Start by marking “Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know” as Want to Read:
Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know

Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Millions of people around the world communicate better thanks to Mignon Fogarty, aka Grammar Girl, whose top-rated weekly grammar podcast has been downloaded more than 30 million times. Now she's turning her attention to improving our vocabulary—one word at a time—with Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know.

Not sure whether your post-high school...more
Published July 5th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

Be the first to ask a question about Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know

Inspired Kathy
I managed to graduate from high school and live another 20 years without knowing many of these words. If asked to define canard, bellicose, fungible, kudzu, nadir, or schadenfreude I would have failed a test!

The author gives a great explanation and definition of each word and then follows up with a quote from a movie, TV show, famous person or famous quote that use the word in context.

It was a falsehood, a canard, a prevarication. Oh, why beat about the bush. It was a simple lie told by a little...more
Annette
When I first flipped through this book, a few entries caught my eye. (Glacier? Really?) I wondered why Fogarty had included them in a list of words of importance for high school grads. Then I read it. Now I get it. (Yes, glacier. Really.)

The words in this book aren't necessarily ones that high school grads will know if they did their homework. I've seen similar lists for high school grads, and they usually do include boring stuff like hypothesis that grads should know when they get a diploma.

Thi...more
Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries)
This review first appeared on my blog:

In the intro, the author states:

Use them in your college entrance essays or during job interviews to show that you're well-read and well-spoken. Even if you're past those stages in life, you'll regularly see most of these words in the news.

Middle Bebe Girl Jasmine is a reader - BUT quite often, she interrupts her reading while I'm here to ask, "Mom, what does ____ mean?", and then I'm left to explain it to her, after a...more
Martin
It's a book. With words. And it explains them. That's already better than most of the tripe that's out there. And besides, it's Grammar Girl, so what's not to love? Now get out of my way so I can go read every one of the rest of her books.
Sherri
This was a fun, quick read that features words to know. I love Fogarty's style of writing and use of fun examples. My two little nitpicky points are (1) a few words needed the addition of how to pronounce them and (2) a few of the aardvark drawings did not seem to fit the word.
Tim
While I'll agree that most of these words are ones that people should know, I didn't really learn much. However, it may just be that I'm past the vocabulary level this book is aimed at.
Christine
An excellent mini (mini) dictionary with definitions to words we hear alot in the media. Quite enlightening! And fun to read (for a mini dictionary). ;)
Justin
This work is both Eclectic (#19) and Penultimate (#71). Be the envy of your less verbose friends, as they run for the dictionary in chagrin.
J.C. Wing
I'm a homeschooling mom and this has been a great addition in my daughter's Language Arts curriculum.
Madison
I only wish there was more than 101 words! these books are so helpful, creative, and quirky!
Sara
A concise list of words with contextual definitions.
J. Nelson Smith
J. Nelson Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Madi
Madi marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Sabree
Sabree marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Shermel
Shermel marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Cindy C.F.
Cindy C.F. marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Lauren Van
Lauren Van marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Jennifer Olson
Jennifer Olson marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Candy
Candy marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Matt
Matt added it
Sep 06, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
620146
Better known as Grammar Girl.
More about Mignon Fogarty...
Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing The Grammar Devotional: Daily Tips for Successful Writing from Grammar Girl Grammar Girl's 101 Misused Words You'll Never Confuse Again Grammar Girl Presents the Ultimate Writing Guide for Students Grammar Girl's 101 Troublesome Words You'll Master in No Time