Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes

Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  18,107 ratings  ·  185 reviews
In her hit Food Network show Everyday Italian, Giada De Laurentiis shows you how to cook delicious, beautiful food in a flash. And here, in her long-awaited first book, she does the same—helps you put a fabulous dinner on the table tonight, for friends or just for the kids, with a minimum of fuss and a maximum of flavor. She makes it all look easy, because it is.

Everyday...more
Published February 22nd 2005 by Clarkson Potter

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated
Best Cookbooks
13th out of 808 books — 750 voters
Everyday Italian by Giada De LaurentiisGiada's Kitchen by Giada De LaurentiisMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child30-Minute Meals 2 by Rachael RayRachael Ray 365 by Rachael Ray
Cookbooks as seen on Television
1st out of 59 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Christine
OK, I have some strong opinions about the Food Network stars and I happen to love Giada. I do not like Rachel Ray, by the way, and don't get me started on lame-ass Sandra Lee. Crazy Ida will probably have a breakdown one day when that husband of hers who is never around finally leaves her, but she does know how to cook well though.

Anyway, Giada has it all: the perfect body, adoring husband, impeccable cooking skills, a winning personality, the most current Anthropologie wardrobe, and friends mi...more
Allison
Aug 08, 2007 Allison rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: cookbooks
Folks, proscuitto wrapped around roasted asparagus is not a recipe, its a nice suggestion. If you want nice, boring quasi-Italian suggestions, then by all means, by this book. On second thought, don't by this book, it sucks. Lidia's books have recipes and suggestions.
Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
Since I checked this out from the library, I only had time to make a few of the recipes, all of which were really good! Plus, there’s a few more I wanted to try, but I didn’t get the chance. It’s definitely something I want to buy when I get the chance. Or maybe I can just check it out from the librayr another time. The recipes I did make were interesting: lots of fresh herbs and veggies! I managed to not hurt myself while chopping the vegetables up, which is a miracle. And washing/rinsing and t...more
Mary Frasier
Everything from anti-pasti to dolce' in an easy to follow format and with beautiful photos of the finished food. The Crostata with Mushrooms and Pancetta (page 28) looks and tastes like something you would be served in a 3 Michelin Star restaurant, yet it is so easy to prepare, even for the beginner home cook.

Most of the ingredients in these recipes are easily found in a well stocked pantry. Loved it and use it as one of my day to day "go to" cookbooks. As a barkeep would keep his/her finer liqu...more
Devon
I love Giada de Laurentiis. She is a model chef, mother and wife and has the cutest style and her show "Everyday Italian."

This cookbook is wonderful if you want to cook tradition Italian dishes. I love the tortellini in chicken broth.

My one complaint in this book is that she doesn't bring anything contemporary into these dishes. I love anything traditional, but I wanted her cookbook to see a new twist on some of these everyday italian meals.

I am very excited to try her desserts!!
Janet
I was pleasantly surprised by this cookbook -- the "everyday" concept is delivered in an approachable way. The majority of the ingredients are readily available and in my local grocery store. None of the recipes seem daunting. I can't wait to try them!

The bonus for me was that this was a downloadable library book. I would have passed this by at the bookstore, but the no-risk opportunity to thumb through it (albeit virtually) led to my reading every recipe.

Rama
Cook Italian with an American touch

Those of us who watch Food Network are familiar with some of the top names in cooking, and Giada De Laurentiis comes up in the Top 10 list. Her presentation skills, youth appearance wearing a low-cut top attracts many viewers and her cooking techniques are simple and choice of the recipes on her show is marginal. Yet for those of us who are interested in Italian cooking with an American touch, we have to look for her recopies. Until now we had to depend on reci...more
Sarah Eiseman
Originally posted on Sarahsbookshelf.com:

I haven’t really been sold on Giada de Laurentiis in the past. I had checked out some of her cookbooks and wasn’t really impressed. I’m an optimist, though, so I decided to give her another shot. This book was her first cookbook and it was a goldmine of favorites. We tried Penne a la Vodka, which we made with Soju that we had on-hand, Wild Mushroom Risotto, Carbonara sauce, and a few others. Her recipes were simple, used easy-to-find ingredients, and noth...more
Kathy
I haven't tried all the recipes yet, but I love the simplicity of this collection that also has a sophisticated feel to it and wonderful flavors. The asparagus frittata is amazing, the caprese salad has wonderful flavor plus a splash of color with orange tomatoes. The recipe for roasted bell peppers, which I love in so many dishes, is surprisingly simple but creates a wonderful tasting pepper that can be used in sauces, salads, pasta dishes, etc etc. There are so many tips and recipes for things...more
Bunny
I really do like Giada's cookbooks. But I really wish she wasn't attached to super ridiculous ingredients. I mean, I adore prosciutto, but that's a "Hey, I have extra money, let's buy 1/100th of an ounce as a treat!"

I really love the idea of Pizza Di Spaghetti, though. That's going to be a soon.
Kristl
May 14, 2007 Kristl rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: hungry people, but not my sister
Shelves: cookbooks
I love Giada. I love Giada's books, I love Giada's recipes, I love Giada's show, I love how Giada says "crunchy," heck, I love Giada's clothes.

I love basil, tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil (I needn't cutesy abbreviate here or the Food Network world might implode), parmesano reggiano, and I love basil some more.

The recipes in Everyday Italian are fresh, simple(ish), and easily shopped-for.

I only refrained from the final star because not everyone loves the fresh Italian palate all the time (all t...more
Jen
Feb 26, 2008 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jen by: Barb
This was my cookbook of the week. Tried these recipes (using my familiar names -- reference Giada's book for the fancy names!):
-Sausage and Pasta (p 106). Used regular broccoli, and penne pasta. Skipped the spicy stuff for sake of the kids.
-Chicken piccata (p 153)Kids and hubby loved it too.
-Roasted fish (p 163). Used tilapia, and skipped fennel and rosemary, due to little kids. Served with roasted veggies (pg 211) and this was a hit too.
-Roasted Pork Loin (pg. 167). The hit of the week! Hubby c...more
Sandi
Filled with delicious sounding recipes that are easy to make (really!) and tips and stories about why they appear in the book make this one a winner. I'm an avid cookbook collector and will definitely be buying Everyday Italian for my collection.

With recipes that Strega Nona would definitely approve of, I have a feeling this cookbook is quickly going to become one of my faves. I think I'll start with the orichetti with breadcrumbs and then decide where to go from there.

A delightful cookbook th...more
Susan
I love this cookbook. I usually stand firm by the statement, "never trust a skinny chef", but I trust this one. Ive tried out so many of Giada's recipes and I've been pleased every time. She has some traditional Italian recipes as well as some she has made up. My favorites are her biscotti, bruschetta and lentil soup as well as a recipe for a mascarpone cream that goes with fresh berries. I haven't tried all the recipes, but I haven't disliked any of the ones I did try.
The only problem I have w...more
Tara Lynn
I had mixed feelings about this book. I love Giada's shows, I do, but I felt like this book was really short of the mark. It is beautifully illustrated with full color photos, and many of the recipies are fast and easy. However, I really believe that the level of "shortcuts" used really outweighed the joy I found in looking at the recipies. I honestly feel that this is the book for the working professional who can't be bothered to make things from scratch or semi-scratch, and would prefer to use...more
Loretta Loebs
Great Marinara recipe. Very close to my own Nana's.
Cara
This was fine. Nothing special. I don't mind Giada, but her recipes are generally boring. I thought that she would have put new and interesting ideas into Everyday Italian, but it's the same recipes you find online and on food network.

What was lacking, nearly any pictures of food. I don't mind pictures of Giada; I know she's popular and cute and this is her cookbook after all, but I don't need 60 pictures of Giada just having a grand ol' time. I'd much rather have pictures of the recipes in her...more
Ruth Howell
I'd say it was an average cook book, but nothing to write home about.
Ruth
At the moment, my favorite cookbook. It's a gift from a dear friend. Eventually I'll make most of the stuff in here and probably find it wonderful, but for now my favorites are the salmon cartoccio (made an incredibly moist and flavorful salmon that tasted just as great in leftovers) and the lemon spaghetti, which I usually make using capellini instead (love how quickly it cooks and its delicate structure which somehow or other goes so well with the simple but scrumptious flavors). A real winner...more
Kimberly Martin
fun easy to read easy to follow recipes and an autographed copy. I attended the restaurant which was hosting her and this restaurant ( jaspers in kc) created several of her dishes and suggested great wines to go with her meals. Delicious. But the icing on the cake happened when she came to each table and spoke to us and shook our hands and thank us for attending and buying her book. very down to earth person and highly recommend this book. I have been a fan ever since.
Michelle
Feb 17, 2009 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Italian food fans
I've watched her show on the Food Network for a long time now and got this as a Christmas gift. I have made quite a few things from this book, all with great results. Although I must admit, I have been tempted to make little alterations to the recipes along the way....but I do that with almost every cookbook I read. Very straightforward and not too complicated or requiring huge lists of ingredients...great for homey, gut-pleasing meals.
Elisabeth
What I like about Giada's cookbooks is that she's okay with you using canned items as needed. It's okay to throw in canned tomatoes for a sauce. Sure, freshly peeled and seeded tomatoes are the best but sometimes one simply doesn't have the time to do that. She won't hold that against me. Thanks, Giada. And yes, this book has a great basic tomato sauce you can double or triple and hold inthe freezer for when you need it. Good Stuff!
Amanda
I was disappointed at how meat-centric the recipes were. As a vegetarian, I find Italian food tends to be one of the easiest types to make vegetarian, but these recipes were overall difficult to adapt. Although there were two vegetarian recipes, she took a bit of a condescending tone to vegetarians in them. I did find a promising marinara recipe, as well as a vodka sauce recipe to try though. Haven't cooked/tasted them yet though.
Lisa
I love this cookbook, the recipes are delish and super easy for the most part. I wish that some of them were healthier, as a lot use cream or bechamel type sauces (eg her lasagna). I think it helps that I used to watch her show a lot & have seen her make a number of the recipes on TV. I am hoping to get Everyday Pasta soon!
Jennifer Cheuk
I've tried about four of her recipes which were pretty decent tasting or at least pretty ;) I read some of the reviews about this book and can understand how the reader found "asparagus wrapped in prosciutto" not a recipe but a suggestion. But for me, the I-don't-really-cook-that-much/I-really-only-stir-fry-every-meal kind of person, I found the book helpful in opening up my options when it comes to meal time.
Ellen
Someone gave me this book as a gift; I never would have chosen it myself. It might be fine for a beginner just learning to cook Italian food, but for anyone with any experience in this area, there is nothing useful or new in it. I have cooked my way through all of Marcella Hazan's books and the award-winning Splendid Table by Lynne Rossetto Kasper, so Everyday Italian is useless for me.
Gina
Haven't made everything in it yet; my favorite easy recipe is Lemon Spaghetti. Great starting point for Italian recipes that are more than just spaghetti and meatballs but not too hard. Gives you a good idea of how basic Italian dishes work (for example, risotto) so that you can create your own dishes once you're comfortable with the technique or flavor combination.
Tina Culbertson
If you are a pasta lover, treat yourself and purchase this book. The recipes aren't complicated, ingredients are usually in your pantry and the comfort food factor is high. I have quite a few photos of meals prepared from this book....better get on to downloading them soon!

Most of Giada's books are fun to flip through but this is certainly one of my favorites.
Kelly Marquize
Giada is my favorite TV chef. This book has some great recipes...especially the marinara sauce. It's awesome! The only reason I didn't give it a five star rating is because there are quite a few recipes that I didn't use so I feel like I'm not getting as much out of the book as I would like. Overall, it a good cookbook to have in your collection.
Most recipes are very straightforward and easy, and for what it is--everyday cooking--it's decent. She gets carried away in her attempts to make traditional American food "Italian", and of course, there close ups of her breasts on every other page. Sort of makes you wonder who they think is doing the cooking "everyday" in most households.
  • Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again
  • Tyler's Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time
  • Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook: Explosive Flavors from the Southwestern Kitchen
  • The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life
  • Rachael Ray 365: No Repeats: A Year of Deliciously Different Dinners
  • Molto Italiano: 327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home
  • Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook
  • Paula Deen & Friends
  • Baking: From My Home to Yours
  • Cook with Jamie
  • The New Best Recipe
Giada De Laurentiis is a Los Angeles-based celebrity chef who's published four cookbooks and hosts several shows for Food Network. Born in Rome, Italy, she grew up surrounded by homemade Italian cooking. As a child, she and her family moved to California, where she spent countless hours at her grandfather's restaurant DLL Foodshow. Upon graduating from UCLA with a degree in anthropology, Giada stu...more
More about Giada De Laurentiis...
Giada's Family Dinners Everyday Pasta Giada's Kitchen: New Favorites from Everyday Italian Giada at Home: Family Recipes from Italy and California Weeknights with Giada: Quick and Simple Recipes to Revamp Dinner