comes my way too every time I read this story. This beautifully illustrated book 'Some Dogs Do' tells the story of Sid as he literally soars with happiness. However he looses his ability to fly when he looses self belief. 'Miss Mare the teacher shook her head. 'Now Sid you shouldn't lie she said'..dogs don't fly - it can't be done.' Thankfully an understanding Dad is on hand to help.

This charming book begs to be
Big Book Little Book
Jul 26, 2011 Big Book Little Book rated it it was amazing
This is a heart-warming story of a little dog named Sid who from sheer happiness manages to fly to school one day. Once there no-one will believe him and his happiness quickly disappears. Back at home his Dad shows a loving concern for his sons’ unhappiness, which is quickly dispersed when a secret is revealed!

The story is very entertaining, with a fun bouncy rhyme and repetition to enthrall and engage the participation of your audience.

My son always follows the story, repeating crucial points
Jawaher Mirza
Apr 28, 2013 Jawaher Mirza rated it it was amazing
One day Sid the dog discovers he can fly and he excitedly tells everyone at school. He is met with ridicule by his friends and reprimand by his teacher. When asked to prove it, Sid tries hard but he cannot fly anymore. Unhappy and deflated he slowly walks back home after school. At home his parents, realising something was amiss, let him in on a “secret”- some dogs do fly!

Cleverly written in rhyme, it is a simple story with a very strong message- always believing in ourselves and never giving up
Gemma
May 08, 2012 Gemma rated it really liked it
Some Dogs Do is a lovely rhyming story where Sid discovers he can fly. Deflated from his friends belief that he is lying about his flying experience Sid is cheered up when his Dad shares his secret. It is a story which childrens imagion can be encouraged as well as set in contexts which children can also relate to.Jez Alborough writes and creates the illustrations for this book. Illustrations are inviting, colourful and expressive all of which will encourage children to return to this book time ...more
Brittany Long
Jun 25, 2013 Brittany Long rated it really liked it
This cute little story is full of fun rhymes and an inspirational message to continue to believe in yourself even when no one else does. This book would be great as a read aloud before a poetry lesson or a lesson that explores fiction vs. nonfiction. A large group activity for the fiction/nonfiction lesson would be to create a chart and have the students list what dogs can realistically do and what they would not be capable of doing.
Thomas Edmund
Dec 30, 2016 Thomas Edmund rated it it was amazing
Believe it or not I can recite this book from start to finish, its a good thing its a great story with good rhythm and rhyming. Again with all the best children's book the moral seems a little unclear, you can only get high at home with mum and dad?
Noreen Butt
Aug 29, 2012 Noreen Butt rated it really liked it
Sid is a dog and when he sets off to school; he is so happy that he finds himself flying. When he gets to school, he tells all the other dogs that he flew to school. They all laugh at him. Even his teacher says “you shouldn’t lie.” So she explains to him that dogs, walk, jump and run only and not fly. So he tries to fly again outside the school with others watching him, but no such luck, he falls on his face. Sid walks home upset. His dad reveals a secret to him and shows him that he can fly. So ...more
Leo
Jun 18, 2012 Leo rated it really liked it
Some Dogs Do is a book written and illustrated by Jez Aldborough about a dog called Sid who discovers he can fly. Amazed and excited about his discovery, he runs to school to inform his friends, but is mocked and derided by them and told by his teacher ‘dogs don’t fly!’ When he is unable to display the feat in front of them all, he is left feeling sad and depressed, and returns home to sit alone in his garden. He is joined by his dad who asks him what is wrong and Sid explains what happened at s ...more
Heidi-Marie
My favorite thing in this book is the illustrations. The dogs are so cute! And I really like the ending. The rhyming helps the story flow along. And if the children liked the cows flying, then I think they'll love the dogs flying.

3/31/10 & 4/1/10 The children in both preschool groups enjoyed this book. Even with few words to a page, the book still takes some time to get through. They loved looking at the pictures, and I think the way the rhyming was used it held their attention. Neither grou
Laura Cope
Apr 28, 2014 Laura Cope rated it really liked it
One day, on his way to school, a young dog called Sid has a sudden, overwhelming surge of happiness. Such a surge, in fact, that he begins to feel his feet lifting off the ground, and before he knows it, he's floating through the air! When Sid gets to school, he can't wait to tell all of his friends about his adventure, only to find that when he tells them, they just laugh at him, telling him that dogs don't fly. Sid goes home feeling very, blue, but when he tells his dad what happened, he is ve ...more
Tiffany Pitts
Jul 15, 2013 Tiffany Pitts rated it really liked it
Sid knew all dogs could walk, jump and run. But dogs don't fly. Or can they? Sid is a dog full of hope, motivation and persistence. He believes he can accomplish something that most do not think he can. In the face of disbelief, teasing and taunting, Sid is determined to prove that miracles can and do happen.

The author used rhyming as a writing craft that allows readers to easily engage in the story. This craft was used well because the rhymes fit seamlessly and allowed the story to move forwar
Rebecca Andrews
May 01, 2012 Rebecca Andrews rated it really liked it

The story is about a dog called Sid. On his walk to school one day, when a happy feeling comes across him and he starts to fly! When he arrives at school he tells his friends and teacher; however he's accused of lying. This leaves Sid feeling sad, but when his Dad shares a secret with him later that night, Sid realises he is not alone after all.

This book teaches us to believe in ourselves and not to let people bring you down. It shows that anything is possible and to stand strong behind what you
Library Quine
A fun rhyming story of a young dog who flies to school, where nobody believes that he did. His dad believes him though, because ... Well, you'll have to read the book to find out why! It's a great opportunity to discuss what is real and what is not, and to talk about imagination and the power of positive thinking.
Awards: Baby Book of the MonthBaby & You

2006 Beehive Book Award Children’s Literature Association of Utah

Gold Star Norfolk Libraries Children’s Book Award

Red House Children’s Book
Angela Moorer
While I was reading this book, I heard the voices of so many children that have insane things happen to them. And although they know their stories may sound farfetched, they just want to be believed. As a teacher, we'll hear all types of crazy stuff and it's not for us to judge the validity of the things we are told. I like that this book is written in a simple rhyme that all students can understand. This text is very relatable and can be used to help students understand the fact of weird happen ...more
Amanda
Dec 07, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
Cute story and DS seemed to enjoy it (not "read it again" enjoy it, but smile at the end enjoy it). It's a little silly and no attempt to explain why Sid was able to fly, which I think could've been easy to make as in: he was floating on air because he was happy, etc. Sometimes it seems we don't give kids enough credit for their understanding. They understand and can grow to understand plenty if we give them the opportunity, I think. Anyway, the rhyme and story are nice enough, but this is one t ...more
Sharon
May 02, 2013 Sharon added it
Sid the dog is overcome with excitement when he realises he can fly. He tells all his friends at school but nobody believes him, not ever his teacher. Sid sadly fails to prove it and is left feeling embarrassed in front of all his class. When Sid returns home feeling crushed, his father tells him the greatest secret of all, that some dogs do fly! Suitable for circle time in nursery and Reception and for independent reading in year1. Lovely illustrations and the book also has a supporting CD-Rom. ...more
Roberta
Nov 22, 2015 Roberta rated it really liked it
This is the story of a dog called Sid who, one morning, discovers he can fly! When he tells his school friends that he flew to school that day, they all laugh. Sid tries to prove to them that he can fly but it does not work. He returns home very sad. His dad comes out and tells him a secret: he can fly too!

This is a lovely book, full of big pictures and soothing colours. The words rhyme and are fun to read.

It is good for reception and Y1 children. They will love the story, pictures and text.
Christy
Aug 29, 2013 Christy rated it it was amazing
One day, when Sid is walking to school, he suddenly gets a happy feeling. In fact, he feels so happy that his paws lift off the ground, and he floats right up to the sky! He can’t wait to tell his friends at school, but of course they don’t believe him. "Don’t be daft," scoffs Ben. "You’re a dog, and dogs don’t fly." Even Sid’s teacher shakes her head at him. Now Sid is one unhappy little pup. Can anything ever get him flying high again?

Believe in yourself.
Anna Chaddick
I liked this book! Some Dogs Do is about encouragement and is full of color and rhyming words. A young puppy is found with so much joy that on his way to school his paws end up coming off the ground. This book is filled with cute facial expressions and pictures of Sid that looks like they are coming out of the pages. Fun book that can speak to children about facing new situations or that have a lack of motivation.
Maddie  M1RiH
Nov 25, 2016 Maddie M1RiH rated it it was amazing
A joyful book about a little pup called Sid.
My daughter brought this home from pre-school today and what a great full of joy, she loved the pictures and the way it was easy for me to put a good chirpy voice on then a gruff one. A very bouncy rhythm which had me smiling while I read along.
One I recommend to your collection, I'm going to get this one in PB for Christmas.
Thank you for a wonderful bedtime story.
Naomi
Aug 02, 2015 Naomi rated it really liked it
At first I was going to give this book 3 stars because I didn't necessarily find the story as engaging or entertaining as Mr. Alborough's Bear series. As I walked away from the book, there were much more important things to walk away with this story and critical lessons on believing in oneself, not jumping to conclusions and being comfortable in one's own skin to be learned. I still don't know that this book "hit" me, but I am also not a 2nd grade and below child.
Renae Williams
I like the creative use of pictures and text this author uses in this book. We all love reading books that feature cute dogs, but this book has a greater meaning behind it. It shows that anything is possible and to stand behind what you beleive in. I would use this book when teaching about fiction and nonfiction or real/unreal. Also you could use it to start off a creative writing prompt "If you could fly where would you go?..."Who would you tell?" etc.
Steph
Aug 19, 2008 Steph rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I think I read it at a particularly tender time. I was trying to make friends in a new city and receiving some cold shoulders because of my religion. I felt like people wouldn't even try to get to know me because they thought that Mormons were ridiculous. I really related to Sid, who learned to believe in himself even when others didn't.

(and don't get all teary for me. . . soon after that I met Angie, the best and truest of friends.)
Sharlene Hall
Sep 09, 2016 Sharlene Hall rated it it was amazing
I don't always add the picture books I read in the library to my Goodreads list but this one was randomly picked up and read to preschool this morning ..... What an awesome book! An adorable story about the terrible impact that other people's negative words have on our spirit and ability to fly! Love love love this book <3
Michael
Jan 05, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
I'm almost afraid to give this a high rating, because my daughter has been telling me she can secretly fly ever since she read this book about the dogs that can secretly fly. But I suppose it's no harm to confuse imagination with reality at 3 years old. Or is the author trying to make a metaphor for dreams?? Anyway, it sure would be nice to have a secret like this!
Mimo
Sep 08, 2007 Mimo rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Preschoolers and their adults
Shelves: easy-kids
I love Jez Alborough's books and just came across this one for the first time. Sid is a young pup who discovers he can fly. Trouble is, no one believes him. Rhyming text ("but I did, I did said Sid" is a common refrain) and large colorful pictures make me suspect that this will be a great one for storytimes.
Mary
This is the story of a dog who can fly and how he is made fun of because others believe that it isn’t possible. When he gets home, his father shows him that he can fly, too, and they fly together. Sometimes, other people try to put you down because something is different or they don’t understand it, but when you have people around you who care, all is well in the world.
Ealthafer
Apr 04, 2011 Ealthafer rated it really liked it
Some Dogs Do is a simple read that is quite inspiring. This book teaches to believe in yourself and don't let people bring you down. The illustrations in this book are very cute and also neat in the way the illustrator places the pictures. The illustrator splits multiple pictures up and puts them on one page to show time elapsing. This book would also be good to teach the craft of rhyming.
Kelsi Watts
Dec 06, 2016 Kelsi Watts rated it it was amazing
This is a fun read aloud I would use in my kindergarten classroom. A dog that fly's to school? No way! But, some dogs do! And when no one believes Sid, and his dad see's him sad, he reminds him that yes, some dogs do fly! Regardless of who believes him. I loved this book and I give it a 5 out of 5.
Russell
Jun 25, 2014 Russell rated it it was amazing
Not quite iambic pentameter, but the poetic rhyming of the story pulls you in to the plight of Sid. (view spoiler)
  • Who Hops?
  • The Night I Followed the Dog
  • More Bears!
  • Socksquatch
  • The Adventures of Taxi Dog (Picture Puffins)
  • Me Want Pet!
  • Help Me, Mr. Mutt!: Expert Answers for Dogs with People Problems
  • Itsy Mitsy Runs Away
  • Cooking with Henry and Elliebelly
  • The Wolf's Chicken Stew
  • Bats at the Ballgame (A Bat Book)
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
  • The Book That Eats People
  • Before John Was a Jazz Giant: A Song of John Coltrane
Jez Alborough is the author-illustrator of the picture-book charmer HUG, his first book about Bobo. He has also created many other celebrated books for children, including SOME DOGS DO — a story about a dog who can fly — and the best-selling Eddie and the Bear books: WHERE'S MY TEDDY?, IT'S THE BEAR!, and MY FRIEND BEAR. Of TALL, he says, "Bobo experiences feeling small as well as feeling tall, bu ...more
More about Jez Alborough...