Start by marking “Little White Lies” as Want to Read:
Little White Lies
Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Little White Lies (Mimics of Rune #1)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  44 reviews
When the government needs a body double for a covert operation, they hire shape-shifter Charley Randall. For two centuries, she's played every part from foreign dignitary to office drone. The role she wants most, though, is one she's denied herself three times already.

FBI Agent Wyatt Moreland believes Charley's photographic memory is the key to his latest assignment. He's
Nook, 316 pages
Published June 7th 2011 by J. Taylor Publishing (first published June 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Little White Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little White Lies

Nikki  Peterson
Sep 18, 2012 Nikki Peterson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranormal romance fans
Recommended to Nikki by: Aimee Laine
I think Aimee Laine is becoming one of my faves. I loved her Hide & Seek (Games of Zeus #1) and I have to say that I definitely love this one too! I signed up up for Aimee’s Surrender Blog tour and Giveaway for next week so I had to get this one under my belt quick. I figured since I liked Hide & Seek I would like these and I wasn’t wrong. So that’s right. You have to go to http://nicsquared.com next Monday to see my review and sign up for a free read. It will be so worth your time and e ...more
J.A. Belfield
Apr 11, 2011 J.A. Belfield rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a little (okay--a lot of) romance in their lives.
As a beta reader for Ms Laine, I’m one of the lucky few who have had the privilege of reading this pre-publication. Anyone who knows me understands that I care a lot less about the females of a novel (even if they’re the MC) than I do about the males. If I can’t connect with the main male, then you’ve already lost me.
Did Little White Lies deliver on this?
Oh, you betcha!
Not only did I find myself rooting for Wyatt, but also had an enormous soft spot for a secondary male character (of course, th
Jocelyn Adams
I’ve had the pleasure of reading a few works of the wonderfully talented Aimee Laine, and this one didn’t disappoint. Anyone who loves a sweet romance will eat this up and lick their fingers clean when they’re done. Charley is a strong heroine, something I look for in everything I read, and Wyatt is equally strong, purely good and yummy enough to star in a fantasy or two. ::cough::

The twist on shifters is a fresh one, the strong story builds naturally and the sexual tension between Charley and W
Jennifer at BookShelfery
If you enjoy paranormal romance, shape-shifters and secret government ops, you'll love Aimee Laine's Little White Lies. Told in the third-person, Little White Lies is about the "mimic" Charley Randall and her long-time love interest Wyatt Moreland. Mimics are true shape-shifters: they can take the shape of any person (and sometimes animal, depending on the Mimic) they see. Charley Randall has been shifting for over 200 years, using her talents and skill to aide in government operations, like com ...more
Ashley Chen
When I first saw the synopsis I immediately fell in love. Once I started reading, I loved it even more! The story itself reminded of the TV show Fringe, very intense and captivating.

I love Charley, a Mimic able to replicate any human female form. Charley was an amazing character, and I loved seeing things from her perspective! She was a fantastic narrator, and so fierce! I saw another reviewer thought of Mystique from X-men when comparing to Charley. I do see that but I think her personalty remi
Pam
If you like classic romantic books this one is for you. The back and forth or self-doubt between the lovers, the many obstacles in their way of just coming out and being honest with themselves, another jaded set of lovers in the mix... this book has it all. The sexual interludes and language are done in a fashion that a younger adult might find it to their liking as well. While my dirty old mind wanted a little more steam, the love factor still existed.

If I had to pick out one thing I didn't car
Rick F.
loved this book- so original, so well written!!! Ms. Laine is truly an writer to watch...and read!!!

A James Mason Community Book Club Must Read

Rick Friedman
Shannon
Had I not been offered this one for review I doubt that I would have read it and that would have been a shame. To be honest, the cover does nothing for me and I am pretty sure I have seen variations of it on other books. The title I think is a little misleading too. From the title and cover you would have no idea what a wonderful paranormal story is hiding in the pages! I think that this one could appeal to both adults and teens who like paranormal stories. There is a great romance here too.

Litt
Holly
Wendy
WOW! This was an awesome story, read it cover to cover in ONE sitting because I could NOT put it down!
The main characters, Charley and Wyatt, are fabulous. I can visualize them in my head and feel like I know them personally. The supporting characters are amazing too. James, Lily, Cael and even Stuart each have their own story lines that intertwine beautifully with the main characters. I do hope we hear more from them soon. (Hint, Hint!)
I read a lot of paranormal romances and haven’t seen anyth
Terri Rochenski
Excellent. Just excellent. And this comes from a non-paranormal romance reader.

Ms. Laine's characters ooze heartache, passion, fear, and axiety. It's impossible not to be sucked into their world. Shape shifters, FBI agents, a high school prom, pole dancing, and mice... what a ride.
Martha
This was my first "paranormal romance". I had to get used to the shape-shifter idea in the first few pages, but then their personalities emerged and I really loved getting to know each one. This book has a good blend of intrigue and romance. Good read!
Ambur
I loved the idea of this story, and once I started reading, I loved it even more! Charley was an amazing character, and I loved seeing things from her perspective! She was a fantastic narrator, and so fierce! The narration also shifts around to Wyatt frequently, and even to another character named Stuart at one point, and I have to say that loved that it shifted to Stuart, it made that part of the book super mysterious! I also loved Wyatt's parts. ;)

When I read the blurb for this story I thought
Giulia Napoli
A fun but challenging read. The author has an interesting writing style that took me a while to get used to. She assumes that the reader can "fill in the blanks" to some extent, and leaves a lot unsaid.

The story was creative, interesting and the characters were fun. I did get a little impatient with all the "secrets" that the main character was keeping to herself. Since the story was told both from the perspective of this character and her male interest, I kept thinking that the main character w
Rebecca Hart
I took this one with me to Cape Cod this month and have to say that I wasn't disappointed. I found the writer's style easy to read and the characters three dimensional and endearing.

I have to admit, I did have some trouble in the early going -- I had trouble following what was happening from a backstory perspective. I felt for the first quarter of the book that I had missed something or that sunstroke had attacked me on the beach and that was why I wasn't following the plot. I think some of the
Cameo
I just finished reading Little White Lies. I've never read a book on shape-shifters, but this one was great.It was fast paced, and kept me glued to the pages. The author painted a wonderful and detailed world of shape-shifters or Mimics, and a plot filled with undercover ops, shape-shifting, your not-normal birthday, love, romance, and twists.
Charley, Wyatt, Cael, James and Lily, were all wonderful characters, as were the others. As the story progressed, I began to love them more and more. Jame
Steven Tudor
Wow! At first it was a little confusing and hard to follow. But once I got into it, I could not put it down. I look forward to more in this series to see what happens with other or new characters. I hope we can also keep up with Wyatt and Charley. Oh, and being a guy, I loved the pole dancing. But that is not kept me reading. I was really kept on edge, trying to figure out who's doing what towards the end. I would have liked the end to stretch a little farther, but I highly recommend this book a ...more
Michelle
Aimee Laine pulled in on right on the first page.

If you like the paranormal, then you'll love Little White Lies! I can't wait to see what happens with her other characters, Lily, Cael, James, Maggie, Stuart and Sophie!
Christine Johnson
This book was a great read. I enjoyed the imagination of what the characters' abilities are and also couldn't stop reading to see what happens with Charley and Wyatt.
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Little White lies is a story like no other. It is fulled with mystery, secrets and a unknown world. I have never read a book like this before and I have to say that I have not seen another book like this out there.I have to say I love my men in uniform and Wyatt is an FBI Agent who thinks Charley's photographic memory is the key to solving his case. What he doesn't know is her true identity.All Wyatt knows is that he needs her help solving his case.

When the two of them are together Wyatt feels l
Denna
This is a little harder novel to review than most of those that catch my attention by the blurb. I love romance novels about shifters and jumped at the chance when I saw this one offered the promise of something new in the genre. Usually I’m a love it or hate it type of reader when I start a novel. I want the text to grab me right from the first sentence and not let go. If it doesn’t—or at least fairly close to the beginning—I’ll tend to lose interest and put it down. Big maybe on whether or not ...more
Danielle Smiley
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Romantic Suspense
Publisher Type: Small Press

My Review:
And I thought I loved Aimee Laine's work before?!? Little White Lies blew me away!!! You might know from my review of Hide and Seek, that Aimee Laine's gift for verbalizing beautiful romance leaves me speechless ... and breathless!!! The love she is able to describe is pure fairy-tale and sweeps you off your feet.

Her leading ladies are the consummate balance of tough yet tender, confident yet unsure, world-wise yet
R. Brennan
Sep 13, 2011 R. Brennan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance Readers

I have to admit, I did have some trouble in the early going with this one -- I had trouble following what was happening from a backstory perspective. I felt for the first quarter of the book that I had missed something or that sunstroke had attacked me on the beach and that was why I wasn't following the plot as eas
Stephanie (Once Upon a Chapter)
Denise
Little White Lies (Mimics of Rune #1)
by Aimee Laine (Goodreads Author)
Synopsis from Goodreads

"When the government needs a body double for a covert operation, they hire shape-shifter Charley Randall. For two centuries, she’s played every part from foreign dignitary to office drone. The role she wants most, though, is one she’s denied herself three times already.
FBI Agent Wyatt Moreland believes Charley’s photographic memory is the key to his latest assignment. He’s oblivious to the true extent
Meaganr
This book was unique in every way: the paranormal aspect, the characters, just the story line in general... just everything really. It was both refreshing and exciting to read.
Since the paranormal beings in this book weren't the stereotypical/kinda overused ones, the mystery of the book wasn't a matter of if they are affected by crosses this time or not; it was more like... um, I have no idea what to expect! and I loved that. I got to discover the secrets about the characters as they were divul
MandyM
Although this book has received plenty of good reviews I struggled to connect with the storyline and the characters. The story is vague and it took me a while to realise the nature of Charley and her colleagues. The initial scene at the roadside was confusing. I liked Charley and Wyatt as high school students but the rest of the book didn't live up to it's promise. Charley's constant lies to Wyatt, even though they tell Stuart everything, really bugged me. Her behaviour towards him often bordere ...more
Anna Simpson
'Little White Lies' is the first book in the Mimic of Rune Series.

If you meet the man of your dreams but he isn't quite ready for a serious relationship, then what? If you met him again would you revive the relationship?

What stands out for me is no surprise--the love story. Adding a touch of crime, FBI, and the mimics makes an interesting mix.

Others of the series are: 'Misguided' found in 'Into the Unknown.'
Carlie
Just realised that I hadn't reviewed this amazing book, even though I finished it a while ago.
I was gripped from start to finish, loved all the main characters and really looking forward to reading more from this talented author. Keep up the good work.
  • Darkness & Light (Holloway Pack, #1)
  • The Glass Man (Lila Gray, #1)
  • Demon Seed (Good Will Ghost Hunting, #1)
  • Oracle
  • Elemental Reality (Elemental, #1)
  • Shifting Pride
  • PineLight (PineLight, #1)
  • After Dark (The 19th Year, #1)
  • Mating Claire (Sea Island Wolves, #1)
  • Tempting the Enemy (Resurrection, #1)
  • Playing Hooky (Paranormal Investigations, #1)
  • Big Girls Don't Die (In the Heat of the Night, Book 2)
  • The Devil Makes Three (The Devil You Know, #1)
  • Fire and Ice (Triple Trouble, #0.7)
  • Grayson's Gamble (Dawn Endeavor #5)
Aimee is a romantic at heart and a southern transplant with a bit of the accent (but not a whole bunch). She's married to her high school sweetheart, and with him, she's produced three native North Carolinians, two of whom share the same DNA.

With an MBA and a degree in Applied Mathematics, there’s absolutely no reason she should be writing romance novels. Then again, she shouldn't need a calculato
More about Aimee Laine...

Mimics of Rune (2 books)
  • Surrender (Mimics of Rune, #2)
Hide & Seek (Games of Zeus, #1) Surrender (Mimics of Rune, #2) Silent Echoes (Games of Zeus, #2) Silent Echoes (Games of Zeus Book 2) Into The Unknown (Holloway Pack #1.5, Mimics of Rune #1.5, Lila Gray #1.5)