Start by marking “Adam's Promise (Harlequin Historical, #653)” as Want to Read:
Adam's Promise (Harlequin Historical, #653)

Adam's Promise (Harlequin Historical, #653)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Madeline Oxley could not completely fault Adam Coates. Her father had hoodwinked them both...but now that she stood at last before him, how could she ever walk away?""Your father sent me the wrong bride!"

Madeline gritted her teeth. "Sir, you are not the only one who has been inconvenienced by this. I just spent forty-six days on a damp, creaky ship, and now you tell me in
Published June 1st 2011 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Adam's Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adam's Promise

Lynsey A
2.5 stars.

I just didn't fall in love with this book. It had a good premise and it did well. However, I had a few problems. One, the heroine's sister was not a likeable character and yet we were supposed to like her in the end after she "changed". Too little, too late for me.

Two, I thought the heroine was a little too stubborn and more interested in bettering her relationship with her sister instead of the hero.

I guess I really just didn't love the book. It was a nice love story but not quite wh
Reading Fanatic
This is the story of Adam and Madeleine and a very bad, horrible mistake. Adam is a really stupid hero. First, he's in love with the beautiful daughter of a wealthy farmer, Diana, who dumps him for a wealthy, titled older man. Says a lot about her character doesn't it? Two, his love continues to write to him AS HIS LOVER for the first year of her marriage. He doesn't write back but saves all her letters along with her miniature. Says more about her character, doesn't it? Actually, it's starting ...more
What I liked:
The setting. I have never read a romance based in Nova Scotia and it was a welcome change of pace.
The hero, Adam, was a good man. He was always honest and there were no big misunderstandings.
Adam slowly falls in love with Madelaine over the course of several months instead of the often typical "lust at first sight"
The children in the book were only briefly seen and there weren't many pages devoted to their cuteness.
This was a character driven book. No ridiculous villain or madcap
So-so... Madeline terlalu pasif dan pesimis, jd ngebosenin. Overall aja yg lumayan, tema ttg perjuangan di tanah barunya aja yg mengingatkan dgn film2 klasik jd akhirnya bisa gw kasih rating #3
awalnya menarik, dimulai dari Madeline yang dikirim ayahnya ke Nova Scotia untuk menikah dengan Adam. yang tidak diketahuinya adalah sebenarnya Adam melamar Diana, kakak Madeline. Madeline yang sudah lama naksir Adam menjadi kecewa, tapi ia juga bertekad tidak ingin kembali ke Inggris karena tidak ada apapun yang menunggunya disana.

sampe pertengahan cerita intensitasnya mulai berkurang karena Adam lama sekali menyadari perasaannya kepada Madeline. dan cerita jadi sedikit mengesalkan saat Diana
So what was Adam's promise? I liked the premise and them falling in love but it was all too convenient in the end.

This was a nice, predictable story. It was entertaining enough that I had read it fairly quickly, it was well written and the characters had a good amount of depth to them, but there was nothing that took the book to the next level for me and would make me want to read it again.
I really enjoyed the storyline. It was hard for me to put it down. However, I feel there was something missing, maybe it lacked the right amount of romance to make it a 4 star book. Still, it was different; therefore, refreshing....
Too young and too old. I could not get over that. Plus Diana was so irritating...argh! I felt that some straightforward talking would have avoided all the conflict.
that was sweet and sad. Well written. a good MacLean
Meh. Just couldn't get on board.
Ella marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Karen Gregory
Karen Gregory marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Jewel marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
cindy theis
cindy theis is currently reading it
Oct 31, 2015
Sandy added it
Oct 31, 2015
Reader marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Ann Chilton
Ann Chilton marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Krissyb marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Gayle Cappelluti
Gayle Cappelluti marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
shirley is currently reading it
Oct 14, 2015
Beiza added it
Sep 29, 2015
Ellie  Dynek
Ellie Dynek marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
  • Tender Fury
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • The Marriage Bed
  • Smoke in the Wind (Harlequin Presents, #1104)
  • The Bridal Veil
  • The Substitute Wife
  • Bride of the Lion
  • The Coming Home Place
  • My Only Love
  • The Way of the Heart
  • What Mattered Most
  • Emerald Knight
  • The Chance (C Series, #3)
  • The Masquerade
  • The Devil's Love
  • Captive Passions (Captive, #1)
  • Lord Grenville's Choice
  • Scoundrel In My Dreams (Runaway Brides, #3)
Julianne MacLean is a USA Today bestselling author of over twenty historical romance novels, including The Highlander Trilogy with St. Martin's Press and her popular Pembroke Palace Series with Avon/Harper Collins. She also writes contemporary mainstream fiction, and her 2011 release THE COLOR OF HEAVEN was a digital bestseller. She is a three-time RITA finalist, and has won numerous awards, inclu ...more
More about Julianne MacLean...

“I told her that I could not marry her, because…because I was in love with you.”
For a long time Madeline sat in her chair, immobile, listening only to the sound of her blood pounding in her ears. She stared blankly at Adam. “You can’t be.” He bowed his head. “You can’t possibly love me. I’m nothing.”
“You’re not nothing. You’re everything.”