Start by marking “Adam's Promise (Harlequin Historical, #653)” as Want to Read:
Adam's Promise (Harlequin Historical, #653)

Adam's Promise (Harlequin Historical, #653)

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  231 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Madeline Oxley could not completely fault Adam Coates. Her father had hoodwinked them both...but now that she stood at last before him, how could she ever walk away?""Your father sent me the wrong bride!"

Madeline gritted her teeth. "Sir, you are not the only one who has been inconvenienced by this. I just spent forty-six days on a damp, creaky ship, and now you tell me in
Published June 1st 2011 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Adam's Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adam's Promise

Lu Bielefeld *Book Whore Brazil*
A autora escreve bem e a história prende a atenção do leitor.
O herói é imaturo e fica preso ao amor do passado em que o suposto amor da vida dele o troca por um homem rico. Ele continua obcecado por ela e mesmo casado recebe cartas de amor da tal mulher. Claro que a esposa se ressente e fica amarga ao longo dos anos, afinal ele guarda com todo amor as cartas e a fotografia da ex e ainda a ama. A esposa é uma segunda escolha e ele só se casou com ela porque ela engravidou.
A esposa dele morre e an
Libby
This is the story of Adam and Madeleine and a very bad, horrible mistake. Adam is a really stupid hero. First, he's in love with the beautiful daughter of a wealthy farmer, Diana, who dumps him for a wealthy, titled older man. Says a lot about her character doesn't it? Two, his love continues to write to him AS HIS LOVER for the first year of her marriage. He doesn't write back but saves all her letters along with her miniature. Says more about her character, doesn't it? Actually, it's starting ...more
Lynsey A
2.5 stars.

I just didn't fall in love with this book. It had a good premise and it did well. However, I had a few problems. One, the heroine's sister was not a likeable character and yet we were supposed to like her in the end after she "changed". Too little, too late for me.

Two, I thought the heroine was a little too stubborn and more interested in bettering her relationship with her sister instead of the hero.

I guess I really just didn't love the book. It was a nice love story but not quite wh
Caron Pescatore
Apr 22, 2015 Caron Pescatore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christelle
J'ai été assez déçue par ce livre, même si au début je trouvé l'histoire (une sœur, Madeline Oaxley, est envoyée à la place d'une autre, Diana, à cause de la tromperie de son père, épouser un ancien soupirant de sa sœur aînée, Adam Coates, désormais veuf, dont elle a toujours été amoureuse, de l'autre côté de l'Atlantique) et le cadre historique (la Nouvelle-Ecosse de 1775) intéressants.
J'ai trouvé l'héroïne principale, Madeline, agaçante de perfection avec son altruisme désintéressé et son com
babyfishmouth
What I liked:
The setting. I have never read a romance based in Nova Scotia and it was a welcome change of pace.
The hero, Adam, was a good man. He was always honest and there were no big misunderstandings.
Adam slowly falls in love with Madelaine over the course of several months instead of the often typical "lust at first sight"
The children in the book were only briefly seen and there weren't many pages devoted to their cuteness.
This was a character driven book. No ridiculous villain or madcap
Sari
Apr 28, 2015 Sari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harlequin
So-so... Madeline terlalu pasif dan pesimis, jd ngebosenin. Overall aja yg lumayan, tema ttg perjuangan di tanah barunya aja yg mengingatkan dgn film2 klasik jd akhirnya bisa gw kasih rating #3
Rie_dominique
awalnya menarik, dimulai dari Madeline yang dikirim ayahnya ke Nova Scotia untuk menikah dengan Adam. yang tidak diketahuinya adalah sebenarnya Adam melamar Diana, kakak Madeline. Madeline yang sudah lama naksir Adam menjadi kecewa, tapi ia juga bertekad tidak ingin kembali ke Inggris karena tidak ada apapun yang menunggunya disana.

sampe pertengahan cerita intensitasnya mulai berkurang karena Adam lama sekali menyadari perasaannya kepada Madeline. dan cerita jadi sedikit mengesalkan saat Diana
Nikki
Apr 16, 2014 Nikki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So what was Adam's promise? I liked the premise and them falling in love but it was all too convenient in the end.
Emmy
Dec 29, 2012 Emmy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
**3.5**

This was a nice, predictable story. It was entertaining enough that I had read it fairly quickly, it was well written and the characters had a good amount of depth to them, but there was nothing that took the book to the next level for me and would make me want to read it again.
Gina
I really enjoyed the storyline. It was hard for me to put it down. However, I feel there was something missing, maybe it lacked the right amount of romance to make it a 4 star book. Still, it was different; therefore, refreshing....
Ana
Oct 23, 2013 Ana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too young and too old. I could not get over that. Plus Diana was so irritating...argh! I felt that some straightforward talking would have avoided all the conflict.
Cornelia
that was sweet and sad. Well written. a good MacLean
Jessie
Apr 09, 2012 Jessie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Just couldn't get on board.
Deedee
AM
AM marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Geo Marcovici
Geo Marcovici marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Monika
Monika rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Pam
Pam rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Tonya
Tonya marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Elleboon
Elleboon rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Amie
Amie rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Clare
Clare added it
Jun 16, 2016
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
  • Tender Fury
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • The Marriage Bed
  • Smoke in the Wind
  • Bride of the Lion
  • My Only Love
  • The Substitute Wife
  • The Rake's Rainbow
  • The Way of the Heart
  • Savage Desire (Brandon-Morgan #4)
  • The Bridal Veil
  • Wicked Dix (Hard Love Romance, #2)
  • What Mattered Most
  • Hawke's Pride
  • No Longer Mine
  • The Masquerade
  • Emerald Knight
  • Captive Passions (Captive, #1)
Julianne MacLean is a USA Today bestselling author of over twenty historical romance novels, including The Highlander Trilogy with St. Martin's Press and her popular Pembroke Palace Series with Avon/Harper Collins. She also writes contemporary mainstream fiction, and her 2011 release THE COLOR OF HEAVEN was a digital bestseller. She is a three-time RITA finalist, and has won numerous awards, inclu ...more
More about Julianne MacLean...

“I told her that I could not marry her, because…because I was in love with you.”
For a long time Madeline sat in her chair, immobile, listening only to the sound of her blood pounding in her ears. She stared blankly at Adam. “You can’t be.” He bowed his head. “You can’t possibly love me. I’m nothing.”
“You’re not nothing. You’re everything.”
2 likes