The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3)

The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie #3)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  464 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Dewey Lambdin has created one of the greatest characters in historical adventure fiction. Naval officer and rogue, Alan Lewrie is a man of his times and a hero for all times. His equals are Hornblower, Aubrey, and Maturin—sailors beloved by readers all over the world.

In The King's Commission, Midshipman Alan Lewrie passes the examination for Lieutenancy and finds himself c...more
Published January 31st 1996 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The King's Commission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King's Commission

Eric_W
It seems, judging from hints in this third volume, that Lewrie has managed to clear himself of the charges maliciously leveled by his erstwhile father, and gained a bit of glory for himself in the process. Lt. Kenyon returns to haunt him briefly, but Alan parries Kenyon’s attempts to get Alan into deep water by reminding Kenyon of his (Kenyon’s) own sordid past with sodomistic pleasures, and this prevents Kenyon from sabotaging Alan’s successful promotion to a commission: his lieutenancy. He is...more
Eric
I have read all 17 installments of the Alan Lewrie adventures and am now going back and re-reading some of my favorites. The King's Commission is one of those books. There's plenty of sea-action, a little romance, and lot of detail about sailing in an 18th century ship of war. Lambdin's historical fiction is also informational and he does a good job blending the fictional story into some of the actual events. If you enjoy maritime historical fiction, these are great books to read.

The King's Comm...more
Jason Braida
Lambdin, Dewey. The King's Commission.

I didn't enjoy this book as much as I enjoyed the previous two books in the Alan Lewrie series. Too much time spent ashore for my tastes and too many pages committed to Alan Lewrie's complicated affairs of the heart. That being said, I will in due time buy the fourth book in this series.
Don Casto
This was the third of a series of Mr. Lamblin's books about sailing ships and life in the late 1700s. It stood up to the most stringent test I have . . .maintaining my interest after picking it up and putting down for over a month.
Aspen Junge
I read the entire series largely back-to-back (my local public library is well-stocked). One of the great things about this series is that we get to watch Alan Lewrie, the main character, grow up from a callow, self-indulgent teenager to a mature, thoughtful, and responsible adult.
Thomas T
I very much enjoyed this book, I look forward to following Alan Lewerie on his further adventures, I would recommend this series to anyone who likes the Bernard Cornwell "Sharpe series" or other Naval adventures such as Hornblower,
Mike (the Paladin)
Lots of battles, lots of gore...lots of sex. Alan hasn't changed a lot in some ways but in others he's learning. For on thing the navy may not have been such a big mistake afterall.
Lois
Allen remains bawdy, funny, ingenious, and lucky. And the scene at the end with the cat and the new captain made me laugh so hard!
Doc
Not an good as Bolitho or Hornblower--and the F-bombing doesn't make it any better.
RS Fuster
It just get better and better with each subsequent story (book)
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
REDD
REDD marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
John Barclay
John Barclay marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
  • Ramage & the Drumbeat (The Lord Ramage Novels, #2)
  • Seaflower (Kydd Sea Adventures, #3)
  • Form Line of Battle (Richard Bolitho, #11)
  • Under Enemy Colors (Charles Hayden, #1)
  • Sails on the Horizon: A Novel of the Napoleonic Wars
Dewey Lambdin (1945- ) is an American nautical historical novelist. He is best known for his Alan Lewrie naval adventure series, set during the Napoleonic Wars. Besides the Alan Lewrie series, he is also the author of What Lies Buried: a novel of Old Cape Fear.

A self-proclaimed "Navy Brat," Lambdin spent a good deal of his early days on both coasts of the U.S.A., and overseas duty stations, with h...more
More about Dewey Lambdin...
The King's Coat (Alan Lewrie, #1) The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2) The King's Privateer (Alan Lewrie, #4) The Gun Ketch (Alan Lewrie, #5) H.M.S. Cockerel (Alan Lewrie, #6)