The King's Privateer (Alan Lewrie, #4)

The King's Privateer (Alan Lewrie #4)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  404 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The fourth book in the Alan Lewrie series.

1783: His Majesty's secret agent...

Back from war in the Americas, young navy veteran Alan Lewrie finds London pure pleasure. Then, at Plymouth he boards the trading ship Telesto to find out why merchantmen are disappearing in the East Indies. Between the pungent shores of Calcutta and teeming Canton, Lewrie—reunited with his scound...more
Published June 30th 1996 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The King's Privateer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King's Privateer

Shane
A bombastic guy’s adventure story where the good guys and the bad guys are equally bad.

Alan Lewrie, recent hero of the American War of Independence, is back in England on a commissioned officer’s half-pay during a period of peace between Britain and France. Apparent peace that is, for both countries are dressing up warships as merchant vessels and stirring up trouble along their sea routes, jockeying into position for when the next war breaks out. War is a good business; a panacea for unemployme...more
P. Aaron Potter
Nautical fiction is men’s fiction, at least as much as it’s about explosions and action, but it’s given a kind of respectable sheen because it’s historical. “Look,” you can say when trotting out your book with the elegant frigate on the cover, “it’s history! I’m learning!” The recent trade paperback editions of Patrick O’Brien’s Aubrey/Maturin nautical novels bear testimonials by Mary Renault, A.S. Byatt, and the Times Literary Supplement. Not the type of endorsements you’re going to get for you...more
Eric
Here is one of my favorite Alan Lewrie adventures this time set in the Far East during the late 1700's. The description of the what it must have been like in Calcutta, India and Canton, China is very rich to picture in the mind's eye. This book also introduces two characters who appear in later installments of the adventure series: Mr. Twigg and the arch-villian Choudras.

The author's description of the action scenes are graphic and entertaining. This is escapist reading at its best. The technica...more
Bill
Five stars for all these books is probably over-generous, but by the end of each I find myself eager to start the next less because I need to know what happens than because the current one was just so damned fun to read. (With my frequent caveat that I'm "reading" the audiobooks, and having a phenomenal narrator in John Lee could be skewing my judgment.)
Oskar Meadowfield
Another good Alan Lewrie adventure. I wasn't the biggest fan of the attempt at spy and intrigue type action, and the Asian setting wasn't as compelling as the American wilderness or the battle of Yorktown of the previous books. This one got a bit unimpressive for a while, but the explosive climax made up for it!
Aspen Junge
I read the entire series largely back-to-back (my local public library is well-stocked). One of the great things about this series is that we get to watch Alan Lewrie, the main character, grow up from a callow, self-indulgent teenager to a mature, thoughtful, and responsible adult.
Mwilli
I'm listening to the series - my public library has at least the first 8. What a swiving, swaggering, seafaring tale! A real man's series, but I'm enjoying it anyway.
Update: finished all available - they are a very entertaining listen. Wish LAPL had them all.
Ken Wiltsee
Best so far. Great battle scenes.
RS Fuster
First lieutenant on way to captain?
M_latimer
Decent book. Age of sail.
Jay
Jay added it
Sep 20, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
REDD
REDD marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
J.m. Hartwig
J.m. Hartwig marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Ted Shepler
Ted Shepler marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
  • Ramage & the Drumbeat (The Lord Ramage Novels, #2)
  • Kydd (Kydd Sea Adventures, #1)
  • Stand into Danger (Richard Bolitho, #4)
  • Under Enemy Colors (Charles Hayden, #1)
Dewey Lambdin (1945- ) is an American nautical historical novelist. He is best known for his Alan Lewrie naval adventure series, set during the Napoleonic Wars. Besides the Alan Lewrie series, he is also the author of What Lies Buried: a novel of Old Cape Fear.

A self-proclaimed "Navy Brat," Lambdin spent a good deal of his early days on both coasts of the U.S.A., and overseas duty stations, with h...more
More about Dewey Lambdin...
The King's Coat (Alan Lewrie, #1) The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3) The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2) The Gun Ketch (Alan Lewrie, #5) H.M.S. Cockerel (Alan Lewrie, #6)