Start by marking “The Mandel Files, Volume 1: Mindstar Rising & A Quantum Murder” as Want to Read:
The Mandel Files, Volume 1: Mindstar Rising & A Quantum Murder

The Mandel Files, Volume 1: Mindstar Rising & A Quantum Murder (Greg Mandel #1-2)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  498 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
CONTAINS TWO COMPLETE NOVELS!

For the first time in a single volume, Peter F. Hamilton’s acclaimed novels—Mindstar Rising and A Quantum Murder—set in a near-future so real it seems ripped from tomorrow’s headlines

In Mindstar Rising, Greg Mandel, gifted—or cursed—with biotechnology that makes him a living lie detector, is hired to investigate corporate espionage by Event Hor
Published August 23rd 2011 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Mandel Files, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mandel Files, Volume 1

Chip
Jan 25, 2016 Chip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, enjoyed this mystery set in a near future. Enough science fiction to keep it in the genre, but as much a mystery series than anything. This newly published work combining "Mindstar Rising" and "Quantum Murder" is a good way to purchase these older Hamilton stories. I enjoyed "Mindstar Rising" more, finding it more of a science fiction read, where as "Quantum Murder" took the setting and science described in the earlier work and built upon it to tell a more pure murder mystery. Obviously ...more
John Tracy Cunningham
This was Hamilton's first two books, 1993 and 1994. Excellent mysteries, set in England in the not-to-far future. Computers and other electronics have gone a different direction from what he portrays, but this does not detract from the stories, at least for me. The world is much warmer, has gone through high water, much lowland is flooded, England has gone through ten years of Marxism, but now democracy is more or less back and the economy is slowly recovering. Private enterprise is taking the l ...more
Frank
Dec 17, 2012 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book set in a near future Earth slowly emerging from a gray ages after a serious but not catastrophic environmental upheaval caused by global warming. Britian is now a tropical island, subject to frequent hyper-violent hurricanes.

The book contains two stories of approximately novella length set in this universe. They are unconventional crime mysteries revolving around Greg Mandel, a former specops soldier who has been biologically modified with a psi-enhancing "gland" that gives him a
Edward Lazellari
Nov 26, 2011 Edward Lazellari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who liked Snow Crash, Hardwire, Neuromancer
Recommended to Edward by: Suvudu
This is a true sci-fi story. Set in the near future, Hamilton's constructs are familiar enough that we can all see ourselves living in such a society. It was written in the 1990s, and it's amazing (and scary) to see how close we're getting to this vision.
Though the characters are two-dimensional, it's the good kind, with just enough information about them to move the plot along and not detract from the world Hamilton paints. This story is more about ideas than the characters, about the abuse of
Ron Morgan
Aug 31, 2013 Ron Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished the 2nd novel of the omnibus, "A Quantum Murder". Greg Mandel is a pretty fun detective to follow, and this time around he gets into a bit more action-packed trouble, with most of the main players from the first novel returning. Again, this is one of Hamilton's early works, and the "sci-fi" is kept to a minimum, though fantastic in nature. This is a pretty cool sci-fi detective series set in the not too distant future, and unlike Hamilton's more recent epic space-opera work it is very e ...more
D
Jul 05, 2012 D rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a real toss up between 2 and 3 stars.

Note that this was my first techno thriller novels. And... I do plan on reading the final Greg Mandel installment, The Nano Flower. I just have to find out what happens to the embarassingly juvenile Julia Evans.

This book is actually the 1st 2 of the novels, crammed together. It was NOT a bad read, but techno thrillers are just not my thing. I don't agonize over who could have done it.

The first book completely lacked gravitas. I mean... really, really l
Rob Trans
This is two complete novels in one. The first is better than the second. I enjoyed the first, but the second was even more draggy and seemed unfocused in places.

Typical of this author. Good characterizations, interesting plot. Author is enamored of the universe he has created and seems to include little descriptions that are only marginally related to the plot. He could use a better editor.

I'm done with this author for a long time.
Annie
Mar 21, 2014 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
While Peter F. Hamilton is an author on my to-read list, I found myself skipping pages at the end of the book. A series I would still complete, it was difficult initially to really get into the storyline as I needed to learn the slang peculiar to the series.
Tim Famulak
Early hamiton

Good read, see where Hamilton had early skills in developing a future world, with full characters and a twisting plot keeping you interested til the end
Peter
A Two novel re-issue of Hamilton's 1990 novels involving Greg mandel...a biologically altered empath in a post apocolyptic( Environmental...the great warming) Britain. Lots of nice touches here...The Trinities vs the PSP...the New Conservatives...the various play-oofs and pay-offs of dealing with a disintegrating world and the purely pro-business nature of the story arc...I do like the hacker element of the two novels. Speculative fiction always run the risk of seeming dated and there are elemen ...more
Chris
Jan 08, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hamilton Fans, Near-future techno thriller junkies
I enjoyed the two books in one. But I'm a Hamilton fan. Despite his tendency toward verbosity, these read quite quickly. Technothriller is the right label for these stories. The setting is near-future Earth, which I think is a neat contrast to the settings in his Commonwealth and Void books.
Binky Bowberg
Jan 25, 2014 Binky Bowberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Two fun techno-thriller, sci-fi, mysteries. I enjoyed both Mindstar Rising and A Quantum Murder for the action ,and the ongoing character development. I look forward to more of Greg Mandel and his psi- ability crime solving, and the continued growth of Julia Evans as her story unfolds in The Nano Flower.
Tamahome
Grr. My bookstore won't have til 8/23.

p 16 - it is good to be an esper

P 88 - Spaaaaaace!

EDIT:

p 171/467 (1st novel) - consciousness uploading :) This is also a 'post global warming' novel.

I have to wonder why these 2 novels were reprinted as one book. Is a 467 page novel just too low a profit margin, or do they think it won't sell as much?
呉
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two books in one.

The first one is a bit bumpy read, a rough ride, although not bad overall, not on the level I am used from Peter F. Hamilton. So 2/5

But, the second book is way better, with a compelling story line, thought nothing really over the top, but enough to get a 4/5

Overall I give a 4/5, especially because for the second book
Jim-mike
Aug 18, 2012 Jim-mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is two books combined into one massive read. Both books were pretty good -- the first being a little better than the second. Both are sort of sci-fi murder/mystery books. Hamilton is a bit long winded, but the plot is interesting enough to keep things moving.
Brian Richardson
Dec 21, 2011 Brian Richardson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear action-packed prose with an interesting character. Mandel is surprisingly down-to-earth considering he's psychic. Normally I'm not a fan of psychic stuff in my scifi but it works here.
Rachel
Sep 29, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the book started off slow and confusing so i put it down. i picked it back up when i had nothing else to read and glad i did. shortly in, the book did pick up and got really good.
Kent Pilcher
Aug 05, 2013 Kent Pilcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy the writing style of Pete Hamilton, his stories are unique and very interesting.
Greg Barrett
The stories are good... not great. But it's good history to have for following series.
Dion
Nov 18, 2013 Dion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Promising first effort by talented author Peter F. Hamilton.
Andres Camacho
Dec 09, 2011 Andres Camacho is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm halfway through. Its ok, typical Hamilton style.
Michael
May 28, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great space opera. Really good mind candy.
Arthur
Jul 18, 2011 Arthur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great series. Good Detective. Good SF!
Chris Hanson
Chris Hanson rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Jessica Herdina
Jessica Herdina marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Dave Storey
Dave Storey rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2016
Andrew Bell
Andrew Bell marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
  • Deep Navigation
  • Shadow of the Scorpion (Polity #3)
  • Death Was the Other Woman
  • Angel Stations
  • Killswitch (Cassandra Kresnov, #3)
  • EVE: The Burning Life
  • Inkräktaren  (Fredrik Broman, #5)
  • Heaven's Fall (Heaven's Shadow #3)
  • The Heretic (Raj Whitehall, #9)
  • In the Mouth of the Whale (The Quiet War, #3)
  • Resistance (The Frontiers Saga, #9)
  • Muse of Fire
  • The Private Eye #1
  • After the Battle on Starship Hill: Prologue to The Children of the Sky
  • The Black Dove
  • The Agent Gambit (Liaden Universe, #9-10)
  • Islands of Rage & Hope (Black Tide Rising, #3)
  • Welcome Home / Go Away (Kris Longknife, #9.5)
Peter F. Hamilton is a British science fiction author. He is best known for writing space opera. As of the publication of his tenth novel in 2004, his works had sold over two million copies worldwide, making him Britain's biggest-selling science fiction author.
More about Peter F. Hamilton...

Greg Mandel (3 books)
  • Mindstar Rising (Greg Mandel, #1)
  • A Quantum Murder (Greg Mandel, #2)
  • The Nano Flower (Greg Mandel, #3)