Start by marking “Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know” as Want to Read:
Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know

Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Millions of people around the world communicate better thanks to Mignon Fogarty, aka Grammar Girl, whose top-rated weekly grammar podcast has been downloaded more than 30 million times. Now she's turning her attention to improving our vocabulary—one word at a time—with Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know.

Not sure whether your post-high school
Published July 5th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

Be the first to ask a question about Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know

Noor
Apr 05, 2016 Noor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language
Having listened to a few of Grammar Girl's podcasts, I bought this book (and others in the series) to feed my zeal for the English language.

Each word is accompanied by an etymology, which made it a highly interesting read and gave useful tips for remembering certain words. While I finished high school a few years ago, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that there were quite a few words that I didn't know, and of those that I did, most I learned after I finished high school.

I do question whether s
Annette
Sep 07, 2011 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first flipped through this book, a few entries caught my eye. (Glacier? Really?) I wondered why Fogarty had included them in a list of words of importance for high school grads. Then I read it. Now I get it. (Yes, glacier. Really.)

The words in this book aren't necessarily ones that high school grads will know if they did their homework. I've seen similar lists for high school grads, and they usually do include boring stuff like hypothesis that grads should know when they get a diploma.

Thi
Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries)
This review first appeared on my blog:

In the intro, the author states:

Use them in your college entrance essays or during job interviews to show that you're well-read and well-spoken. Even if you're past those stages in life, you'll regularly see most of these words in the news.

Middle Bebe Girl Jasmine is a reader - BUT quite often, she interrupts her reading while I'm here to ask, "Mom, what does ____ mean?", and then I'm left to explain it to her, after a
Inspired Kathy
Sep 07, 2011 Inspired Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I managed to graduate from high school and live another 20 years without knowing many of these words. If asked to define canard, bellicose, fungible, kudzu, nadir, or schadenfreude I would have failed a test!

The author gives a great explanation and definition of each word and then follows up with a quote from a movie, TV show, famous person or famous quote that use the word in context.

It was a falsehood, a canard, a prevarication. Oh, why beat about the bush. It was a simple lie told by a little
Martin
Dec 31, 2013 Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a book. With words. And it explains them. That's already better than most of the tripe that's out there. And besides, it's Grammar Girl, so what's not to love? Now get out of my way so I can go read every one of the rest of her books.
Sherri
Jan 29, 2013 Sherri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun, quick read that features words to know. I love Fogarty's style of writing and use of fun examples. My two little nitpicky points are (1) a few words needed the addition of how to pronounce them and (2) a few of the aardvark drawings did not seem to fit the word.
Spectacles
I reviewed some of Mignon Fogarty’s books here. I liked the books I reviewed before much better than this one. The others were much funnier than this one.

review cross-posted on my blog: Spectacle Aglow
Tim
While I'll agree that most of these words are ones that people should know, I didn't really learn much. However, it may just be that I'm past the vocabulary level this book is aimed at.
Candy
Aug 27, 2015 Candy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very helpful book. I revised words I know and learnt new ones. The words are essential for high school students, while not being too difficult or easy.
Christine
Mar 17, 2014 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent mini (mini) dictionary with definitions to words we hear alot in the media. Quite enlightening! And fun to read (for a mini dictionary). ;)
Justin
Dec 31, 2012 Justin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This work is both Eclectic (#19) and Penultimate (#71). Be the envy of your less verbose friends, as they run for the dictionary in chagrin.
J.C. Wing
Sep 25, 2013 J.C. Wing rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a homeschooling mom and this has been a great addition in my daughter's Language Arts curriculum.
Madison
Dec 02, 2011 Madison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only wish there was more than 101 words! these books are so helpful, creative, and quirky!
Sara
Jun 14, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A concise list of words with contextual definitions.
Rachel
Matthew J.
Matthew J. marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Nhi
Nhi is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2016
Heather Mitchell
Heather Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Arihs Green
Arihs Green marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Beth Mowry
Beth Mowry marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Charity Ayres
Charity Ayres rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Belkis
Belkis marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Susan Richardson
Susan Richardson rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Doc
Doc marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
42piratas
42piratas rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Arinazain
Arinazain marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • HBR Guide to Getting the Right Work Done (HBR Guide Series)
  • Hamlet for Kids
  • Being a Happy Teenager
  • Socrates: A Man for Our Times
  • Mortal Syntax: 101 Language Choices That Will Get You Clobbered by the Grammar Snobs--Even If You're Right
  • Twenty-Odd Ducks: Why, Every Punctuation Mark Counts!
  • How to study
  • Holy Bible: CEV - Contemporary English Version (CEV)
  • Viva la Repartee: Clever Comebacks and Witty Retorts from History's Great Wits and Wordsmiths
  • الكتاب الكبير للأشياء الصغيرة
  • Things That Make Us (Sic): The Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar Takes on Madison Avenue, Hollywood, the White House, and the World
  • Inubaka: Crazy For Dogs, Volume 1
  • 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing
  • Christopher Columbus  ( Seri Tokoh Dunia 3 )
  • They All Laughed...: From Light Bulbs to Lasers: The Fascinating Stories Behind the Great Inventions
  • Robert's Rules of Writing: 101 Unconventional Lessons Every Writer Needs to Know
  • A Room With a Zoo
  • Taste Berries for Teens: Inspirational Short Stories and Encouragement on Life, Love, Friendship and Tough Issues
620146
Better known as Grammar Girl.
More about Mignon Fogarty...