Start by marking “Triple Ripple (Large Print 16pt)” as Want to Read:
Triple Ripple (Large Print 16pt)

Triple Ripple (Large Print 16pt)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  25 reviews
The Writer begins with a sparkly good idea for a fabulous fairytale. A girl called Glory is sent to work in the Royal Palace, where the queen is planning a grand ball and a bad-tempered princess is sorting through jewels and tiaras. And, unknown t...
Paperback, Large Print, 262 pages
Published March 1st 2011 by ReadHowYouWant

To ask other readers questions about Triple Ripple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Triple Ripple

ALPHAreader
‘Triple Ripple: A Fabulous Fairytale’ is the new young adult book from Brigid Lowry.

‘Triple Ripple’ is a wonderful Grimm-esque fairytale that folds in on itself and splinters into three different stories. Reminiscent of ‘The Neverending Story’ and ‘The Princess Bride’, Lowry writes from three different perspectives - the characters, reader and writer - as they journey through the plot on a conspicuously parallel time-line.

The writer has come up with a fabulous fairytale about a girl called Glory
E. Anderson
I’m hard pressed to say that a novel I’ve read is one-of-a-kind. There’s a lot of books out there, everything’s been done, and most authors are striving to put a unique twist on something that, if you look hard enough, is a trope we’ve seen before. TRIPLE RIPPLE, though, surprised me. If there are other books like this out there, I haven’t seen them.

Brigid Lowry‘s latest follows three oddly intertwined narratives. First there is the writer, who is penning a new fairytale novel, struggling with v
Readingee
I was tossing between 2 or 3 stars, but I settled on 3 because I couldn't get past how creative and unique the concept of this book is. Having the writer contemplating about what should happen next, the reader talking about the book and using it as an outlet from her life and the story itself being developed was really something else.

However, there were some parts which I didn't like or I found unnecessary. Honestly, the fairy tale just really wasn't good, perhaps it just wasn't suited for my ag
Nicole
Great concept, poor execution. I hated the writing style and the author has clearly never met a teenager?? Jodi Picoult's Between the Lines was infinitely better.
Pam Saunders
Just divine, loved the three story tellers and the blending of their tales.

Joséphine
While the idea of the metafictional approach taken in the book appealed to me — it contained the actual fairytale, the Writer's story and the Reader's one — the execution fell a little flat for me. The fairytale was delightful enough. The Writer's own thoughts did ring through. The Reader had her own life and struggles that on some level tied in with the fairytale and some themes paralleled each other. However, by taking this approach, maybe depth had to be somewhat sacrificed. Also, complexity ...more
Amy
The classic fairy tale mixed with the modern tale. When you state like that yes it sounds good, but unfortunately it didn't rise to my expectations.
I have read a couple of Brigid Lowry's books before, and thoroughly enjoyed them. Though this book... this book is a whole other tale.
First of all, i felt the plot was a bit dry and needed more livening up, though it still kept me going. The writer's i thought was not needed, as it just made it more bring and bland. I also got confused because I had
Ms Tlaskal
Mmm, have you ever bought that cheap no-frills napolitana ice-cream which goes all watery at the bottom when it melts and you realise you have just been eating sugary fluff? Well this is how I found the experience of Bridget Lowry's new one. It is written with three intersecting plots; the writer, the reader and the fairy story the writer is attempting to write. I was intrieged by the concept but found the fairy story so banal that in the end I just followed the writer's voice which sounded very ...more
Temereani
The reason I chose to read this book was because I thought it looked interesting, started reading it and couldn’t stop till I was finished.

This fits into my bingo board under the category ‘A book written by a New Zealander’.

Well I liked just about everything about this book because it was easy to understand, in one of my favourite genres and my favourite part of all was that it showed three different points of view as it showed the writer creating the story, the story itself and the person writi
Tina
Wonderful!
I read this with my daughter and it was lots of fun. I loved the different perspectives of the story. It added something fresh and new. How much of our lives is reflected in what we write/read? Do our reads influence our day to days a little?
There were many cute and quirky stories within this story, all adding their own element to the main fairytale.
Brigid Lowry's Juicy Writing is also great for anyone who likes creative writing.
Our Library Mornington
Glory is a girl with a destiny, already cursed before she is born. Mirabella, who appears to have everything, is cursed in a different way - entrapped by her life as a Princess, her only escape a marriage to shore up the country's flagging finances. In another world, teenage Nova is bullied at school and worried at home. Even the writer has problems of her own, from distractions to deadlines!

In this skilfully woven and absorbing tale there are three separate stories - that of the characters in t
Rose
I found this book extremely confusing to start with especially with the three narratives. But then i decided it was better to read one at a time, which made it easier to read.
This is a story of three different places, times and people. One is the Author of the book and the story as she writes it. The second of a 15 year old girl with problems at school and the last of a girl in a half fantasy land. Their stories intertwine in the chapters and the author does change the plot as it goes along. But
Catherine
Mar 08, 2011 Catherine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Catherine by: Pam Sanders
I've never read a book constructed quite like this before; I really liked the way the author layered the stories; it has a post-modern feel to it. The layer of the author especially works well giving YA readers that often wished for look into the mind and processes of the author. (loved the rewritten chapter!)

The story/ies read along so smoothly but I expect connecting the three threads together was no easy task. Her characters in each story were believable, likable and worth spending time with.
Jessica
Mar 19, 2012 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like love stories and books about royals and monarch and palaces
Recommended to Jessica by: Hannah Ward
Shelves: romance, magic
I loved this book! I wanted Glory and Rolf to kiss, and when I thought they were going to for the first time, he proposed! So they got married before they even kissed- so romantic! Royal romance is kind of strange although?! It was funny when Glory thought she had to save a human's life but she ended up rescuing a small dog, (I guess a chiwahwah) ffrom dying the dreadful death of the.... CHICKEN BONE?!
Margaret
Dec 17, 2012 Margaret rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any girl who wants a fresh take on fairy-tales
Shelves: read-again
I loved this style of fairy-tale and especially discovering the frustrations, joys and processes of an author while writing. I must say it's the first book I've read that includes an author as a character, i really enjoyed it, and i wouldn't be surprised if many of the happenings with the author were inspired be Brigid's own experiences. Another fabulously quirky read! :)
Book Bazaar
A fun teen fic read which interweaves the story of a modern reader, the writer of the story and the fantasy story at the centre. Excellent for highlighting the writing process and reminding readers that the writer is agonising over the story and how it will end up while dealing with their own real world. Recommended for 12-16yr old girls.
Andrea
I liked how there was three points of veiw: the reader, the writer and the story, especially because there was a writer one because I never really thought about how the writer was feeling through out the book.
Selah Bell
I really enjoyed this book. I love that it had the three different parts to it, and that they all ended happily ever after. A very good book.
Sarah Mayor Cox
I just LOVE novels based on fairytales - and this one looks like it's got a great post-modern self-referential twist to it. Bring it on!!!
Chloejane
Loved this book. Great how it differentiated between the writer, reader and actual story. Perfect :)
Tammy
one of my favorites!! love how the point of view changes and the story teller puts in its opinions :)
St Clare's Library
Yr 7 - Brigid Lowry is a great author so this book should be high on your to read list.
Melinda
Cute book. Lots of fluff. Writing wasn't great.
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Annabel
Annabel marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Kaila Opal
Kaila Opal marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
  • Losing It
  • Ishmael and the Hoops of Steel
  • Whisper
  • Black Painted Fingernails
  • The Coming of the Whirlpool (Ship Kings, #1)
  • Mammon (The Ferryman Chronicles, #1)
  • All I Ever Wanted
  • Pig Boy
  • Alaska
  • Nanberry: Black Brother White
Brigid Lowry was born in New Zealand into a rather strange but very creative family. Here she learned a love of books, too many swear words and how to cook a decent omelette. Brigid's early, rather awful poetry was made into a small book by her father, a printer and typographer, and sold to kindly relatives for two and sixpence a copy. Thus her writing career was launched, but it took about twenty ...more
More about Brigid Lowry...
Guitar Highway Rose Follow the Blue Juicy Writing: Inspiration and Techniques for Young Writers With Lots of Love from Georgia Things You Either Hate or Love