Start by marking “Adam's Promise (Harlequin Historical, #653)” as Want to Read:
Adam's Promise (Harlequin Historical, #653)

Adam's Promise (Harlequin Historical, #653)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Madeline Oxley could not completely fault Adam Coates. Her father had hoodwinked them both...but now that she stood at last before him, how could she ever walk away?""Your father sent me the wrong bride!"

Madeline gritted her teeth. "Sir, you are not the only one who has been inconvenienced by this. I just spent forty-six days on a damp, creaky ship, and now you tell me in
Published June 1st 2011 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Adam's Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adam's Promise

Lynsey A
2.5 stars.

I just didn't fall in love with this book. It had a good premise and it did well. However, I had a few problems. One, the heroine's sister was not a likeable character and yet we were supposed to like her in the end after she "changed". Too little, too late for me.

Two, I thought the heroine was a little too stubborn and more interested in bettering her relationship with her sister instead of the hero.

I guess I really just didn't love the book. It was a nice love story but not quite wh
Reading Fanatic
babyfishmouth
What I liked:
The setting. I have never read a romance based in Nova Scotia and it was a welcome change of pace.
The hero, Adam, was a good man. He was always honest and there were no big misunderstandings.
Adam slowly falls in love with Madelaine over the course of several months instead of the often typical "lust at first sight"
The children in the book were only briefly seen and there weren't many pages devoted to their cuteness.
This was a character driven book. No ridiculous villain or madcap
Sari
So-so... Madeline terlalu pasif dan pesimis, jd ngebosenin. Overall aja yg lumayan, tema ttg perjuangan di tanah barunya aja yg mengingatkan dgn film2 klasik jd akhirnya bisa gw kasih rating #3
Rie_dominique
awalnya menarik, dimulai dari Madeline yang dikirim ayahnya ke Nova Scotia untuk menikah dengan Adam. yang tidak diketahuinya adalah sebenarnya Adam melamar Diana, kakak Madeline. Madeline yang sudah lama naksir Adam menjadi kecewa, tapi ia juga bertekad tidak ingin kembali ke Inggris karena tidak ada apapun yang menunggunya disana.

sampe pertengahan cerita intensitasnya mulai berkurang karena Adam lama sekali menyadari perasaannya kepada Madeline. dan cerita jadi sedikit mengesalkan saat Diana
Nikki
So what was Adam's promise? I liked the premise and them falling in love but it was all too convenient in the end.
Emmy
**3.5**

This was a nice, predictable story. It was entertaining enough that I had read it fairly quickly, it was well written and the characters had a good amount of depth to them, but there was nothing that took the book to the next level for me and would make me want to read it again.
Gina
I really enjoyed the storyline. It was hard for me to put it down. However, I feel there was something missing, maybe it lacked the right amount of romance to make it a 4 star book. Still, it was different; therefore, refreshing....
Ana
Too young and too old. I could not get over that. Plus Diana was so irritating...argh! I felt that some straightforward talking would have avoided all the conflict.
Cornelia
that was sweet and sad. Well written. a good MacLean
Jessie
Meh. Just couldn't get on board.
J
J marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Monika
Monika marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Gracie Liberty
Gracie Liberty marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • Tender Fury
  • The Marriage Bed
  • Bride of the Lion
  • Smoke in the Wind (Harlequin Presents, #1104)
  • The Bridal Veil
  • The Substitute Wife
  • My Only Love
  • What Mattered Most
  • Emerald Knight
  • Captive Passions (Captive, #1)
  • No Longer Mine
  • The Devil's Love
  • The Way of the Heart
  • Lord Grenville's Choice
  • The Coming Home Place
  • Savage Desire (Morgan-Challenger #6)
  • Love Wild and Fair
Julianne MacLean is a USA Today bestselling author of over twenty historical romance novels, including The Highlander Trilogy with St. Martin's Press and her popular Pembroke Palace Series with Avon/Harper Collins. She also writes contemporary mainstream fiction, and her 2011 release THE COLOR OF HEAVEN was a digital bestseller. She is a three-time RITA finalist, and has won numerous awards, inclu ...more
More about Julianne MacLean...
The Color of Heaven (The Color of Heaven, #1) Captured by the Highlander (Highlander Trilogy, #1) Claimed by the Highlander (Highlander Trilogy, #2) Seduced by the Highlander (Highlander Trilogy, #3) Married By Midnight (Pembroke Palace, #4)

“I told her that I could not marry her, because…because I was in love with you.”
For a long time Madeline sat in her chair, immobile, listening only to the sound of her blood pounding in her ears. She stared blankly at Adam. “You can’t be.” He bowed his head. “You can’t possibly love me. I’m nothing.”
“You’re not nothing. You’re everything.”
2 likes