And On the Surface Die: A Holly Martin Mystery

And On the Surface Die: A Holly Martin Mystery (Holly Martin #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In this new series by the acclaimed author of the Belle Palmer mysteries, RCMP Corporal Holly Martin takes charge of her first post, a detachment in tiny Fossil Bay on the wild south coast of Vancouver Island. Drunk drivers, speeders and the occasional theft from tourist cars lead the crime roster, but her first day starts with a distress call. A scuba diver has found the...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Dundurn

To ask other readers questions about And On the Surface Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And On the Surface Die

Reggie Billingsworth
Initially, this one was closer to the 'it was ok' rating for me actually but, why be mean? A compelling and at times slightly over-involved read. Writing is sound and characters have realistic structure and background to them.

RCMP Corporal Holly Martin really does come across as pretty naive (and incredibly lacking in thoroughness and organisation) so during the first third of this book, my disbelief grew. It then tempered once Allin let us in on the thoughts of the more mature, experienced and...more
Martha Cheves
And on the Surface Die - Review by Martha A. Cheves, Author of Stir, Laugh, Repeat

'"Don't discount petty-ante crime," Ben Rodgers, her mentor in The Pas, had told her. "Sometimes they're part of a bigger picture, and it usually involves drugs. Why steal a CD player you can sell for only a twenty unless you need another fix?" But Ben had made his own fatal error. Their last month together, checking out a stolen car seen at a trailer park, he hadn't expected the twelve-year-old deaf boy to be hold...more
Sheila
Holly is a new RCMP Corporal at a small community on the east side of Vancouver Island. Ann, a RCMP officer confined to desk work because of an accident restricting her physical abilities had believed the Corporal position was hers until fate played a different hand. Chipper, a Sikh RCMP is the only other member at the small detachment. A young high school girl is found drowned and at first, the death seems an unfortunate accident but as the facts unfold, Holly determines the death is looking mo...more
Cidney Walter
I really enjoyed And on the Surface Die by Lou Allin. This book has a new heroine, Holly Martin, whom I'm enjoying getting to know. I also am fascinated by the new location of this Holly Martin series...near Sooke, British Columbia, on Vancouver Island. Lou Allin's descriptive writing style and effective character development, as well as compelling plots, continue to entertain. Now I'm on to my next Holly Martin mystery, She Felt No Pain.
Elizabeth
RCMP Corporal Holly Martin has just been transferred to her new post at Fossil Bay on Vancouver Island. This area is known as the Canadian Carribean because of the clement weather. Holly is inexperienced and naive and so when a drowning happens on her patch she is smart enough to realize that it is suspicious but slow to follow up on clues, suspects and even regular police procedure. Hopefully she will wise up on her next case.
Jan
It bothered me that I had to look up a lot of the words/phrases (I know the author is an English prof, but please...) but I couldn't put it down. It's a great book, especially for the first in a new series - it introduced and fleshed out the characters well and I'm definitely looking forward tot he next one!
Duncan M
Duncan M marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Dawn Marie
Dawn Marie marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Tammy Sites
Tammy Sites marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
xstitchfan
xstitchfan marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Sarah added it
Apr 02, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Repeat67
Repeat67 marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Teri
Teri marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Joni
Joni marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2013
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2013
Mathilde
Mathilde marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2013
April Dykes
April Dykes marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Moonblink39
Moonblink39 marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2013
Estelle Landry
Estelle Landry marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2013
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Lou sings two anthems, born in Toronto, Canada, but raised in Ohio. Her father followed the film business to Cleveland in 1948. His profession explains her passion for classic films and debt to Ted Turner.
More about Lou Allin...
Northern Winters Are Murder (Belle Palmer, #1) She Felt No Pain (Holly Martin, #2) Twilight Is Not Good for Maidens (Holly Martin, #3) Man Corn Murders Blackflies Are Murder (Belle Palmer, #2)